2015-01-06 12:22:00

hi,
I started a petition on change.org to erge microsoft to develop a fully functional, native screen reader for windows 10
if you want to support this, the petition link is
https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-add- … responsive

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2015-01-06 17:03:09

Hi enes.
thank you for this...
I will sign it.
let's see if this petition will be able to make the desired effect.
even if it is to update the narrator for the windows 10.
I  already researched a lot and I couldn't get news of the narrator in the windows 10.
I  went on the site of the blog of the development of windows 10 but I found nothing about the narrator.
I  also joined in the forum of the accessibility of the MS and I couldn't get answers to my questions...Thanks.
cheers.

2015-01-06 17:10:57

Hi,

As far as I'm aware, they are doing hard work on Narrator. With every windows version I've seen, it's gotten better and better. In fact, I would say that, while not a main sollution, Narrator is quite usable. It allows for browsing the web, use chat applications, check and reply to email, this also includes Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Firefox, Skype, etc. So I think this might be quite overkill.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2015-01-06 18:11:14

Hi dragon.
Which sources you have to say as far as I know, Microsoft is working hard for the narrator in the windows 10.
how do you know that?

can you explain this?
thanks.
cheers.

2015-01-06 18:12:55

Hello,
Have you tried Narrator on windows 8? It's not quite as good as NVDA but it's actually much more usable now. I also heard it said a while back that the windows ten version of Narrator might support scripting. I don't know the exact source behind this though.

2015-01-06 18:24:52

Enes, maybe the petition to make more sense in order to update the narrator in the windows 10.
makes no sense to add or create a screen reader because it already exists.
the narrator is very good, just need to be updated.
on windows 8.1 that didn't happen...
only in Windows 8, the narrator was updated.
would make more sense if the petition was intended to innovate the narrator for the windows 10.
but I think that Microsoft understands that the petition will be destined to the narrator.
cheers.

2015-01-06 18:38:04

The reason I say this is because I've tried the preview on Windows 10, and actually didn't feel the need to install NVDA until quite a while later. Narrator suited me fine for testing purposes. Yes, it could of course be miles better, but it's definitely getting there.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2015-01-06 18:45:22

Windows 10 narrator is rumored really heavily to have scripting, but the truth or lack thereof has yet to be seen.  I'm surprised it's working with Firefox and Thunderbird: do you know if they're supporting IA2, or is this because whatever is exposed through MSAA is good enough?

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-01-06 20:53:04

I know that the Windows 8 Narrator did not support iAccessible2, however I cannot tell with the one present in Windows 10 preview. However, firefox and Thunderbird do work to the point where I can read and reply to emails and browse the web...Of course, no quick navigation for headings, links and so on.

The main reason why I couldn't stand using it anymore is the simple fact that it seems to lag behind quite a bit. Compared to NVDA, Narrator still seems like a very slow reacting screen reader, especially with the default David voice.

It still lacks a lot of features though. No indentation reporting, no quick navigation in web elements, etc. It's quite stable though. And the fact you can toggle it with Win+Enter seems quite handy, especially since it seems to have higher priority, so it'll actually run when most things don't anymore.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2015-01-06 22:15:52

I'd like to echo Ghorthalon's comments. Narrator for Windows 10 isn't anything spectacular, but it is certainly functional. I have used the test preview with various apps including Firefox, Thunderbird, MS Office, and it works. It isn't anything like Jaws, Window-Eyes, or NVDA yet but if one needs a quick and functional screen reader Narrator will work as a backup or substitute. So I feel this petition is really overkill at this point as it seems Microsoft is working in that direction anyway.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-01-07 00:05:21

Hi dragon and tward.
what you speak that the narrator makes in the preview of windows 10, he actually does it in the windows 8.1 before the preview of windows 10.
nothing new here.
I use windows 8.1 and the narrator makes everything you talked in
  windows 8.1. People want to know is whether the narrator in the windows 10 preview has been updated or remains as it is in the windows 8.1.

thanks.
cheers.

2015-01-07 00:10:03

Hi.
I signed the petition not knowing that narator was being worked on like this. But hopefully this will be taken to microsoft, some hell, and then at least we can say we tried and who knows, maybe this push as "overkill" as it is, might improve something that the microsoft access team missed.
I feel that narator on windows eight point one is useful and useable and not at all a crappy screen reader like in xp or seven, can it be improved? Yes, am I looking forward to windows 10? Yes, wil I be checking out naraotr on there? yep. It's going to be awesome.

