2007-09-16 03:55:11

Yes, always check with the control key; I thought I made that clear in the documentation by spelling out the items, guess I know what I've gotta work on.
smile
I'm debating this level 2 thing; I want people to challenge themselves, but maybe it's a challenge too early. Possible put that level in a later world? But then again, I admit, there is one bug that I'm not finding, so I might just sac the thing.

2007-09-16 13:35:43

which bug?

2007-09-16 16:51:32

I had it so that some enemies  ome out of blocks, at one point, something weird happens and like 2 come out or something weird like that. It's easy to get passed with fireballs. You especially know when you shoot a fireball and here the kick shell sound instead of the fireball sound.

2007-09-16 19:09:42

Hmmm, well, I can get to level 3, but those platforms are really hard. You just need to keep jumping if your not fire mario, --if your getting rid of bricks, and you'll hear the enemy in five steps sound when you jump, if that helps anyone.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-09-17 01:25:55

As ken said in his review, "there's no such thing as a speed run in this game."
The platforms are easy, you just have to take your time! I know there are people who can zip through games much faster than I(that's probably everyone of you, I'm bad at games), but you can't do that in this game. Get used to slowly timing everything out; my way.
big_smile
Muhahahahaha.

2007-09-17 02:36:50

OK, a couple other comments...

First off, the documentation says that if you make it past level 2 with fireballs, you can warp to level 3, which is the level with the spinies and stuff.  I could be wrong, but I've come to the conclusion that that is utterly impossible, at least right now.  I've tried going carefully through level 2, and also just purely button mashing my way through it.  Somewhere right at the end, there's always a koopa that I always get hit by right before the flag pole.  There are also 2 power ups right at the end that I can never get.  I presume these are both mushrooms?

I still haven't been able to get past level 5 (the one after the first castle).  There's always a particular koopa paratroopa that kills me, even with fireballs.  I kind of assumed there was a gap I was falling into, but I'm not sure about that.  It sounds like a bug to me.

Now, onto some things that would make the game more "marioesque".  Well...all except one.

* the power up system should be just like all Mario games, where if you are small any "normal" power up gives you a  mushroom, and if you're super mario you get a fire flower.  IMO you shouldn't be able to go streight from regular mario to firey mario.  I assume this is why some power ups aren't attainable right now, because they are fixed I.E. always a mushroom or fireflower.  Does that make sense?
*getting hit by a firebar should revert you to either super or regular mario rather than killing you.
*bring back the invinsability star!
* this one  is just my oppinion, but if you're going to stick to using music in midi fformat, ditch the level 1 music and replace it with the music in level 3a.  Two reasons for this.  First, IMO the level 1 music has too much of a rock n roll feel to it.  With the music in level 3a, in game sounds are, at least to me, alot easier to hear.  Secondly, IMO it makes the level feel a bit more like the classic Super Mario Bros game we all know and love.  I believe this is the same midi version of the song I tried using as a ring tone on my cell phone once.
* Would it be possible to make the game have a normal installer?

I listened to that review as well, but I personally don't agree with the strategy he uses.  Not saying it can't work, I just couldn't get it to so went back to my old one of just hitting right arrow 4 times when I hear the enemy.  I can get through level 1 fairly quickly considering all the timeing you have to do.  This game is a good game and it sounds like it will get better as new things are added and bugs fixed.  IMO it does detract slightly from how I thought an audio mario game would be by having to time everything out slowly.

2007-09-18 03:06:22

Well, level 2 is officially buggified and will hit the recycling bin in the next version.
Also, I do know level 5 is hard, I will skim that for bugs; there's possibly a numeric messup somewhere in where I placed a paratroopa.
Those two powerups that you miss are actually extra lives; at the end of one underground world in the original smb, I remember there being 3 extra lives that were really ahrd to get, I decided to emulate that and they certainly are hard to get; it'd take some pretty crazy button mashing.
Now that I've established that this game isn't strictly smb, I may not change the powerup system and I kind of like the diversity in the music. Starting the game off with the more upbeat track really gets the game off to a good sounding start to me; I like to play along to something like that track.

2007-09-18 17:13:31

i have one thing to say, turn the midi down a bit. makes it much easier to hear and it sounds like it's just in the background. plus the fact that i contributed the music i found on the website (sk8, add vgmusic.com to the credits please...) and on the hole this marrio game is good. stuck at level 5 still, but really enjoy it. i have not played it for a while though, but i will soon.
keep up the good work.

2007-09-19 23:36:15

You can turn the midi down from your sound card. For me anyway, its the sw synth volume. Yeah, this game is really great- and yes, I agree, I didn't get Kenns stratigy- not that it wouldn't work, as you say- but I just have my own which works, imho, anyway, a little better.

2007-09-21 03:45:15

Yeh, I can't turn down the midi, only you can and aaron, I got the music from themushroomkingdom.net

2007-09-28 04:12:12

hmmm, server stil down? Dang.

2007-09-30 22:48:57

Yes, it appears so and right now, I'm not really in the position to do anything. My outside comitments are only increasing which is only allowing the odd weekend hours for work. I just want everyone to know that I still am working, just at a decreased pace.

2007-10-01 00:52:01

Hear you sk8. That's all I've got too and only one forth that much.  But it is fun. No many talking too me here though. I got the plague or something? Tell a bad joke? What's up?

Yo

2007-10-07 14:54:49

Hmmm, I'm considering just adding another level(level 3-1) or world 3 level 1, whatever, and go back to fixing level 1-2 next patch just to get new material. It seems as if some are being able to get past and losing with the paratroopa bug which I believe I fixed.