2007-09-07 02:24:35

Hi,
Since you aren't going to update agm, could you make it opensource? People could update it and share there updates, etc etc.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-07 03:02:36

Who said they weren't going to update it? This is only the beta.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-07 05:34:48

It is a little presumptious to say what they "should" do.

However if further work were to be discontinued it would be nice if they would at least ask for someone to take it over. There is no use making it open source if there are going to be 5 different versions as a result, and open source is still an option that could be discussed if and/or when they reached that point.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-08 17:00:03 (edited by cx2 2007-09-08 17:01:21)

I still believe it would be more productive to ask someone to take over, and discuss whether making that open source or not.

Simply declaring it open source will make a free for all, and we don't need 4 different versions of AGM which are non-compatible.

And I still feel using the word "should" is too strong for the situation. It makes it sound like you are telling them what to do, not simply raising the option.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-09 00:04:36

Yeah litterally Audio Game Maker, maker! Make a new audio game maker! lol

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-09 18:31:30

Yes, i agree... But if it is made open source, someone could at least make it in directX.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-09 21:55:09

It's in Flash. I personally feel DirectX wouldhave been the way to go. I've noticed that the sounds don't pan properly when you're walking around. In my adventure game for instance, which I've pretty much abandoned until such time as these issues are resolved, you have to find and pick up a key in order to enter the castle, but wit the way the sounds are curently played you really have no idea if you're facing the right direction to pick up the key. THen there's the huge flaw of how items continue to make their default sound even after being picked up, and monsters after they die. Several people have pointed this out to them, pointing out that if people can't get their games to behave the way they want them to, they're not going to be inclined to usethe program, and therefore they won't get the feedback they need or the funding to continue. I understand that they're busy with other stuff, but so's Liam and a whole lot of other people, and they still find time to help people with their problems with their products whether free or not. I'm not saying this to be mean or to offend anybody, but I'm speaking from a customer's perspective here. If the product doesn't work they're not gonna want to use it.
  As for making it open source, I think that if they're forced to discontinue the project they'd be smarter to ask somebody else to take over the poject. That way there wouldn't be fifty-thousand differet and incompatible AGMs out there.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-09-10 07:49:40

That's exactly what I was saying. Ask someone to take custody of the project, it may or may not still be open source but even if it were there would only be one development branch in this case.

cx2
-----