2007-09-03 00:54:42

Hi CX2,

In another topic, you mentioned a mud were you have to take things and deliver them.

Man, where do you get all these cool muds from? I mean, you really have to right, if this is battletech, a user guide for jaws users because if I learned how you play i'd play for hours.

Thanks.

2007-09-03 10:42:29

No it isn't the Battletech mux. I've told them what could help time and again, and the guy who runs it still says they don't know what they can do to help. I've almost given up on it. You might be interested in the topic where a Megamek developer was showing interest in making it accessible though.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-04 02:54:28

Hi again,

Since this seems the only way to get in touch with you, I'm just wondering, what game was it? It seems interesting anyhow.

2007-09-04 09:24:34

www.trekmush.org

Star Trek : Among the Stars.

Though be advised it is a very slow game. Travel between one system and another can take a wait of anything from 20 minutes to two hours or more when trading. I had delayed mentioning it because I feel people will probably try it out, and end up finding it too slow and declare it boring after bugging me about all the ins and outs. You'll have to pardon me for being so cynical.

If you prefer something that is more involved and you can play for half an hour at a time or more try Miriani at www.toastsoft.net. Among the Stars is something you really need to be connected to all day, with pauses being long enough to be felt but just that little bit short enough taht you can't wander off and leave it going for long enough to do anything of use in real life. You have to announce your entry into different powers' space as well as landing and launching etc, so you are looking at perhaps an hour or so before you have to type one line then wait again.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-04 15:28:46

I tried Miriani, but got bored pretty fast. The missions were fun, but most of the time I had to haul asteroids or get cargo which was boring. Well I could do it with someone else and talk to them while we're waiting but still.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-04 18:10:08

Well if you find Miriani dull this mud will be even worse, that is all I was saying.

cx2
-----

2007-09-04 22:13:50

Hmm, and I imagine that since this is a mush, backgrounds and descriptions are required. Shrug. I do like Star Trek though and to be honest the combat is too fast for me in Mirioni.

2007-09-04 23:03:25

Hi:

I like Miriani because there are a whole lot of things to do like going artifact hunting, salvaging debris, hauling asteroids, Missioning, atmospheric salvaging, curriering, Mining, transporting passengers and soon to come, Relics and Archaeology.

Game Man

2007-09-05 03:53:28

Another good one is 3 kingdoms at 3k.org.  There aren't many blind accessible features but the wife of the person who runs it is blind.  It's a medieval fantasy mud and they did a pretty good job.  As always, I'm camlorn and it's at 3k.org:3000.

2007-09-05 04:08:17

Hey, thanks cx2. Looked at Miriani a bit - looks very interesting - I think I'll try it. Never played a mud. Looks like loads of fun. 9 Profiles. I wonder about how many players? It is not even a year old. These guys have come a long way. Can I post questions about it here as I try it out? I have no idea what to imagine here so it will be a slow go for me until I learn what it is about. I'm not really interested in beating up other players, I am about seeing what this enviroment is about and what you can do. Most likely I'll be the one getting beat up a lot until I know what is going on. They say no meta-gaming? Meta-gaming done right oculd be a lot of fun teaming so to speak.

Yo

2007-09-05 09:50:32 (edited by cx2 2007-09-05 09:53:40)

Feel free to ask about Miriani. The meta gaming thing is about their barrier they imposed between in character (IC) and out of character (OOC) information. The intent is partly to make sure you don't get people talking about real life stuff on the radio type channels, which sort of spoils the illusion. It's an asthetic I can appreciate in a lot of ways.

As to the Star Trek mush, you must have a minimum of 100 words in your description this being 100 distinct words such that the same word repeated counts only once. That can be awkward. And as I said it is slow, travel from Earth to Bajor for example takes over an hour in real life time. Not sure about combat, but it could be awkward since the bearings etc are all in a big load of info it throws out so you might find it awkward to dig through to the info you need.

cx2
-----

2007-09-05 22:39:16

It appears the host is down for Miriani. Does this happen a lot with Muds?

Yo

2007-09-05 22:47:09

Reading the Miriani web site, this reminds me of a game called wasteland in the old days. It was simpler. No space ships. Just you, as you traversed a radioactive wasteland finding stuff and killing other players and NPC goons and gaining points. One of the first kind of muds I guess. It was fun. I played it quite a bit. Slower than single player games and had a multiplayer feel to it. As it was text with ansi and a map it had a real I F feel to it. As I can't get on, I am looking at the clients. Doe you use a client cx2?

Yo

2007-09-06 15:13:39

Yep, Monkeyterm with a sound pack made by Liam. It hides some of the messages and replaces them with sounds in Miriani so it despams somewhat.

For everything else I just use plain old GMUD.

Not sure why you couldn't access Miriani, sometimes it happens but not often most of the time. There are many muds out there and there is something for most people on them whether it be fantasy or sci fi you want.

cx2
-----

2007-09-08 01:51:31

I'm there. In Miriani finally. Boy I'm dumb. Doing ok. Bought a ship. Camped out. People all over the sidewalks sleeping. Got some OOC messages. Don't know how to read them just yet. Ship has no power. Got to figure that out. Not much time. But this looks like lots of fun.

Yo

2007-09-08 05:39:03

The messages thing is probably the message board reader, works a little bit like an in game forum.

To turn on the ship type "power". There is a list of ship commands both on the web site under help, and available from the help command in game. Example "help ship commands".

cx2
-----

2007-09-08 13:47:37

uh oh. you got some ooc messages?
that means out of character, and that is not good. you'll get warnings. they are important, they say ooc warning `1 of 3 or something, and after 3 an admin will come and speak to you about it. and i don't know how it'll be. i got that happened to me once i forgot what happened though it was quite a while ago.

