2007-08-16 16:25:15

I don't know of a file sharing service that's accessible but I think I have a sollution. Post the files somewhere and simply put a link directly to the download in this forum.

2007-08-18 16:09:25

I know there would be an element of trust involved in this, but if it came to this I would be more than happy to use some of my own web space I got from my ISP to host the file. Then again the snapshot may very well occur first, but my offer stands.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-08-21 01:01:26

We'll have to wait for an semi-official snapshot release, which should be soonish, but may take a week or so.

2007-08-21 02:12:22

I know I've said this a lot, but again thankyou for your efforts. I look forward to it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-08-21 12:34:36

At risk of sounding like Cx2's shaddow, i both agree and second that, especially given the lack of anything similar available in either text or audio at the moment.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-03 20:03:13

Well that took a little longer than expected, sorry about that.Some bugs I thought easy to fix have turned out not to be. The development release should be testable, but there will be a lot of junk messages in the interface.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile … p_id=47079

There is a clientsettings.xml file in the mmconf folder, you might need to run the game once to make it appear. You should replace it with this file:
http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/cattyne … ttings.xml

which will cause it to use the swing GUI and print a lot of extra information to the chat window. Some of the information is wrong however, so I definitely recommend small games against a sighted person only. Also the swing GUI is extremely buggy, I found minimizing and restoring it a few seconds later often fixed the problem but not always. Still all the swing components should be readable unlike the AWT components many of whom cannot be read by a screen-reader.

the client commands start with a #, #help will list them all. Server commands start with a /, /help will list them all. There is some overlap between the two, the client command is generally better.

2007-09-04 10:16:14 (edited by cx2 2007-09-04 10:33:21)

Thankyou, I'll try to persuade someone to give it a go against me as well as just having a general poke around.

Edit:
For some reason this happened -
Started the new version up, it worked as I recall in the menu but I quit to swap out the config file to the one you recommended. Then the next time I started it up I simply heard "Welcome to Megamek <version>" and can't get more out of it than that. Sorry to have to say this, it just seems odd.

cx2
-----

2007-09-04 10:41:34

That is odd.

The welcome to megamek notification is at the top of the menu, and the buttons are underneath that. Swing is supposed to be easier for screen readers to handle so this shouldn't be happening if the AWT interface works.

Well thanks, you have pointed out a pretty fundamental problem. I'll look into it as time permits.

2007-09-04 10:49:17

Well the welcome to megamek <version> thing also appears on top of the dialogue box that asks if you want to read the readme. That still shouldn't cause this kind of trouble though.

Is there any open source screen reader out there so I can try to debug this on my own?

2007-09-04 12:59:08 (edited by cx2 2007-09-04 12:59:42)

www.nvda-project.org though I'm not sure how well it supports Java.

You can also get a time limited demo (minutes per boot not days after install) from www.freedomscientific.com for Jaws, the reader I'm using.

cx2
-----

2007-09-04 14:29:27

You can get a similar 30 minute demo of Hal, the screen reader I use from http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-04 14:42:07

Odd, I tried it with the standard gui and the game seems to stop accepting commands after I try a #move command other than select such as walk, or the first time I accidentally entered #move followed by coordinates without the walk parameter. It won't even accept chat messages after this. Not sure what is going on.

I thank you for your efforts thus far and hope the problems aren't too major.

cx2
-----

2007-09-04 22:20:32

Odd, I tried it with the standard gui and the game seems to stop accepting commands after I try a #move command other than select such as walk, or the first time I accidentally entered #move followed by coordinates without the walk parameter. It won't even accept chat messages after this. Not sure what is going on.

The input box for chat sometimes won't accept input anymore. I think I know what's causing it, but I still have to find the exact trouble spots. I'm not the only one working on fixing that but so far no-one has pinned down where the bug occurs.

Minimizing the screen and restoring it a few seconds later will occasionally fix the bug but not always.

