2007-09-04 12:54:35

Like I said it was an action RPG. The story was fairly linear yes, the other value of it was that playing as another character type almost made it into a different game with different tactics being required and available.

And the exploration potential was indeed huge. Digging around these other areas gave you experience towards your next level, and thus your next skill point and closer to the next tier of skills, plus any gold or gear you find.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-04 14:15:52 (edited by dark empathy 2007-09-04 14:20:06)

As I said, exploration is almost as important for me as plot. the most recent game I've heard of that took this to real extremes was shaddow of the colosus, which had virtually no miner enemies, just some truly gigantic bosses in different corners of the map. apparently though both the bosses and the map are of really staggering size, ------ eg, you spend five minutes riding along the top of one monster in order to find it's weak spot.

though sinse I believe the main thing about Shaddow of the Collosus is supposed to be enjoying the scenery as you ride around the map, this sort of thing obviously wouldn't work in audio, ------ unless it had some reeeeeeeealy amazing music lol!

I always think though, ganing Xp is a really nice way of giving the game a vague sense of progression, or even a way of switching it on for short birsts. I'll quite often just crack on Rail racer for one race in order to get some more money, also when I was playing through the story modes of games like Soul calibur 2 where your rewarded with cash for each fight, I could always considder the fact that I was leveling up, even when just having a few quick fights.

combine this with a need to explore, and you've got some nice incentives to keep the player going.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-04 14:47:47 (edited by cx2 2007-09-04 14:48:43)

The skill system was a real incentive. Every level earned you 5 attribute points but more importantly one skill point, which could be put in one of three skill trees. Each character class had 3 entirely different trees, and new skills were opened up at regular intervals such as 6, 12, 18, etc.  Having more than one point in a skill is also pretty important to get the most out of it, turning the inferno spell from something with insufficient range to be of much use to a devastating flamethrower that can just burn through hordes of enemies. Later they apparently even added synergies where your level in one skill could affect your damage in another, adding bonuses. Example would be say perhaps meteor adding damage to fireball and vice versa.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-04 23:05:37

An rpg wouldn't be too bad. However, something which would appeal to me is Coloseum: Road to Freedom. It's a gladiatorial style game, set in rome. Each day, you train your gladiator, participate in a lot of battles from which you gain xp to upgrade and such, then train some more. It's basically an action rpg.

Brian,
Sands of Time in Audio would be awesome, and it could very likely be done. As a matter of fact.. the ps2 version of SOT had a lot, and I mean a lot, of audio. The only things hindering playability were the puzzles and the traps that move and have no audio cues. IF those were enhanced, the game could be very much playable, especially the fights. I love the game, though I've put it somewhere and now I can't find it. lol. I still have the soundtrack though, and let me tel you that is a good one. A shooter wouldn't go amiss either... anyone here played starcraft? That would be a good game to try and make in audio. It might very well work too. Or, something more popular such as one of the haylo games or CounterStrike.

Discord: clemchowder633

2007-09-05 00:43:17

hmmm, how did the fights work in colosium? I rather like the idea of combining resource management tasks with real time playing, as has happened already in rale racer. It is however one of my absolute annoyences, that there are so many pure stat grinding games on the net, where basically you have to just repeat actions constantly to gain points to spend on stat increases etc, all so that some higher level player doesn't come and clobber you. Usually such games have litle or no actual writing or atmosphere, and the only exploration involved is moving betwene the training ground constant monster generater of doom, and the item shop.

As for shooters, that's another reason i'm slightly sad gma seem to have gone down, sinse I'm sure the engine could've expanded nicely on what Shades of doom started.

I'd particularly like to see a shooter with the hole multiplayer and user created maps business, though for personal preference I'd go for an rpg first.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-05 04:47:29

I don't think GMA's actually gone down. If so I don't imagine David Greenwood would post to their mailing list. Granted he does so only rarely, but I don't imagine he would if the company had gone down the tubes. Come to think of it I don't even think the mailing list would still be there. It's funny, but it's partly because of this reticence about new releases that makes people jump to false conclusions. I remember hearing an intervew with David last summer in which he did say they were working on a new title, but he wasn't saying anything about what it would be like. A little info would be nice, would help to keep people's interest, even if you didn't want to give a release date.
As for Sands of Time, I have the Game Cube version, and I imagine it's pretty much the same as the PS2 and Xbox versions, even if not the GBA version. Actually I'd like to get the two sequels if possible, Warrior Within and Two Thrones. But I somehow couldn't see Sands of TIme in a completely audio format. Some of those moves would be hard to represent in Audio, and the keystrokes would almost have to be more complicated than we really want.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-09-05 06:28:07

Hmm... good point there. Granted I think it might be possible. I think us blindies have had keystrokes too easy for too long! lol only kidding..

