2015-01-22 23:40:55

Hello.

So, I've done this with Android, and now I'm doing this. What do you guys think of me getting a Windows Phone 8.1 device? I mainly want to get one to try out narrator and Cortana. Do you guys think it would be OK if I went and got a locked ATT Nokia Lumia 635 off of Amazon for about $54? I'm not going to use this as a phone because I already have my iPhone 5s. I just want a Windows Phone device that supports narrator and Cortana. So, is this phone a good idea? I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, since I think the $229 for my Nexus 7 was a little too much.
Aside from that, what do you all think of Windows Phone 8.1 accessibility and Cortana? I have to admit I'm excited to try this out. I know I've complained about Windows on here before, but I'm hoping this will be different and hopefully better.
I've heard podcasts about narrator in Windows phone and it seems to be somewhat usable.

Also, will this device receive free software updates? just like Android, i want to keep track of what is happening with Windows Phone development to see if anything with accessibility improves.

So, that's all from me.

Comments are welcome.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2015-01-23 08:14:36

Hi, Chris.
I intend to buy a Windows Phone but first we have to wait to see what the merger of windows 10 will give us about accessibility.
if windows 10 gives us a great improvement in accessibility, with narrator, that is the reason why I will buy the windows phone.
if not happens, I give up the purchase.
one of the good things for us blind windows 10 is now the same system
serves for PC and mobile phones.
that in the great advantages.
  I am curious to know to what extent the NVDA and jaws can operate very well in Windows Phone or if that doesn't it will be a sure...
until then only with the official version of the windows 10, we can know that.
cheers.

2015-01-23 08:24:03

Hi, Chris.
you said:
I've heard podcasts about narrator in Windows phone and it seems to be somewhat 
usable.
Chris where did you find this source with the podcasts that you talk about.
please can you send me the address or a link that will take me to them?
thanks.

2015-01-23 14:26:36 (edited by Chris 2015-01-23 14:35:50)

Hi.

Here are the podcasts.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/coolblindtech … g_for_.mp3

http://traffic.libsyn.com/coolblindtech … nected.mp3

So, what do you all think? I'm tempted to go ahead and buy the locked phone because I'm not planning to use it as a phone and I want to try this out.

2015-01-23 14:48:34 (edited by afrim 2015-01-23 14:49:47)

I am not really sure weather you should get one or not. This is mostly because I've not tried any windows mobile phone, nor windows 8.1 in my PC. It's also a lack of information. There is not even any demonstration of windows mobile 8.1 accessibility on youtube or anywhere else.

2015-01-23 18:54:34

Hi, Chris.
thanks for the links.
I hope MS bring us good news on Windows 10 for the narrator.
cheers.

2015-01-23 20:04:48

Interesting question. I've been wanting to try Nuance Talks on some of the Symbian phones, but I am at a loss as to what kind of phone I should try, and what would happen if I got them on-liner instead of a a company where they would have to activate it first.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-01-23 20:14:13

Greetings!

If you are going to grab a sybian device, probably better to purchase Mobile Speak instead, especially since its only $24.99 in the oVI store.
Talks, as many know, is no longer supported.

2015-01-23 22:57:15

Hi.

I'm not too sure about the old Windows Mobile devices. I don't really want one because I would have to manually install a screen reader.

As for Windows Phone 8.1, the more I think about it, the more I want to get one to experiment with. I have one question though. If I get this locked phone off amazon, can I still set it up and use it without a sim card? Like I said, I don't really care about the phone features, I just want to try outthe OS, narrator, and Cortana.
Also, is it true that you can't use narrator to set up the device? That's what I heard in that podcast. That's really stupid actually if it's true.
Since this is on the same topic, can you use Cortana to turn on and off narrator? If so, that would be cool.

2015-01-24 13:30:56

I never heard of OO or Cortana. who makes them? I heard of Mobile Speak but I never understood how that worked.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-01-24 15:35:58

Incoming, iPhone user...

I get excited every time I hear about accessibility improving with Windows phones.  I am reluctant to get one since third-party companies can modify the operating system of the phone.

I also wasn't sure if this rumor was true, being able to put Jaws on to a smartphone.

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2015-01-24 18:38:33

I watched the first podcast, and I am glad that accessibility is improved on windows mobile 8.1, but I'm still confused. For at least 5 minutes, if any of my friends had a nokia lumia device, or any other phone running windows OS, I would try it for sure and give you my impressions, but unfortunately; they all use samsung or iPhone.

2015-01-24 19:52:53 (edited by Chris 2015-01-24 19:54:46)

Hi.

For the person who said that the phone companies can modify the firmware, I don't think that is true of Windows Phone 8.1 because it is a Microsoft operating system. I believe the only mobile operating system that can be modified freely is Android.

Cortana is Microsoft's personal assistant, kind of like siri. However, i think it blows siri out of the water because it appears to have real human recorded responses which have expressivity. I'm trying it on Windows 10 technical preview, but it's very glitchy.

I'm still debating whether to go ahead and buy the Lumia 635, but I think I may just for testing purposes like I did with Android.

As for third party screen readers on Windows Mobile, I don't think that is possible. The only one that may work is Mobile Speak, although I heard that Mobile Speak only worked on Windows Mobile 5 and 6. I could be wrong though.

2015-01-25 04:30:34

I think it is important to fuilt in screen readers such as Apple's devices because I think mobile devices are restricted using other ways.
so I consider it is first to set a basic environment to use our own hands.

2015-01-27 03:25:45

Chris, I think you're right.  I'm so far gone from the Windows/Android phone world.

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2015-02-08 09:55:42 (edited by Chris 2015-02-08 09:58:57)

Hi.

So, I have the WIndows Phone and am finding it's not that bad. Sure, it needs a lot more work since a lot of the apps aren't very accessible, but I love using Cortana, e-mail, and internet explorer. While this may not seem like a lot of stuff to use, I think if Microsoft continues to enhance narrator this could become another option.
Anyway, I have two bluetooth questions.

Firstly, why can't I connect my logitech k760 to the phone? WHen I go to pair it, narrator reads out a pairing code to enter on the keyboard, but when I enter the code on the keyboard and press enter, nothing happens. THe dialogue that has the bluetooth pairing code has an OK button, but pressing that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?
Secondly, when I pair a bluetooth headset or speaker, the audio is in that crappy 8k telephone quality and the bluetooth connection seems to be very unstable. When I say unstable, I mean it seems to constantly disconnect and connect, making it hard to use narrator. When it works, narrator and all other audio sounds 8k.
Any advice on this?

Also, it looks like I can't update my OS. I'm positive i'm not running the latest version of WP 8.1, because I don't have the option to turn off narrator hints or use touch typing. I think it's because I bought a locked AT&T phone. DOes this mean I made a huge mistake and won't be able to get more updates that hopefully contain accessibility improvements? If so, is there a way I can get newer software through some method like is possible with custom roms in Android?