2007-08-17 01:12:07

Hi all! I'm curious as to how many people would be interest in an audio rendition of metroid. Hopefully some programmers will read this and think of a way to make that possible.

2007-08-17 12:31:53

i would like audio metroid very much. the reason: never got to play it. i want to play an audio version, to see what this game is all about. i know this: the main character is called samos and there are a bunch of evil beings called metroids, with the evil mother brain or something like that.

2007-08-17 14:59:01 (edited by sk8kid1 2007-08-17 15:00:18)

Well, I'm very interested in bringing games into audio, but the problem with metroid is that I've never played. I've had friends who have gone through metroid cycles, but I never played myself. I am interested in the project, I just need to do some research to get it right.

2007-08-17 15:04:19

I've been talking about that idea since I discovered this site nearly three years ago. It's an idea that just won't leave me alone, because it has such potential. In fact there are only two things that keep me from attempting it. 1. I crrently have no programming knowledge whatsoever, although I am hoping to try and rectify that at some point. Thomas Ward of USA Games has a coule links to some online programming courses, and as he is totally blind and used them to learn at least some of what he knows, it's pretty much a guarantee they're accessible. In fact he told me so himself on the Audyssey list and so I might look into them at some point.
2. I'm not entirely certain how certain gameplay elements of the Metroid series would be rendered in audio. But I'e been fascinated with the idea since I discovered the existence of audio games and how painfully simple most of them are.
  As to the Metroid story Argen, you're almost on the mark. Metroid tells the story of Samus Aran, a bounty hunter raised by the mysterious, birdlike Chozo people following the deaths of her parents at the hands of a band of space pirates. The Chozo infused Samus with the blood of their people, i effect making her one of them, though she remained human to all appearances. In addition they gave her a highly sophisticated, cybernetic body suit that gave her inhuman strength and abilities.
  It was at about this time that a scientific exploration vesel on its wa back to Galactic Federation headquarters was ambushed by a group of space pirates. Unfortunately, the scientists had just returned from a newly discovered planet which they named SR388, and with them they brought a newly discovered life form in suspended animation. The pirates, curious about the alien, took it back to their base of operations, the planet Zebes, which was incorretly translated as Zebeth in the Nintendo version, though the manual still said Zebes. Anyway, when the piates revived the alien, it multiplied at an alarming rate. After heavy losses, for the alien immediately began to cling to and feed on anything in its vicinity, the pirates managed to tame it to their hand. They named it Metroid.
  Hearing of this ominous turn of events, the Galatic Federation sent a task force to Zebes to try to stop the pirates from creating anymore Metroids, but they were never heard from again. However, considerng the fact that Zebes iself was practically a natural fortress many of whose natve species were almost as deadly as the space pirates themselves, it's doubtful that that task fore ever even reached the pirate base.
  Growing alarmed, the Federation commissioned Samus Aran, the bounty hunter whose reputation eceeded all others and who had completed many missions believed by others to be impossible, to travel to Zebes, alone, and find and destroy the Metroids, as well as the Space Pirate leader, the Mother Brain.
  That's the story of the original Metroid. There was als o Metroid II, where Samus journeyed to SR388, the world where the Metroid had initially been discovered, in an atempt to eliminate them all. Then there was Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime II: Echos, although Prime and Prime II actually take place between the original Metroid and Metroid II. In all but Metroid II and Metroid Fusion, the primary objective is to stop the Space Pirates from completing some evil plot or other. But I totally agree that an audio Metroid style game would be welcome. then again what with the lack of success with Rail Racer (this is according to Che himself), it's not likely that any of our current devs are going to undertake such a project. Che was hoping to sell two-hundred copies of the game and I think he only sold 120. Apparently what the AG community wants is a game they can get right into and complete without having to learn keystrokes. I personally feel this is ridiculous but I'm not the whole community.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-08-17 17:18:28

well I don't think Brian will be too surprised when i say I deffinately agree, audio Metroid would be awsome, and I'd be willing to help in any way i can with voice acting or whatever. when I've ffinished my Phd I might even try learning programming myself and have a crack at making such a game, but that will be a couple of years off unfortunately.

the other problem with producing audio Metroid, apart from all the general issues with the lack of devs and resources is it's viewpoint. Unless it was converted to an fps style game ala Metroid Prime, you'd need to do some quite radical things in an audio interface to fully represent the environment, with ledges and enemies above and below the character, as well as side to side.

