2015-02-06 00:04:23 (edited by robjoy 2017-06-11 11:53:59)

Hi all,
Update: As the game is up for almost two years now, I'm updating this post with new information.
First, thanks to The Player, we have a Yu-Gi-Oh soundpack, bundled with Mush client for Windows. You can grab it from their Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrhu16a4r7781 … k.zip?dl=1
The same link is also available in post #25.

I've received numerous requests to enhance the game with the remaining Duel Monsters cards and new features, like tag battles and a tournament mode. Unfortunately, due to most things being hardcoded, rewriting the game from scratch would be a much easier undertaking. The current game was not designed with modularity and extensibility in mind.
Rewriting the game will take a considerable amount of time, but it will have a huge list of benefits. For example, we will be able to create custom clients, with music and sound fx support, voice chat, support for additional platforms, a tutorial, etc.
Currently, there are plans to create a game engine which uses Lua for the battle rules, which would allow almost anyone with very little programming experience to extend the game with new cards. This is crucial to add the complete five thousand or so cards from the original series, which was my goal all along. Unfortunately, unless it becomes a full-time paid job, or we can get a few proficient programmers, I will not be able to complete this alone in the near future.
Still, the game in its current form has hundreds of different combinations, so it is certainly fun to play.
Thank you everyone for your support! Game on!

(Below is the original announcement):

I'm here to announce the availability of one of the underestimated gems of the Brazilian Portuguese community, a text-based Yugioh game.

A few years ago, we had a Brazilian and an English version available, however it was not quite manageable in its current form.
With the permission of the author, Edward Martin Suli Manias, I am hosting a version for the English speaking community.
Grab a telnet or mud client and join tardis.pw on port 1963. Assemble your deck from more than 300 cards and let's see who is the king of games!

Other than completing the translation and fixing some card names, this is entirely the work of Mr. Martin.

See you in the dueling arena!

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2015-02-06 01:37:49

hi, great job! But, how to know who's oinline in the game?

Claudio

2015-02-06 01:55:03

Hmm, this seems like a cool game, I will deffinitly try it later. Just out of curiosity, what base did you build this from? Like did you build this in MOO for example?

2015-02-06 01:58:07

Hi,
To see who is connected, type ?who. You will get notified if someone enters. Type ? for help.
The game is not based on any engine, it is entirely custom.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2015-02-06 02:20:33

Ah, ok. Was just curious.

2015-02-06 11:35:56

I am so, so so excited for this.
Two questions:  can you play against bots for practice when there's noone on and can we expect more cards added in future?

2015-02-06 11:56:43

Hi,
Unfortunately, there are no computer controlled players in the game.
Expansion is possible, however any complex change, e.g. implementing fusion is going to be an adventure on its own, due to hardcoded cards.
A complete rewrite is perhaps the best way to go.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2015-02-06 13:16:12

That's a bit of a shame, but I look forward to giving it a go all the same.  I've wanted to play yugioh for many years now.

2015-02-06 16:50:54

I'm so glad that old project is alive once again! That there's a great card game, and I look forward to any possibility of it growing and expanding. Way to go!

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2015-02-06 19:23:41

Dang, they beat me to the punch. I have a quick question, though.

300 cards sounds like probably the very first set of Yugioh that was ever introduced, it sounds like a very small amount of cards (to put this in comparison, the game boy advance game Eternal Duelist Soul, released the same year in the US as the TCG, has about 800; there are several thousand cards now).

I don't mind helping out with the project, I'm a casual yugioh fan but I can help implement a ton of the cards if they're still working on the project. I can also make sure the names are right. What are you programming it in? I wanted to make a yugioh simulator a while back but I lazed out and went back to braillemon, but I'd love to help out with this project.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2015-02-06 19:36:52

As someone who has seen bits of the yugioh tv series (maxamilian pegasus is awsome!), and has had a brother who has played ccg's at world championships  this sounds awsome, even if it is just the first set.

