2015-01-26 23:29:49

Every developer goes through a never-ending learning phase. With every project they start, they learn something new, something they haven't thought of before. Unless it's a guess the number game. But still.

I'm pretty sure that every developer out there knows what I'm talking about. And for those who would like to join me on a journey writing a SoundMUD ish game, can read and talk to me through a development diary I'm starting. I wanted to log my thoughts from the very beginning to the final product.

It's a very easy game. If you are intrigued and wish to read and possibly help me in this process, simply head over to devdiary.dragonapps.org and participate! Everyone is free to register and comment underneath each and every one of my posts with their own thoughts. I haven't seen this in the audiogames community yet, so I thought I might as well give it a try. Writing out your thoughts definitely helps get them steady and solid, which makes it easier to implement and realise them. And hey, other developers who are into this sort of thing might even be able to help me. This is game development out in the open.

There is not much to it yet, however I do plan to change this as I go on. And hey, maybe someone will find those posts useful. Who knows. And learn from the mistakes I'll be making along the way. LOL

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2015-01-27 03:08:37

Hey MR Dragon, since I'm not a developer, I can offer you my plot ideas and playtesting if interested. I'm trying to understand Bgt, but the process is going waaaaay too slow for me to be able to help with this.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-01-27 10:51:48

Don't worry. Even if you don't know much about coding, even if you're trying to learn, this might be a good starting point. I won't show you how to code, but I will at least try to show you how you would manage your project. Or how I would do it, anyway. Which might be good, mmight not. Depends on how it ends up. LOL

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2015-01-27 15:34:58 (edited by defender 2015-01-27 15:36:16)

I kind of just want to see this for the entertainment value, and it's interesting besides.  I can't code worth shit, I suck at math, and I feel way more at home with sound design than I ever will with code that I have to baby and coax like a mentally disabled rock that's 3 grades behind, just to possibly get something out of it that is more likely than not to crash instantly, or burn out slowly.

Surprisingly, I'm actually okay with kids though, despite what you might believe from that statement... big_smile And I do respect and, to some degree understand coders, scripters, command line junkies and the like,  and their ideals and reasons for doing what they do, it's just I can't stand the idea my self.

Still, it's a great thing that your offering to the community, so thanks Gorth, and I think I'll be tuning in.

2015-01-27 16:03:04

Well, I personally think it can be a rewarding experience. It won't be the next big thing. It's mainly a learning exercise for me. But I do know that it'll be quite fun and once I'm done, I do see potential of adding things to it.

It reminds me a lot of Swamp. However, Swamp isn't that well with player groups, at least when I last played it it wasn't. And this game will primarily focus on it.

I thought about interfacing with teamspeak, so that the position of a player changes as you move about. newer mainstream games have been doing this a lot. But that's something that will, if at all, come with a later update.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2015-02-08 02:42:56

This is a fantastic idea. Making the development process programmers go through to make a game can only be a good thing. I'll definitely go take a look.