2015-03-13 00:07:49

And this, is exactly why I stay out of the development room. @camlorn, we've already figured out the source of the lag, hents is why I didn't change anything as per your suggestion as their wasn't really a need to. The lag did not show up with the prototype because even after a request for testers in this exact room, a lot of them were not online enough for me to start catching the bug. Also, one suggestion. Why can't people just use their language of choice, with out having other people leap at their throtes and say noooooooooooo, don't use it. If its the language their most cumffy with, they should have the right to use it no matter what anyone else says, and that's exactly what i'm going to keep doing, despite your complaints about my language of choice, thank you.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2015-03-13 00:13:03

For the record, I did take some of your advice. In fact, the startup script is developed off of that link you provided with that extra line you told me to put in. As for pb, I won't deny its not perfect. Some day, I may eventually grow out of it. But until then, I have the right to use it with out you trying to cram your finger down my throte about how you hate it, so if you don't have anything else besides the I do not suggest pure basic rant, can you please just stay quiet?

2015-03-13 00:18:58

@severestormsteve1
Sort of.  Your racing game is simple enough that the logic probably looks the same everywhere, but as soon as you start having questions that center around not knowing how many of a thing you need at runtime, Purebasic and C start becoming very, very difficult in comparison to other things.  They also become very difficult when you reach the point that arrays will no longer work for everything.  As soon as you have to write code to allocate and free memory using pointers, which is a thing that will happen, it's time to consider something else.  DMNB is a project which should be way past this point, and I suspect many of their problems come from lack of more advanced data structures.
but your code and programming is going to go in this weird direction.  A day will come when you will also hate Purebasic and everything to do with it because the obvious solutions to problems are hard to code there.  But honestly, staying in BGT would have been better, as it does give you a lot of the stuff you need to build the pieces that solve problems, even if it doesn't give you those pieces itself.  When you do get to the point of actually moving, you'll not only have to learn stuff but also to unlearn stuff, which is why I suspect people are so fanatical.  They can't easily leave, and so have never tried something else extensively to gain the experience to know when leaving might be applicable or desirable.
@Ethin
Yeah, and apparently you don't understand English.  Because you've just said the same thing I did.  It's pretty clear you're trolling me; no one else seems to have a problem with is as I used it.
I am not trying to force anyone to use the languages I use.  I am trying to make people who see this topic realize that shelling out money for C is one of the worst mistakes you can make.  I am not using is as any sort of equals statement or algebraic expression, but the languages are close enough that one does literally substitute for the other.  They solve the same problems and have the same features and limitations, and not even you are arguing that they don't.
And apparently you don't know enough about buffer overflow attacks to know why having a dedicated string type and good network libraries makes you immune to them.  In Python, the worst that can happen is that my string is longer than expected and I get a MemoryError exception and a second chance to deal with the problem somewhere else.  In Purebasic, the worst that can happen is that I write code into your ram by sending you a network message that's too long and contains some assembly or otherwise overwrites variables.  Or I send you a message and get you to send me contents of your ram, using it to steel passwords from other players.  Go look up heartbleed.  This was used to break internet security for everyone recently in just about the worst way possible.  The Swamp security may be partly due to VB6, but as far as I know switching to a model where accounts need verification fixed most of it.  Adding SSl would maybe fix more, if he hasn't.
And I have not said it's impossible.  You can do an online game in assembly if you're willing to deal with the monstrous conceptual overhead.  But 9 players without lag is not impressive.  9 players without lag is what I would expect from a simple multiplayer game like SoundRTS.  And I've heard different about DMNB lag, anyway. Purebasic is a problem in that you are writing code that would otherwise be freely available to you in a much better form than you'll ever manage, and you are leaving yourself open to so many problems that you will now have to understand how to code solutions for.  But yes, it is *technically* possible.
The questions "Would I write x in Purebasic?" and "Would I write x in C?" are exactly equivalent.  If you answer yes to both of these now, it's time for you to go learn about the wonders of linked lists and binary search trees and all sorts of hash tables and how these can be used to take you from 9 players to 50, assuming the lag is not inherent in the network protocol itself (yes, this is possible. Truly).  Also the select loop and how painful it is to write one properly.
And to everyone else, and also to counter Ethin's claims that I am trying to force people to use the technologies I specifically use?  Consider all the topics where I bash BGT and then consider that I would both use and strongly recommend BGT over Purebasic for anything.  I would also recommend PHP and Java, both of which are technologies I have bashed in the past, though perhaps not on this forum.  When i say Python, it's honestly because modern languages are all pretty much like Python, and the concepts under discussion applies.  I'm not trying to specifically push people to Python, but things like exception handling and garbage collection are basically ubiquitous in modern and even not-so-modern "easy" languages.
As for online games that stay up and have large worlds, though, if the terms hash table and linked list are even slightly unfamiliar to you, just don't.  You will have to write almost everything using O(N) and O(N^2) algorithms, and the net result is a game that slows down for every object added and, more damningly, much much more for object 1000 than for object 900.  It'd be good to know binary search tree, too.  Purebasic may have these, somewhere.  Most languages have some or all of these built-in.  Even BGT gives you the hashtable.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-03-13 00:37:17

