2017-09-06 00:50:06

hi,
sorry for reviving an inactive  topic,  but is this game still being developed?

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2017-09-07 00:19:13

I've been wondering that for a long time. I really want to see this game

2017-09-07 01:06:07

I don't want to say for certain that its stopped, however the long silence from the developer has me thinking that its no longer being developed. I could be and hope I an wrong, though.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-09-07 15:25:15

I tink before you come out with a sequel you need to fix the bugs in one lol no offense

2017-09-07 16:26:01

Last I heard that's what they were doing with Entombed 2.0.

Two years ago I got ahold of an alpha of version 2.0 and that was the last I heard about or from them.

I have long since uninstalled the game since I considered it dead.

2017-09-07 19:39:08 (edited by Swagtastic 2017-09-07 19:41:41)

An update from the dev would be greatly appreciated, considering how much I love entombed.

Alternatively, I'll mention this.. The original game should probably be made open-source or reclassified as abandonware. All of the bugs in that thing are nowhere near worth $40. It's pretty shitty business operation  to charge people so much for a clearly abandoned, half-finished product that doesn't, and probably won't receive, any additional updates. Though it's not the same type of game... Survive the Wild costs around a third of that at $15 for a premium account, and that game has 10x the depth, functions properly,  and actually receives updates. If the code for Entombed was put out there, i'm pretty sure there'd be a few people in the community that would jump at the oppurtunity to try to fix some of it's more irritating bugs. (Like the inability to use great swords that are incredibly overpriced.)

Not trying to be a downer or be Mr. Negative. Just putting my two cents in. People who disagree are entitled to that. Just my opinion.

2017-09-07 22:41:08

Let's not forget that Entombed uses an incredibly (now) old version of C#.NET. If anyone's going to work on that, the first thing that needs to be done is modernization.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-08 01:56:17

Swagtastic, I like the game and it's genry, but I completely agree with you there. The game is old and we have stuff that overcomes it in quality and is also free. Not trying to diminish the efforts of the developers or anything, but guess you guys got my line.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-04-03 01:55:59

Dingo wrote:

Great point about resting! It won't be done like Entombed 1. That type of resting mechanic is a bit old school now. There are a few ways I could solve resting.

1: You automatically heal after an encounter. This is how many modern RPGs do it now. The encounter is the challenge, and if you pass it, no need to micromanage your character - they're rested up automatically. With this in mind, encounters could be more challenging because the party will be known to be at full health. I think this makes them easier to balance too.

2: You can't rest. Your characters wear their damage until they've returned to a safe haven or healed by a battle action like a spell. This means the further you press on, the riskier the battles are. This could be difficult to balance. Some incentive would be required to urge the a player on. Better loot rewards? Bonus experience? This could be interesting, but a lot more thought would be needed.

I know this is an old topic, but just wanted to chime in with thoughts about resting and exploration.

Personally, I love exploration. For me, battles are tedious, but seeing new environments or finding interesting loot/locations and wandering around is stimulating. I like the idea to have more things in the environment to interact with. Climbing a tree or drinking from a fountain or even going swimming. Maybe that doesn't fit this genre. I don't know. But that's the kind of gamer I am.

In terms of healing after fights, I'd love automatic healing, but that feels unrealistic. Not resting at all is also unrealistic. Entombed made it simple, which I like. If one has to find safe places to rest, my concern would be having a steady supply of healing/magic potions so you can always restock.

Having food sounds more tedious than fun. I never enjoyed games where you had to worry about such mundanities as torches.

I'm probably in the minority here, but wanted to get that out there.

P.S. I think it'd be fun to randomize the order of environments, too. This way, you can't know which setting is coming next.

2018-04-03 05:51:43

Is anything even happening with this game? I've played entombed and beaten it once. I liked the idea but sadly didn't find it all that engaging. I think a lot of it had to do with the baron landscape as others have suggested. That and I totally missed the hype train leading up to the game (if that was even a thing.) I played it about a year after it's release, probably because I had no idea it was even a thing until it was.

2018-04-03 10:24:08

na we've seen the last I think of this. this thread should either be closed or deleted it's pretty much dead.

2018-04-03 11:39:21

Oh, just ignore it and it will fade away, just like all the other old threads.

2019-04-25 10:41:32

Hi,
Sorry again for reviving the topic. Jason has made the original Entombed freeware. Does anyone know whether the 2 version is being developed?  I have never gotten anywhere near as much enjoyment that I got with Entombed when I was first playing it. This game has really enormous potential if it were developed.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-04-25 13:31:10

ug!
Do you know, not me because I've seen this thread, how many people you probably freaked out.
They see, entombed 2, and then realize the first post was like 5 or more years ago!
Make! A separate! Thread!

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-04-25 14:33:26

@314, and the post before eans's post was 1 year ago, so no need to yell at him. Just don't get excited so much. I don't understand the point of other people, that is if your reviving topics from 1 3 years old your becoming a punchbag and everyone's yelling at you. If you would revive a topic from 2010, or eeven 2005 that would be ridiculus, yeah.

2019-04-25 15:17:41

This wasn't a really old topic. 2015 isn't massively long ago. Also last posts were less than a year ago so.