As for Coloseum... basically, it starts off with you being a slave, who needs to pay off money to the buyer of yourself to gain your freedom. You basically had two types atack. Upper and lower. Square and triangle were for arm attacks, and x and circle, legs. There was a stamina bar on the screen, so it depended on your attacks to either be full or not full. And that would effect your player. If it was full, you had high endurance. If it ran out though, you became slower and more sluggish and weaker as it went down. You would fight in battles where you had to kill a lot of people, hunt by killing animals in the arena, team battling, or once you got there, duels. Basically it's to raise your reputation as high as possible. I would go read gamefaqs reviews for it, because the game itself is hard to explain. Another type of game I would like to see is a fighter like Mortal Kombat in Audio. Technically speaking, all that needs to be tweeked are the menus to speak... and it's done. There's not much that needs to be done.

2007-09-05 09:47:31

GMA might not have gone down, but they do give the impression of stagnance. Even just an occasional post to the news page there would help make it feel more alive to those of us not on their mailing list.

cx2
-----

2007-09-05 11:04:17

I'll have a look at colosium, it sounds interesting.

appologies for the slightly bad choice of words, I didn't mean gone down in the sense of out of business, but it does appear that Gma (like Bsc), have stopped developing games. there don't even appear to be any more Lw missions posted recently (though admittedly, I've hardly made a start with most of them, so this isn't exactly a problem).

In prince terms, I was considdering the original 2D game as highly convertable into audio, though something 3D in the same style might indeed also be fun.

I was just thinking that we could probably do with some more reasonably complex 2D audio games, ----- though then again, anything other than a center the sound, rack up score game would probably be welcome.

2007-09-05 18:35:13

assault freak:
in colosium, do you need to walk around like in most rpg's or does it take you to fights and such?
also, a game i'd love to see in audio is something like silent scope. this is a shooter, where you actually have to aim very prosicely to have a successfull hit. it uses a light gun or in the console versions a controler. i'v played the arcade version (well it was my dad actually) and the music and voices were good. you have people with communicators talking, saying, "get to the helecoptor and take them out" or something to that effect, and it's quite fun to listen to. next time you go to the arcade, if you hear, "silent scope", go up and have a lsten if no one's there and you can hear a demo of gun fire and such. for the voices you will need to play gut if you get sighted assistance it could be fun.
another good shooter game is   ghost squad. there seems to be no indication of the name in audio, but yo0u will hear those communicator type voices again. it's quite loud and it's good. you can do hand to hand combat on that game too. it's not out for any console as far as i know yet though.
and finally, to rap this post up, something like warzaid, another light gun shooter, would be brillient! you can choose your mission, and if you move the gun down it puts up a shield, and the music is astoundingly millitary and orchestral and it sounds brillient!
there are my views on other types of game i'd like to see.
regards,
aaron

2007-09-06 01:26:54

Nobody's arguing that it's partly GMA and BSC's own fault that people think they've given audio gaming up as a bad job. A news update, even an occasional one to let us know that yes, we're working on a new title, would be nice. I do remember David saying that the new game, whatever it is and whenever it's released, would be something similar in nature to Lone Wolf, though beyond that he didn't say more except that it would probably be mission based.
  As for BSC Games, I've pretty much lost interest in them. For me none of their current titles has much replay value, and they lost major points when they scrapped Castle Quest, not merely because I was really looking forward to playing it, but also because I was set to lend my voice to the project as well. I was one of the volunteer voice actors chosen in May of 2004, only to discover the following November that the title had been canceled. I understand that they had issues with the developer they were working on, but I don't see why they couldn't have continued work on the project themselves. Sure it might have set the release back but it would also have given us a bit of desperately eeded originality and challenge. From the description on the old Castle Quest web site it didn't sound as though CQ would be the usual learn the keystrokes, then have the game beaten within a day or two. It was only with the greatest of effort that I found it in me to try to dissuade a fellow gamer, who shall out of respect remain nameless, from Emailing BSC and demanding that they resume work on CQ. I know Justin's got blindsoftware.com to consider as well, but come to think of it i haven't seen anything new there in a while either. Of course I don't check that site very oten so that's hardly surprising.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-09-06 03:47:46

Yup...CQ definitely sounded good, and I wanted to volunteer as well... it sounded good, and definitely did sound like the type of game we needed.

