2007-09-07 11:05:12 (edited by dark empathy 2007-09-09 16:25:14)

This morning we have several game updates to report (hence the random title). though thinking about it, I'd personally rather like to own a gigantic magical bouncing rubber sphere!

First we'll talk baseball. Jim kitchen has put together a shiny new version of his baseball game. If you Wander over to the kitchinsinc site you'll find the Winbase4 file packed with new improvements to the game, including editable player names, more commercials, more review keys, A separate batting practice program where you can choose the type of pitch to practice on and even a rules of baseball Txt file for people not familiar with things around the diamond. As with all new versions, there's lots of bug squashing as well.

Now secondly, there's that spanish number 1. Ian Humphries of Spoonbill soft, has added another title to his Blind gamers series, this one a computer wrendition of the popular card game. Uno is a game with similar rules to 2's or crazy 8's, played with a custome set of 100 cards. You can Investigate further on the spoonbill website and also find links to E-mail your request for the game to Ian.

Finally we have magic!! Obviously I ran into an obliviater recently, sinse I utterly forgot to report new developements from Lile, him of the Solaris Xylon infestations!

His new text game, Legend of the sorceress is ready and waiting to provide you with some intreaguing puzles, as you try to escape an unpleasant and bewildering place where nothing is what it seems, ----- it reminds me of trying to get out of London!

As always Enter the scary door to Lile's site to begin the confusion!

Happy gaming, and beware of giant baseballs!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-09 09:49:42

Andy, I don't know what exactly you're "correcting" here (and I put correcting in quotes there).
First, the arcade-style baseball game had a couple of weird quirks, but I wouldn't have outright called them bugs. For instance, I've seen someone score from second on a ground ball infield hit to second base (this will almost NEVER happen, but his baserunning always takes advantage).
There -is, however, a gbug in this newer version:
If you attempt a hit-and-run and your batter strikes out, causing your runner to be thrown out,  resulting in your third out in the inning, when you start the next inning you'll be using the same batter that just struck out. To explain: batter 5 gets on base. Batter 6 strikes out but the team tries a hit-and-run. When batter 5 is thrown out essentially trying to steal, the next inning comes up and it's batter 6 batting again. This does not happen in professional baseball. It's an easy fix, and in general I'm pleased with the way the baseball game works...though I wish the pitcher/relief pitcher thing was a bit better to execute and I -REALLY- wish he'd slap together halfway decent team profiles (it'd take some time, but I'm not talking stats here).

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-09-09 16:23:14

Actually andy, the reason I didn't report Baseball V4, was simply that when I wrote this post V3 was the newest version, simple as that. As the two versions came out so close together though, it doesn't seem worht another post, so I'll just edit this one appropriately.

I can't comment on any of the rule wanglings, as I know even less about pro baseball than I do about most sports, ----- I did at least play crickit and football (of the English variety), in school at one point.

In fact, I think the reason Jim included the baseball rules file was becausse I, ---- and probably some other people not from the Us, mentioned we found the game a bit confusing.

As for team profiles, I'm not quite sure what you mean there Jayde, but I do enjoy editing the player names, ----- at the moment I've got Dumbledoor's army up against the Death eaters, with all appropriate player names, ----- I've even had Draco malfoy got out by dobby, which was amusing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-10 04:57:44

Team profiles...meaning that instead of just making up random names or using the names of people he knows, he could go get a publicized 40-man roster for each team and put the players in appropriate spots on the team. This is a few steps up from the name editor he includes with this version, so let's hope it comes soon.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-09-10 07:44:18

I can see this being good for fans of the actual game, ----- but wouldn't he have to change it each season to keep up with new player sign ups, transfers etc? This might be quite a task if each team has 40 players, ----- though I don't know how often player line ups change in baseball, ----- in football everything seems to switch around each new season, and sometimes mid season as well I believe.

I personally prefer to play as custome created teams though myself, sinse I know neither the players nor the real life teams, and thus playing as them just wouldn't mean much to me.

2007-09-10 10:42:45

I agree there Dark. It is perhaps something people could throw together and submit, if the format permitted this?

