2015-04-13 22:24:51

I've played this game a couple times. I'm not really sure I like it though, do to the fact that quests are timed, meaning that you have a certain amount of time to do them. Also, as was mentioned, I don't like the fact that when you die, your corpse and all the lute n it is fair game for anyone, unlike alter where nothing except gold stays on your corpse. This is one of the things that really annoyed me about the game, because I died once and had to get completely new equipment because I couldn't find my corpse. I'm also not sure I like the fact that you can just speedwalk to areas automaticly without having to find them. I think this takes the exploring element out of the game.
I've also tried a mud called lostsouls which is similar to this but didn't really like that one either.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2015-04-13 22:54:31

@Briant,  actually people can't loot your corpse. You can lose it, but apparently there are players who specialize in corpse retrieval and will help.

With the quests and time, well sinse you only need to find one mob and you can  speedwalk streight to the area and use the "where mob" command to find what room the mob is in, and sinse you have I believe an hour for each quest I've not  found the time a problem, much better than say the timed quests used to be in materiamagica which were too harsh, oh, and for campaigns you actually get several days.

As for speedwalks though, I do agree there, the zones are fun, but you don't really get an idea of the full size or layout of the world, which is a shame, and very different from a game like alter,  materiamagica or clok.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-04-14 02:19:48

As far as doing a CR [corpse retrieval] you can ask on gossip or the question/answer channel to get help with that as dark indicated. There's actually a number of ways to get your corpse back.

You can almost always find someone from the watchman clan to help you with a Cr.
To find one, type who watchman and one should be online. If he or she is a higher level than you and is available, they'll get your corpse back for sure.

If you're corpse has been out there for a while and you're not able to get it back with help. You can spend a trivia point to have it retrieved for you. Just runto ravi and type TPSpend corpse, and it'll be brought back to you and dumped on the floor. lol
If you're not sure if you have a TP [trivia point] type worth.

Always be sure to cast or quaff a giant strength potion before getting your stuff from your corpse. you can quickly become overloaded with weight if you're a caster class and your str is low.

hth
smile

2015-04-14 04:16:21

You can also go to the temple, and pray to the high priestess to get your corpse back.  I did that the first time I died.  You can only do that three times I think, but it is another option.  It is easy to get help though.  When I died the second time, I asked for help on the newbie channel, and someone was there within two minutes.

Once I got used to the game, the timing of quests didn't bother me.

I actually love the speedwalks, and I wish more Muds had them.  I feel like it frees me up to play parts of the game quests etc., and it gives me the opportunity to explore areas I might not be able to get to otherwise. I just feel like it gives me the best of both worlds, because if I have something specific to do, I don't waste a lot of time searching back and forth just to get where I'm going, but then I still have the option to explore at a leisurely pace when I feel like doing that.

2015-04-14 16:20:24

Well I was on earlier today, i  finished the last lesson in my academy and also did a quest, although on the second quest I tried I couldn't find the location I needed sinse the area was huuuuuge! I  will also have to get some new equipment at some point too, sinse at the moment I'm not walking around with much, but I really dislike minimaxing in games.

I also  haven't got anywhere with the graveyard goal, though admitedly I only tried for a bit between quests.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-04-17 15:29:33

I've just returned to this place, my name is Hathron on there if anyone wants to chat or anything
trying out mage as a primary for curiosities sake, though all the classes seem fairly interesting to be honest.

2015-04-17 21:20:32

Well I'm leaving this mud for a while sinse I'm a bit narked. I have killed all my campaign mobs, accept for one, and have died twice killed by agro mobs in a temple trying to find the sodding thing, and for goodness ake it's a bloody sewer rat! methinks this campaign system be unbalanced.

2015-04-18 08:49:38

the mud seems to be down... what the

devin

2015-04-18 21:33:26

Its a really rare thing if Aardwolf is offline. currently its up and running.

