2015-02-09 23:50:25

Hey guys.

While looking at the recent reviews on the mud connector, I saw a review for a game called flux world. The review made it sound truely unique, and boy is it ever.
The mud is set in the future, on a planet called flux world. You begin in the visitor's center of the main station, which will help you get started. The station is the main hub of the game, and various paths brantch outward from there. The world may seem rather small at first glance, but some exploration quickly reveals this is certainly not the case, the game in fact contains over 1800 rooms.

Those used to most muds will be surprised at the amount of things to do, combined with the fact that combat is not a main aspect of gameplay, in fact it's mostly religated to a few combat specific areas, called killing fields, or kf. There are three stats for the rpg (the combat area,) strength, dexterity and intelligence. However, increasing these stats is still important even if you don't intend to partake in combat, because they're used in doing other activities. Speaking of activities, I haven't even touched on those yet. I'll simply list some of the things there are to do in flux world.

Mining: venture to the caves and mine minerals for money.

Quests: explore the world and find secret exits to be rewarded handsomely.

Puzzle houses: Find your way through several shifting mazes for good money.

Catch me: If you see this creature, try and catch it by picking it up for money.

Scavenger hunts: Find various items scattered about flux world.

Runes: Find various runes around the world and turn them in.

Cash purses: There are cash purses just laying around, waiting for you to pick them up.

Social hang outs: Hang out at the bar, various places to eat, etc. Gamble at the bar, playing various games such as poker, craps, blackjack, etc.

Four types of currency: Fluxbucks, the most common currency, silver, gold, and platinum. Silver and gold are used for certain shops, but not platinum. You can convert between currencies at the flux bank.

A fully functioning power grid, that will need to be repaired from time to time.

Vehicles: Flux world uses several modes of transportation, and the all have uses. Trains, planes, ships, and even space travel. Flux world has two moons, both of which can be traveled to, as well as other things in space.

I've only mentioned just a handful of things there are to do in this mud. It's a virtual world unlike any I've ever seen. If anyone is interested, you can connect with a mud client. The address is centauri.servegame.com port 7777
After connecting, type cr name password and you're in. I'm lanthran in game, and the owner, centauri, is very helpful and aware of blind players.
Hope to see you around in flux!

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2015-02-10 05:21:55

Well well well!

Looks like something for me to take a look at in the future!

Sadly, you posted the excitement within the wrong room, though I'm sure some friendly "jyrocopter" will fly it to the correct area for it to be displayed in its rightful place...

2015-02-10 05:27:59

Well, I mainly posted it in here because it's not new really, it's over nine years old in fact. But dark can certainly move it if he wishes. It's a great place.

2015-02-10 12:09:25

Moderation!

@stirlock
, Trenton is right. While I see your logic new releases is as much for "games that are newly discovered" as games that have just been created, look at the topics about muds like lost souls or browser games like bloodwars or crimson moon as examples. Either way I'll move the topic.

The mud sounds interesting, though whether something like mining is an interesting activity will largely depend upon how involved it happens to be.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-02-11 08:44:37

We have seen many come to visit, and thats just awesome! We've taken people on tours, and showed them just the merest hint of whats available. Different people like different things, and that is never a problem. I'm sure many will share their varied experiences as they travel in different directions and learn what there is to see.

Many of the things stirlock talks about have been checked out and played with. Even took one up to space and had a look at parts of things.

Glad to see so many visiting and enjoying!

Centauri

2015-02-11 13:20:07

Is this an rp encouraged mud? I'm giving it a check out anyway if it isn't, sounds neat.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2015-02-12 03:58:05

Ok, I'm trying this now, and I'm totally confused. I just don't know how to get started. I went into the newbie area, did a couple of simple training things, then got stuck in a room that just said you see nothing special. So, I bypassed it. Found an academy where I learned one lesson and then ran out of money, so not sure how to earn more. Found out where the quest room is, read about the first quest, but I'm really lost. Can someone give me some tips on how to really get started?

2015-02-12 06:44:28

One of the best ways to make money starting out is to just explore around, pick up the cash pouches you see. As far as quests, go to the caves and look around the first room. Everything you need for that quest is in that room. Remember that exits are not restricted to directions, words can also be exits.