Other games I would like to see...
Well, like I said, something similar to Counter Strike couldn't be a bad thing. Max Shrapnel sounded like it was going to be something like it, but as Alchemy has died... saddening really, but who do we have to thank? Not mentioning any names, suffice it to say certain members of the community who were very, very impatient about Monty, and generally flaming. But we won't talk about that. But yeah. A shooter, or something like Soul Calibur would be good. Or, if you really wanted to go with something good, GTC with multiplayer capabilities, such as deathmatch or team deathmatch, and the ability to get out of tanks and shoot, or whatever.

2007-09-06 10:43:50

I agree about Bsc cancelling Cq, but I'd stil prefer another game from them over nothing, sinse at least while games are developed things will hopefully be evolving (look at Rail racer for a really good example of Audio game evolution).

from what I've heard recently though, it does sound as if Justin's job has well and truly put pay to anything more from Bsc games.

something else from gma would be nice, ----- perhaps they could even devolope that desert strike Gunship 2000 esque hellicopter game we were talking about earlier, ----- they've already done land, see and space, so air's the next logical setting for a game lol!

As far as shooters go, I'm not convinced of converting any of those light gun style games such as time crysis until we actually have the capacity for a light guhn style control system for a Pc that wouldn't cost the earth (the way a touch screen or something similar would at the moment).

the majority of those sorts of shooters are self-scrolling, with the challenge to the player being hitting all the targits in a given amount of time on each screen, and learning how to hit hidden targits for extra bonuses (such as blowing up the explosive barrels hidden in Time crysis so as to get rid of the thugs faster).

while something like this would be incredibly fun in audio given the same 3 dimentional set of targits to fire at (obviously with appropriate audio kews), at the moment would probably devolve into a glorified space invaders game, ie, center the sounds of the baddies and shoot, then listen to your character walk to the next ambush, rince and repeat.

I do like the idea of more fully 3D style shooters ala Halo etc. More games like shades of doom and technoshock would deffinately be welcome in my book, ----- and multiplayer support would just make things even more fun.

which reminds me, I really ought to give audio quake a try!

by the same token, a multiplayer tank game would be fun, though I'm not sure about the getting out of tanks bit. My biggest problem with tank commander is that it's a comparatively short game. It's a pitty gma couldn't give us a map and mission creater for the game, even if you'd probably have to have Mister Sapi as your commanding officer!

2007-09-06 15:10:58

Whatever GMA work on I look forward to it, though a helicopter game would be very nice.

cx2
-----

2007-09-06 20:21:48

Well Dark, sounds as though you've heard more than I have regarding BSC. I just had anoter idea though. I got to thinking about old NES games that would benefit from being converted to audio. One sch game is Battle of Olympus from Broderbund. For those of you familiar with Greek mythology, this game told the story of Orpheus and Uridice (though the game developers changed her name to Helene for some reason), and you played the role of Orpheus. Your mission was to travel through Greece, finding and using items in order to gain entry to Tartarus to confront Hades and rescue your woman. It was a cool game since at various points you'd have to talk to various gods in order to gain certain items. Notable names included Ares, Apollo, Artemis, Poseidon, Artemis and, of course, Zeus. In fact you couldn't talk to any of the other gods without first seeing Zeus, and as he was in the area where you started (arcadia to be precise), that was easy enough.
  Another game I enjoyed as a kid was SunSoft's Blaster Master. You played as Jason, a High School student on a quest to find and escue his frog (yes, a frog), which he intended to use as a science project. Unfortunately, Fred the Frog fell into a sewer outside Jason's house, which happened to be contaminated with some bizarre mutagenic chemicals. Jason somehow managed to follow him, were upon he discovered a tanklike vehicle and a suit of armor that seemed designed for him. Curious, he put the armor on and climbed into the tank. Thus begins your adventure as you struggle to find and recover your frog, while on the side saving the earth from a hoard of vicious mutants which humanity itself unknowingly created.
  Actually Dark, both these games might be right up your alley, since they both involve a fairly high degree of exploration. Blaster master in fact is very similar to Metroid. There's lots of platform jumping, hazzards to avoid and things like that. The cool part about BM was that at any time you could get out of your vehicle and proceed on foot, which in fact you were required to do at various points, usually right before boss battles. The both Jason and his vehicle had special weapons that they could find and use, not to mention more powerful upgrades to their primary weapons. And on top of that both games had cool music. Battle of Olympus had fittingly Greek sounding music while Blaster Master had a kind of adventury soundtrack.

