2007-08-21 11:31:57

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the random coins in blocks thing there sk8, imho it's a fairly large change to mario sinse one of the biggest points about the game was learning precisely in each level where all the various items were, and which blocks you should and shouldn't bash.

the warp zone thing is deffinately somethin I like though. there were several levels in games like super Mario world which worked rather like that, and imho giving the player something to learn is always good.

It'd be quite nice if you could get the game sounds to the point where players wouldn't need a description of each level in the manual to play them, ------ perhaps by having tutorial levels which showed off the various enemies and their effects. While I agree you do probably need some good information in the docs of audio games, sometimes it can slightly spoil the surprise.

As you probably already know, the Lost levels was the Japanese only sequal to original Mario. the gameplay was basically the same, accept with much harder level design, and some slightly annoying tweaks, such as having Piranha plants keep going up and down when your standing next to the warp pipe which they're coming out of, reverse warp zones that actually took you back in the game, and unexpected enemies such as Bloopers attacking in overland levels (you could stomp them at that point though), as well as the poisonous mushrooms I already mentioned.

elemental blocks would also be a new one for Mario, though super mario world did have a vaguely similar system of switches which would make blocks of various colours appear on the levels of the game. this was particularly fun sinse activating one switch on a later level could create some different blocks on an earlier one and let you get to other areas. Perhaps adapting the switch system to work in a single level would have a similar effect to the elemental idea and keep things relatively close to original mario.

I think doing a full audio port of Mario with a completely represented vertical dimention is entirely possible, but would (as we've been saying about audio Metroid), require several indicaters and a bit of learning from the player.

As you said Sk8, you'd need a stepping sound for Mario which changed when there were blocks above your head, but you'd also need an indicater of when there was a block low enough for you to jump ontop of, sinse just because a block was above you, that wouldn't mean you could necessarily jump ontop of it (it might be too high up).

then, you'd need an indicater for when you were at the edge of a particular block, and probably a different indicater for when there was a pit below which you needed to jump over, and when you could safely drop down onto the ground.

finally, you'd need a walking into a wall sound for when you walked into a block on the same level as you horizontally.

Given these indicaters though, I don't see any reason at all why Mario shouldn't be fully convertable into an audio game, with all the original level design intact.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-21 17:06:16

what the?
everytime I try to click on the website to get it, its says, "Can not find server."

Connor

2007-08-21 17:46:02

Well, if you've been reading the forum, you'll know that the server is down.
Yeh, I don't really like the random getting of coins. When I install these audio steps, I'm just gonna make some different that indicate you're  under a block that you may be able to jump up and smash depending on what size mario youare. Maybe you won't be able to get these over head smashes if you're small mario, hmm, what would you prefer? I may leave in the random coins in the path barring bricks as well, just to add a little twist if you're going for high score. I think I can put items in blocks. You'll just here the brick smash and a vine growing, then you can jump and get the item; it won't go 5 steps away. I could also add random blocks that could have nothing, an item, or a coin. Maybe I could also make warp pipes that take you ahead, or back, in the level instead of a different level(there'd be some warping pipes as well). And also, you could add random pipes like adding random blocks! I'm not sure about the vertical demention yet. There'd probably be stair blocks to get up or something. One more thing the game had is the lifts; I'm not sure how to use those yet either. I think all this development may shelve the level creator, but it's still to look forward too. All these new dementions will make enemies have more guarding duties as well like in level 2 when the koopas guard the extra lives. What is going to make verticalness hard is how the enemies are on timers. Maybe they'll just stop persuit when you go up or down(onto a different level). Now I'm just thinking how to distinguish between levels and stuff; probably conditional statements with the and in there... Just programming stuff...
If you guys ever get to teh water level, you can play with a bit of vertical atmosphere, but it's not much; just making sure you're not on the same level as the enemy.

2007-08-21 23:14:22

Well, warp pipes to take you back and forth through the level would certainly imho be a good thing, though I could see random warp zones being quite an annoyence. In fact, personally, I'm against the idea of putting any random elements into a mario game, sinse it was always a very basic tennit of the series that enough practice and learning would be able to get you through, sinse all the enemies and items and such would be in the same places each time you played, and enough discovery and trial error would get you through rather than luck.

I like the blocks above idea though. Traditionally, small mario couldn't smash blocks.

as for the vertical stuff, I don't think stairs would be too much of a problem, given a walking into wall sound and a "Ledge withing jumping distance" sound.

so your on the first step, you try to walk forward, hit a wall but hear you can jump up to the right, you try to walk forward, hit a wall but here you can jump up again etc.