@Danny
Using Purebasic and getting stuck in it is one of the biggest mistakes a new programmer can make.  In addition, I am 100% certain that a day is coming for you where you will agree with me completely.  It would be nice if, at that time, you remembered that I was right and that my advice could have saved you a lot of trouble.
Enjoy coding linked lists and hashtables and select loops and all that.  I don't have to.  Someone has done it all for me.  I can get most if not everything I've mentioned in this thread in a couple lines.
I've been trying not to have this conversation with you for 4 months now.  Based on everything I've seen on these forums about DMNB, I give you a year tops.  If, after that point, you're somehow still managing to thrive, congratulations.  But I'm certain at this time that you're going to end up starting over and taking all the things you learned from DMNB to do another one, not making DMNB a long-term project.  You've got major code issues and you've got major social issues.  My intent was to let you come to this on your own, because you and everyone else will  simply disbelieve me per the usual and the information you'd have come away with would have been helpful to your next attempt.
I will no longer be monitoring this forum for the foreseeable future.  It's clear that the social tensions caused by me existing in this community aren't helping, and it's clear that my advice goes mostly unregarded.  Those who are interested in contacting me may do so via Twitter or e-mail or something, but honestly it's simply not worth it anymore.  I'm tired of my expertise coming under attack, while no one actually provides a strong counterargument, just general "go away" retorts in the form of questions or shut up or you're a lier and an idiot.  While it is true that I have come on strong here, the mere action of saying something that one of a select group of people dislikes instantly leads to wars like this one.  I might as well just go start answering questions on Stackoverflow or something, which isn't a bad idea, actually.
Good luck with, like, whatever. You're now doing it without me.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-03-13 01:05:46

@camlorn Obviously you payed attention to our early opening. We've had something like 16 players on with hardly any lag, and we're getting bigger. Pure basic has linked list and tables, I mainly choose to use arrays. The problem camlorn, is that sometimes you don't stop and consider that your programming advice is not the only stuff out their. I may have social ishues, but i'm not the one cramming my opinions down everyone's throtes. I'm just stating my own opinion on the forums, as the guidelines say its ok to do so, and while I respect that you are as well, sometimes you get wayyyyyyyyy to opinionated and yes, judging by your posts, sometimes I do think that you should really stay back and take a look before you give advice. I'm not saying your all bad. You have your qualities. Its when programming comes up, and your all up in flames in arms about how people should use this and that is when people get fustrated with you. Now, I don't agree with the way ethin frazed his posts. But if you really think that i'm an ignerint programmer who doesn't take people's advice, go ahead, keep thinking that. That's not gonna stop me continuing with dmnb. Their's a point where you can come on strong, but your coming on too strong, hents is why people are lashing out at you.

2015-03-13 01:34:38

Hi.
No, no, no! This is not what I wanted everybody please stop! I don't like all this fighting I might as well leave the forum and go somewhere else.
Camlorn, please do not leave the forum. I respect your knowledge even if I don't understand or agree with your opinions. If you do decide to leave though can I still contact you on your blog? I've known you for a while so I hope I can consider you a friend.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-03-13 01:45:48

My intention was not to make camlorn leave the forum, nore was it to start a flamewar. I meerly posted something and suddenly it expanded into a grate flamewar, something which I didn't even get aware of until today. @guitarman, I suggest you pick a programming language which suits you the best and which you feel most adept at.

