2007-09-25 11:10:51

It's probably knocking around on one of those dosgames sites, but I'm not sure how playable I'd find it.
As to the films, I don't want to give the impression that I totally disliked them. i remember coming out of the cinema most impressed with the 1st film. While thom bombadil is a nice section, ----- I love the hole old man willow thing and all the litle songs (something mr. Inglis does very well), I'm not sure it's crucial to the plot. They certainly miss it in the Bbc radio play, though I have read in the Bbc catalogue of some small dramatized stories by Tokeen (some of his short children's stories), which included a retelling of that particular section in audio.

Interestingly enough, the radio play back in the 50's, the one Tolkeen himself actually heard did include the Thhom bombadil bit, but not I believe precisely in the way we know it, ----- apparently old man willow was working for Sauron, which seems rather implausable to me.

Saruman's death is indeed nice, though they stil miss the entire scarring of he shire section, which I think is slightly sad sinse that's one of the nicer points of the book, ----- that after dealing with all the major trouble else where, home isn't precisely the same.

As hugo Weaving also played Mr. Smith in the Matrix, there's several amusing parodies I've seen about Agent Elrond.
I think the hole Elrond being unpleasant plotline though, was just stuck in to add extra anxt to aragorn's plotline, in usual hollywood convention 9these days, every hero seems to need some anxt), much as they did with Faramir, ----- who imho came out completely differently in the film, sinse in the book he's one of the most noble and wise characters, who actually understands that the ring would only make things worse, despite it's power (he came around eventually in the film, but it took him a while). I think though, some of these extra plotlines came about because (according to the documentry on my extended Fotr), Peter Jaxon originally wrote the script as two films, and then extended it into three. Personally, If he was going with three films I think he should've stuck more to the books, ----- for instance having the hole shelob business at the end of the two towers rather than at the start of return of the King (a good dramatic last battle, and that section where sam is sitting beside Frodo's apparently dead body deciding what to do is one of my favourite in the entire book!

I didn't mean Frodo being more matcho Bryan, it's just that I've always considder Frodo as quite a strong character, who just continues on with things, even though he doesn't know how. At the point in the book where he says he wants to give up, it's incredibly shocking, ----- but he stil keeps going, even though he's fairly convinced it's hopeless, ---- this for me is something truely heroic. Imho Ian holm in the Bbc radio play, will be the immortal frodo for me, especially with the way he does the falling to the lure of the ring. Frodo in the films is just far too weak imho. this however might be a point we'll just have to disagree upon.

I did like many chars in the film though, and some of them rather surprised me sinse they were so different to the way I'd thought of them, but great at the same time. Christipher lee for instance. I'd always thought of Saruman as more sly, insinuating and persuasive than this mighty wizard with loads of presence, ----- but I thought it worked amazingly well!

similarly, I was slightly worried when I heard Sean bean would be Boromir, sinse previously the only thing I'd seen him in was the Tv adaptations of Bernard Cornwell's sharpe novels, ---- about a British soldier in the napolionic wars. I thought he might be a bit too military and not noble enough, but he surprised me extremely!

In general i like the films (which is why i own them), I just wish several things had come out differently, sinse some of my favourite aspects of the books just don't seem to have come out in them.

Oooooooh dear! and behold I hath wranted! therefore I stop!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-26 08:10:22

I actuall kinda liked the way Faramir was portrayed in the films. Can't remember the actor's name though. But I think that part was changed to better portray the evil of the ring. I do gree that Shelob's tunnel was one of the things  was looking forward to most when Two Towers came out (in fact I'm nearing that section in the book now as well), but I can overlook it since it seems to have happened at the same time as some of the other events in Return of the King.
  Agent Elrond, huh? I knew about him in The Matrix, and after I saw it (never again), I was even less impressed. One thin I will say about those films is that they have an excellent musical score. I own all three soundtracks on CD. Got the Two Towers first, then Return of the King. It wasn't until I moved out to Idaho that I finally managed to get my grubby paws on a copy of the Fellowship soundtrack. Hmmm, think I'll dig those out and give them a listen.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-09-26 13:33:44

I must admit I disagree with you about Faramir, but never mind. As to the soundtracks, well they actually seemed to improve as things went on. I'm rather a film soundtrack buff generally, and so bought them all at the time. while there are a couple of rather nice bits (ways concerning hobbits), in the fellowship soundtrack, I didn't really think things got going until the Return of the king. I also think Howard shaw overuses strings far too much, in particular that one melody (occasionally usedin brass). In fact me and my brother dubbed it the one tune for amusement value in the 1st film.

