2015-03-28 15:36:57

I have been asked a few times, what is the goal of this game? Well, the goal is to enjoy and have a deeper understanding, but given that initial question, I began to ponder it a bit.  Although Flux is not really a kind of place where you do x then y then z in some particular order, as there are so many things to do, that I did create a mission list of some basics. These dont pay, they just prove that you did some specific action somewhere.
Some people do want to specialize in some aspect: mark in transportation, for example. I think he means transporting others, not materials, kind of a guide around the areas. lillia has expressed interest in selling things to others, and some want to get into energy production.
Since I fully support an open commerce model, you have to ask yourself this one question: what can I either make or buy at wholesale, something that other people want or need? This can include such things as weapons, armor, clothing, jewelry, a custom food shop, or information.
The social aspect has barely been explored so far, and with that, people talking and finding out what others might want. It could be something like, show me the cool places to visit, or, how do I complete this quest (though it might cost you part of your reward for hints).
This business aspect is in addition to the normal easy ways to make money directly, finding cash pouches, catching one of the catchme's, completing one of the scavenger hunts or Rune Gathering, or the Game of the day (GOTD).
I guess the point I am making is you have plenty of things you can do, although a decent understanding of Flux is needed first, before you try more advanced things, to understand the flow of things, and thats usually half the fun, learning how things work, and why.
I'm sure people will come up with things that I havent considered, either because they have seen it on another MUD, or its just something they like to do. I do listen, and some features have been added as a direct result. Crafting was one of these.
Final Note: it seems that once a player has seen about 500 to 600 unique rooms, they have seen enough (although still only 33 percent), to really have a feel for things. At this point, a player begins to understand Flux at some level. It is at this point, that people really seem to enjoy the deeper aspects of it all. I do still ponder ways to keeps things interesting for brand new players, in addition to keeping the intermediate and more advanced people guessing.
Dont be intimidated by the size of the place. If it was small and easy, you'd be bored in a few days and wander off. Flux was designed to keep you busy for years, a little bit at a time.

2015-03-28 19:24:24

I am mark on this mud. I am planning on offering a transport service to get people from one place to another, but I currently don't have everything yet that I need to offer such a service. For example, I will need to know the area pretty well. My first thought wasn't really acting as guide, but it is clear that if I do act as a guide to newbies and the like, then I could in fact have a number of people of whom I could sell my services to later on in the game. I will clearly have to deside when to start charging and how much. I will not know that until I can see how the whole money systems of the game is structured. After all, it will not be werth my time to charge an amount that no one can pay nor a cost that is so low that I can not pay all cost involved. Oh how I would love to have a yot to take people around on, but I am not at that stage yet. LOL. Ashame right? I am at the point of what do I do next stage per say. I need to make sure that I have a good enough fluxbucks coming iin to pay for building up my stats and skills for now. So far, the first few quest has helped with that. I am trying to also get up enough to buy some of the different vehicles I want. It looks like I would need 15000000 to cover the start up cost there. Some of what I am trying to figure out is, how do I transport a plane from one plannet to another? If I buy a sea going ship for the main flux world area, is it stuck on that plannet or do I go and load it up in to a space ship of some kind? Do I have to buy ships and planes for different plannets when I arived at those different plannets? When I buy my first space ship, will it beable to go farther than the shuddle crafts that I can use from the main spaceport we all start at? Is it safe to assume that we don't get comm units in this mud? Also, will each of us at some time have a chance to build an area in the mud, and if so, what is taken in to account when they are or are not given that chance? I have also seen some rockets. What sortof make them different then the shuddles? LOL. Sorry for all the questions. I am just really getting started. I guess I should go grab myself a plane and go explore the areas I can fly to. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2015-03-30 04:18:13

Although there are different planets, some of the main ones nearby are airless moons, and as such, have no surface water. Most of the buildings are in enclosures, or are underground.
Some of the faraway planets might have what you are looking for, and we can talk about transporting vehicles, but there is much to be done in the local system.
Your shuttle, like any of the rest, can go farther than you think, as you will discover.
There is both ship to ship communications, and a global system for talking, Although I dont point this out right right away, it is available. See me in game for details.
Building for yourself is possible, but not just anywhere. Usually, someone should be buying, modifying and working with objects simpler than rooms and areas, to gather the needed experience with the various customizable messages that objects have, as rooms have many, many settings which are possible. This includes vehicles, as they are portable rooms, things like seating, details which can be looked at, and other features.
As far as what to charge others, its like anything else: what the market will bear. One person may only be willing to pay a 100 for a short trip up a river, while another might be willing to pay far more, especially for some space destination. At some price point, a person would be more willing to learn how to operate a vehicle themself, than pay someone else. This is what the open market is all about, the prices are somewhat set by what people are willing to pay and receive, for goods and services.
The rockets you mention are specifically for Space Transport of materials into space, and are not really made for people to travel in. Watching a launch, when they happen, is interesting though, and can be seen from many places at once.