2015-03-13 05:04:53 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-03-13 05:07:08)

Camlorn, here's the rundown.
  Your help has been valuable in the past, it really has. But fact of the matter is, not one ounce of caring will go for you leaving this forum; none at all. And it especially doesn't help that you continue to aferm to us over and over again that you believe to be better than us because you're in college and all of your "experience." You know something Camlorn? You're really nothing more than a highly egotistical biefed up college man. And for the record, that's not what I need to succeed in programming. Contrary to your beliefs, we actually provide just as much proof to our posts as you do, so don't pull that bullcrap on us. And the whole ignoring your expertise thing? What do you consider yourself, a legend? Sorry dude, here's a reality check. You're 23! did you know that! Yeah! only, 23! Don't even, have, a, job yet! Libaudioverse isn't, even, out yet! You've had no more than 5 years of college experience. Granted, that's more than I've had, but seriously dude. Biefed up "I'm oh so smart" college student. That's what you are, so leave. I couldn't care less.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-03-13 05:31:43

@camlorn My last post on here, before I stop looking at this topic. Where's your proof dmnb's failing, huh? Where's your proof that i'm falling down the drain. About a hundrid or so posts back in the dmnb topic, and in fact, before you even braught up that ishue of 9 players lagging the server, I had completely forgotten about that problem, because its been fixt for over half of 2, mayby 3 months. So if your gonna tell me i'm gonna be a failure, how about I don't know, look back on the topic and see what we've really been up to, because I have the proof right on that topic, with more than a hundrid posts that dmnb is sirtenly not a failure, and to prove it, i'll insure it dephanatly keeps running for this year, and the next, and the next, because I actually know what i'm doing. I know my code, and I know its weakness's and strengths. But of course, logicly speaking, since you left the forum because I didn't even take your advice and responded with a post which was quite comm in my opinion, you won't even bother to listen, nore check, because according to you, i'm the ignerint programmer and the newb who doesn't know the slitest thing about what he's doing, so keep on thinking what you do about dmnb, and i'll do my own job of actually keeping dmnb going.

2015-03-13 16:29:04 (edited by Ethin 2015-03-13 16:29:47)

You know, Camlorn, if you wouldn't be so rude to us and think that your a god and that everyone will only listen to your advice, perhaps we'd be nicer to you. However, I'm sorry to say, I think the popularity has gone to your head and you need to go somewhere else. Leave us? Please do. I'm tired of you always contradicting me just because what you think is right when it is, in fact, wrong. I do my research, Camlorn. It doesn't sound like you've done yours. And you claimed to use PB? You never backed up any of your statements, just made claims.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-03-13 22:21:14

Okay, as much as I don't want to touch the Purebasic argument with a 10 foot poll I feel I must just state I do believe there are better choices out there for a new developer. I certainly wouldn't recommend using it for a first time language, but I have no intentions of shoving my opinions down anyone's throat. Just simply state that I have been programming for roughly 16 years and in that time I've found much better choices than Purebasic for software development. However, the important thing to remember is if it works for you personally then who am I or anyone else to disagree?

Now, with the elephant out of the way I'll answer the original question. Yes, it is possible to learn two programming languages at once but not recommended. Particularly for a first time developer.

The important thing to realize about programming is once you know the core concepts of what are functions, variables, loops, operators, etc you can convert those ideas into any programming language you wish. So you need to know the terminology and the logic first before you can start learning languages. Once you know that then you can pick up and learn as many languages as you wish. However, rather than learning two or more at a time I recommend starting with one for the first time to [practice core programming concepts and languages rather than getting confused over language syntax or specifics which aren't as important as the core concepts you need to know Once you have mastered one language you can move onto another one rather quickly.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-03-13 22:40:01

that's a good point. I think the main reason I gave up on BGT a couple years ago was that I was trying to do what you just argued against; I should've actually been focusing on what the terms and such meant rather than how to program them and why I should use them. It likely would've made success a more likely outcome.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-03-15 14:44:21