2015-04-19 01:32:13

I can't connect. is the info ardmud.org port 23?

devin

2015-04-19 03:18:38

This info comes from their site at:
http://www.aardwolf.com/
If you already have a MUD client, you can connect to Aardwolf using aardwolf.org (66.228.127.34) port 4000.
You can also use port 23 if you have a firewall blocking port 4000.
If you have problems connecting, feel free to mail
[email protected]
for help.

hth

2015-04-19 09:51:42

I have seen them have temporary blips but they're usually back up within minutes.

2015-04-30 14:53:35

hi all, i just forgot how to attack the mob. for example i want attack cobold. how i do that? thanks

2015-04-30 14:57:26

mmm, try attack kobold or kill kobold? or maybe use one of your spells or skills to start combat.

2017-02-27 14:01:51

Well yes, as I've been enjoying erion, I thought I would give aardwolf another try, since in erion my progress was getting a little slow for my liking.

Aardwolf I have discovered two things that make playing easier.
Firstly, that if you ask people are a bit nicer about goal hints. and secondly that

This page

is your friend when trying to get from a to b, whether in terms of quests or goals, indeed I think had I used that page I would've been in a better position.

eqsearch all can provide you with pretty good gear for most things provided you go and get it, though I've not yet sorted the hole quest items thing, levels come fairly quickly which is nice, though goals provide something interesting to do between quests.

So, hopefully if anyone is still playing they can give hints.

Now there are things I like in erion more thanaardwolf. Their global quest system is far fairer and less spammy, they don't have corpses, and quest points are relatively much easier to obtain, so I'll keep an eye on where erion goes, but in fairness I don't think I was quite fair to aardwolf generally.

2017-02-28 23:26:13

I dunno. Aardwolf prides itself on its questing (not goals, questing) which is extremely repetitive and tedious. I'm sorry, but having virtually the same text spat at you every x minutes so you can get a handful of qp is boring. I want my goals to give me qp. Sometimes they do, mostly they don't. What's more, you're expected to get literally tens of thousands of quest points eventually so you can purchase the best gear, so you're in for the long haul. A lot of people on Aardwolf use bots/triggers/that sort of thing for questing, if that gives you any idea.
I also have some serious problems with the sheer lack of cohesion on that game. Mobs do random damage types (I once had a cow doing suction damage, and a tornado doing grep damage...what the hell is grep, anyway, except a programming term?), goals are rife with guess-the-syntax puzzles, and the tier/remort system is, in a word, brutal. Probably not as brutal as other mods, it's true, and they do sometimes have double-EXP bonuses in play and whatnot, but it's still extremely repetitive. Take it from me. I have a tier 1 venomist (not a tier 0, which is what you start as), so I've been around the block a few times. I've also done approximately 75 goals, and frankly the only reason I was able to do some of them was by looking them up on the internet. If you have to rely on guess-the-syntax for artificial difficulty inflation, then you're doing it wrong as a programmer.

So this is the sort of place you go for mindless killing and questing. Its lore is basically nil. Its RP is basically nil. Its systems are very grind-oriented. Its cohesion is basially nil. Its goals can be interesting but usually involve guessing verbs or syntax. So...uh, yeah. Have fun, I guess? I pop in there every so often when I'm cataclysmically bored.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2017-02-28 23:42:38

I don't know jade, I have liked questing at least as far as it goes, because I've always enjoyed a seak mission in an interesting area, though usually  interspurse campaigns and quests with doing other things like goals.
I'm not sure on brutality of the tier system, though they have recently had a revamp of that so that people get a bit more over all progression as  to needing to restart.

In terms of goals, I will say I've done 6 or 7 so far did find a couple slightly obscure, ie, they had a solution which required something more than could be found in the descriptions.
Equally though people are a little nicer about sharing info than previously, especially if it's just a matter of looking for a mob, and also aardwolf does have some very solid tools for looking things up, ---- eg, a locked door puzzle isn't quite so bad when you can just use the map tool and be instantly told where the key is.