2015-04-08 22:15:35

I'm surprised that there are not more users from this forum in FluxWorld at this very moment. There should be. It's an awesome game and I've been thorougly enjoying it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-04-14 15:42:27

Crafting continues to be tweaked (as it is a rather new feature) and some other interesting surprises have been added. Working with some of the players always results in changes and insights.
Some of the existing issues (as far as I know) are that people seem to be a bit confused on what to do as next steps, perhaps expecting to be led along from A to B to C. Also, things dont get *VERY* interesting until you have trained up, which does take time and effort. That part does seem painful and slow, but its really a rite of passage, and would lessen the efforts of existing players if changed.
As always, I talk to to the players, and discuss many types of things, from existing features, to new potential areas or things to do, and how to make it fun and interesting for all, from the brand new player just logging on, to the person thats been there 6 to 12 months, and is still looking for things in the advanced core.
This thread is as much general information to all, as it is a direct connection to talk to me, Centauri, and voice your thoughts and opinions, as I check this thread a few times a day.
I have heard horror stories of mirani and its clones in space based MUDs, and believe me, from what I have learned, Flux is nothing like that. (smirks)
Anyway, my two cents on all this.

2015-04-14 20:54:55

Lol. From what I can tell, this is slowly proving to be interesting. Just one thing, forgive me for missing the stocks in the main area as I rushed off to level up. I guess I got so used to the area ruffly remaining the same that I just checked to see that I went where I thought I went. LOL. As a side note, is going and doing some laber in the ship yard the easyest way to bring in the flexbucks for the beginner? I have done the first four quest and have over 300000 in the bank. I would like to add to that stash...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2015-04-15 04:10:08

labor in a production area does require some skills, so thats not for brand new players. I would say that the things new people can do for money are finding and picking up cash pouches if they can find them, or even trinkets that can be turned in. They can chase and capture one of the catchme's, they can complete a scavenger hunt. Rune Gathering is yet another way. All of these things are meant as incentive to encourage exploration and getting to know the areas.
Mining is the hardest work there is, and doesnt pay particularly well, but it doesnt require any skills either.
One other option available to brand new players, and is meant only for training, is getting a student loan. It does charge interest, and does expect to be paid back, but its an option.

2015-04-16 04:02:54 (edited by GrannyCheeseWheel 2015-04-16 04:05:49)

I will just say that Flux is most definitely an interesting place. It is not a linear experience, you can pretty much do what you wantwhen you want, some exceptions might be the initial quests as you cannot progress through them out of sequence. I am happy to explain to new players if they need my help but i won't give information that would spoil things for anyone. I would also be able to take you around for a very small fee, but I encourage you to explore, as that is most rewarding. And if you play, and you like it, and intend to keep playing, please consider voting for the game on TMC.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-04-16 23:42:02

It is interesting in deed. Only one problem, I when and got stuck. Yeh yeh, looking usually helps, but it doesn't help with tracebacks. LOL I enter one of those maze houses. I enter the maze, and I didn't get  a description, so I looked by useing the l command, and got a traceback.

DropBox Referral

2015-04-17 00:50:07

Minor issue - its fixed though.
Things do happen on occasion, especially if I make a new change, until its shaken out. at least its only one object type at a time.
I do put a fair amount of time into making sure things run smoothly, and I do see all tracebacks, and I get on them.
Its just the nature of a changing place, to keep things exciting and different.

2015-04-17 12:20:04

Thanks to getting to it quickly. I will also say that it is really enteresting in deed. I am trying to get enough for a shuttlecraft of my own. I already got a ship. I don't recall seeing in option where I got the ship for a sub, but I haven't yet seen a reason to get a sub though. LOL. Then again, I would kind of like to make my ship look a bit on the interesting side at some point. Anyway, good mud over all.

DropBox Referral

2015-04-17 14:30:55

Actually, on the subject of ships and subs, we are working on an option for picking the type of boat, how big, and whether its a ship or sub, then calculating the materials needed, engine size, etc. A lot like crafting, but for ships, as some have expressed interest in building them that way, there will be time and effort involved to do that, of course, although most of the work is mine in building the hull estimator, and providing other such facilities for using the raw materials, and doing the actual calculations.
The player wanting to build ships would get requests from others about how big, and would then produce it. I suppose anyone with high enough skills could build one themselves, but for many, its easier to buy, and let someone else do all that work.
Also in the works is the ability to build an aircraft from the kit of parts in the hangar, pay some amount for the kit, then build it, and get a plane that way.