Thhings did get going later on though, and I actually enjoyed the rohirim theme.

It also makes very good background music for playing Ad&D to.

for film soundtracks, I was recently most impressed to the soundtrack of the Narnia film (I need to get that on cd), and of course Attack of the Clones and Prisoner of Ascaban, ------ imho John williams' two greatest! It's such a shame he couldn't do Goblet of fire or Order of the Phenix.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-29 01:34:39

Hi,

I think this would rock, especially if we could have a storyline similar to metroid.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-09-30 15:21:25

I couldn't agree more Timberwolf. And some similar boss battles. The one I had was a plant boss not unlike Flaagra from Metroid Prime, but with some differences. Flaagra was powered by solar panels that you could shoot, deactivating them for a short time. This would enable you to cause damage. But each time he was hit he would create another panel, so then you'd have two to neutralize before you could harm him, then three and ultimately four.
  The creature I thought up would be different. It would be a plant like Flaagra, but it would be housed in a lake of toxic water, which would not only hurt you if you touched it but render the boss invulnerable. The boss, of course, would not be without its share of attacks. One could be where it spits out globs of venom that must be avoided, while another could be its tentacles, with wich it could try to hit you or even pull you into the water. So how to damage this boss, you ask. Around the room there would be four switches, switches that would be hidden in small alcoves at various points of the room. You could only get at them with your Morph Ball, or whatever we called it. Then to trip them you would need bombs, which you would have acquired by this point. Your first goal would be to bomb all four switches, which would lower the level of the water, rendering the creature's weak point exposed. So at that point it would draw in its tentacles to protect itself, occasionally opening them to either attempt to swat at you or hit you with its venom. Only when the mouth was open, I.E. right before or after an attack, would the creature be vulnerable to missiles. Or you could shoot at the tentacles, which would make it withdraw them more quickly, then before they close back in fire a missile to do damage. Then you could, to add challenge, make it a timed fight, where if you didn't kill it in a certain amount of time the water level would rise again, rendering the creature invulnerable and healing it if you wait too long to trip the switches again. Of course the problem as others have pointed out is that to program an audio Metroid style game would take quite a long time and might seem to most of the developers we have, to be too great a job for one. They might either then abandon the project or turn it over to someone who'd totally ruin a potentially great game. Or they'd team up with a third-party developer, run into licensing issues and scrap the project as in the case of Castle Quest. Then there's also the problem of having an interface too complicated for a gamer to easily remember, although I'm confident that could be dealt with. But finding a developer willing to spend the kind of time that would be required for such a game, let alone one who had that time, isn't likely to be an easy task.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-09-30 17:41:43 (edited by dark empathy 2007-09-30 17:42:49)

Hmmm, bryan, a very metroid like boss, sort of a mix betwene the Acid worm fight from Zero mission, and the Spaw plant boss from fusion, ---- though in that fight it was spaws blocking your shots not tenticles, and you had to use power bombs to clear them out of the way.

I think Sk8's notion of making a metroid style game, not featuring Samus Aran or the metroids is a rather good one for getting around licence issues. I've read of at least one freeware developer who got well and truly stomped on by nintendo, his Ip blocked and all the stuff he stored on his site deleted (only some of which was metroid related), for trying a graphical metroid remake.

The doom Developers haven't done anything nasty to Gma after all for shades of doom, thus I think a shades of metroid project would also work, ----- we might even be able to stick in a few things that the metroid titles didn't have, such as management of your sute and it's weapons, or story sequences.

For the interface issue, I won't deny it'd be a far more complex 2D audio interface than we've previously had, ---- but hay! things have to evolve don't they?

Btw timberwolf, thanks for getting us back on track here, we'd rather drifted off the point a litle bit, ----- well actually a lot.

2007-09-30 19:44:14

That was actually my idea, to design a game in the same style of Metroid, though with a different story and characters. Personally though, I don't like the idea of a suit management system. The Metroid games didn't really incorporate this feature unless it be to collect the upgrades and things like that, and too much would get time-consuming. That's just my two cents though. I just want to see a Metroid style game, developed for us blind folks, but I'd like to see it done right.

2007-09-30 21:25:24

Actually Bryan, super metroid did have a sute management system, and you could get some fun effects by turning things on and off (check out a metroid faq for details of the beam combo weapons).