Steve, that is a fairly common mistake made by new programmers. The problem is they are often so eager and excited to be writing programs that they don't stop long enough to learn the essentials such as terminology, core programming skills, and how to think like a programmer. All they can see at that moment is the end goal of creating this new game or whatever it happens to be and give up in absolute frustration when things don't work out as intended. As much as I hate to admit it I've done it and so have a lot of others, and it is difficult to pass on that experience to new programmers because they are often just too young and eager to listen to more seasoned programmers about what they should focus on at first.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-03-15 14:56:04

Its easy to get that when learning programming. After all, programming isn't an easy task. I'm not sure I myself am quite past that. While I have gotten fustrated with dmnb quite a few times, I know that we are still in early phases of development, and this is how life of an mmo begins. Pure basic may not be the best, but I picked it and it sirtenly has done well for the load its handling with spaceships and such. I never give up on dmnb, or any of the projects released if I can help it, because I know I eventually get the bugs bothering us sorted, it just sometimes takes me a while. I gave up on snow race because the code was getting more and more difficult to maintain, pluss with the offline structure being completed, their was very little to add in. Project alpha hasn't quite died, i'm just not sure where to take it now that the storyline is finished.

2015-03-15 16:04:00

This is why I like python so much. The concepts in python are very very very well named, there is one way to do things and when you read people's code, you know what you will see.
It is also very logical.
For a variable you do:
f = 25
to add to f you do
a = f + 10
to make a function you do:
def function_name(thing_to_pass):
    print(thing_to_pass)
Then to call it do:
function_name(a)
To define a list it is:
my_list = []
to add an item to a list it is
my_list.append(a)
and to access an item in the list you just say the cardinal number:
z = my_list[0]
Now z and a are the same!
It is beautiful and there is no need for return statements, typing or (when you get into classes), pointers.
There are also more libraries in python than I know what to do with.
If ever I need a new library and there is the library I want in C or C++, I can write a wrapper for it.

As for indenting:
NVDA and Jaws both have support for tab characters.
So put \t (the symbol for tab) in your screen reader and do a replace all function in people's code then you hear something like:
def my_func():
tab print("hello world")

There is no forgetting braces, it is a matter of selecting a huge chunk of code and hitting shift+tab to unindent code in EdSharp and frankly, once you get used to it, you only check indentation with code online once or twice in a huge script and that is when they have bad coding practice.
There is something called pep 8 in python so all python code is laid out the same.
You can break it, but every developer tries to follow it as pep 8 results in the cleanest and easiest to read code.

I do admit that I break pep 8 a little, There are rules like:
never use l as a variable or label all global variables in capitals or import everything on its own line, or using tabs instead of spaces,
But for the first 2 it doesn't do any good with a screen reader and for the last 2, having 15 lines of imports is just crazy (although if you have 15 lines of imports you've got other problems). And the tabbing makes python 100000000000000000 times easier to read.
There is a reason why python is the programming language for new programmers.

2015-03-20 16:25:07

Well, since this can't get much worse, why not throw my opinion in here, as well. I think that while pb might be an okay language to start with for programmers, the fact that it costs 80 euros makes it a silly choice when there are much better free alternatives. If people are already using it that's fine, but I would never recommend anyone pay that kind of money otherwise, especially for a language that there's a good chance you'll end up switching away from anyways.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2015-03-20 16:49:45

Dranelement, that is precisely one of the main reasons I wouldn't recommend Purebasic to a newbie or even to a seasoned developer. While the over all cost of Purebasic isn't that much in the scheme of things there are much cheaper alternatives that can do the same thing for free. I just can't see paying money for tools etc when there are free alternatives that are just as good if not better than the one's people are paying for. It isn't that I'm a cheapskate, but it just doesn't seem sensible to pay for something a person can essentially have for free by choosing a different language and tools.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-03-21 06:13:53

Yeah I suppose I didn't really think of the pricing aspect. It is a bit weird yes, that pb costs anything... but yeah. visualstudio is like $1300, so that's why I wouldn't go with that. if I didn't use pure basic Python might be an alternative, also bgt. but yeah.

