2015-03-24 18:43:01

Hi guys,
So, as you read from the topic’s title, I am getting very disappointed by Windows performance. I have two computers in my house, one laptop and another one desktop. Both running windows 7 Edition Ultimate - 32 bit.
I use my laptop everyday at my school, basically for school purposes such as writing, reading and everything else you do at school with your computer. It’s been almost a year since I formatted it, but it lags anyway, although it is used only for those purposes mentioned above. Both computers lag at some points especially my laptop.
Log into facebook, it will slow down. (facebook.com not m.facebook or touch.facebook.com)
Open youtube, it is destined to crash, at least on firefox and sometimes on internet explorer.
When a webpage is overcrowded, both are supposed to crash. No matter which screen reader are you using. NVDA also crashes a lot for those who want to blaim jaws for causing this.
Skype is definitely worsening my life, at least on PC, because on android it runs perfectly.
Also some programs may crash during your work, which is very tiring.
This situation is steadily becoming boring and much frustrating and it constantly makes me shake my computers over the ground being conscious what I will lose because I have a large number of materials and lessons saved there.
I am looking for another alternative apart from windows, and the best one is supposed to be MakOSx devices, or apple devices (don’t know how you exactly call them).
I think they are more powerful, stable, flexible and maybe more responsive. Apple laptops are not so popular here where I live, because everybody used to have computers running windows.
Probably accessibility is better. But I don’t know where to try one because they are rarely found here.
So what could you suggest me? So far, I am not willing to buy one, but If I travel abroad like in UK or USA I will certainly buy one because I will not have to do with my language, which is not supported by apple voices. Noone apart from Eloquence of Jaws can read them as good as it suits my needs.

Thank you for your answers,
Afrim.

Peace , out!

2015-03-24 20:12:16

From a subjective standpoint:
Windows 7, in my experience, is, quite frankly,  crap.  This is simply because, as you've discovered, it lags like hell and things just slow down to a crawl.

I can't speak for Mac OSX devices, but I'd personally say give windows 8 a try.  (As a side note, I'm fully aware you're considering alternatives to windows, but I thought I'd throw it out there.)

I must admit I do rather like Windows 8, as it's responsive, runs probably all the things you'll need as you stated above and if it crashes, it's not a regular thing.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2015-03-24 20:31:37

Eighty percent of your problem is that your running the 32 bit versions of windows, and also that your using Ultimate instead of Home Premium or Professional.

Most apps are now running allot better on 64 bit devices, notably Jaws, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, ETC, but others as well, though the age of the machine could also have something to do with it, if the hardware is out of date.

The problem with using Ultimate addition, especially on 32 bit versions, since the computer can only  recognize and use 2.93GB of your RAM even if you have more, is that you have allot of unnecisary services running that I seriously doubt you'll ever use, and even if you do use things like the advanced group policy, high level networking and server modules, and drive encryption, among others, than your almost certain to find third party apps that do everything that they can do, but better.

As to Jaws, even in the latest versions, on both 32 and 64 bit additions of Windows up to Windows 8.1, it still causes a few extra seconds of lag on load and 1 or 2 on unload for many different apps, something that the most up to date version of NVDA does not, simply because of the way that the two different screen readers get information from the screen.

If you don't consider your self a power user, meaning that you don't mess around with more advanced system settings allot of the time, than Windows 7 Home Premium is your best bet, and if you do, than Windows 7 Professional does most of the things that Windows 7 Ultimate can, but without a bunch of extra crap.

If you want to know weather your computer can run 64 bit versions of windows, than there is a compatibility test on the Microsoft website that you can easily find by googling it.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has stopped selling Windows 7 install disks, and so have most third party resellers.  Additionally, even if you do manage to grab one, Microsoft won't give you a product code to unlock it, and they also don't give out new updates for it any more, though that hasn't personally caused me any security problems...

This means that unless you switch to windows eight, which, if you buy legally, will also let you get a free copy of Windows 10 when it comes out later this year or early next, than your only option is to find a copy of Windows 7 through illegal means, which I can't tell you how to do, per the forum rules.

I hope that answers at least some of your questions...