2015-04-28 15:56:06

There were a lot of ways to do this, but a player and I had been discussing it, and we have a method of grabbing real-time internet data, and pulling it into Flux for various types of information, like Flux News, #1 was the TMC ranking in real-time (voting changes this).
We can pull anything really, from RSS feeds, to anything else one can imagine. given the bandwidth of a standard HTML page, there are some tricks under the hood to make this as thin and efficient as possible, but the end result is some real-time data from the Earthers!
We could pull current metal pricing, or Earth news (via cnn RSS) or who knows what, its just an option.

Yet another way that Flux is always evolving.

2015-04-29 12:38:55

Wa ha ha hahaha ha ha hahaha! I'm the second rank of explorer, from the top 10 I'm number 2.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-01 14:49:21

Hehe, Great job!,  and the fastest ever to see so many places in so short a time! No help from me even. Quite an accomplishment to find over 1100 unique rooms in less than a month.

On another note:
There is now a real-time PNG map that gets updated on the web, although I am not sure how many here can see it. It was a long term goal of mine. Something else to cross off the list.

Things are constantly changing and being enhanced, or expanded, or new ways to do things found. Just since the beginning of this thread, crafting has been implemented, along with some other interesting features, and of course, all the work to make things nicer for screen readers.

Not sure where most of the initial 60 to 70 players wandered off to, but they are always welcome back to see whats changed.

2015-05-16 15:31:09

Something I have noticed about people that come and go, is they expect instant gratification, whether that involves training up almost instantly, or doing some advanced things right away. To that, I say this: Flux has a "feel" to it, and a certain timing, which runs on a more relaxed pace. You cannot just join, do everything, and be done with it in a few hours or even a few days. Some things happen over quite a period of time. It takes time to be familiar with the flow of things, in order to appreciate things like the conjunctions of the two moons, or meteor falls, or the rise and fall of the stock market, or the changing prime interest rate which can affect many things.
Beyond this are even longer term things, the growing of the food, the height of the trees for harvesting in the forests, the accumulation of wealth.
This is not to say that there are not things to do. In fact, some have told me there are almost too many things to do, and distraction can be an issue, as they look for one thing, and are teased by something else to go get, and then something else, and can forget what they set out to look for.
To that I say, keep your eye on the immediate goal, but be aware there is always things to do, places to see, bots to learn things from and converse with, and something else to go onto next.

2015-05-23 15:29:39

New features and thoughts

Meteors now randomly land around FluxMain (other planets to follow), and they can be mined. Along with this is a Mining Supplies store, which includes your very own OreBox and you can optionally buy a pick-axe, shovel, and sledgehammer (each gives you more ore on a mining operation, and these 3 tools are additive to that total).

As some have noticed recently, there was a change to mining. Mostly this change was going from some random number from 1 to the maximum allowed, to using a bell curve so the numbers are centered on halfway between 1 and max, but with a good 30% variation.

Also in the works is something similar to crafting, but which I have used to create the L5 station itself: the construction device. This will allow for gathering the materials over time as needed for real construction, from the portland cement for foundations, to the I-beams, to the transparent aluminum panels for windows. This device does all the math, and calculates both volume and surface areas for rectangles, spheres, cylinders, cones, etc.

Another item on the list is gardening plots, which I used to own exclusively before last night, although small, they will allow for growing limited amounts of your own food.  Expect some evolution in this process, as only the farming plot itself has been changed so far.

Another whole line of thought is what to do about food on other planets outside the Flux system. I dont expect them to have the same exact food we have on FluxMain.

The other planets are getting worked on, both inside and outside the Flux system, although this is going to be slow going, as most of FluxWorld will involve Fluxmain itself. I wont spoil whats coming, but just know that whats in space is going to get more interesting.

As always, I talk often with my players, and see what they like and dislike, and what they might want to see. Some have been quite instrumental in finding and fixing some old bugs in RPG, and others want things that necessitate a few changes here and there in order to keep things flowing nicely with new features.

Centauri

2015-06-04 16:01:29

Space Expansion

Although FluxMain is large, and there is much to do there, I have been asked about the places to visit by venturing into space.
In answer to this, the two moons Indari and Menoa have been expanded, as well as some other moons around gas giants.

In addition to this, some remote solar systems continue to be worked on. Getting to these is difficult and requires a ship with warp capability, as sub-light speed would take far longer than most of you are willing to wait (seriously).

Whats different about these other star systems is that they orbit stars of different types than most are used to. One is a hot blue giant, another is a red dwarf. Suffice it to say that the orbital data and even colors of the plants are different in these places.

Of course, you just never know what might happen in space, or when going to another world.