Enemies on different vertical levels to you might be a bit tricky to represent, especially sinse some enemies in the mario games would walk off whatever ledge they started ontop of. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to simply have enemies not attack you until you jump across, or up or down to whatever ledge they're on.

as for lifts, well vertical lifts would be relatively easy, sinse a vertical lift doesn't move it's horizontal position, and all you'd have to do is jump ontop of it and start going up and down. a ledge indicater sound could indicate at what point you were supposed to jump off the lift, though obviously jumping off too soon or late wouldn't be a good thing. this might however be more of a pain to program I'm guessing sinse what position you ended up at would depend upon when you jumped off the lift.

Horizontally moving lifts might be more of a pest to represent I think, but you could make a game quite successfully without them.

As for the level editer, well more vertical elements would probably mean harder editing as well. perhaps you could considder the full vertical stuff for a future project or major upgrade?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-22 00:03:20

Yes, full vertical stuff could be a major upgrade.
Right now, if we want vertical, maybe you still have one direction, but there is still some vertical elements, like you have to worry about going up steps. There may not be going back and forth, but it'll just be more obsticles in your way.
I really like the vertical lifts, I could really have some fun with those. I may just release a patch with the random coins, then go straight to reworking the levels adding blocks with certain things in them above you to jump and smash if you're not small mario. Small mario will still be able to smash blocks out of your path, that may have random coins, or I may just take that out.

2007-08-22 01:25:03

Hey everyone, the password to andy's ftp is: ****!
Just kidding, but andy, thanks for the offer, but I think I may have a few other hosts lined up. But if it's okay, I could contact you if I need extra help.
I just programmed a version with step sounds(from the original dk game). They work fine accept for when you're fighting bowser, so I just took them out of there.

2007-08-22 04:05:57

I tried your game. Can't get the hang of it. It is me though and not your game. I'm not a big mario fan.  Only Mario cart as it was multi player and I played with my kids. it was a kick. I noticed while your game was playing the music and I hit the up arrow I could hear your voice in background faintly. Is that supposed to happen? How did you do that in Jbasic? I had to use playwave sync mode as async cuts off the previous wave file. Java S will mix sound using <bgsound src = ....       Lbasic doesn't do that as far as I know. So how did you get away with that? It is like you maybe have two programs running and hitting your sound card each one with a sound.

Step aboard those mighty ships, and set sail for distant shores.
But I have now lost track of it, in a time gone long before.
We can all get through this thing, some when, some way, some how.
But I was so much older then, I am yonger than that now.

2007-08-22 07:52:08

sounds good, I think hidden items and warp pipes could make quite a difference to the game.

If you want to stick close to original Mario, the smashing blocks out of your path business isn't exactly accurate, but I think your right that you need at least some sort of extra obstacle to get in your way which you can't just walk past.

stairs and lifts might be fun, even if your not going for the full vertical business at the moment. i could see stairs beeing interesting sinse you could have the player attacked by a monster the instant he/she jumps up the stairs, making for some very fast reaction times required.

Personally Lile, I could never get on with mario kart, but then again, the only racing game I've ever had any remote success in has been rail racer, and even in that I need to practice hard to be able to get passed some of the obstacles.

Perhaps Sk8, having vertical elements added to the game slowly over time is a good way of getting people used to this style of game, so that when yourself (or somebody else), attempts something really complex in 2D such as audio metroid or Mega man it won't be quite as much of a shock.

2007-08-22 13:09:09

sk8,
when you do virticle elements, host the game, but have different versions. for history dragonslayergames sake if you get what i mean.
so you can have one with and one without, one with elements added over time, that is, v1.0, in a menu, then you go down and it says v1.1 or you could just host them all on the download page but that'd be a lot of bandwidth or ytou can host the different tkn files so people can choose what version.
what do you think.

2007-08-22 14:53:49

I suppose I could do separate versions.
Okay, the step version takes a bit of getting used to, just don't get too destracted with them and it's the same.
Lyle, I put my voice in the menu by making that a wavefile and the music is a midifile. You can  play a midi and a wavefile at the same time.
I'm thinking since we're not going full vertical there'll be less blocks, and more of a risk. I figure this because in vertical, there's more searching and the original version had the running out of tiem version which I am not including as of yet.
I think slowly including vertical elements is good. I will start adding stairs and lifts in world three, how about it?

2007-08-22 15:49:44

sounds like a good plan, and I deffinately like the level editing idea for this first Mario game.

