2015-01-19 10:01:10

Hello everyone,
While browsing one of my favorite browser sites, I recently came upon this gem of a game, Roboid.
While this game has features you'd expect in a browser game, PVP with robots, it also has an overarching story which you'll have to progress through in order to unlock activities. I'm not sure how long it is right now, but I like the attention to detail already with it. In addition to the main story, accessed via the story log, there is a "media" section which details background information that's connected to the story but is optional reading. This could be news on the Roboid terni's AKA the PVP part of the game but it's regulated so I don't think you'll be attacked every 15 minutes,
blogs related to the current chapter--I read one about someone becoming emploied at Roboid. Inc, and there's also a documents section, which I have yet to look at since it's late.
Overall, I'm liking this already and I hope that as promised they continue to add to the story.
The only gripe I have so far as that the signup has a Captcha but no audio captcha, unfortunately.
I used Rumola but I'm sure Webvisum will work.
I think those of you who like browser games should give it a chance. More importantly, unlike other games that don't provide reasons for PVP, this game's story provides a perfect one--Roboid, Inc. Is a corperation where it's members can buy robots to fight in sport. Since this is a tourni system, it seems that it's fair to new players. The game won't match you with someone that doesn't have an amature Roboid, which you get at the beginning. So the better class of Roboid you have, the better, more experienced players you'll be matched up against. I'll test this out in theory when I play it. I hope for the sake of me being a new player that this is true.

Read up and create an account at:
http://www.roboid.com

2015-01-19 18:47:19 (edited by silverkey 2015-01-19 20:56:46)

Greetings! I'm the developer of the game, Roboid. User, Orin, messaged me in-game and mentioned this forum and brought to my attention that Roboid is a good fit for screen readers - being a text-based game.

I would love to improve upon this. So to start, I've added a note to the registration page that players using screen-readers can work around the visual captcha by sending us their registration info via the contact form. I'll enter the registration manually (you'll get an activation email and can change your password later). I'll investigate true audio-captchas when I get a chance.

I also opened a forum topic in the game under Suggestions to keep track of any other issues that pop-up for screen-readers... and I'll be keeping this in mind going forward as I develop new features.

Oh and the PVP aspect is always by choice, you won't log in hours later to find that your player character got attacked while you were gone. smile

Thanks for the suggestions Orin, and I look forward to improving Roboid's accessibility! And thanks everyone for giving us a shot. Please let me know either by the game's forum or by in-game message if you find other show-stopping screen-reader issues. I am player Elsereth in the game. Cheers!

Developer of the sci-fi browser text RPG Roboid Incorporated! Free and mobile friendly.

http://roboid.com/

2015-01-19 20:08:07

@Silverkey hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm a huge browser game fan, and indeed learnt a lot of net navigation with a screen reader playing browser games, I've always wanted to see a robot game with a good story.

My only reservation when reading Orin's post was the capture, and I was already planning my "Please could you consider creating accounts for Vi players" question, ---- and then I find you've taken the initiative already which is fantastic! (I wish all developers were as good about accessibility).

I  have completed your contact form and really look forward to trying the game out.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-01-19 20:19:12

hi all i am saying! awesome! just awesome! keep! up! the! good! work! thumps up to you silverkey!

2015-01-19 20:58:41

Dark wrote:

I  have completed your contact form and really look forward to trying the game out.

Created your account! Thanks for trying the game! I welcome any feedback.

Developer of the sci-fi browser text RPG Roboid Incorporated! Free and mobile friendly.

2015-01-19 22:41:13

Hi.

Well I have made a start on the game, (look me up as darkempathy).. I am very much liking the story, atmosphere and world, particularly the extra information and the story goals.

In access terms I've not run into any major issues thus far sinse even where graphics are employed the game has standard controls that any screen reader should navigate fine, and I do rather like the notifications in text of events in progress" page layout is also nice and logical and easily navicable with reference to standard web control features like headings, the + and * in the menus are also a good help to let you know what menus you have open once I realized what they ment.

I would suggest perhaps writing in the instructions and the new player information that the link with the question mark, ie ? is the one that leads to the in game help, sinse many screen reader users do not have their voices set to read punctuation specifically when using them in a standard way, but it's more than easy enough to read a question mark when needed.

I do need to check the layout and status of the calibration menu, sinse though the controls gave access to the info I need to check I got the meaning of what stats were being mentioned, I also wonder about the "stats in red" mentioned for items you couldn't currently use in the help, but I've not got that far along yet. I particularly look forward to starting on scavenging sinse I'm generaly an exploring sort of chap.

My only real miner niggle isn't actually related to access, but to the game's descriptions of combat.

as I said I love the atmosphere with the media, news etc as well as the stories, it's therefore rather sad to get a combat that reads just like a set of stats, ie, so and so attacks so and so for x damage.