2019-04-25 15:50:49

Hi I've been longing for a game like this. Is it out now? and how much is it? Wear can I download it from? Please let me know as soon as you can. Thank you.

2019-04-25 15:52:41 (edited by Still_Standing 2019-04-25 15:59:58)

hay, at'least it's  2015, not 2010 or  like 7 or 8years ago, it's still new, and i'm wondering about   the developer if he is still in the forum, last post from him was in 2015

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-04-25 17:32:55

I am also curious to know where to get the free version of Entombed from, if this is still the case. I think this question has been asked before but I forgot the answer. Plus then, I'm wondering if, of course, the db will then need updating, so this info would be useful to know.

2019-04-25 17:43:57

The game is abandoned. The problem we have in this community is that no one develops these games full time. In addition, it seems like no one wants to team up and collaborate on a big project. *sigh*

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-04-25 17:52:16

@320, teaming up on large projects is hard. I have some ideas, and am considering publishing it (its a spin on the general idea of Entombed, with many twists), but it won't be easy. Plus its written in C++ and I'm not switching to Python when I've already got a general framework that is not easily ported to Python. (that sadly is the major issue with Python -- most of the libraries I would need are out of date and/or have rotted.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-25 20:55:22

I don't wana be a jerk, I really don't, but this has gone on enough.
Chris, what's your problem, man?
Is every game developer supposed to spend all their time on making games and never abandon them? Shocker, Chris, they don't. In the mainstream community, projects get abandoned. Projects drop like flies. Projects lose support and you buy them at your own risk. So, why? Why are audiogame developers held to "Support games for eternity" standard?
We should have group projects. Totally, Chris, totally. Let me see you learn how to code, build up a trust with the community, become respected, and then try and find a team and keep it together. Then we'll see how much you scream about teamwork. I love group effort, and I, the same as you, believe that great things happen when a crowd of talented individuals get together and collaborate, but it's much, much more difficult than just saying "Hey! Let's make a game together!" You need to make sure you can work with the person or people in question, you need to make sure that everyone who is going to collaborate has at least the same level of experience, and you need to have a clear goal in mind, not a basic idea. You need to plan, you need to understand and picture your final product, you need to make sure that everyone has a task that they can accomplish within a reasonable time, and you need to have a way of enforcing deadlines. Have fun with that.
I would also like to point out several general issues: How are you gonna pay the developers for their time? How much will you pay them? How will you deal with the different times and locations? Will you allow some fallback time if a person has failed to meet their expected date? What is the punishment for failing multiple times? What is the minimal level of experience allowed on a team? Who is in charge of balancing and mechanics? Who writes the story? How do you split the work evenly across the entire team? What are your deadlines going to be? What is the platform you will use for your work? How are you going to decide if a person who has a questionable background is allowed on your team? And so on.
So, Chris, yes. Show everyone that group projects are easy by organizing one yourself. Let me know how it works out.
As for full time development, do we really need to discuss why we don't have a lot of that? Yes? Fine.
I'll give a major example: Youtube. Do you know how many people live by making videos for their channel? Hundreds. Do you know why they are able to do that? Here's a hint: views. Here's an answer: People. By getting a lot of views, the owner of a Youtube channel can potentially get more advertisements. The ads in turn will give that person more money, which will lead to them buying new content for the channel  and attracting new people. Those people in turn will cause the channel views to go up, looping back to where we started, advertisements.
Let's do another example: Mainstream games have thousands of sales, which in turn leads to the company recovering the money they spend on the project and then getting some extra to support them in their development efforts. I should also point out that in some cases the community pays for the project to become real, so that involves less spending on the company's part and also allows the company to get a greater return over all.
Now let me ask you this, Chris. Can audiogame developers do the same? Can they rely on their audiogame to sell enough to cover their living costs until they release something new? I think we just answered your question.
By all means, Chris, proove me wrong. Make something that will support you until you release something else that will do the same for the audiogame market. If you can do that, let me know.

2019-04-25 21:24:05 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-25 21:25:38)

@322, very, very well done! I'm serious, too! I'd like to add that if the project is open source, payment and all of that becomes far less of a problem, but that isn't always the best way to go. And it gets far harder when your on your own, writing a game from scratch. Ever written a game in c++ before? No? How about Python? No again? I'll sum it up for ya: its hard. Want to add basic visuals, like 2D text? Makes the project even harder. How about online mode and scripting languages for modders? Way, way harder. Why do you think companies spend millions (yes, millions!) of dollars on games alone? And these games that companies make aren't always with in-house engines; some of them are made with game engines like Unity or Unreal and still, millions are spent on these games.

My Github

2019-04-26 03:01:54

Hi Arron,
Well what Jason said on the group was that if you created a driftwood account, the game is now free, as your account is upgraded to allow activation.

2019-04-26 04:19:29

Hi:

It’s a pity this game seems to be abandoned. I played Entombed 1 for reasons of nostalgia a couple of times, but never really got into it like I used to. Entombed II promised to be so much better ... but as has been mentioned before, game developers are people with lives outside of their projects. And Did he ever mention that he had a team of dedicated helpers behind him? No? Then we should be grateful for what he managed to do when he had the time resources to do so.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134