Perhaps when audio Mario has a sufficient amount of obstacles to play with and a level editer, instead of simply a new version you could then create a second game, ----- super mario audio extreme (or something like), with more of the vertical elements we've been discussing. the emphasis of that 2nd game would change slightly i think as you say, requiring a bit more logic from the player, and probably involving a few more hidden items and less monster bashing.

As far as time goes, you could considder having time limits if you like, though personally that's one aspect of gameplay (particularly in games that involve searching for hidden items), that I really don't like at all.

2007-08-23 03:33:03

Okay, blah so I had to remove the steps, too sluggish, but besides that, things are going great! I've started adding blocks that you can hit if you're not small mario with items that include fireflowers, poison mushrooms, coins, and some bricks are just empty. I also may make enemies come out of blocks in a future world. I am forseeing more worlds(at least 2 more).
If gamers don't mind not having running out of time feature, I don't care if I don't add it; annoying thing anyway.
And I've added a few warp zones with blocks. I'll add more warp zones and maybe some hidden warp pipes to different worlds. Hmmm, maybe fake glitches so that you jump in a certain place, you get warped with no audio indication of the area to jump. There's a few things like that in smb.
And woo! I think I figured out a simple coding way to go about going fully vertical! So super audio mario extreme will be an interesting project with ledges, platform gaps, drops, bricks to smash, stairs, lifts(?), and more!

2007-08-23 12:28:46

i couldn't check out the beta before it went down. i might actually wait until the block thingy comes or something, i dunno.

2007-08-23 16:48:22

Glad things are working. both having monsters come out of bashable blocks, and hidden secrets with no indication were part of the mario games, so that side of things is even sticking close to the original. I'm sorry the stepping sound slows things up, hopefully you can find a way around this as well.

About the random warps, I like the idea, however, but I think there would have to be a sound to indicate that you have actually warped, and maybe a vocal indication of where you've warped to, otherwise things might get slightly confusing,

So, your walking along as normal, jump randomly in a certain spot and suddenly here yourself falling down a warp zone. After the warping sound follows the message "world 2 level 1" and thus you know where you've gone.

I'm glad the vertical stuff is coming together coding wise. Imho it will be a major change in audio games when it's done.

As for time, well I'm being slightly hippocrytical here, sinse I'm the one who's been recommending sticking fairly close to some of the original mario concepts, but if nobody else likes the idea of including time limits I'm most deffinately happy with leaving them out sinse, as I said, they annoyed me. lol!

2007-08-24 14:30:11

Haha, yes, no time limits!
I may need to find an actual step sound to make it not so sluggish, but it can't sound too real.
I'm thinking add lots of blocks and warps(or at least a good amount, not a tone), and I'm thinking of maybe saving my full vertical engine for a different game? I could make it mario, but maybe a different mario game. Or I could use the engine for multiple games, I just think when a developer releases different games with pretty much the same controls, it may get a bit old. When I say engine, it's just my way of coding it btw. It's not like an agm or anything.

2007-08-25 05:05:58 (edited by dark empathy 2007-08-25 05:52:52)

Well, I don't really think there will be too much trouble with releasing two audio mario games, particularly sinse the vertical elements might change things around quite a bit. Even Originally the Lost levels was released as Mario 2 in Japan (though not released outside Japan until the Snes came out), and that was almost exactly the same game as original mario, accept with more difficult level design.

Also, if audio mario it getting a level editer, and vertical mario isn't, that will be a difference.

You might add some different mario series enemies to the game to change things around, such as bullit bills, bobombs or shy guys, and perhaps include different mario musics, but I think the vertical elements will be enough to distinguish the 2nd game.

as an alternativve though, you could always either bill the vertical game as a different platformer converted into audio, or go completely creative and do your own thing, ------ even if you borrowed concepts like stomping on enemies to kill them (there were many games that worked like this I believe).

If you wanted to try audiofying a different platformer to Mario, you might considder Jet set willy, a simple, addictive, very famous old collection style platformer for computers like the Zx spectrum (you can even get the music in Midi format).

for more info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Set_Willy

Despite being quite a large game in terms of the size of the levels, you do have fewer objects to considder in the program, sinse the game was entirely based upon avoiding and not killing the enemies  and collecting a certain amount of items. Also, it might be a good introduction for vertical elements because it is such a simple game. In fact, reading your block idea in the Metroid topic, I think it'd probably work very well, assuming your could fix the enemy's movement.

Of course, this is only one game suggestion, and there are probably quite a few others, but as your programming the thing it's all up to you (though if you wanted some voice acting or maybe some music I might be able to help).

