2015-02-25 03:23:08

Hey all,
so I've been dabbling around in pb, and it's turned into the startings of a racing game. I'm mainly creating it for myself, just because I love programming and audio games in general. But it'll be like most others, but from time to times obstacles will appear in the road in front of you, causing you to have to turn to avoid them, and to be fast at it.
  I'm asking the question in the title for this reason: we already have other racing games out there like topspeed, and they're multiplayer, and this one is not; you race with the computer oponents.

So when I finish it, will it be something you all are eager to play? If not, that's fine. I wouldn't be upset: I was making this because it's something I like to do.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-02-25 03:37:07

I'd say go for it. We can never have too many audio games*.

* Well, maybe not never, but not any time soon.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-02-25 11:17:37 (edited by defender 2015-02-25 11:18:27)

I'd like another racing game, and by the way you explained it, it's already different from Topspeed.
Hit me up on Skype at the username superfreq2 if you need sound assistance.

2015-02-25 15:37:44

Hello,
I'd like a racing game too. We don't really have many of them, so I say go for it.

2015-02-25 16:46:56

Hmm. seems people actually want this game. big_smile
Well, as it stands currently, I can't give an exact release date. However, this page of my website contains all the info you'll need--changes I've made, audio demos when or if they occur, all of that. Consider it your online changelog:
http://stevend.net/squad-racing
You may check that page as often as you'd like. Also my blog,
http://stevend.net/blog
will give some insite into the development of this audiogame. Oh yeah and I might give brief summaries of development on my podcast eps.

So, in shorter words, just visit stevend.net from time to time to get updates. I won't spam this forum with a whole bunch of changing updates:D.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-02-25 20:15:28

Hi,
Go for it man, can't wait to try your own games, and, we don't have many racing games, so do it man, waiting for it.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2015-02-25 21:52:55

That's great Muhammad. Just be sure to keep up to date with the page I mentioned in the previous post. When available I'll put all the demos and alphas and such there. When I get a big release it'll be put on the ag.net forum though.

2015-02-25 22:51:22

Hi.
Sounds good. If it's free that's fine but if it's not I would at least like a demo. There's that new game coming out rally racing but it doesn't sound to good to me. Do you think you would eventually add multi-player? Single-player game is fun but only for so long. Multi-player is where it get's a lot more fun.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-02-25 23:02:09 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-02-25 23:04:57)

Well, seeing that I'm best friends with Danny, I'm quite sure. He developed snow race, so yeah. Thing is, if I did that, it would be one of those client-to-client things where you have to put in the IP of another computer to race it, no dedicated server.
  That, though, is my lowest priority at this time. I'm still working on obstacles, and what happens when the player crosses over them. Then I have to move on to the bots system... so yeah. Once I get all that complete and compile up a bug free version of the game for release, I'll begin to think about multiplayer.

Hope that's OK with you.

2015-02-26 03:48:06

Sounds good. I'm not a fan of the client to client thing but your the developer and I'll play the game anyway.
I could help with obstacles. One way to do it would be to have different types of obstacles like walls, trees if your in a forest, stalled cars in a roadway things like that. You could also do an arcade style of obstalces where obstacles appear like a power up that will move you faster for a time, a wet blanket that will cause you to slip backwards, stuff like that.
Btw, you mentioned you were friends with danny do you help with reality gaming stuff?

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2015-02-26 15:52:05 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-02-26 15:53:32)

I used to, but removed myself from the folder, as the amount of updates to files was driving me crazy just a bit. Still, I admired it, because it meant that we had activbe devs and testers, but I just couldn't handle it. So I don't really help reality software anymore, no. but it has my prayrs.

As for obstacles, I hadn't yet given them good names yet, but yeah you give me some great ideas: I was already planning ones that would send you back just a tad, and ones that would make you crash and be stopped for a second or 10. big_smile
For walls that could also work, if you turn too far it will warn you and then you would smash right into walls. Who knows: those walls could actually be bariors between you and your oponents, such as lanes. I don't know... maybe.
Also I put a progress recording on the page I linked to in post 5, for the first week of coding. There's not much to show on that recording, but the rapid beeps you hear from time to time are the workings of obstacles (but as it stands nothing happens when you hit them).

