2015-03-21 16:38:30

Are there any 3D scanning devices out there that are usable by the blind? (Also prices. "Affordable by the blind" is quite the bar.)

Software for actually utilizing said 3D scanner would be necessary as well. It wouldn't have an accessible way to let us examine the scanned models, but if it was accessible in the sense that, say, the iPhone camera is accessible, that'd be an excellent start.

(My ultimate purpose is, of course, to get around the fact that drawing things of decent quality is frustratingly difficult, but positioning action figures and building things out of Legos and clay is less so. I'd rather do 3d scanning than take pictures in front of a green screen, partly because 3D models are more versatile, and partly because what if I want to make something green?)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-03-28 03:44:34

What are you hoping to apply three-Dimensional scanning to? There are already three-D printers which can be used to make anything you could imagine. My sole interest in three-D scanning is for medical uses, such as making bodily comparisons for research, or to find abnormalities.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-03-28 14:33:59

The same thing mainstream developers use it for, except broader.
Lots of games, movies, etc nowadays make physical models of things, then scan them, or do pose/motion capture, rather than doing everything on computers directly. (Actually, a lot of artists still draw on paper, then use a regular old flatbed scanner to digitize it.)

I'm actually more interested in the pose/motion capture part. Think how they did Golem in Lord of the rings, only scaled down.
If there was, say, an accessible character modeling program (this sounds crazy but it is not; just make Soul Callibor's speak the labels, and it's usable, if hard to do things like position accessories. One would only need one sighted person to make a better list describing the less obvious bits, and that only once), then we can both create and animate things. Even if not, though, I could still do things with character models; I'd just be able to cut the sighted assistance I'd need down to "Design the models I'll be controlling, tell me afterward if anything turned out looking weird", which is a huge improvement over "Do everything, even though I can't possibly pay you enough to get excited about it and I am no Billy Mays".

Add scannable and reskinnable legos, and some degree of set design becomes possible (if only on, say, Mindcraft levels of detail).

But if that's too much, there's always scanning clay and having someone else do the painting. Which is still an improvement over "Do everything the least bit visual for me, which more or less makes you the majority of the work on someone else's project".

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.