2015-01-23 02:26:38

Hi all,
Below is my dream machine. I hope to build this one day. If I never manage to do so, I hope someone will and let me see it and use it.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3 2.6GHz 14-Core Processor  ($2589.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Antec KUHLER H2O 650 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($42.75 @ Directron)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($6.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($278.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data XPG Z1 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: A-Data XPG Z1 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi  6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($499.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($344.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($112.75 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)  ($104.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($429.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($189.62 @ Amazon)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9404PTL 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x4 Network Adapter  ($411.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($18.97 @ OutletPC)
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller  ($27.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $9234.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-22 19:24 EST-0500
Think I should add any more parts?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-01-23 03:45:25

Only 32 GB ram?  For this price tag, you might as well drop some of the hard drives and other stuff to save money and get a good 128 GB.  It looks like you need a server motherboard.
Also, there are some nice extension cards from Intel that go in your PCI slots and provide massive parallelism for researchers, you might as well throw that in.  I mean, since no individual would actually pay this much for a machine that will be outdone by a mid-end model in 5 years, what's another couple thousand dollars?
Also, you might as well throw some more graphics cards in, if there's a motherboard that supports it-graphics cards can outdo your CPU for the right kind of mathematical computing, namely vector and matrix operations as well as batch DSP processing.
I also see no SSDs.  If this is going to be a practical system by today's standards, you almost certainly want to run any CPU-intensive activity off them-the performance gain is worth dropping one of the large platters as you'd never actually even come close to using all that storage, anyway.
The truth is that, in this configuration, you end up with a box that is so ridiculously overpowered that you literally couldn't even tax it, ever.  With my suggested changes you have that plus the need to actually write code with the same technologies used in supercomputers to even use all of it.  Also, waiting about 6 months is going to hit the Intel tick-you'd buy then with the new Skylake stuff.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-01-23 04:00:41

The 8 hard drives are probably overkill. I wonder if you replaced 4 of those with SSD's and put them in a double raid 0 array for speed, or raid 1 for safety, would it not be a better use of the motherboard space? Don't forget the card reader!

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-01-23 09:26:26

hi,
don't forget the bluetooth!
and blueray writer

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2015-01-23 12:05:58

Heck dude if I had the money I would build my own in home mane frame.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2015-01-23 15:28:30

Hello,
Wow with that many hard drives you would have almost infinite space, that'd be epic. Althoug when I first saw so many storage tb stuff it was pretty ridiculous. That's around 32 tb of space which would probably takes years to fill up.
I'm not technical enough to discuss processors and the like unfortunately.

2015-01-23 16:03:47

Hi,
Do you guys think I could build it, though? Perhaps when I am about 32 and have at least $30,000.00 or so? (I don't know how much money I'll have then, but I hope to be able to build this, so yeah.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-01-23 16:46:40

Hello,
I think you'll be able to build something way more powerful by that time.

2015-01-23 18:08:58

Probably if you had that much money to burn on building a computer, there are better things you could spend the money on.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-01-23 20:49:26

O, you could.
But it would be such a waste of money that I can't even put an adjective on it.  By the time you're 30, this dream machine will be your cell phone.  if I went out and did this right now (I could, actually), I'd be throwing it out for an upgrade in 2-4 years because the core components would be obsolete to the point where, even though I tacked all that other stuff on, the computer just sucks beyond description compared to the money I paid for it.
I would only ever consider this, money or not, if and only if we ever reach a time when computer growth is worse than linear.  This is not likely to happen soon, even if moore's law stops holding true.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-01-23 21:23:11

I'd definitely go with an SSD for the operating system at least, and a pair of 6TB spinning drives would still be overkill for most uses but would at least give you redundancy or extra speed depending on if you used raid 0 or 1.

A zeon processor is impressive, though if you ever intended to build it I'd scale back to a high end I7. My 3770 is more than enough for everything I do and the potential for overclocking is there if you get the unlocked version.

For cooling if you get a case with double 12cm fam slots I'd definitely suggest the Corsair H100 hydro or any updated model they might bring out, you'll need twice as many fans as you might think for it to get the most out of it though since you can put two fans on either side to push and pull the air through. It's a 240 by 120mm radiator that fits in, as I alluded to, a pair of 12cm fan slots next to each other. As for fans, I favour Akasa Viper fans which get 85cfm and still run on PWM, or maybe the Akasa Apache which are a little slower but quieter and have dust resistance. 55cm still isn't bad though, and the arctic silver is your best bet.

For case again make sure you have the double 12cm fan slots, and ideally if you can get it have a seperated PSU compartment. As an example the Coolermaster HAF Stacker series are designed for high air flow, thus H A F, have masses of fan positions, and is made up modularly of cases which stack on top of each other. People use the ATX case for the motherboard, the mini ITX case with front mounted power supply for their PSU and possibly hard drives, and a mini ITX case with rear mount for a PSU on top but without a PSU for either water cooling radiators or multiple high end graphics cards. This seriously helps by seperating the major heat sources.

Power supply should be fine though I myself like the Corsair GS850, I've got one myself and on my I7 the fan actually never runs because it doesn't need to. It not only adjusts its fan speed depending on load but turns it off when it isn't needed, it also has extra long cabling to help reach the far ends of your case and the cabling has sheathing over them to stop them being harmed if they end up rubbing against something. Any of the high end Corsair PSUs would be excellent.

Most motherboards include built in ethernet so I'd save the expensive network card. I'll also say that most of the time you're either using ethernet or wifi depending on where you place it, any good quality 802.11AC card should do fine.

Not sure the fan controller is needed unless you really want a knob on the front to turn the fans up and down. If you want temperature sensors you might consider using Arctic F12TC temperature controlled fans instead, they include a temperature probe on the end of a wire which controls the fan directly, though I'd avoid the pro version which has weird mounting things and I'd probably avoid it for your CPU radiator.

As for other odds and ends, my experiences with a Soundblaster Recon 3D combined with Roccat Cave 5.1 headphones have been good so that's definitely a good choice of sound card you have there. I'd agree you might as well swap the DVD writer for a Blu Ray drive, either a DVD/CD-rw and BD-rom or a BD/DVD/CD-RW. Bluetooth and card readers depend very much on what you need from the system , they'll either be must haves or not matter in the slightest but if you do use memory card readers I'd definitely consider a 3.5 bay card reader. If you don't already own one a mechanical keyboard using Cherry MX switches is also nice, for a good tactile response go with the Cherry MX brown for quietness or blue for audible response as well as tactile feedback. The colours are the names of the switch models, you can find them in most good mechanical keyboards and have no impact on the keyboard's external colouring.

Hope you don't mind the critique smile

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2015-01-24 17:21:17

I have Noctua NF-f12s on my corsair h100I. They are a good balanced radiator fan. Much... much quieter than the SP120s that come with the cooler. You drop a little in cooling performance, but more than make up for it in regards to noise. mines still cool fine and I don't have a push pull set up going.  I can also vouch for silverstone AirPenetraters as general case fans. I've  got the 180 mm flavor of this fan mounted on the front intake of my case blowing back over the motherboard and graphics card and it's keeping everything nice and cool.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2015-01-25 01:28:11 (edited by cx2 2015-01-25 01:29:58)

180mm? Seriously? Holy crap.

I have a general policy of never using fans included with a product, I always get my own because cooling isn't something I want to take lightly. I had a computer burn out on me once way back when because I relied on the fans included with my case, never again.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2015-01-27 17:23:22

Hmmm. You guys do bring up a lot of good suggestions.
OK, I won't build it; but I'll keep this topic. I'm learning a lot from you guys.

My Github