Perhaps though, before the metroid game, we could concentrate on something else with a similar platforming and exploration view, but without some of the extra complexities.

My own favourite game series, turrican (partially enspired by Metroid), featured a very similar theme of going around large levels looking for things. You had a fair few weapons (though perhaps not as many as metroid), the combat is a litle more intensive, and the games do have levels, ----- though incredibly long ones. Your rewards for exploration were usually extra lives, power ups and bonuses, ---- and of course finding the level exit (which took a lot of doing).

Also, one of the most famous things about the turrican series, was it's music, and as there are already a fair few Pc remakes and such, it would be absolutely fine I think to include the soundtracks (and indeed some of the original game's sfx), in and audio game.

2007-10-01 12:20:41

Ah, I do remember that. The suit management thing I was referring to though was SK8's thing about how you'd have to collect materials to maintain your suit in optimum condition. That, in my opinion, would get way too time-consuming. But simply being able to turn off certain functions of your suit would be good. Heck, you could even make it a requirement for accessing certain areas. There could be a jump that was too low for you to make with your Space Jump, so you'd have to deactivate that system in order to continue.
  Are there any soundtracks for the Turrican games out there? You've got me intrigued, although I didn't notice any at Galbadia Hotel. Granted I wasn't exactly looking for them so I might browse there later today, after I get the key to my new flat. At least I'm hoping I'll get the key since I'll be signing the lease.
  But another game we could consider for remaking in audio would be Blaster Master for the NES. It features some of the same platforming and exploration as Metroid, though granted it isn't nearly as extensive. A game like that though might be simpler to make and wiser to start with.

2007-10-01 14:25:06

good luck with the flat Bryan. things are just about coming together with mine, though it's taken about 6 months to get all decorations and stuff sorted, and things are stil not done (I need to find a place for my Lotr chess set, and actually have my sterrio speakers on brackits not the floor, so that I don't irritate the people downstairs whenever I want music on).

Blaster master sounded fun from your previous description Bryan,  ---- I like the idea of having the choice to use a tank or not in a game.

for the Turrican soundtracks, it's the amigar versions that were particularly famous and won various awards. I've seen a couple of individual turrican tracks on Galbadia as part of those amigar nostalgics cd's, but they don't have the full soundtrack.

If you go to http://www.nemmelheim.de/turrican/bonusfiles.php You'll find a lot of useful things. there's the complete Amigar soundtracks in tfmx format, and also two mp3 versions of the turrican Evolution Cd's, containing the vast majority of the tracks from the three amigar turrican games as Mp3's.

You can also find the music to various turrican ports on other systems, but it was the amigar games with their music by Criss Huelspek that were really famous and are imho the best, ----- also better in terms of gameplay.

I've also reviewed a few turrican games (when Gamefaqs was stil being kind about accepting my reviews), look under amigar turrican and Turrican 2, and Super turrican 2 for the Snes.

As far as the hole upgrades thing goes Bryan, it would depend imho upon where the items came from.

Im Mega manh 7, every time you killed certain enemies, they'd drop bolts, which you could use to buy (or rather have Auto make), upgrades for you. Imho this wouldn't be a good thing.

In Mega man 8 however, there were screws hidden throughout the levels, ---- Eg, behind destroyable walls, on high ledges, across the sides of pits etc. I could see this sort of thing working in a Metroid style game sinse how many you got depended entirely on your exploration and jumping skills, not your pacience at repetitive enemy destruction.

though if we were already including a logue book and quest style thing as we discussed earlier, this might be a bit much for one game.

2007-10-01 15:08:08

I actually did find what seemed to be a complete Turrican soundtrack on GH. Needless to say I can see what you're talking about now. I found an MP3 entitled Prologue, and it inclded a narration about the Machine, also known as the Dark Lord. It did rather put me in mind of Metroid, both in terms of music and storyline in a way. It would be interesting to attempt such a game in audio form, especially if, as you've said, the developer wouldn't object.

2007-10-01 21:33:55

Well Bryan, you've now put me in a bit of a Quandery!

I checked Galbadia hotel, and found the tracks you mean.

there is a "turrican amigar rip" found at http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/2714 which appears to be the complete soundtrack to Amigar turrican 1, done as mp3's. Nice! The only slightly confusing thing is that there are two tracks there listed as bonus 1 and 2 which I've never heard before! either on the original Amigar game, or more recently listening to the Tfmx set.

Then, the thing with the narration your talking about at http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/2773 , though listed as "turrican original soundtrack" while it's certainly the original music (I recognized the title as Turrican 3), is most deffinately not the original Amigar soundtrack.