2015-03-21 06:16:05

Hi,
Visual Studio has a free version. And if that's not enough, I have a key for it that you can use for the ultimate version. I'm not going to give it out publicly, though.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-03-21 20:06:36

Basically Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition is free for teams of 5 or smaller whose company does not make more than 1 million dollars a year.
That edition is equivalent to the professional edition they used to sell.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2015-03-22 20:11:01

Steve, I have to agree with Ethin and Ian on this. While there are certainly versions of Visual Studio that cost $1,300 Microsoft also offers free and low cost versions of Visual Studio that is perfectly fine for college students and hobbyist developers who don't want or need the enterprise grade tools. I have used the express and community versions of Visual Studio for years and for the most part they are fine for most practical purposes. I've not found too many instances where I actually would need to fork over hundreds perhaps thousands of dollars to develop an app in C++, C#, or Visual Basic using Microsoft's Visual Studio tools.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-03-22 22:43:31

Hello.
Can someone upload or post a link to the community edition? I'm having trouble finding the exact edition on microsoft. I want to try c# and visual basic but all I see are demos of visual studio.
@Ethin, I just wanted to let you know I sent you a pm.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-03-23 04:06:57 (edited by defender 2015-03-23 04:08:38)

God, steve, , post 33 was just like your old ones.

You know what's funny?  Tward said basically the same thing that Camlern originally said, and in basically the same way, but you guys didn't mind that at all, and even agreed, for the most part, since he wasn't Camlern, I guess?  Pretty idiotic reason if you ask me...

That's pathetic, and you know what else is pathetic, the fact that the only reason people are starting to use PB for audio games, is that one relatively unsuccessful coder started using it because someone bought it for him, then, a bunch of other coders who couldn't figure out BGT started using it because this one coder treated it like it was the language of all languages, that could do know wrong and was 10 times better than all the others, simply because he got fet up trying to use BGT. So all of the other programmers, since they knew that this guy was willing to get them started with this language that has no purpose being used for audio games, nor any kind of server, and is in fact supposed to be used for relatively basic machines like workstations, factory testing units, and thin clients, and isn't even much better at doing that than other languages according to most professionals, most of which are free,, more up to date, and have a wider range of features, decided to use this instead of C++, BGT, or Python.

It would have been completely fine if this one coder was the only one, but everyone that uses it now defends it to the last, specifically because all of the people that actually no better tell them it's not a good idea, most of these new coders don't really know what they are doing anyway, and would have way better progress with the type of games that they are trying to make, E.G. simple ones, that would be much easier in BGT, which is a language that's already set up to do basic audio games, and the 1 or 2 relatively good ones will likely soon find that the other people were right all along, or just lie to them selves to keep from losing a non existent battle that they have manufactured just to be contrary, and suffer pointlessly for it.

It will all blow over in time, since it's just a fad, but it's still pretty moronic and has pissed off allot of people that didn't deserve this stubborn stupidity being herled at them from all sides by teenaged wanabes.

Time for Ethin to inevitably bitch about the length of my post...  Sigh.

2015-03-23 04:35:10 (edited by Ethin 2015-03-23 04:39:04)

Defender, will you please take a break from the forum? It seriously sounds like you've got a problem. A major, major anger issue. Can you please, please calm down? I don't want you banned from the forum, but if you keep going on these rampages and rages, your going to get banned extremely quickly. Your acting extremely out of line. Keep this up and no one's going to like you. If there was a thumb down button, I would've hit it like 40 times already. Seriously, dude. Grow up.
Also, your comment about C++, Python, and BGT:
Go, defender! Try and make a game in C++ and tell me how difficult it is. I guarantee it will be most painful and difficult for you. Try and make a game in Python, too. That will also be extremely difficult. Try and make a game in BGT that is DMNB's quality and tell me how it goes. Again, that will be most difficult for you. Stop acting like an asshole and grow up.

My Github

2015-03-23 04:49:56 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-03-23 04:51:24)

@defender I know you have no life, but please don't spend the time you could spend getting one trolling. Post 33 was posted on march 12, over a week ago. Why you had to bring that up, I don't know. That's what's pathettic, Defender. Don't call danny unsuccessful until you get off of your lazy trolling butt and code something yourself, OK?
Thanks. rant over. Now go and get a life and quit posting trollish crap here because frankly no one cares. And by the way, your extreme overuse of personal attacks to make yourself look cool or whatever it's for, is overrated. So why do you do it?