2015-02-26 16:54:11

Just throwing this out there, but if your game doesn't take too much bandwidth then a server that sits in the middle of everyone can be done in about 500 lines and run on a VPS that costs $5/month.  And depending on how you code it, it may be reusable for basically everything without modification.  The only complicated bit is trying to get a direct connection first, because if you can do that, there will be a nice bit of lag decreasing in it.
The long and the short of it is, when you go into the realm of multiplayer, such a server is basically the least complicated part of the project anyway.  The fun part is that getting a message from player a to player b and back to player a will take something like a third of a second minimum.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-02-26 17:06:50

Hmm yeah. but there are things I have to consider when doing this: How many people would, actually, be on the server? I wouldn't want to buy a server only to find that it goes a week and there's only like 3 people on there that whole week.
Also, if I did that, I'd need to make the game shareware so that I could pay for server costs. I really don't even know if I will make this thing multiplayer, honestly. It's just a game I'm making because I love racing games so much and want to create my own and customise it to my liking, so I don't really have any plans to invest money or whatever into it. That also means that I don't have plans to make it shareware either. This being said, I know that it's quite likely less people will want to play my game now, but it's OK. At any rate I plan to create unlockable tracks, cars, and obstacles and such for the track builder. I also have ideas on how to give opponents intelogence (when dealing with obstacles).

But hey. If it turns out I don't implement multiplayer and that turns away 99% of my playerbase, it's OK. I'll still make the game, and others should I choose to do so, because I love to code.

2015-02-26 17:36:06

Hey, it's your game.  I'm not criticizing.  Though apparently I have very different ideas about what is expensive and what is not.  To me, $5/month is barely a lunch per month.

My Blog

2015-02-26 17:55:04

It's OK Camlorn, I know you aren't criticising. I appreciate you helping me. But I'm 15, still without a job. For you I'd imagine it's easier because you're in college, and undoubtedly have to make money to support yourself.

2015-02-26 18:29:36

Well, actually, I've got family support and scholarships.  But I get it.  Still, this is the kind of thing you might be able to convince your parents to help with it, at least when you get to that point.  I obviously don't know your situation; maybe about $60/year is cumbersome for them.  I can promise, however, that not many 15-year-olds ask their parents for a bit of money to run an online multiplayer game they wrote from scratch for the blind as a hobby, and I also can't think of many better things for 15-year-olds to ask for help paying for.
Obviously you're far away from that point, but even so.  I never actually see people saying "point out to your parents that it's educational, builds a future career path,  and is a service to the community", so I have.

My Blog

2015-02-26 18:41:29

Hmm, that's a great idea. I'll actually look into that. As you said, not now... but definitely in the future. I'm sure that, a ways down the road, that if I told my parents that I had something like this and perhaps showed it to them, they might consider. As it stands I used to pay $4.99/mo for a file hosting service... but yeah. I'd still definitely request donations, though, as I'm also paying $26/year for my website and $24/year for swamp. Unfortunately, if I got a server, the latter might have to be discontinued. But I'll be 16 soon. Maybe I can try to get some sort of job before I invest in a server and such and try to ballence those costs out.

2015-02-26 22:25:18

Hello Severestormsteve.
Sounds like good stuff. Luckily if you work on your programming skills like you seem to be doing finding a job shouldn't be to hard. Even if you don't get a job working with computers employers like to see things like that on your resume.
Anyway, I like thinking of things for games so if you need any help I'd be happy to throw ideas out there for you.

Guitarman.

2015-02-26 23:09:56

Hi,

it really were cool to see another racing game. I love such games and there aren't so much of such games, so go on and I hope to see it soon!