2015-03-24 23:39:45

Hi.
I agree with the previous poster.
I have been an xp user and progressively I have updated to windows7 on all systems.
1 of these is a 64 bit system the others are 64 but I run 32 bit oses.
It all depends what you have loading, I have only my screenreader and security software 2 programs and that's it.
I never keep Skype and other stuff running unless I need them so its not that bad.
On the other systems an old i3 and a new quad i5 the systems run well though the i3 may be getting close to its cpu limit with all the extras needed by that system.
I run windows pro and that's all you really need, I don't know why any home user needs ultimate I have never needed it.
Ofcause with windows 10 since its free for the first year I may get whatever the max adition is as long as they fix all the issues.
As for 8.1 and so on, I used it once on a new system and even after slimming its configuration, and spending half the night clearing the junk off of it, I found windows8.1 quite complex and hard to use.
I also found it slow and laggy though it could have been the configuration and such to who knows.
A lot of systems have stuff they don't need.
Like an advanced virus checker like Norton.

All your extra software will slow things down.
I have simple average security software msse right now maybe I will go for nod32 or maybe f secure or viper f secure is really cheap and doesn't have fishing protection which is fine I guess point is you really should use what you need.
I have 4gb of ram and run a few old 16 bit apps so 32 bit is for me.
Most blindness related stuff like games run on windows, for the blind its better all round if we stay with windows.
Macs have their own issues Linux is another and free option sonar is now arch based and its what I use on and off.
Now if your system or at least 1 of your systems your school one for example never touches the net there is another option for you.
Install windows xp, its stable and will do what you want.
its not supported anymore but if you can get one coppy of it its quite stable.
If it was still supported I'd still be using it over windows7 even.
I am holding out for windows 10
But if that doesn't happen, my system can go to 8  for no additional cost and that's what I may end up doing.
One thing I will do I must admit is have a local account and have another account for online mode as I call it.
I had a friend that after her system did funny things took the box back to a computer shop and they told her she had a virus or maybe she may have pushed a wrong key.
After making her buy an upgraded supposedly better scanner, it transpired that all it was  was that she had touched the wrong thing.
her net then went down and her accounts didn't sync she had to reformat, back up her files and may have had to replace her microshit account or resync it I am not sure.
While the cloud is good for backup there is no fucking way I will be relying it as my primary no way in hell.
I have used windows7 for the last 3 years and I have had no troubles at all.

2015-03-24 23:51:07

@siteless

Well windows 8 or 8.1 is great, I’d give it a try for sure, but so far I’m waiting for the windows 10 to come. If they do not give us a licensed version, then I’ll go for windows 8.1.
Unfortunately I don’t have so much free time to spend and check the new versions of windows because my computer is under work all the time.
The only choice is to format it on weekend, but it might take time to get rid  of that.
However I’m really considering upgrading to windows 8.1.

@Defender
Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it.
At least my desktop is compatible with 64 bit editions of windows. When I bought it, it came with a pre-installed windows 7 64 bit edition. The difference was clearly noticeable. But I changed to 32 bit because my laptop was running a 32 one, and I made it just to handle them more easily.
Well about my laptop I’m not really sure because it is powered by a 1.4 GHZ processor and 2 GB of Ram, + 320 GB of Harddisk space.
I think a ram booster or a task manager apart from the one of windows would be a good idea. For example in android there are so many task managers found. They boost the ram, although some experts say that it damages your system. But they said that it doesn’t damage your windows OS. So it is good for windows. Still I can’t give a final answer about this because I haven’t found a good task manager for windows yet.

I think the speed of jaws 16 is improved to somewhat extent. It works faster and it gets better along with internet explorer. It was jaws 16 which made me start using I.E again.
But I think there’s still some hard work to do in order to improve jaws. The speed is not bad, but the responsiveness still lags.

2015-03-25 00:12:19

@crashmaster,
Oh no, I don't like windows XP at all. No problem even if I don't have to do with internet connections, but I don't really like it.
Well actually backing up files safely can be even done by sharing public folders. The speed of transferring isn't really bad, I tried it and the speed was like copying files to a USB drive. I copied 37 GB onto my laptop and messing around with them wasn't such a big deal. Before formatting your computer, join the public folder of your other computer, or to a computer of your friend and copy the files to its public folder. One thing is certain for sure, if you copy the files to the public folder of your computer, they will be lost without a doubt. But copy the files to the other joined computer public folder. I think you know this better than me. Transferring files when both computers are on a local network is very easy.

2015-03-25 05:52:46

And that's your problem there afrim.
no sane bastard runs 1.4ghz core2 duos with 2gb of ram anymore.
Yes it can be done yes you can run 2.4ghzs I have an uncle that has a del laptop and a del desktop one 32 and one 64 bit doing the same configuration
If you want to run that sort of thing go back to windows xp or lower.
windows will run but its a bit of a joke.
windows needs at least 4gb of ram and an i3 2.5ghz to run even then its still a bit of a joke.
your desktop may be ok but your laptop well, um.
win 10 for the first year will be free so go get it I guess, however I'd really get extra ram for both systems and I'd try to update the desktop cpu and replace the laptop.
I am not sure how old your tech is, but the age well.
Next don't compare apples with kiwifruit.
your average tablet uses an arm processer which in some ways is faster than the standard chips normal computers use.
Its a different os, etc.
You are running what us in the industry call minimal spec.
Ofcause its a bunch of crap its minimal use it will run but you need a bit more than what you have.
like you I am running 32 bit just because everything I have is 32 bit but I may next format go for 64 bit.

