2007-08-28 06:34:01

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the horizontal lifts in audio unless your going fullly vertical with the other ledges, eg, you have a long row of horizontal lifts across the top, with many coins and items, and falling down to the bottom means taking the usual route (but obviously, you take the usual route from the place you fell from on the above route). Also, imho it's much less plausable for you to die if you don't get off a horizontal lift in timee than with a vertical lift (vertical lifts often either carried you down to an abyss, or squashed you against the cieling).

though I suppose with horizontal lifts you do get more challenges to your jumping timing, ie, jumping onto the lift as it comes towards you, then jumping off again at the other end.

then again, if you include instantly falling ledeg ledges, horizontal lifts become much harder sinse you have to adjust your jump timing from instantly jumping off a falling ledge, to waiting until a horizontal lift is in position.

I hope though, that all these various elements will stil make the editer possible, sinse imho that'd be an incredibly good thing.

As to the server, I hope you get things sorted sooon. Perhaps now that dsg is producing such high quality stuff, you might considder moving the site to somewhere more relyable.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-29 00:26:29 (edited by audiogamer360 2007-08-29 00:28:57)

maybe... hmmmmm sendspace? and then this is just an offer, I could host it? Until your srv's back up?

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-08-29 13:13:07

hey,
i've tried the beta, got past the first bowser! i must ay it's less buggy. that's good. and, world 2 is really hard i can't get past those cooper paratroopers they are quite hard. i'll have to try again i only tried it once. there should really, really be a save game feature. perhaps one where you can press a key to save, and if you don't it saves at the beginning of each new level.

2007-08-30 02:41:22

Well dark, my server is reliable for the most part; you can't find anything better; unlimited bandwidth. the only reason it goes down is because it's a home hosted deal, so power outages, moving, etc can make it go offline for a bit.
About the lifts, You took my brain for a spin there for a second, but I think I'm back on track.
Vertical Lifts:
3 choices.
Run across before lift moves(path 1)
go up(path 2, may result in death).
wait and go back down which gives you the cance to take path 1, then desend to path 3(can result in death)

Horizontal lifts(non vertical mode):
Timing work when to jump on and off.

Aaron - I'm glad you got the beta.
And, sort a bit off, but just so people know, koopa is spelled k,o,o,p,a, I know it's probably pronounced different in England.

2007-08-30 08:19:22

Ah Sk8, appologies for being incoherent, sometimes my game ideas do have a nsty habbit of running away with me. that is indeed what I was thinking as far as the lifts go. Perhaps though, so as not to confuse the player who hasn't read this topic, as the vertical lifts move they should announce the path they come to, Eg: upper, middle, or lower. That way people could plan their routes more easily, and not get off at the middle route by mistake, thinking it was the lower route.

As for the Koopa business, I'm slightly lazy with a lot of game name spellings myself, sinse when reading scripts and faqs and such, I generally just Bang hal into continuous document read and then guess the spelling from Hal's pronunciation. this is why I was slightly confused when playing Mk deadly alliance to find that the person I'd been thinking of as Quan Ky, was actually Quan Chee (please excuse phonetic spelling).

As to Koopa, well it's pronounced exactly the same in england as in the States, ----- or Japan I believe, as to rhyme with Trouper, or indeed super! (other topic related grooooone).

In fact, imho it rhymes slightly better with Trouper than in some Us accents, because obviously in Uk English you don't pronounce the R at the end of Trouper.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-31 23:40:05 (edited by audiogamer360 2007-08-31 23:43:01)

how can a server have unlimited bandwidth? And how much storage... About the beta could you put it up on sendspace, then post the url and then everyone that doesn't have it can get it?

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-03 19:30:49

Sure, I'll have a go at sendspace.
The lifts could have different sounds for each path, a high, medium, or low sound. May not all be the same sounds; I have this thing for using sounds from other mario games.

2007-09-04 12:44:53

Hmmm, while I like the idea, you might need to raise or lower the pitch of some Mario sound effects with a sound editer, ----- but you've probably already got a good one of those anyway.

I hope you can get the server business fixed, or at least send space working. Luckily I'm now at my parents' with my laptop, and thus can both play Mario and also copy it onto my main desktop pc when I get back to my flat.

2007-09-05 04:48:47

Well, about hosting; because of time difference and school, I haven't been able to establish skype contact with my host. So triastan, if you're reading this and I haven't talked to you yet, you have permission to mirror audio mario.

2007-09-07 03:59:07

Hello

I don't see the URL to sendspace- and, I went to ace games website- I'm not sure where to navigate to, but I couldn't find it. Survers stil down, blah...