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2015-02-27 05:51:58

Well I just got an obstacle implemented into the game. It decelerates the player to a complete stop, and that player cannot move their car for 4 seconds, allowing for any opponents (nonexistant because not yet programmed) to get ahead. What do you think of that?
If possible, (code isn't broken, there's something groundbreaking), I post an audio demo of the game on http://stevend.net/squad-racing. Next week when I record the demo I'll demonstrate this obstacle more clearly. But yeah. If you guys have any other suggestions, toss them onto this thread.

2015-02-27 06:25:50

Awesome keep up the good work!

Guitarman.

2015-02-27 16:13:42

Hi,

that's a really good idea. Sounds great. If I have an idea I'll post it of course. I really can't wait to play and try it!

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2015-02-27 18:43:58 (edited by burak 2015-02-27 18:46:41)

Yes, I am interested in this. Here are some of the features:
1-Add nitro.
2-Add unlockable cars and tracks, via maybe a rank system
3-Add breaks, and we should also be able to go back in the track,  not just forward
4-Add some traphic cars, not racing cars, WHO come opposite you to crash you so you slow down. Other aponents should be able to crash onto them, too

5-Computer aponents should know when to break, on hairpins etc. You should be able to adjust difficulty for that so beginners can start without much challenge.
6-Add that so cars can be upgradable. I should be able to upgrade my engine speed, maybe add additionel gears to my car, etc. You can do a garage where you need Money to Access. Also, the garage shouldn't be in the menü. There should be a free carrier mode and we should be able to enter the garage from there, it should be located on the road.
Also, I should be able to upgrade nitro models, so for example the first model gives me 10km speed when I use it, the second model should give 20, 30, etc.
7-Not all cars should have nitro. For example, the beginner cars shouldn't have nitro, and as you unlock more cars, you get cars with nitro. Also, computer players should not have nitro if you're going to the field with a non nitro car, so it's fare.
8-Add obsticals so that you jump to avoid them.
9-We should be able to bump our aponents to slow them down. They should try to do the same.
10-Don't add busses, minibusses, etc to the game. Because they are too slow and what does a schoolbus do on a race field? Or you can let us choose the car type we want, so we can race with busses etc when we choose a bus.
11-Add car and track building, built into the game.
12-Add a drag mode, where you're forced to race with manual gear, the road is streight, and you have to avoid traphic cars. If you crash at a fast speed to the traphic cars, the game is over. Also, if you stay on a gear for too long and you need to switch gears, the car should explode.
13-I know this is a bit extreme, but add cop racing. In this, you don't have computer players racing you, but you have cops chasing you.
14-Add traps. For example, I should be able to put something on the road so if a car comes onto the trap it's tires explode for a while, slowing it down. Or different traps WHO do different affects.
15-Nitros should be able to recharge if you go without crashing a long while
16-Car engine should not stop when you crash. Instead, it should slow down the car. But maybe put bigger walls somewhere, and it should stop the car completely.
17-We should be able to start our cars manually.
That's all for now. I hope you make it, I'm looking forward to it.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-02-27 18:53:05

Burak, great suggestions!
Gives me a lot to work on! It would be cool if you had to unlock the garage though: you need to master the beginner track in order to unlock it. But the problem with putting the garage on the track is that you'd have to perform a race just, to get to it, and I am well sure that folks would find that at least slightly annoying.
For hairpen turns, I haven't yet put those in, though I will perhaps this weekend. There are no opponents as of yet, but that will also start getting worked on soon. As for upgrades and stuff of which you talk, this will require the creation of a gameData.ini file or something to that affect. This is something I'm willing to do, however it will allow people to cheat and change values. Then again, if people actually like my game, they wouldn't do that, so yeah. the ini file would work.

2015-02-27 18:56:20

Addition to that other post: those suggestions would definitely make for great game. What the heck is nitro though? What does that do? As for the gears thing I'll be able to do that quite easily, provided my code doesn't make a whole bunch of bugs appear. And why would you want the car to start manually? That would just waste time.