2015-02-12 18:15:33

Well, I'm officially stuck between two rooms in the first quest and can't go anywhere. I'm in some pool and it says something beckons deeper. I've tried everything I can think of, but can't do anything but go back and forth between these two rooms. I thought this game seemed really interesting, but there's just not enough to go on. I've wandered aimlessly, can't find any cash, and I'm not sure what the goal is. But I'm now stuck in this quest with no way to get out. The home command doesn't work. Any suggestions?

2015-02-13 00:08:40

Hi, I have registered for the game and I am stuck at the moment.
I have read the notes in the visitor center and wanted to train my inteligence. But I need money for the academy.
Someone said that there were cash purses lying around.
I cant find these at the moment. Is there a special command for this thing?
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2015-02-13 00:08:48

Ok, so I'm starting to get some help in this game, and although I still don't really quite know what I'm doing, or what to do next, it's intriguing, which is keeping me playing. I'm enjoying it, it's unique. It's nice to be able to explore in a game without real risk, not having to worry about something aggressive attacking you.

2015-02-13 14:49:00

Hi.
This game sounds interesting. What program can I use to play it?

Francois

2015-02-13 18:19:36

Flux world is a moo, a kind of mud. So you'll need a mud client such as mushclient or vipmud to play it.

2015-02-14 03:34:03

Hi,
I've checked this out. I mostly focused on the quests, which were fun. Some are guess-the-verb situations, but you probably will be able to solve them, and if not, you could ask for help wink. Also, the @rose +t command really, really helps, it shows all the exits out of the room.

This is not a signature.

2015-02-14 06:11:10

I heard that some of you were having trouble with money, so I'll just say that quests are a good source. Keep in mind that you don't always get notifyed that you get money. Make sure to check with either money or cash, both do the same thing. Also, most rewards are given in gold, which needs to be exchanged for fluxbucks at the bank. Syntax is exchange amount currency for currency. EG, exchange 500 gold for fluxbucks. Hope that helps.

2015-02-15 14:10:16

Greetings. I'm becoming a regular on fluxworld to. Fighting always pays good if you're willing to take the risk of fighting creatures higher in skill than you. I've enjoyed fishing and exploring the underwater areas. Most of all, I've enjoyed the afterlife. Although the afterlife rooms aren't very big, just 1 or 2 rooms, from an rp prospective it's fun to spend time there. No Lord Jehovah or Lord Lucifer yet unfortunately but hopefully they'll enter fluxworl soon. Haven't gone into space yet but I will in time. Tried my hand at fishing and labor to. Haven't tried growing things yet like beans and other vegetables but I'll try that in time. Right now, I'm trying to find more ways to make money because I pay people a lot especially when they give me things I want or take me places I want to go. All in all, a brilliant place to hang out and play. Kind regards, Amin Abdullah.

2015-02-17 04:45:02

First of all, thanks to all that have posted here, and to those that are fast becoming regulars!
I know it seems confusing at first, and there are many unique commands. This is why there is extensive help, and why we try to be available to answer questions that may come up.
To make a list of all there is to do, would go on and on. This is something that you will continue to learn as you explore and dig deeper.
As stirlock said to me early on, its like the layers of an onion, and this could not be more true, as I have used the same analogy myself when mentoring others. As was said in The Matrix: Lets see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Explore, enjoy, feel free to ask questions.

Centauri

2015-03-11 04:24:58

I earmarked this one back when Sterlock first mentioned it and decided to give it a more serious go today sinse I fancied dipping my toes in a new game.

Well I've  been trying this one, and thanks to some kind words from centauri I got through a good few quests, though actually once I realized that a lot of the special directions are of the type "go x" I didn't find them too bad.

Other activities I tried a scavenger hunt and have found one rune, I also briefly tried combat though don't have the stats, other things like mining, fishing, more exploring etc will likely wait, it's really quite unique to see a mud that is so based on just wandering around and playing with what you find rather than being a hack n slash.