This sucks. I was all worked up about it and now it feels like its christmas and I'm waiting for santa to bring me my present! I mean, really! You watch your sited friends play it and it sounds so damn cooool! And here it is, audio mario. So hopefully you get it sorted out soon, haha.

anyways- sorry to ask this- but, anyone here played sonic the hedgehog for sega genisus? Would it be hard to program? Of course this is just a general question, but I think it'd be awesome if that would be possible. The possibilities! Ecco the dolphin, hmmm...streets of rage (one of my favorites!), golden axe, etc. Of course that'd take forever to program, but just a few things to throw out there, since I haven't yet seen anything come close to streets of rage (I think the closest one that came close to it was danger city, but developement got closed).

I can't wait to try this game out- it sounds totally cool!

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-09-08 23:46:47

Ok i will mirror it... "I havent read it yet but yeah. Skype me, when servers up.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-08 23:56:01

I am setting up the mirror, sorry for the delay. I will post the link in a sec.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-09 00:27:36

Okay, posted in another topic, scratch the thing about you not reading this thread, LOL.
I know you put it on sendspace, if you don't think it's too much trouble, hosting it from acegames server would be awesome!

2007-09-09 18:12:49

k url is:
http://www.acegamesonline.net/downloads/games/mario.zip
Now everyone have fun and download it!
Happy gaming,
Tristan
P.s. There will be a link,, soon, and... i mean, soon!

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-09 19:03:25

A link to where? I just got it and am on level 3...man, does this ever bring back nastalgic memories for me!

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-09-10 05:47:22

The game is great! Now if I could just get passed level 3A... sad

Jess, a curious gamer/hopeful developer.

2007-09-10 10:12:20

Yo! Well, first of all, I hate games with bad/low quality sounds, so dsg please fix it. The second thing is that every time when I walk or jump then I die without hearing an enemy. I dont like it. May be someone has wrote about it allready, but I got no time to read through all the pages. Bye for now, and happy gaming. I'll rather play some rr, sod, gtc, mb and sd, troop2, and pipe2 and ts.

John, the super audio gamer

2007-09-10 12:52:46

If you have a problem with the Sounds, I suggest you take it up with Shigeru Miyamoto, and Nintendo of Japan, who first created the super Mario brothers game in 1985 for the Nes. Sk8 has done a great job of using the original game samples to create an audio version of the game, "Fixing" the sounds as you put it, would slightly defeat the object of trying to remake Mario as an audio game.

As for the monsters, as it says in the manual, you'll here a sound when the monsters are 5 steps away, check the learn game sounds menue for the various sounds. Getting the timing right to jump on the monsters requires a certain amount of patience I admit (something which is being considdered), but nothing that a litle persistance can't overcome.

2007-09-10 18:04:02

I have to agree with Dark on this one. The game sounds are perfect simply because they are meant to sound as they do; it helps to lend authenticity to the game. As for dieing, I suggest you do as said above. It takes a bit of work to get the timing right, I will admit. smile

Jess, a curious gamer/hopeful developer.

2007-09-11 19:34:33

Hi. I downloaded the game.
It's cool! I got to level 2 on the first world. I can also do that on the regular mario sometimes.
An idea you can try is tunnels where you can get coins and stuff.
Good job on the game sk8!

Bryan Mckinnish

2007-09-11 20:38:31

I believe sk8 has plans to add warp pipes, but Certainly this isn't the final finished version of Audio Mario, good as it is.

to everyone that's been having trouble working out the timing, ken downey (the fellow who developed enemy attack etc), has just put up a pretty nice walkthrough on his site, where he clearly explains the timing you need to stomp the enemiess.

for some weerd reason, everytime I try and repost the link to his site it doesn't work, but you can find it on the Pcs games fantastic games page http://www.pcsgames.net/game-co.htm (it's the link labled Ken downy's dreamtech interactive).

2007-09-13 02:05:12 (edited by sk8kid1 2007-09-13 02:35:18)

Hey all,
Thanks for the comments and supporting my ideas about authenticity.
Wow... A review, I'm hitting up the dreamtech site now!

Okay - I listened to the review.
I thought it was really a nice review and he took not being able to beat level 2 very well. I guess that's the way it should be, I do think level 2 of world 1 is not the best made and it's probably too hard. I'm considering redoing it, but I really want to move forward, but hardly anyone is getting anywhere else, so I guess world 3 may have to take the backseat momentarily.
I don't know, what do you guys think?

2007-09-15 17:30:58

sounds cool, i am having trouble on level 2, as well.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-15 17:47:49

Until I get an update out there, when you get fireballs, use them like crazy in level 2. Don't go just holding the control key, you will die, but after every for steps, shoot two fireballs.
Also, in Ken's review, he says it's powerups to be fire, that isn't true. Some powerups are mushrooms and some are fireflowers.

2007-09-15 22:33:20

Oh, ---- can you go streight from small Mario to fire Mario without the super phase? I didn't know that.