2007-08-17 00:46:07 (edited by dark empathy 2007-08-17 00:54:45)

That's right! The plump and plucky plumber from Brooklyn is making his first debut in an audio game! Tommy Carol of DragonSlayer games has brought the most famous hero of all computer games into an audio-only rendition of this classic NES Super Mario Brothers title of 1985. The game features 8 levels of platforming action, original NES sound effects and genuine Mario-style music, along with all the famous foes such as Cooper Troopers, Piranha Plants and the villainous King Bowser himself.

The game is currently in Beta, so please come and give any feedback, comments or bug reports on our forum. To grab your own copy of Super Mario Brothers Audio Edition, simply slide down this warp zone pipe to Dragonslayer games. Happy monster stomping, and remember that Princess Toadstool and the Mushroom Kingdom are counting on you!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-17 02:37:03

Thanks dark,
I love how you title things; that's some awesome writing talent!
To everyone else, I really hope you like this game. The main thing I'm woried about is the music, when I had a few people test it, there was a bit of trouble getting the music playing. And if you get the midi music, and it stops, just keep going, it'll start back up.

2007-08-17 12:30:26

i beta tested this game as a private beta and got to the first bowser but then a runtime error happened. i will try this public version and hopefully it's resolved. i like the midi music. keep up the good work and remember i'll be happy to test.

2007-08-17 23:56:06

Thanks DSG. It's very good idea to render SMB to audiogame.
Unfortunately my gaming stopped in the beginning of Level 1. I just cant solve how to cill the enemy tongue.

I've created a mod, which has the original Nintendo music instead the Midis. My problem is however that I can't start SMB because the music files are in PCM Wav format, and I think Just basic has its own command to play Midis...

2007-08-18 02:18:29

I'm sorry you are having trouble getting past level 1. It does take awhile to get used to the game play, it's really reaction-based. Your mod will not work because the game is looking for midifiles, not wavefiles.

2007-08-18 23:44:21

Hi there.
I'm having a bit of difficulty with level 2.  Actually that reminds me, Are you able to add a pause feature?
Also, like in the original nintendo game, is there an invinsibility mushroom you can pick up that makes you invulnerable for a few seconds?
Thanks

2007-08-19 21:18:02

the link is broken

I live to crochet!

2007-08-20 15:55:17

I've just checked, and the Dsg website appears to be down at the moment (probably bandwitdth trouble). I'd suggest trying the link again later sinse I'm sure Sk8 will have things up and running as soon as he can.

Oh Btw, thanks for the compliments about the writing Sk8, I always try my best to make news posts catchy sinse they appear right on the front page and are viewed by visiters to the site.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-21 16:07:39

Hi!

I have read everything about this game and I was excited to try it. But now the Webpage is down. So, I want to ask you, if you maybe can upload the Game to a filesharing service like megaupload or something.

would be grade, if you could do that.

Thanks

2007-08-21 17:19:26

hello the server to download from isn.t working. I want to try this mario game beta very much. Can you send me some other link or send me installation file of mario on skype pavelondra2005. Thanks

2007-08-21 23:56:35

Hey all,
I'm really sorry about the server downtime. It does this bimonthly. If one of you could point me to a good quick upload area that supports good bandwidth and large filesize, I'll for sure put it up there!

2007-08-22 10:59:23

Hi

I have found an upload service, where you can upload files til 200 MB.
here
is the Link.

2007-08-22 17:08:13

Hi:

Try Sendspace. It can let you upload 300 MV files. The link is
http://sendspace.com

Game Man

2007-08-23 04:05:29

* waits impatiently for site to be fixed or link to be given *

I am extremely excited, being a big NES fan. smile

Jess, a curious gamer/hopeful developer.

2007-08-23 22:33:27

Is there any change in the server status? My ISP will not let me into the site, and I would like to know if the server is still down, r if it is now my ISP at falt.

2007-08-24 18:08:19

Hey,
It's confirmed. The server down is because my friend who hosts it from his home moved. He will be setting it up as soon as possible.
I've tried uploading to 1111mb, but I didn't have much luck there.

2007-08-24 18:21:06

I await its return with bated breath. sad smile I would offer to mirror it, but I'm not sure how much stress my server can take bandwidth wise. I wonder what it takes to get soething on sourceforge or places like that that a lot of programmers use to upload their programs for distribution.

2007-08-24 21:49:27

i want this beta, more than ever. i really, want, this, beta, more, than, ever! ok everyone. sk8, please don't be offended or worried or anything if i say this. but. i've played the private beta of this game and it was really good. and never managed to beat it. now it's moved on with more lvels and iwant this public addition. please! someone! mirror it or something! i know i might sound like a little kid but... really. i'm really waiting for htis this will be good. or, i could wait for those blocks to come into it i dunno.

2007-08-26 04:05:49

Well, I'm desperately looking for something relyable to mirror it or something. I don't know how much I should go through because the site could come back up soon.
I'm adding more items and blocks to smash and warp pipes. So next public beta will rock the previous one.

2007-08-30 14:33:19

sk8kid1 wrote:

Hey,
It's confirmed. The server down is because my friend who hosts it from his home moved. He will be setting it up as soon as possible.
I've tried uploading to 1111mb, but I didn't have much luck there.

I found you the mirror server. Just contact me on [email protected] to give you details about server admin.

2007-09-07 04:09:49

hi...

Is there a new link yet? heh, I'm starting to think this is my christmas present and this is christmas eve!

- wolfy

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-09-07 04:13:10

Oh btw dark empathy, I love that catchy titling link- and not to mention the article within- I could never have done that! Keep up with the great work, sk8! (this is moose from AA...just so you know). Just curious, what all games are, sort of, hmmm...packed into this game? (to my thinking, smb 1 should be its own game, same with smb 2, 3, etc) and same with super mario world. Although this would be too much programming, and probably copyright issues would come up, too.

- wolfy

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-09-07 08:59:41

thanks Wolfy, I'm glad the writing business vaguely works. I just hope Sk8 can find somewhere to host the game while his friend's server gets re-connected so that everyone can grab a copy.

2007-09-08 23:44:45

Hi,
SK8, don't get mad at me, but since everyone wants Audio Mario, I uploaded it to:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b8nskp
It works! So, everyone that doesn't have it, go an download it. And Tommy, if your angry feel free to flame at me, (I understand why you would, but I was just trying to help), but make sure its off the forum!

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-09 00:22:44

LOL, Tristan, in another thread, which you did not manage to read(we can discuss that other places, LOL, jk), I gave you permission to mirror it on the acegames server for a more stable website-based host, but if you don't want the trouble of bandwidth, I understand.