These problems are caused by race conditions in the code which are notoriously hard to debug, and which appear intermittently. Some people get it all the time some people never.

Thanks for the screen readers, It should speed up development quite a bit once I have time again. considering school and work just started again it might be a bit though.

2007-09-05 09:58:18

Well we appreciate the work you put in, thankyou. I know I'll be ready to help in any way I can, but I know real life has to come first.

cx2
-----

2007-09-08 19:18:40

Is this game only an online game or is/will it be playable against the computer ofline, too?

2007-09-09 06:38:35

It includes the ability to play against a computer opponent even as it is. It isn't exactly an "online" game since you need to download the game, which runs on your computer so it is really an offline game with a multiplayer option.

Think like Audio Quake in terms of the online/offline thing, though play is nothing like that game obviously.

cx2
-----

2007-09-09 13:39:18

that sounds cool. Has it sounds, music and/or speech, too?

2007-09-09 16:22:42

It's a conversion of a fairly complex board game so there is little to no sounds, and the screen reader support is still work in progress as it would appear. However in time perhaps more sounds could be added, not sure where they plan to go with this.

If you ever heard of Battletech, or Mechwarrior, this game is based on the Battletech board game which was the original source of these.

cx2
-----

2007-09-11 13:04:26 (edited by dark empathy 2007-09-11 18:52:01)

Hay Cx2, as I've got a free afternoon, ----- sinse I finished my Potter reread yesterday and am too lazy to start with the thesis of doom today, I'dlike to give megamec a try. appologies this is so late, but life, (andHarry potter), very much got in the way, and I could tell from the wiki and such that it'll take a litle brain work to play this game.

I've downloaded megamech V032 from sorceforge, but I get a 4004 error when I try and download the swing gui config file from the angelfire link. Has it been taken down?

If you've got a copy of the file Cx2, perhaps you could E-mail it to me and I can finally try this thing out.

Once again appologies for picking up on this so late.

2007-09-11 15:06:42

Sent, interested to hear how Hal does with it.

cx2
-----

2007-09-11 16:23:48 (edited by dark empathy 2007-09-11 19:00:11)

well, initial thoughts agree with you Cx2. In fact with the alternate version of the client settings file, Hal wasn't even focusing properly on the Mega mech window and reading the desktop and other things through it (though obviously the welcome to Mega Mech thing stil came through). The only time I've usually seen this happen is with something heavily graphical, such as a non-audio game or a Dvd.

the default settings worked better, and infact were fairly easy to get around with the Virtual focus and usual read menues commands, ------ perhaps you might considder adding some alt Commands such as Alt F for file to get into the menues.

all the buttons such as "start game" and the options menues are absolutely fine as well.

I'll have a quick read through the Readme Txt to get some commands, and just see if the chat window and input messages come out okay in a game against the computer, ----- even if the messages are of the type "your Mech falls down a great big hole because it's commanding officer has no idea where he's going" Lol!

Seriously Catty, Thanks for your continuing efforts, it's most deffinately appreciated, more complex accessible games are deffinately most welcome, especially sinse about the most complex boardgame that's been made playable in Braille is chess or monopoly.

2007-09-11 17:46:44 (edited by dark empathy 2007-09-11 18:25:35)

well, just a couple of extra thoughts having given things a bit more of a whack.

firstly, I wondered if Hal's virtual focus would recognize the hexes, so that I could vaguely try out movement, even if it wouldn't read them.

apparently not unfortunately, the only movement related stuff I can get to with hal are the various scroll arrows for the map, so extra commands in this line are deffinately a good idea.

then, hal seemed to have an issue with the mech display window. the 2nd game I started, the computer (aka Trainee B), went first, and Hal seemed to get stuck in a window where the only readable thing was "Wasp V128" or something of the sort, which seemed to be the model of Mech I was using (as it said in the readme file for the training scenarios).