However, is there a rules explanation as while I know some of the principles of Yugioh I'd never claime to have much of a working knolidge. Also, even if actual bots to play against couldn't be added, maybe some interactive tutorials?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-02-06 19:42:31 (edited by robjoy 2015-02-06 19:48:27)

Hi,
I think the original developer wanted to implement cards across multiple decks. For example, Bean Soldier is not present in the starter decks, but it is available in this game.
Sadly, the available cards compared to the more than 5000 officially available cards are quite miniscule.
The game was created in c++.
I would be happy to work on a Yugioh game as well, I'm toying with the idea of a Lua-based game server for years now, including a custom client.
Edit:
@Dark: The game includes a very basic manual, which tries to explain the rules.
The possibility of a tutorial is certainly there, however I am not sure how much I would have to modify/rewrite. My situation is something like a stack of marbles. Since the rules are hardcoded, if I remove a marble from the centre, the whole stack might topple over.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2015-02-06 20:04:48

Daigonite, as someone that's been truly impressed by your Braillemon project, I for one would be intrigued to hear what you could come up with for a Yugioh game! Not that I don't have any hopes for this version of the game or anything...

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2015-02-07 20:19:44

Wow, I'm really loving this so far. It'sa shame that there aren't more cards, but it's much better than nothing!
Thanks for hosting this!

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2015-02-07 22:22:03

You're all welcome!
We actually have a lot more players than I expected, which is great! Later on, when people have a better understanding of game mechanics, we can organise tournaments, if there's enough interest.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2015-02-07 22:45:43

That would definitely be cool! I'd also be glad to help add more cards to the game, ifthat's something you're open to doing.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2015-02-08 01:49:54

yes finally an accessible yugioh card game man I am siked

I didn't see a link to download the client or software and rob I even clicked on your website and browsed through your game and programs but nothing am I missing something?

I was a frequent player on advanced fallen worlds until it went down now it seems like I will  have a new addiction somebody slide me those rehab papers now lol

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2015-02-08 10:43:04

gunners dis reguard my last reply
I was so hype to play this game I did some research on muds, figured it out and downloaded the vip mud client. I have set up a deck but have yet to try it out so im online if anyone wants to give it a go

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2015-02-08 10:54:26

So although I am accustomed with the basics of the game -- different level cards with different effects, trap/spell/counter cards, graveyard/hand/deck, sacrificing, etc, I've never really had first hand experience with Yugioh games. Any tips or suggestions for building a decent deck? Should I be shoving as many cards as possible into it? Should I limit myself to 40? What are good combinations of types? Apart from the cards the explicitally talk about modifying only one type, does the type of a card mean anything at all? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just looking for quick advice on making a halfway decent deck of cards.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2015-02-08 11:54:28

Hi,
Yes, type matters a lot. Monster cards have normal and effect types, for example.
Keep your deck at the minimum of 40 cards. Each card decreases the chance of drawing a particular card you want. Believe me, sometimes one card at the right moment can decide the fate of the whole duel.
Make sure you have a good balance of monsters (possibly with a flip effect), spells and trap cards. You almost always want one or more monsters on the field.
The rest is up to you.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2015-02-08 14:32:51

It's not so much the number of cards you want to watch out for, just make sure that the cards you pick are cards you know how to use and fit in with multiple strategies that you are comfortable and familiar with. As long as you keep a relatively good proportion of monsters to spelltrap cards you should be fine, you don't want to have a billion number of level 5 through 9 monsters but only 3 level 1 through 4 to use as tributes. You also want to have a fair number of magic cancelation cards and trap counter cards.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2015-02-09 01:16:14

I just like to say again how freaking awesome it is to be able to play this game. It makes me suuuuuuuper happy.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2015-02-09 05:33:26

Yeah, it's really neat but, and I hate asking about stuff like this, are there plans for adding more cards? Or is it more a translate and call it  quits for development project? I mean it'd still be fun even if it were just these cards but... Shrug, just curious about where you realistically plan on going with this game.

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2015-02-09 19:38:24

Did you implement the side deck, extra and banished zones?

Also I'd really like to personally talk with the developer to help them get this as good as it can be. I really don't mind helping adding new cards and stuff so people can play them. Hell we can sort them by format so we can play a variety of formats, but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2015-02-11 19:30:04

Hey guys!

I have good news for everyone, who likes to have sounds for their muds. My friends and I have created a soundpack for the Yu-Gi-Oh!-Mud. It's for Mushclient. And you can download it
Here

Happy dueling!