I'll be interested to see what other activities occur to me. once I really get out into the world, sinse thus far I've sort of confined my activities to the promenade and the caves involved in the first few quests.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-03-16 15:07:18

Due to player requests, and some study, crafting has been implemented for weapons, armor and clothing. Depending on skill, you can make things slightly better than the system generated defaults, but the real creativeness lies in the descriptions, especially for clothing. The other advantage is selling such things for money, rather than just creating them for yourself.
As far as detail and gathering of materials, this is done already for metals and cloth, in other ways, and not directly a requirement of crafting just to obtain materials.  There are interesting choices, of course. Do you make armor from a titanium alloy, kevlar, nano-poly, carbon fiber, leather, or one of the other available metals (like brass, copper, iron, etc)
Clothing can be made from cotton, wool, denim, leather, flannel, polyester blend, nylon, rayon, etc. Any material can be made, we just need a request for it, and the time it takes to produce it.
On another note, I have been asked many times, so what do I do next here? it seems some are confused by the fact that there is no set theme other than this is a futuristic space based world. The answer, of course, is there are many things to do, and that depends on what you like. There are many interesting things to do, but they all rely on a person exploring and finding the objects to interact with. I cant exactly say go to x and do y, as this would ruin the surprises that are Flux. As those who have taken the time to dig have found out, the deeper you dig, the more you realize how deep some things go into detail. The whole food processing, animal raising, and timber are a part of that. So is the fact that mining is only one step of many to produce exotic materials that are used elsewhere. But that is enough hints for now.

2015-03-16 17:14:20

WOW, this sounds fascinating!  I love Muds where you just explore, craft, quest, etc.  I'll definitely be checking this one out soon.

2015-03-19 02:00:42

looking at this and reaing it, I feel this was proper area to post it because while its not new it is new to those who have never heard it such as myself and many others.  its abit, mind bogling and some nerve racking, to post specific things in specific rooms all the time or constently.   either, way, right or wrong room, thanks for the info on that for it was infact new to me.

2015-03-19 18:25:21

This is new to me too. I just started a char in this mud. I am mark here. LOL. What can I say, I wasn't feeling all that creative. Anyway, I guess I need to find my way to the caves and the like. I am planning on going into the transpertation business in this mud. LOL. Anyway, any tips on getting going good when it comes to bringing in the money I need to do some of the things I would like would be greatfully received... Guess I will start in on the quests...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2015-03-22 13:08:45

I've just started playing and so far it's very interesting. I had one question though, I seem to get stuck in a crypt in the caves. Once I get in there I can't get out other than using the home command. Am I missing something or did something go wrong somewhere?

2015-03-22 15:12:23

The crypt typically gets many people. Part of the puzzle is figuring out what needs to be done there, using examine here will help.
The actual trapping itself is not part of the crypt, but because the room the crypt is in, has security to not allow entering it except by valid exits, and 'out' from inside the crypt is not one of them.
That part of the puzzle is a kind of: you must go forward, because you cant go back sort of thing.

2015-03-23 14:02:50

Hello all,
I started playing the game a few weeks ago but I never got around to posting on here. This is actually one of the most interesting MUDs i've ever playd. It is quite unusual,, of course, since all the actions you can do are not presented to you in three or four help files when you log on for the first time, as many other muds do. To unlock the full potential of the game you actually do have to explore and look at everything you can. Like Centauri told me once, if there's an object, it usually means something. The fact that the description for an object might be uninteresting or that it doesn't have a help file doesn't mean it couldn't have an interesting bit to it. Again quoting Centauri, you can only get to about a third of the whole mud on foot. This is one of the very few muds in which exploration is truly the most rewarding activity if you look hard enough. Don't underestimate the world just because the main promenade area is only about 20 to 30 rooms. Train up your stats a bit, get to know the basic systems by walking everywhere you can and maybe even taking the maglev, and slowly start wandering further as you find out more ways to obtain money. Lately the game has been expanding a lot thanks to Centauri's hard work. There is much more to the game that you can initially see. Of course, I will not spoil any of the stuff I found out, which is probably not much, as I'm still in position 6 in the explorers top ten.
I highly encourage anyone who sees this thread to join and see for themselves. it is hard to explain anything without spoiling even minor details which could ruin your experience. For those like me who are tired of today's MUDs (hacknslash or futuristic space-based), this is nothing like that. It's got a little bit of everything, and loads of other uniqeu things I have never seen on any other MUD. Also, the fact that the main admin takes the time to mentor every new player helps a lot.
My name on FluxWorld is Aarewin. I'll be happy to attempt to answer any questions you might have.
Thanks for reading and see you all on FluxWorld!

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000