2007-08-25 17:27:54

What I'd love to do is make the ultimate mario game. It'd be my vertical level creator with some flat directional mazes. Flat meaning that you move through like a grid like in egg hunt or something.This would be a long involved game with lots of bosses from lots of different mario games. There'd be tones of obsticles, mario enemies, and mario items. There could even be new factions that I'd create. The game would give all the characters voices, so there'd be voice acting and I'd use available mario sounds for mario. It'd be so fun!
The only problem is that all that work probably couldn't go for free and so much of it would be copyrighted, so I'd need nintendo's permission.
I'm thinking on not so vertical audio mario, I'm trying to think of a way to make lifts useful or challenging. It could just be another timing thing, or it could take you on different routes...

2007-08-26 01:43:47

Well you'd certainly have a lot of elements to play with given the diversity of game genres the Mario crew have appeared in over the years, ---- 2D and 3D platformers, sports games, racing, rpg, party style minigames, and even a couple of pretty horrible edutainment games on the snes. , but as you say, running into nintendo over copywrite issues could be a problem.

My only slight concern with mixed genre titles though, is that they end up falling into the same trap as Tarzan Jr, which imho would've been much better if philip had just created a streight 2D platform game and missed out the other level types.

as to the lifts, one idea might be to have them as oppertunities to choose your route through the level. Even if your not going for the full vertical experience, you could stil have several "jump off" indicater as the lift goes up, leading to different paths with different items and hazards on them, ----- obviously if you were going full vertical, jumping off at the top would lead you to a top ledge above the bottom, and you might be able to fall down to the ground.

If on the other hand your going semi-vertical, getting off at the top could just be another path, with it's own pits and such.

Depending upon how cruel you were feeling, you might also considder making some lifts drop and kill the player when they reach the top (though not in original Mario, Super Mario world had some ledges like this).

this would mean that getting on a lift was a bit like a game of chicken, where the player can choose to jump off atthe first route indicater, or stay on to see if there's another route, though at a risk of dying if there isn't one.this might also be a nice way to hide items, by having two or three routes off some lifts which only players willing to risk losing lives would be able to find.

2007-08-26 04:10:51

Yes, I like the risk factor.
Some will take you to different roots, while others will just let you fall down... down... doooooowwwwwwwwwn.!
Muhahahhahaha!
Lifts can have 3 possibilities, you walk across and keep going. You get off on the down side, or you get off on the upside. I may not include the option of walking fast across on some lifts; now, I'm not sure. I think they should be uniform. Hmmm....
About my other major game idea, all the levels would be the same style, just the plotline would be ultimate with many of the characters brought together.

2007-08-26 17:58:28

Well there are certainly a lot of characters to play with for a mario plot, and alternaeate routes through the levels etc could allow you to discover more.

As to the lifts thing, if some will lead to different routes and others to death, there won't be too much uniformity, even if you made them all the same size in steps. With lifts like this and the warps and hidden blocks, there's going to be a hole load of hidden stuff, which imho is an extremely! good thing.

and of course, a level editer will make things even more fun.

Btw reguarding the editer, perhaps you could considder allowing level creaters to add their own background music, ---- either in midi or better stil in mp3. that way people could create not only levels with lots of different items and paths through them, but levels wth different themes and atmospheres.

2007-08-27 00:59:08

Hey,
Tommy can ya email audio Supermario  brothers to me? My email is:
[email protected]
--remove the x's
Thanks,
Tristan

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-08-27 01:02:57

I could host the game, well the server is down under the downloads section, or something. I would put it under other...

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-08-27 02:56:27

Hmmm, I'm not sure my provider would let me email such a file, I'll try...
With these lifts, the level creator will be much harder.
What I mean by the lifts being uniform is like having them have the same choices(2 or 3 paths). I'm thinking 2.
1. You just walk across.
2. You get taken up to death or to another part of the level.

2007-08-27 04:20:26

I must admit I was invisioning 3 choice lifts, but then again, even if the lifts are only two choice, you could stil create levels with lots of sub paths and possible deaths by using many of them, so it'll work out alright.

Btw Sk8, appologies for joining the mob, but sinse I'm now back at my flat and my desktop, I'm also waiting for a download of the game to be available, sinse it's currently only on my laptop which I left with my parents.

2007-08-28 03:55:37

Blah, well, yes, about the server... As robin puts it, "it's still in the movingbox."
Hmmm, I'm thinking a few less 3 choice lifts may be easier to program under time constraints. So you go up and down and you just choose when to get off, right? I could even add horizontal lifts just for a timing thing.
Oh, some lifts just drop you, and some go up and down on 3 levels and you choose which path to take.