2015-06-06 17:28:15

Thoughts

There is a number of voting devices that players can add to, for specific subjects, in order to gauge popularity of things. Things like most popular rooms, or areas, or foods, or things to do.

Some of this drives new development, as it reflects current sentiment. Its one of many ways for your voice to be heard. Some of these things are already in the works, and of course, I encourage people to get involved to make such things as a new restaurant, or even discusss a new type of area that might be possible. Even though we do have most terrains known to man, there can always be more, or it can be made more interesting via tasks or puzzles to get through it.

Another way to bring up ideas is through the MOOmail forums which exist in-game. A partial list follows: core-flux-development, social, FluxCraft, concepts, Other Worlds, Crafting, and landscape-Flux.

Some areas are very RP like, including wearing clothing which matches that area. I myself have a suitcase full of clothes to fit various areas as needed. Its a bit like worlds within worlds, depending on where you are.

Finally, I'd like to say thanks for all of you who have come to visit, look around, play with stuff, and share your thoughts with me, its been very interesting so far wink

Centauri

2015-06-06 19:52:53

I would encourage anyone who likes a challenge to try out the game, I've been around now for 2 months and 1 day and I've always found things to do. This MOO does fit a certain personality though, you need to be able to think outside the box, to want challenges, like to explore, and so on. If you want linear gameplay this isn't for you, but I think a lot could enjoy FluxWorld, I certainly have.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-06-18 17:01:22

The Steps

Life in Flux
  People start as complete newbs, knowing nothing, or any places, or what to do, in the beginning, its all about learning the ropes, and how the place works.

They learn to operate objects, find things, explore, build up money and stats. This can take about a good 50 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less. its a good long stretch, and usually quite an enjoyable time.

About the time they max out stats, and have seen 500-1000 rooms, and done all the quests, its time for for advanced things: setting up their own puzzles, ideas about quests, food shops, areas. Flux is all about learning and growing, and once a person gets past the daily things, they understand the Flux Way, and will have ideas of their own.  Once a person moves from the day to day activities, to wanting to add to the world, and add their own personal touch and submit ideas, there are provisions for this.

For the very advanced people, there is the ARB, Nobel, even BFAD (Builder For a Day)

These high-level, supervisory roles will keep the advanced people engaged and interested.

It just how the general flow seems to go.

Centauri

2015-06-29 15:24:56

New Features

If you venture far enough, you will find a place with surfboards, and a way to use them. This includes getting in the water, paddling out and actually catching the wave and seeing surfing messages. You can also wipe out, depending on your skills. This is one of many toys in that particular area. There are others as well that would be expected on or near a beach. All of this makes for a nice place to hang out, as any beach on a warm, sunny day would be, but dont forget about the nightlife, and partying around a beach campfire, as we have that too!

Office Space
As some have been interested in commerce and a business, this includes some office space in which to conduct business. These can be had by speaking to a leasing agent.

Quests
Some rather unique and interesting Quests are coming, and I am working with some players and getting good input from them as to how this might play out.

Other Worlds
Although 95% of the primary development is on Fluxmain, there are many things growing on the two moons Indari and Menoa, and planets farther out, some of them are a LOT farther out! (I wont ruin this for you with a spoiler).

Sometimes, things are built, placed and forgotten. There are always surprises somewhere, some big, some small.

2015-06-29 23:01:07

The biggest problem I have is that when I type "L thing" if there is an item called mysterious thing in the room, it says "there is no 'thing' here". This happens a whole lot with items, and makes things very, very frustrating. If I want to look at something, I usually use the noun, not the adjective, as saying "look mysterious" even with the "at the" sounds awkward at best, and no one wants to have to type "look at mysterious thing" or "look at mysterious-thing" if the items are one of those pesky items that are hyphenated as so many of the fluxisch lvocabulary is. Working with items and all is probably the only frustrating thing about this game. And um, the bats in the first quest killed me, and there is no breather unit thing for exploring that thing that wants you to go underwater. Yeah, I need help.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2015-06-30 00:08:41

Okay, so I finished quest 1, and I feel like I've had enough for the day. I might connect tomorrow. I don't know exactly how I feel about the game. I'm not sure if the frustration with trying and trying to find stuff outweighs the real joy of finally figureing things out.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2015-06-30 02:27:36

I'd say in general, you'll either come to enjoy Flux, or you won't. But, once you do a bit,, if you can become aclamated to its ways, you'll just keep coming back for more. And in that case, you would just have to type l mysterious, the reason l thing won't work is because that's just how the matching is done. If it bugs you that much, again, maybe Flux isn't for you. There do seem to be people who just keep coming back, and then there are people who just can't get the hang of it, or have other issues with the way things are done. I can only wish you good luck in figureing it out.

End racism
End division
Become united