However, I couldn't get Hal out of this window for some reason, ---- I'm afraid the only reason i knew an extra window was open was because I could see a blue rectangular thingy on the green map). I closed that with alt F4, but then, when trying to look at it again with the "mech status" command in the view menue, couldn't get Hal back into it.

I'm mildly confused about why this is happening, sinse Hal read all the other popups (like the name dialogue and readme dialogues), fairly well by using the virtual focus. This also goes for the "lode unit?" pop up.

to explain, the virtual focus is an imaginary curser you can wander around the screen with, which will recognize buttons etc, and often tab betwene objects. It's also great for reading random text that doesn't appear nere the curser, ----- I've always found it handy in playing interactive fiction.

the vf seemed to work okay with the chat line, and recognized it as an edit area, but on a couple of occasions when I tried to type in there, the program closed for some reason, ----- is there a "quit" graphic somewhere around there?

appologies for the complaints here, I'm just trying to give as complete feedback as poss).

Oh, and for the record I'm using hal version 6.53, but will be installing Version 7 very soon.

2007-09-11 18:46:03

Most interesting. As Catty said I noted an issue on my system where the chat box simply stopped responding, and this would happen incessantly on here sadly.

That is probably the 'mech model yes, though it sounds an odd one. I seem to recall Wasp models usually start with WSP, it must be a special design for the training or something not sure. I always did like the way Battletech had multiple models of mech though, portrayed as technicians from different factions tweaking the 'mechs in different ways more often than not. Some 'mechs were primarily used by a given faction aside from a few captured examples that other factions use, but a good number of designs have been adjusted various ways over the game's history. Some of these variants are just attempts to make a 'mech more effective or fulfill a different function too, it is nice how both exist.

cx2
-----

2007-09-11 20:01:58

Well given the huge diversity of factions there seems to be in the batletech universe, it's not too surprising that there's a huge variety of meks and other units to choose from, ---- as well as hundreds of battles and locations to play with.

In fact as you thought Cx2, the history certainly appeals to me, though it's quite a lot to take in at one go.

Is it possible to gain any information about the various game rules and mekanics of mega Mek? and the various strengths and weaknesses of the units?

Finding the classic Batletech site, it appears you can buyrulebooks from them, but there's not a lot online, ---- and anyway I'm not sure how much those rules and such would apply to megamek.

I hope this isn't a similar situation to D&d, where the game makers actively repress reasonable explantion of the game rules over the net so that they can sell more books, ------ luckily I know the 2nd Edition rules relatively well, and the gang I play Ad&D with are quite reasonable about explaning extra stuff, ----- they were actually quite impressed with Gma dice.

Anyway, more info about the meks, and the mechanics would be nice, and also mean that when Megamek is up and running, I'll be able to get to grips with the game as soon as I've got my head around the interface.

2007-09-12 06:08:26 (edited by cx2 2007-09-12 06:11:05)

Megamek as I understand it is a straight conversion, and there are free basic rules available at
www.classicbattletech.com/leap
There was last time I checked both a quick start rules with very cut down rules, and a basic rulebook. Megamek I believe goes a step further using the rules from the old master rules revised rulebook and other sources, though they may adapt it to the new Total Warfare rulebook. I gather the rules for Battletech haven't changed in its about 20 years existence that much so there isn't a huge difference between the master rules revised and total warfare, it is just that total warfare tidied up loose ends and put everything in the same book. Everything they consider "tournament legal" as they put it, which seems to be the standard rules level. The basic rules are at a more simple level, and don't include messing around with fancy technology that starts appearing later on. Some of the new equipment are simple enough to use such as extended range lasers and double heat sinks, others get a little more complex such as C3 gear to link the firing computers of mechs together and ECM.

Edit:
They seem to have pulled down the basic rules from that page when they updated the quick start rules for Total Warfare. Makes sense since they're also releasing a new boxed set, apparently the previous basic boxed set was out of production for a while so they just stuck the rulebook from it up on the web site. I'll have to see if I still have it on my hard drive, I think I do.

cx2
-----