I'm fairly certain this would be possible in audio (I've got a very clear notion of how to do it myself), but I'm not certain A: how easy it would be to program and B: to what extent people would take to the notion, sinse it would involve a bit of a learning process and some new ideas which hadn't come up before in an audio game.

with what you say about Rail racer Brian, I'm  mildly scheptical on the last point, though perhaps the shock value could be reduced by releasing some simple games using a similar perspective, ----- eg an audio version of the original donkey Kong or castlevania.

While I love what's been done in audio 3D with the likes of Shades of doom and Sarah, imho audio 2D games are lagging well behind.

Oh btw, as to the metroid story, Samus was born on the human Colony K-2L which was attacked and destroyed by the space pirates, with ridly, one of the space pirate generals who takes the form of a dragon personally killing samus' mother. she was then rescued from the wreckage by the choso, who bought her up on the planet of Zeebs, where she had to undergo several tests in order to earn the weapons they'd made for her such as the power sute. this was why she was chosen by the galactic councel to carry out the mission on planet Zeebs of stopping the space pirates from using beta rays to breed the Metroids to use as biological weapons.

After destroying mother brain on Zeebs, samus escaped the lower caverns of the planet, but as she took off Ridly landed in a star cruser and shot her down, seriously damaging her power sute, so she was forced to sneak into the space pirate's ship and eventually find a choso engraving which restored her sute, gave her some new weapons, and let her blow up the robotic version of ridly the pirates were working on before stealing a pirate fighter and leaving Zeebs behind. All this happened in the game Metroid Zero mission, which was an enhanced retelling of Samus' first adventure on Zeebs.

the metroid Prime games take place betwene Metroid 1 (or metroid zero mission if you prefer), and metroid 2, where Samus goes to investigate pirate actvities on different planets, and are basically concerned with a mutigenic substance called Phazon. As Brian Said, in Metroid 2 Samus goes back to sr388 to destroy all metroids on the planet after an expedition from the Galactic marines failed, then in Super metroid she takes the last living Metroid lava to a research base to be studdied by the galactic federation, but ridly turns up and steals it, so she has to go back to Zeebs and destroy the pirates once again (completely exploding the planet in the process).

In metroid fusion though, it's found out that destroying the metroids wasn't such a good idea, sinse it let another life form of sr388, the X parasite, takeover the echo system and attack a galactic research base, Samus, also now infused with Metroid Dna, then  has to hunt down all the X parasites on the research station, as well as finding out the disturbing truth that the federation are also breeding metroids, and, ----- and batling an evil clone of herself created from the X parasites as well.

In the general the plot is cool! sort of like aliens meets starwars!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-17 19:50:51

RR only sold 120 copies? Wow I'm just stunned.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-08-17 20:29:48

I'd just like to point out that an audio version of metroid would be fun but extremely complicated to program and learn.  You'd have to have a lot of key commands and the programming would take quite some time.  I looked up metroid myself and saw that the development time was about 2 years for just one of them for the sighted.

2007-08-17 21:00:16

Nobody's arguing the fact that it'd be hard work and time-consuming. In fact I believe Dark already mentioned this. But it would certainly bring a desperately needed measure of challenge to the AG market. It's funny, but I hear all these people complain about how all audio games are too simple, yet when Che releases Rail Racer they get all bent out of shape because it's not something you can get right into and win on your first try. I thought that was everybody's complaint to begin with.
  As for audio Metroid I've been brainstorming about that for about three years now, practically since I discovered audio games. I've actually had ideas about a boss battle in such a game.
The basic principle is that it's a plant-like monster not unlike Flaagra from Metroid Prime. The differene is that where Flaagra was protected by solar panels that fed it energy,, this one would be housed in a pool of acid that would not only cause damage to you if you touched it but also neutralize any attacks sent the monster's way. The idea would be that you had to find a way to drain the pool in order to render the creature vulnerable. To do this, you'd have to find four floor switches that might be hidden in the corners of the room and drop bombs on them to trigger them, all while avoiding both the energy blasts the boss fires, and its tentales, which would attempt to pull you into the acid. Once the pool was drained you could fire on the boss's weak spot when its tentacles opened up. However you could make it a timed fight where if you took too long the acid would refill the pool and you'd have to drain it again in order to cause damage.
  Again I'm not denying that it would be hard and would probably take a long time, but I personally think it'd be a worthwhile project.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-08-17 22:30:42

Well, the story sounds great! My only close to metroid experience is in super smash bros.
Since I'm not familiar with everything in metroid, I'm not sure how dificult it could be, but it's sounding might be a good challenge which I like(when I have time). I'd definitely need to wikipedia it and most importantly, talk to someone who's played it before. The palnning itself could take some time.
Brian, if you have written down any of your brainstorming in a document, I'd like to read it.

