2015-03-14 00:38:54

Hey, can you guys answer some questions:
Is it possible to run Vinux on a vm in windows 8? I watched a podcast over it and it sounds cool.
Which vm should I get for it? I thought I heard of something called vmware, but I might be wrong. Perhaps that could've just been the category of software vertual machines fall under.
Are vms hard to install? Like does it require any sighted assistance?
Thanks in advance,
Steve.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-03-14 01:39:21 (edited by ambro86 2015-03-14 01:40:24)

Hello, is possible and easy to launch vinux in a virtual machine. If you have Windows 8 you have to download vmware player, that it is free. Then download the vinux cd or dvd and create a virtual machine. You don't need any assistance because vinux speaks when it will be launched so you have the orca voice that assist you also to install vinux in the virtual machine. Think the virtual machine as a real hd so you can launch vinux and try it or install in the virtual machine. In this way you can launch vinux whenever you want.

2015-03-14 02:24:37

Beware, however, that sound may not work. I have this issue with all Linux vm's.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-03-14 04:52:24 (edited by ambro86 2015-03-14 04:53:14)

Hi Blindncool, I have no problem with vinux and Ubuntu virtual machine using Vmware. I have this audio problem only when I try to virtualize Sonar. I don't know why, but I think because Sonar is in a different architecture, that is Manjaro. Is there a way to resolve it with Sonar?

2015-03-15 07:23:12

I have the problem with both Vinux and Sonar. Maybe it's because I'm using an earlier version of Vinux than 4.0?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-03-15 20:16:04

Alright, I thought it was something like that.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-03-15 21:12:05

Hi severestormsteve1, you talked about an audio podcast. Where  can I find it? I would to listen some audio Linux podcasts.

2015-03-16 17:23:37

I don't know. Josh Kennedy made a podcast about Vinux along time ago, back in the days when blind cool tech was still alive.

2015-03-17 22:19:03

I got it off of coolblindtech.com
not blind cool tech, it's cool blind tech. I know, confusing, right?

2015-03-18 01:02:07

its fairly easy to create a virtual machine. The only sighted assistance you might need is if you war wanting to virtualize a 64-bit guest OS and your EFI / bios has the hardware assisted virtualization option disabled. Other than no problems at all. Sonar's image is not working for me at the moment, i want to install it in dual boot with windows 10 tech preview but the image is just not working when i write it to usb. I've tried two USB thumb drives and still it just sits.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-03-18 02:42:34

Hi,
If your on a mac, I would not recommend installing any Linux distributions. The linux distributions screw up Windows and cause it to not be able to boot. I've seen tis problem many times, and Ubuntu fails to fix their own problems that are right in their faces. Well, just goes to see how bad Ubuntu can be sometimes...
As for Vinux, I wouldn't recommend it. It's old and not up-to-date. Therefore, I'd recommend a different distribution, such as Talking Arch-Linux or Gentoo (yes, it is possible to install both. I can help you out with both, as I have done both before).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-03-18 02:53:10

Hi severestormsteve1, thanks for the site, I didn't know it, and it's interesting. I've found also a podcast for create talking Windows installer with lev winstaller that is cool!

X etin, thanks, can you tell the process to install the two distributions you told? I've tried only ubuntu and vinux, but I would an accessible and updated version. Another thing, how can I use eloquence voice with orca? I hate the espeak voice!
Thanks.

2015-03-18 15:00:19

Hi,
Eloquence is only available as a paid subscription. Both distributions, Arch-Linux and Gentoo, are very complicated and are two complex to fully document here. If you want, I can ask the mods if I could put up the Gentoo installation guide and the Arch-Linux guide I follow, although you will have to be very advanced with both in the ways of Linux to understand most of both.
Gentoo revolves around compiling every single package, while Arch-Linux uses a command-line installer. Both use the command-line interface (CLI), so experience in that will be needed as well.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github