2015-03-25 15:05:39

Well, I'm running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit with jaws 16, and it is works fine for me. but about internet explorer, yeah I agree sometimes it's got lag...

2015-03-25 16:20:34

I would have to agree that Windows 8.1 runs much faster. It even has optimizations for lower spec hardware so you may very well see an improvement. I guess the real issue is finances, you really need to get a 64-bit computer whether you wish to run windows or linux or try for a hackintosh, but yeah the main problem is that 32 bit is just not good enough for modern apps. Plus a 64-bit PC gives you the opportunity to expand your RAM, because 32-bit can only handle like 3.8 and so another thing to note, is that if the video card in said PC is not great, it will not have VRAM so A, it will steal a bit of RAM from well, the RAM, and B, the processor has to work overtime to supplement the graphics card. You might wish to give Linux a try, unfortunately it is a bit messy if you've no experience in it because there are so many distributions of linux. There are two accessible ones, Vinux, which I don't care for, but uses Ubuntu 12.04 which is massively out of date. And Sonar, which uses Manjaro and the Gnome desktop and it is more up to date. Unfortunately, the sonar image is not working for me at the moment. You can also try mainstream linux which can be made accessible, I am about to experiment with Ubuntu Mate, oh and mate is pronounced, maté. I know there will be a bit of configuration to do to get the screenreader to start automatically, it's called Orca, but it might be worth it. This distro is fast and lightweight so it could definitely run on lower spec hardware.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-03-25 18:11:53

I agree with you crashmaster.
When I joined the public school, I needed to buy a laptop, and there came an HP655 Note book. I needed it urgently, so I bought it, +the keyboard was and is still perfect for writing. Also the laptop is not big, knowing that it has a CD drive built-in.
Well, to be honest the first complaints when I bought it was the power of processor. 1.4 GHZ isn’t so much. On the other hand the other desktop has a 3.0 GHZ processor and it runs good, but I’m not even satisfied with it. When going from 64 to 32 bit, it started working slower.

Well when reformatting I’m not making that mistake secondly. I’ll go for 64 bit edition for sure.

@ironcross32
I’m actually at the final year of my public school, so I may consider buying a better laptop later.
So far I don’t need a better one, just formatting it may be a good choice, but once I get a job I necessarily need to buy a great laptop.
As about Linux I’m really not familiar with it. I don’t even have an idea how to get started and work with that. This certainly comes as a result of my busy time and obviously as a lack of information.

2015-03-25 22:48:55 (edited by queenslight 2015-03-25 22:50:49)

Time for a "gold shark" to jump in here...

The next version of Vinux, Vinux 5.0, will include Mate, GNOME, and Unity, all on one DVD. Dev images are currently available, though no date on when the public release has come forth yet.

Additionally, unless you are in to audio and music production, or your main thing is the web, a Chrome OS device may be the way to go.
To learn more, go to:
http://chromevox.com
for the screen reader, and
http://chromebook.com
to check out devices.
You can also see
This
thread, with Chrome tips and tips via the level 5 headings.
Eventually, the thread will disappear, and all info will be a catagory on the
http://ttalk.ga
site. Its still a work in progress, but two shows are up.

Also, if you don't want to use the default keyboard that acts like EMacs, that of course can be changed.