2007-08-18 00:09:28

Hi Bryan. I like that idea of a boss battle.

2007-08-18 01:50:11

I think it'd be possible to remake the old side scrolling metroid easier than one of the three dimentional ones simply because the game play in a side scrolling game is much simpler.  The problem with a game like metroid is the number of different objects. If someone could figure out a way to represent switches, elevators, and walls you can blast through then that's one of the biggest problems solved.  I myself think that undertaking a project for an audio version of metroid would be hard but worth while.

2007-08-18 04:33:14

In theory that would actually be simple. All you'd have to do is have a different sound for switches, doors and things like that. So a switch might have a beeping noise and a door could have a different sound. Then as an added help you could have a different sound for those doors which you couldn't open yet. So if you had the power beam and you approached a door that could only be opened with, say the Ice Beam, the game might play a different sound or issue some kind of warning.
  The same could be said for representing items or platforms above you. The game coud play the same sound for whatever item or platform you were approaching, but perhaps at a different pitch than normal. So you could do the usual thing for when a monster's behind you, meaning its voice could be pitched lower to indiate that it was behind you. Or if it was above you its pitch would be somewhat higher.
  SK8, you might check www.gamefaqs.com. They have some pretty good guides on the Metroid gaes. There used to be a web site that had not only the manuals and scripts for the games (a few did have actual dialogue), but also the source code for some of them. Unfortunately from wat I've been able to discover that site is no longer up. Wikipedia might be a good source of information though.

2007-08-18 11:15:12

I believe the site your thinking of there brian is the Metroid data base: http://www.classicgaming.com/mdb/ I believe they went down for a while but when I last checked they were deffinately up and running.

but if anyone does want to see Metroid documentation I've got text files of the hole lot, manuals, game scripts, and descriptions of all the enemy creatures, pluss all the logue book info for the prime games.

I'm afraid I haven't got the source code for original Metroid, but I believe the mdb stil has that available if anyone wants to see it.

I like the boss idea Brian, it rather reminds me of the Acid worm battle in Metroid Zero mission, or the battle with the plant statue in fusion where you had to use power bombs to clear out all the plant's floating spaws so as to get a clear shot at it's core.

I really don't think the items in metroid would be an issue to represent in audio, you could even borrow the Metroid Prime system and have an item scanner that would give you descriptions of each item or creature you came across (perhaps spoken by sapi).

The biggest difficulty as I said, I believe would be representing the vertical ledges in audio, but I'm fairly certain this would be possible as Brian said, by using pitch indicators to show the hight of ledges, with lower pitches used for ledges undernieth the player. Combine this with a pit sound everytime the player reaches the edge of a ledge (perhaps a wind sound effect), and maybe a footstep echo to indicate when the player is approaching a wall (though imho this might not be necessary), and you have all the navigational aides needed! for extra security you could also have a key to speak the players current coordinates within a chamber, so that if he/she accidently missed a jump or was knocked down by an enemy, the player wouldn't be too lost (though being a bit lost was always part of the fun of metroid).

You could even do quite clever things, such as having an even higher pitched sound effect for ledges above the player which he/she could only reach after collecting the high jump boots item.

As to those bombable blocks, well personally I don't see that they'd be too much of a problem, you could simply include a sound effect when they exploded to show the player that they'd found something (even in the graphical games, most often the blocks weren't obvious and you'd have to bomb lots of random walls to try and find them).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-18 17:21:27

OK then. That answers all my questions. Anyone want to try programming it?