It'd be great if the text here was a bit more atmospheric, ---- though if this was just the practice droids and tournaments get their own distinct description style (say a sports news caster), fare enough and I'll be glad to see later on.

Definitely nice to see a robot game with personality (no pun not intended).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-01-19 23:03:59

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been spending the afternoon checking and adding alt text to some of the important game elements. Including that wrench in the calibrations page which you mentioned.

If I add alt text to the help link will your reader pick that up? Since you mention that the lone question mark isn't easy to notice..

I agree that the fight play-by-play needs more flavour. That's one of the things on my future enhancements list.

I appreciate the feedback. I'll be paying closer attention to the game's accessibility, and hopefully the extra alt text added today will also help.

2015-01-19 23:11:21

Note, I won't always catch messages in this forum so please add any future issues into the in-game forum (I created a thread for screen reader issues here: http://roboid.com/forum/topic/31/1).

Cheers!

2015-01-20 11:55:55

Thanks for the fixes, it does seem to make a difference to both the calibrations and the help screen, I'm also glad more colourful descriptions  are on the cards.

I will confess I was a little disappointed when the combat turned out to be automatic rather than actually turn based, but if it is! to be automatic, making it feel like  actually  witnessing two robots  knock the bolts out of each other rather than read the output of a couple of random dice rolls would make things considerably more fun. I confess this is an issue I've had with several  combat based games in the past such as Alien adoption agency, which is very much why I was so interested in the story aspects.

2015-01-20 17:19:12

I agree that a turn by turn combat would be awesome. However for a browser game which is not using Java or Flash or some other plugin, this is very hard to do. You would need to ensure that each player is online (and not idle) at the same time, that they don't wander away from their browser, and then have each player's browser constantly poll the server to find out what the other player did and if it's your turn or you're still waiting.

It's possible, just very heavy server load and a monster programming task. As a solo developer at this time, it's more time and effort than I'd want to spend. Especially since my vision of the game is to have so much more than just combat. I want the combat itself to only be about 5% of what there is available to do in the game.

If I'm ever so fortunate to earn any income from the game, I might be able to hire a second programmer who could help with jazzy feature improvements like that! smile

2015-01-20 17:32:05

Hi,

@silverkey
Depending on what languages your back-end is written in, I may be able to lend a hand. Let me know smile

Balliol

2015-01-20 18:33:56

Actually, having combat as part of a larger game sounds a nice plan, sinse too often in games with auto combat your left finding that auto combat is all there is, plus as I said I'm a big fan of exploring.

Flash and occasionally java have sometimes been dodgy from an access perspective as regards real time updates, but I have seen it done in the game puppet nightmares, (which actually has an awsome combat system though I did wish it had more by way of descriptive text).

If you fight an online battle against someone else you can choose a time limit for each turn as short as one minute or as long as seven, (I usually prefer a long limit myself to give me time to read my opponent's actions and assign actions for the three creatures in my party sinse puppet nightmares involves fights between teams of three puppets each).

The two players each submit a turn, and after both have submitted the page refreshes you get the results for the round with the actions of everyone's creatures.

There's nothing that special in terms of flashy controls, just a timer, and if a player times out before submiting their actions, the other player wins the fight.
I don't know how complex the backend of this is, indeed given how complex the combat in puppet nightmares is there is possibly something heavy duty happening, but in terms of basic system and interface it works fine and isn't all that different from fighting a battle against computer opponents other than perhaps waiting for the other player to complete their turn.

I'm not saying roboid should have this sort of system, just that it's not always necessary to go all realtime and flashy for controls when timers and calculating submitted info would work.

Getting back to the game as is however, I do have one slightly more practical question.

Combat seems pretty random, whether I win or lose fights seems heavily dependent upon what stance I choose and what my opponent uses, but sinse there is no way of knowing before hand (well not in the matches for competitions or the practice droid fights), I'm not sure how to make a tactical choice, indeed I tend to win or lose roughly half of the time despite having calibrated my robot, done several practices and bought a weapon.

I also unfortunately keep playing matches against the same robot in the competition, but I suspect this is more due to the lack of lower rank players at the moment, (perhaps until the player base fills up there could be some computer generated opponents just to keep the variety?).

2015-01-21 18:13:06

Hm. Good point. I'm constantly evolving my view of where the combat mechanic will go.

The hit or miss results are dependant upon your bot's stats and a random virtual roll of the dice. In lower weight classes, your stats (which are low) have a minor effect on the 'weight' of the result versus your stats. So new players in lower classes will find some fluctuation in who wins although running multiple fights the person with better stats wins definitely more often.

As you rise in the ranks, the random roll plays a less and less significant part in the outcome of the match. So, it becomes harder and harder to beat opponents who beat you in stats.