2007-09-08 15:21:39

If he only just started playing it shouldn't be too bad, if that is what it was.

cx2
-----

2007-09-09 21:50:16

Still on Acrylon. Trying to find the Courier Company there. Can't find it. Need to make some money. Bought a $1.5M single cargo I got to pay for. Right now it is a place to sleep. So where is the Courier company? I need a job. They give you a ship right?

Anyway, I am right, this is like wasteland back in eighties. So I have Mudded really. Wasteland was easier and more fun. Lots of NPC critters there to beat up. and quite a few things to worry about and ways to improve your position. I like the I F feel of Miriani. The ship command list looks like a text book in Miriani. Too many.

Yo

2007-09-10 07:57:27 (edited by cx2 2007-09-10 07:59:40)

Firstly you can type "map <destination>" to find a room with a specific name on that planet or ship. Yes they provide a ship, but they only pay you on a Friday real life time and then not a massive amount.

If you can afford a destination finder buy one (you can wear it), then fly to sector 15 and land on Miriani itself. If you go up twice then south you will find an area you can request passengers, by typing request then selecting your ship from the list (even if you only have one). Then go back to your ship (north, down, down to the pad) and you will find 4 nudists in your control room. Talk to them ("talk to man") and ask them where they would like to go, then use the destination finder ("use finder" then type the planet or station name). They pay 350k each on arrival, they leave your ship as soon as you finish landing at the destination.

Otherwise you can go check out sectors for salvage (avoid sector 14 but all others from 0 to 30 are safe enough), with sector 16 being mentioned in the help file for debris salvage work. Just fly up to the debris and type "sal", then land on a planet and type "transfer" to get paid. Note some planets and stations don't accept debris, but only a few. You can also find debris by heading out of the sectors (just move to one of the edges, swap to manual and head out through the edge of the sector). To get back you will probably use your jump engines. Type "status" to see your jump engine range, and "beacon <number>" to see the distance to a specific sector. One sector is half a light year to help. Also keep one eye on your charge ("charge" command). "cargo" command shows you how full your hold is, fill it up if you can before heading in.

The help file on commands is just simply a command list nothing more, Miriani is still technically in beta and a lot is being added.

cx2
-----

2007-09-10 17:31:28

i've registered on miriani but have no idea what to do now. i remember star conquest. i was part of an allience with a planet known as chetimuel or something like that i don't know if that planet is in the game yet. once it does though i want to go back to that allience.and then, well, i think you start with 0 cash well you did on star conquest, so how do you get money straight away, or, how can you start playing, if you need to buy communicators, and ships, and such, and even for beating up things you need cannons and stuff.
thanks.
regards,
aaron

2007-09-10 18:32:35 (edited by cx2 2007-09-10 18:36:23)

It is a similar game type to star conquest as I understand it, but it is a completely seperate game with seperate planets and alliances. There are certain things they are also ensuring not to repeat.

Simplest way to start is to read the help files on their web site, which are mirrors of the in game ones. The web version has the advantage they won't be scrolling way way off your client's screen etc.

As to how to get starting money, you start with some I believe but not enoughf or a ship. Fastest way I found to do this is to get a loan from an atm, just "use atm". Get enough so you have 2.5 million, buy a cargo hauler and destination finder. Then just run passengers about like I mentioned before, after 5 passengers (you get 4 per request) you can pay off your debt.

As to beating things up, you will need to tag along on at least a couple missions in someone else's ship first on a multi person mission. Player vs player exists, but is more a case that if you don't attack them they won't bother you *usually*. Once you have some combat points you will be able to buy a fighter, which you can use for basic missions alone. Bigger ships require more crew, but allow you to go on better paid missions eventually.

cx2
-----

2007-09-10 22:03:24

Hi:

To check to find what beacon is the closest, you can type in beacon near also I think you you are refering to CX2, are hauling asteroids when you talked about moving to the top left corner of the sector and using the manual navigation to find one and haul it back with an asteroid anchor and line.

Game Man

2007-09-11 03:01:19

Thanks cx2. I have a single person cargo. Can I run passangers? I guess I could put them in cargo hold. LOL. Be nice. I wanted to courier. They did not offer a ship. I said request and the said I didn't have a ship. I have a single cargo but it must be courier. I did not see a courier ship though to buy. So how do I get them to give me a ship to use. Can you run mail too? With a cargo I guess I could salvage - passangers sounds interesting. Mostly NPC passengers?

Yo

2007-09-11 07:23:54 (edited by cx2 2007-09-11 07:25:24)

Gameman:
In those sectors where you go looking for asteroids there is also debris, I sometimes salvage there if the main debris filled sectors are occupied or empty.

Neo_007:
Passengers don't take up space, the "x person" refers to how many people the game considers fully crewed. This affects pay in missions, you get less if you are overcrewed. It also often reflects how many people are necessary to crew it at full effect, for example a 6 person destroyer has control room for a pilot, engineering for repairs, and four weapons rooms thus 6 people. I've actually seen 5 or 6 people in a single person fighter once when the guy was taking us to go fetch his gunship for a mission.

You can carry mail yes, go to the post/mail room and request. As to couriers, there are two rooms from the lobby - cargo request and ship request. You first register in the lobby, then go to the ship request room and request a ship, then you request cargo. The registration and ship request only need to be done once, since you keep the same ship.

Edit:
Passengers are all NPC yes, it's an automated thing. And when people talk about "missions" it usually refers to combat missions just so I don't confuse you.

cx2
-----