2007-09-07 02:01:39

All of those sound good, and I definitely agree on the time Chrisis front of things.

Dark, that's why a multiplayer tank commander would be good. The game's short, but with deathmatch and team play modes it would give it a lot of replayability. Getting out of tanks is part of games such as Haylo and Red Faction. So, my idea would be to start out in a tank but not make it manditory to play. If you like walking instead, and close quiarter combat, then you could get out of the tank, and switch to a more traditional shooter weapon set. And, for ground combat, have swords and knives strewn about the map so you had something to use if you ran low on Ammo.

2007-09-07 03:13:22

I always thought it'd be cool to have a game that allows you to, as a cheat code, or by beating the game, switch places with the computer opponent. So like in GTC you could become the helicopters and shoot at the player's tank, which would be controlled by the computer, stuff like that.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-07 04:55:58

Not a criticism, just my opinion... not much appeal in that, to be honest. At least, not in my opinion anyway. But that's just me. I still think deathmatch GTC would rule.

2007-09-07 05:31:01 (edited by cx2 2007-09-07 05:32:00)

There have been mainstream games that allowed you to use the computer units in multiplayer actually. I think the idea is allowing you a selection rather than just sticking everyone in the tank.

Perhaps this could be an alternate deathmatch mode where you can pick from the various computer tanks or the helicopter, since the player's tank would probably be far more powerful than any one of these.

cx2
-----

2007-09-07 09:47:08

Hmmm, both of those sound nice Brian. there are also several old Amigar games I can imagine as working well in audio.

for the deathmatch and tank commander bit though, if choosing vehicles was possible, you'd probably have to have them equalized in some way, so as not to make the player's tank overpowered as Cx2 said. but I like the idea of different multiplayer maps for the game, especially if different vehicles or walking modes were possible.

Judging by what Gma have done thus far though, i don't know if they'll go in for the hole multiplayer support, sinse this means getting into a different area of programming I think. then again though, with an almost two year gap sinse their last release, it's entirely possiblethey've changed their stratogy.

As for Bsc Brian, I don't know anything special, I just remember someone on audeasy saying that Justin of Bsc's new job was keeping him busy, hence the lack of new games from them.

2007-09-07 23:24:08

Ah, yes. Or, to have a challenge they could leave the vehicles as is, and if a player tank shot something at you you could hear it coming and it would be your duty to swerve out of the way, or get your body blown sky high.

2007-09-08 10:58:46

Hmmm, I think things would have to be a litle more balanced betwene the vehicle types, but I think we'll probably just have to wait and see anyway what David and gma have up their sleves.

2007-09-08 20:23:10

Well, I'm hoping they have something... because I'm getting twitchy waiting. lol. BTW, Dark, have you looked at Coloseum yet?

2007-09-08 23:20:08

Not as yet I'm afraid Assault freak, I'm on my second run through of Deathly hallows, my first of the Steven Fry version, and my first after reading all the books, so I've done nothing at all today accept listen to that. anyhow, if collosium is a Ps2 game I might have miner trouble picking it up, sinse I don't at the moment own a Ps2, ----- though sinse Soul calibur 3 and the Street fighter aniversery edition never had Gamecube releases, i might get hold of one at some point.

I second your thoughts about gma, in fact, when I've done with the fall of he who must not be named, I'll summon up all my tact and diplomacy and make some enquiries of Gma.

2007-09-09 01:54:13

Ah. But for whoever wants to look at the gameplay mechs to see why I keep talking about it and it being made accessible, look at gamefaqs and the FAQS they have there.