When you enter the fight lobby, you are matched against a random player (or NPC if not enough players are online) who is within a range of your stats. As you level up your stats you'll get to the next NPC. There will petty much always be about 2 NPCs with whom your stats overlap. Typically one who will be much weaker than you and one much stronger.

You hit the nail on the head, that as the player base grows, you'll get matched against more real players. I put the NPCs in there to bridge the gap for players when there aren't enough real fighters online. In an ideal world I'd have a bunch of time to just sit one day and add several more NPCs to give more variety. It's quite time consumer to register an account then edit the stats, weapons etc in the database for an NPC account. I certainly plan to do so. I also need to set up the Heavyweight NPCs because I have a player or two ready to go to that level, and only one NPC in there currently. Ack.

2015-01-21 18:42:52

Youch, I can understand the problem with creating npc accounts, especially when your making miner changes on a dayly bsis (I definitely like the new hour long classified).

At the moment unfortunately I seem to lose to the npc (or maybe it's a pplayer), with better stats (or at least better hp), than me unless I am lucky enough to hit their weakness. This wouldn't be so bad accept I've ended up running into them rather too often meaning my competition losses are rather extensive when they really shouldn't be.

As far as combat goes I'm actually looking forward to seeing what other activities and locations are added to the game, sinse I do enjoy exploring different worlds and Roboid has a great setting I'd love to explore in more detail.

2015-01-21 22:12:20

I'm on the game as sneaky, I'm liking it so far, but progression is rather slow IMO. I'm at a point where I have to make 2000 dollars using only the classifieds, but I've already made over 3000 total from all the activities in the time I've been waiting, so I'm just wondering if it could be changed to be total money made, or some way to use credits or something to reduce the wait time.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2015-01-21 23:09:02 (edited by TBlaze 2015-01-21 23:11:34)

This is my first time ever playing this type of game, and I'm looking forward to the experience. thanks for the attention to accessibility.

A Candle Loses Nothing by Lighting Another Candle…
" GamerTag is. ItsTBlaze & Twitter @TBlaze97
"One Love"

2015-01-21 23:50:16

@Sneaky I'm at that bit too, but actually making money is relatively easy (I've got over 5 K), provided that you use your time, ie, if you know your going to be off the game for a bit, use one of the longer options, and while your playing, making repares etc, you can maximize your cash by doing the sell scrap classified job over and over.

At 2 minutes and ten dollars a pop, you could potentially make your two thousand dollars in a few hours, though as I said using down time is a good idea (I'm going to bed in a moment but will stick on the security guard job before I go so i get 500 when I play tomorrow).

2015-01-22 03:47:57

sneak wrote:

I'm on the game as sneaky, I'm liking it so far, but progression is rather slow IMO. I'm at a point where I have to make 2000 dollars using only the classifieds, but I've already made over 3000 total from all the activities in the time I've been waiting, so I'm just wondering if it could be changed to be total money made, or some way to use credits or something to reduce the wait time.

There are currently 9 missions total in Season 1. My ideal is for each season to require about 1-2 months to play through at a reasonable pace. The missions are long, yes, but that's intentional. It's a game for the long haul. I also need time to implement the features and story that will go into Season 2.

With the effort I spend on the written component, the missions are supposed to be long and satisfying when finally completed. smile

Eventually I'll have Side Quests which will be like mini-missions that players can do which are shorter and will bridge the time between longer missions and between seasons. But that's a ways down my to do list!

2015-01-22 10:41:59

Sidequests sound awsome! I definitely like the idea of that. As I said my issue with several previous auto combat games like Alien adoption agency is that the auto combat was really the main thing in the game, and once you'd explored  all of the various other activities there wasn't a lot left too discover.

2015-01-22 14:19:25

hi. I've begun playing the game and I really like it. my name in the game is mastodont.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2015-01-22 17:17:51

Awesome, thanks for playing!

(Your username cracked me up lol.)

2015-01-22 17:35:19

I'm going to add a text-based captcha to the registration form soon. I think I found one that will work well. smile

2015-01-22 17:54:49

@Silverkey, awsome! let me know when it is up and I'll go and have a look.

@Nin, you git! so you were the one who defeated my poor little roboid, that is not fare!

Of course if I'd won it would've been perfectly fare, but I lost so it wasn't, grrrr! :d.

Seriously,  it's nice to see more players especially in the competition.

2015-01-22 18:49:25

Hi, I've been playing this game as well, it's so so awesome, keep up the hard work, my username is, AmroMeero, smile

Hi, my Skype name is, anr1235, feel free to add me if you wish, i love to make new friends, and thanks.

2015-01-22 20:13:45

BAM!

Added a textual captcha to the registration form for VI players!
Cheers! Thanks for playing!
Please let me know if there's any trouble with it.