I always felt baseball was far closer to rounders than cricket, but ah well. There are so many similarities between some of these sports *cough*. I'll have to give this a go some time just for the heck of it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-10 12:29:15

I believe your right about baseball and rounders, it's just that I was forced into playing crickit far more at school than rounders, and at one school I went two, all the lads were crickit mad.

then again, being as about all I've had to do with sport is occasionally avoiding rampaging mobs of England or Newcastle united football supporters, that's not saying mucch.

As a computer game though, Win Baseball is moderately fun, though you do need to read the rules to get the knack of the terminology.

Personally, I stil prefer Jim's golf game when I want to play something vaguely sports orientated, but that's me.

2007-09-11 18:38:28

Multiplayer in monopoly would be great, especially if there were a basic version with limited visuals for sighted friends/family. I know at least one person I would like to play monopoly with over the internet. Sadly though the games seem mostly fairly basic type ones, but it would still be very very nice.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-11 21:01:01

For all those sorts of games, and that goes for the spoonbill ones as well, I'd say multiplayer support would be great! I'd particularly like to be able to pla hearts against other humans, sinse the computer Ai in Bg hearts is rather predictable.

I've occasionally played monopoly and game of life against various friends of mine, and they don't actually mind not having the visuals too much, though I agree it'd be rather nice to have them.

the main trouble I find in Jim's monopoly though (and the reason i don't play it too much), is that the single computer opponent is an idiot! it buys up everything in site to the point that it has to morgage properties, where as i tend to prefer concentrating on a few properties and making them as upgraded as possible.

sinse (unlike in the rules of monopoly I'm used to), a morgaged property is stil owned by the person who morgaged it, the game usually devolves into the computer owning most of the board, but unable to collect any wrent, and me waiting for it to land on the three or four highly developed properties I own, ----- this can get rather dull.

Imho Jim really needs to add the option for morgaged properties to be up for sale again.

I also stil think that the custome boards should come with custome pieces and money. Being used to the traditional English version of the game set in London, using dollars instead of pounds on that board seems a bit strange. Also, it'd be great to have Creddits on the Starwars board, Latinum on the startrek board, gallians for Harry potter etc.

2007-09-12 00:51:10 (edited by Mike 2007-09-12 00:53:27)

When I play Monopoly, what happens is the comp usually buys everything until I have like 2 in the group and the computer has one or the other way around. I usually manage to trade it for something so I can have a full group, then build hotels on it and wait for the computer to go bankrupt landing on it. It gets very, very dull.
As for playing with sighted friends, most of them say its boring especially in life with the sapi just blabbing away and us just sitting there hitting a key every minute or so. I'd love internet support.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-12 01:38:47

Hi:

I think a long time ago Jim was interviewed on Main Menu and he was asked if he would make any games that had on line play and jim said he didn't exactlu know how to but anyways, I like his games a lot especially monopoly.

Game Man

2007-09-13 09:41:49

Well fair enough about the lack of online multiplayer stuff, but I do rather wish either there was more variation in the rules, or that the computer could be made less of an idiot.

In the rules I know, we play "no buying on first time round the board" and if a property is morgaged, it goes back to being on sale to anyone who lands on it.

It'd also be nice if Jim could add multiple computer players to keep things interesting when your playing a solo game.

2007-09-13 10:22:56

Hi, I can't seem to download the Winbase4.exe file. Every time I do it, either by saving or running it, my computer says: "Error. Winbase4.exe is not a valid win32 application. Can somebody give me advice on how to handle this problem?

To know, and not to do, is not to know.

2007-09-13 13:46:46

Well Tablen, I've just done a brief test and it seemed to download and install okay for me, so obviously the site is working properly and the file's not corrupt or anything like that.

Have you installed the winkit file? I probably ought to have said in the news post, but this sets up the directory where all Jim's games extract their files to, as well as creating start menue icons. If you haven't already installed Winkit, this might be the problem.

I've Heard that there's a minor issue with vista and the self-extracting zip archives Jim's games come in. I believe people have found a way around this, but I'm not exactly sure what it is as I'm stil running Windows Xp. If your using Vista, I suggest sending Jim an E-mail, ----- he's very good about providing tech help and feedback, so even if your not running vista but stil having problems I'd recommend you talk to him.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.