While the Amigar had pretty amazing audio capabilities for a computer of the late 80's, and early 90's, they weren't that! amazing, and certainly though both Turrican 2 and 3 had extensive intro sequences, they certainly weren't spoken.

Well, the good news is that the Turrican ii soundtrack on http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/3442 does most deffinately seem to e the original Amigar music to Turrican 2, with no bells and whistles, no editions, and no random dialogue!

so Bryan, you've succeeded in perplexing me! well done!

I've posted a topic about this on the united turrican forum, which should hopefully clear the matter up.

Oh, and as to music, I do agree, turrican's soundtrack, much like it's gameplay, is similar to metroids in several ways, ---- though quite different as well. I will admit though, that the turrican soundtracks are rather special for me. turrican 2 was the first game I played on the Amigar (the first truly 16 bit title I'd ever seen), it therefore started two of my major life obsessions, music with weerd miner cords and odd key changes, and massive exploration computer games.

2007-10-02 00:23:32

Hi. Here's a simpler, but still metroidy game, Kid Icarus. It was an old NES game that came out in the same year as metroid.

2007-10-02 11:25:37

Wow. I didn't even check out the Amiga soundtrack. I'll have to do that sometime, before i actually move into my apartment. While I did discover a wireless network there that I can access, it seems rather sketchy in terms of its reliability.

2007-10-03 04:49:02

Well james, Kid Ickerus is about as Metroid like a game as you could think. It uses the same game engine apparently, and I believe was written by the same chap. I have however, never had chance to try the game myself, owing to the fact that the Nes never did very well in Britain, ----- in fact, i've never even seen! one over here, accept in a collection of very broken seeming pieces once on a markit stall.

I have played a few Nes games via other systems, such as the mega man aniversery collection, and the Nes classics series. Apparently kid Ickerus was due for release in that series but never made it.

You actually need a wireless network to connect to bryan? One owned by somebody else? This isn't the way i've seen things working before generally. Here, I have a home hub system which functions nicely as a Dsl connection. I admit the wrent on it certainly isn't cheap, but with the amount of use I get out of it I think it's worth it.

Potentially, other computers could connect to it wirelessly, but given the size of my flat, it would essentially turn my laptop into a slightly fatter version of my infra red keyboard lol!

but I suppose if anyone else comes round with a computer, I can give them the password and they could use the hub, ---- it's a shame you don't own the flat next door Bryan, I could give you the password, and you could help with the hub wrent.

I solved the turrican business, apparently the so called original soundtrack is a remix by Cris Huelspech himself, the chap who famously wrote all the turrican music. i've downloaded it Bryan, sinse it's really nice to here updated instrument versions of all those great tunes, and I love the drama type sequences, though I'm not sure how they fit into the turrican storyline, sinse in T2 Bren Mcgire was the last surviver of a space mission which was attacked by the machine and it's minions, and the game took place on the planit Landorin, which the machine had previously conquered. Nothing about attacking the solar system or a unit of soldiers with Turrican sutes.

One of my various writing projects is a turrican story, which attempts to reconcile the plots of the games (there was almost no link betwene T1 and T2 at all), but with various other things to do at the moment, I don't know if I'll ever get it finished, though I stil pull it out and work on it occasionally.

2007-10-04 20:09:16

Hey all,
How about posting some good sites for old and new/modern/very very very! modern, video game and mainstream game music?

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-10-05 02:07:09

Well, quite often these days I use the afformentioned albadia hotel, which has many many things (though annoyingly, no Final fantasy stuff). You've probably got the url already, but just in case you haven't it's http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks.php

For other games, I generally go by fan sites. I've already posted the link to my favourite Turrican site. Sadly, the place where I got all my Metroid Soundtracks is no longer up and running, however there are stil several good Mega man sites out there such as http://www.atomic-fire.com/index.php?page=mp3s

And of course, the big daddy of all Mega man fan sites, the mega man network which has recently just has a revival http://blue-bomber.jvmwriter.org/index. … =Main_Page

For lots of stuff in original crazy formats (Jim, Gsf, psf etc), there's Zophr's domain game music archive on

http://www.zophar.net./music.html

Though for purely snes stuffin Spc format, I've found the actual Snesmusic.org site to have a much wider, and more frequently updated selection. You can find them on http://www.snesmusic.org/v2/

there are all my favourite Game music site links, and may they be most handy to you!