2007-08-18 17:57:53

As I said earlier, the only thing that stops me from doing it myself is a lack of programming knowledge. However I could definitely help with the story part. We're talking about a game similar in style here, not a remake of Metroid. That would certainly be cool but I think we an get away with using the gameplay style, just with a different story and different names for the items.
  The story I came up with was, for me at least quite an interesting one and worth expanding on. The basic idea is that you took on the role of a mysterious warrior named Elana Chang, better known as Phoenix. You've been commissioned by the Galactic Alliance to investigate a mysterious energy signature from a strange planet. You would explore the world, collecting powerups for your suit that would give you new abilities, in turn allowing you access to previously unreachable locations. Someof these would of course be guarded by more powerful enemies that would need to be defeated in order to gain the items. Then of course we'd need someone to program everything, plus someone to handle the music and sound effects. In a game like this, good audio is vital, for atmosphere as well as the gameplay.

2007-08-18 19:49:56

I should check out that site and I think your ideas are great. However, I was thinking about doing it like I did mario in the sense that it's the same story.
I definitely think that this is a project ment for a great team. I definitely forsee doing this in the future if time alots.

2007-08-18 22:58:30

On the subject of complexity of audio games, I was actually expecting Rail Racer to be more complicated with power-ups like you had in Mario kart.  As it is right now, I still really enjoy it since it's more complex than any other racing game out there with some very fun and tricky obstacles.  When I have the kind of money to buy it I plan to, but I just can't do that right now what with computer games not exactly being number one on my priorities list.

And so, just so you know that I'm not off topic, I would be happy to see a complicated game like Metroid.  I'm no sort of programmer, but I'd be willing to be a beta tester.

2007-08-19 02:43:27

Personally, I feel that coming up with a different story is more fun, but that's just me. Maybe it's just because there've been enough audio remakes of classic games to bor me to a certain extent. I mean we have pac-man talks (which in any case used synthetic speach for all its characters and lost some serious points with me in that regard), and we've got Monty as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Monty, but that's probably due mostly to the fat that I never did play the original despite owning an Atari 2600.
  I notice that my ideas and those of others do seem somewhat different. When I think of an audio Metroid style game I just mean a game with similar gameplay, though a differen story. I' rather not have to deal with the same licensing issues that Thomas Ward ran into when he was trying to get Paramount to back him up making STFC. Since you'd almost hae to make this game a comercial title in order to make the time it would take to program it worthwhile, you'd do well to design your own story and character. This is just my opinion though, but from what I noticed with THomas' Jedi Strike and Finl COnflict posts you really have to be careful what you do.

2007-08-19 04:35:27

sk8kid1,
    I'm not sure if justbasic could uundertake a project like this. It's good for what it's good for, but a project like this would require directx.  I'd reccomend c#, or since you already know basic, visual basic for an audio version of metroid.

2007-08-19 14:02:52

Basic? VB? I rather doubt that. For a project like this you'll want a fairly flexible programming language. Granted I don't know squat about the various languages out there but from what I've heard C, C++ or c.net are the best for designing games of the quality we want for a Metroid style game.

2007-08-19 22:31:10

Actually, vb.net is supposed to be able to do everything c# can.

2007-08-20 00:00:53

Why is sk8kids' dragonslayer site down?

Step aboard those mighty ships, and set sail for distant shores.
But I have now lost track of it, in a time gone long before.
We can all get through this thing, some when, some way, some how.
But I was so much older then, I am yonger than that now.

2007-08-20 02:59:59

Lyle, it's that time of the month(LOL, the server takes a break for a few days at the most every month or 2). It'll be back up soon.
Yeh brian, I overlooked the license issue. This'd definitely be comercial, and I think programming something like this might be enough with out legal issues. I'd probably have agreed sooner if I hadn't realized that. I also still haven't been able to read much about metroid, so I'm not sure about the possibilites of storylines of a game like it.
I'm really not in the mood to get into the whole programming language argument for the millionth time, but I won't. This project is in the future, so I'll have plenty of time to learn something new(maybe).

2007-08-20 05:03:26

If we were ever to put together a team to seriously endeavour to undertake this project I'd be glad to help with storylines and things of that nature, even if I couldn't help with programming. Then there'd just be the matter of music, SFX and voice actors. We could use NeoSpeach or ScanSoft for the computer voices (since we're talking about a futuristic style game here even a computer of that time would probably have a fairly high-quality voice), so we'd just need voice actors for the main character and possibly her superiors as well, since they might contact her to let her know of significant developments in the situation. Or they might just send a transmission and the omputer could alert her to its contents. That's the way Metroid Prime II worked and we could probably implement a similar idea in our title.

2007-08-20 16:57:10

Those are another good batch of ideas. Maybe we could use voice acting for bosses, even though if it were just a series of grunts and alien-like noises.