2015-03-26 00:59:00

Hi.
trent I don't fully agree with you.
Afrim why go to 32 if you are on 64, 64 is ok, its ok if you have it and are used to it, most of my software is 32 bit and I had 4gb of ram.
Any windows above 8 will be optimised mainly for tablets so it will run faster on lower spec systems.
If your system is running slowly, you may want to restart it once in a while a lot of my family and clients I deal with put their system to sleep, and expect it to run nicely afterwards.
Yes its ok but leaving it like that all night may not be the best thing or for several weeks, it puts stress on the power supply for one thing.
and because windows does not clear its resource cache well you really need to restart.
Checking what you have loaded is another thing.
Trent the same issues about the ms account are the same I have about the cromebook or any system that needs to be online all the time.
The net as we know is a fickle bastard, its never stable even when it is.
It can go down at any time and if you have everything online, its fine as long as you can get online to access it.
If you are ever away from the net well.
Its why while I may have an ms account to access ms related stores and the like I won't be using one full time it will be something I log into once in a while.
A local account means you can access your stuff anywhere you want and if you have to take the system away from the net you can at least use the thing.
People rely on the cloud to much and while I don't mind and such bar all the security etc, the fact is putting your eggs in one collective basket is not the best.
Its one reason I havn't jumped on the ms account bandwagon, now they have turned off msn and it does not even work now on Miranda I suppose I will have to use Skype which lets face it is not the best for chats these days.
Luckily I don't need access to either app that much but I am still not happy with everything being needed to be online at all times.
Sure I'll take the cloud but my private info being put on it, no way, I don't want to login and use it just to use the system.
I want to have control of it.
in windows7, I can tell all cloud services to come on and off when I want.
and in win 10 or whatever Iget next I want the same flexability and control.
I don't use onedrive but I do use dropbox and google and I can control those.
As for messenger etc as long as I stay with desktop apps I should be ok.
I really hope that ms fixes the issues in 10 else I will get the free cds and licences but I won't install them till they fix the issues.
Theretically I could skip 10 all together, windows7 goes out of support in 5 more years.
And even then I don't know I may still continue with it I am not sure.
While I want to improve what things do and get the best of the best I don't want to do so to my detriment.
In fact if xp still existed I'd still be using it because I don't need much more than I am using now.
As for the Linux side, if we were in india or china I'd agree with you, problem is the entire world is Microsoft based and all apps are Microsoft based if you use a pc computer.
So windows will have to be used on a vm or something.
And unless you have 4 cores and 8gb or 16 gb ram and maybe vertualisation vms just don't run on host windows oses that well I have tried different ones.
Afrim, I suggest you either get more memory or look at refurbished or offleased laptops just about every computer store etc will have em older business systems, etc.
They will not be the best, but a core2 i5 will do what you want with 4gb ram mine is 3 years old it just runs what I want.
You will have to be barstardiously ruthless in what you load and what you run at startup and how many programs you run at once but as long as you watch yourself and don't leave unnecessary programs running its good though you may receive a minute or 2 lag with  program startup, if all you do is the net, brousing, email, Skype and wordprocessing gaming and music it should be ok.
Entry level Toshiba business small server units  should be ok, but the lower consumer entertainers may not be the best quality wise.
the real business units have slightly lower spec than others.
Next you need to decide on either storage or performance.
a ssd is good for that but you can't take that much with you without flash or external hard drive.
I chose the hard drive, slower but I can carry stuff when I travel.

2015-03-26 09:06:16

If you have a valid Windows 7 product key, you can likely get a clean iso of Windows 7 from Microsoft's Software Recovery Center.

And if you have an iso of any edition of Windows   you can convert it to another edition or from Retail to OEM.

If your computer came with Windows 7 preinstalled, the product key is embedded in the bios and you can clean install the same edition of Windows and have it automatically activate .

The most likely reason for your computer being slow is not Windows itself but rather bloatware preinstalled by the vendor.

So my advice is wiping the entire computer after duly backing up important data and do a clean install of the Windows matching the exact edition.

After the installation, it may be a good idea to disable all unnecessary Windows services.

m

2015-03-26 12:34:55

Get a better hard drive too. The hard drives that manufacturers put in their laptops are real dogs usually. They are 5400 RPM drives for the most part, though I've saw some older ultra portables with 4200 RPM drives. Combine a slow hard drive with a small pool of ram and your not going to end up with good performance at all. Windows will regularly run out of ram and will have to swap the overflow onto virtual memory which is a portion of your hard drive set aside for storing the extra stuff that can't be put in ram right at that moment. When that virtual memory is on a slow hard drive, the hole system is going to bog down reading and writing stuff to that slow drive. windows 8 will help you too as it runs on tablets with 2 GB of ram no problem.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2015-03-26 13:35:30

Goldshark thank you for your advice.

@Crashmaster
Actually both my laptop and desktop are running a 32 bit edition, I meant I won’t make that mistake again, getting stuck at a 32 bit system again.
Well about restarting I do it frequently, especially when my laptop is under use for long hours.
It helps a little.
But also performing a disk cleanup is not bad, is it?
I’m thinking of upgrading to windows 8.1, certainly after trying out windows 10.

@Jellman
Well, getting a windows edition ISO isn’t such a big deal, but I’m looking to get windows 8.1. I know it may be a little hard and complicated, but I will get rid of that.