2015-01-25 03:02:06

Hi,
First off, I must say, I know absolutely nothing about game development, but wish to develop a sidescroller game. While I don't have any ideas as of yet, I'd like it to have talking menus, enemies to shoot, music for each level, and maybe a sound that continuously loops for like a level atmosphere. Is there somewhere I can start, maybe an audio tutorial somewhere that will teach me how to start off? Making the files to speak the menu prompts, numbers, etc. I can do. I just have no idea if it's even a hard process...it sounds it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2015-01-25 03:38:47

Kev5688, as you are a complete newbie at this you might want to look at Philip Bennefall's BGT, Blastbay Game toolkit, as it has the documentation you'll want to begin building games. Plus was designed for the blind programmer.

That said, what you propose is by no means simple or easy. Before you can create a side-scroller you'll have to learn a programming language such as C++, Python, or BGT, learn how to use various APIs, and learn how to implement various common mathematical formulas to make things work. If your not a very good student of math then writing a game will be rougher for you as side-scrollers and other interactive games require quite a bit of math and sometimes some physics to make it work correctly.

The point I am getting at here is that there are several steps involved in the game writing process. First, pick a programming language and various toolkits you want to use. Two, learn how to use them. Three, write several practice applications and games. Finally, once you know enough try and write something bigger and better. There is no way to go from absolute newbie to writing something as advanced as a side-scroller without several steps in between.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-01-25 08:51:13

you can certainly code a sidescroller without too much math...

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2015-01-25 14:10:56

Yes, in bgt, you don't really need much math to code a sidescroller, at least not the basic framework of one, which so far is all I can really do.

2015-01-25 18:38:57

Depends if you want it to be the number line side-scroller or the post bk3 side-scroller.
The type of math here is not so much trigonometry as it is being able to manipulate equations and think about situations involving geometry.  I'd say it doesn't involve complicated math, but it does involve quite a bit of math when all is said and done.  The issue for new programmers here is that you're going to have to turn "object is to the left and above" into some sort of equation at the same time you're learning programming, and there is certainly a physics system involved-all be it one that simply does addition and multiplication, and probably only takes up 50 or 100 lines.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-01-25 22:17:03

You do not need math for a basic sidescroller. If your just starting out with something basic, you can just handle it with the 4 basic math operations. This includes 2 dimensions, but you probably won't get anything regarding angles, however it's not really necessary if it's a basic project.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.