Any idea when windows ten will be coming out?

I'm gone for real :)

2015-01-07 12:25:30

Hi,
This petition is, as others said before, not quite appropriate, based on what Microsoft is doing at the moment.
Narrator is rumoured to have scripting support in Windows 10. They are actually in contact with blind people, that is why the enormous improvement to Windows 8's Narrator, touchscreen support, etc. While Narrator is not yet comparable to other dedicated screen readers, it is certainly improving with Windows builds.
Microsoft is certainly not going to implement a new screen reader. They are working on Narrator, with or without the petition. I really urge you to, if not cancel it, perhaps wait a bit until we see what's going to happen in later builds of Windows 10.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2015-01-07 17:28:28

Also, a small note on lag.  NVDA lags with the SAPI voices.  This may mean that it is the fault of the voices themselves.  Fortunately, you can at least instal Espeak.  If I had access I'd test out of curiosity, but I don't and can't, so...

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-01-08 23:23:27

How about making them create an installer that actually talks?
I mean installing Windows, not setting up your user account. THere is no reason they can't make a talking installer. I can't believe this. Apple has had a talking installer for 10 years, a shorter time than narrator has been around and yet the Windows installer doesn't talk and VoiceOver was miles better than narrator in 2005, heck even in 2007 with Leopard.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2015-01-09 01:07:32

Hello.

I don't see what you're getting at. I'm able to open a windows eight point one laptop and install windows fine. Everything works.

I'll admit Narator could do with a little fixing when it comes to the installing and clicking on the buttons, but everything worked fine for me. SO I don't understand what you're talking about.

2015-01-09 14:37:21

Hi.

I'm talking about installing a copy of Windows from scratch. If you're talking about opening a new Windows laptop and setting it up with narrator, that is not the same thing. That is narrator working on a copy of Windows that is already installed on the system. I'm talking about the part of setup where you would put your Windows DVD or such into the drive and go through the setup by choosing a drive to install WIndows and then waiting about 10 minutes. That part as far as I know doesn't talk. That is ridiculous in my mind because with OS X, I just have to load up the installer and I get VoiceOver which guides me through the OS X installer of choosing a drive to install on, etc. Again, this is not the same as getting a Mac and going through setup assistant or installing a new OS over the top. I'm talking about clean installing onto a computer. This is useful for instance if the hard drive fails or you did something really bad to your installation and need to reformat and install. Windows, as far as I know, does not let me do this because the installer doesn't talk. That is why I love oS X so much, I have far more independence.
Hopefully this explanation makes more sense.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2015-01-09 16:15:41

Hi.

Ah I see now. sorry about the last post. I totally understand where you're coming from. Isn't there a talking disk thing for windows out there somewhere?

2015-01-09 18:21:45

ok, someone created the same petition in microsoft's own website. here's the link if anyone wants to vote. https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/26 … ader-to-wi

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2015-01-09 18:24:32

bt, I have to agree with cris, one of the reasons why I voted for both the pititions. also, what does Narrator do when compared to something like VO?

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2015-01-09 18:31:58

As others have stated, this pitition is a bit overkill. Narrator in the last versions of windows, while it does lack behind, is quite useable and i've used it fine before, even didn't really depend on nvda for a day while using it. As gortholon said, it does however seem to lag quite a lot, but narrators barely new with its upgrades since windows 8 came out, what was it, 2 years or so, I can't remember. Also, O S X and windows are 2 completely different things. While it would be nice to have an installer that talks, we're not quite up to that point, and before we even start asking for that or for a better screen reader, I really think we should wait for windows 10. After all, windows 8.1 wasn't really a major release, so of course their wouldn't be that menny narrator improvements. After all, developing a screen reader is no simpple thing.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2015-01-10 11:46:20

agreed with post 15 as well.

2015-01-10 12:33:26

I hope Microsoft will take this suggestions.

2015-01-18 02:04:31

hello everyone!
I have two questions:
1: I'll probably install windows 10 on a vm. Can I install with the help of the narrator?
2: the narrator can browse with firefox using the arrow keys?

2015-01-18 18:07:55 (edited by queenslight 2015-01-18 18:11:17)

Perfect time for me to jump in here i think...

narrator was mainly designed, at least for the time being, to work with Microsoft products, including Microsoft Office Online. That being said, since scripting and Braille support is heading on over to it soon, we shall see!

In the mean time, here are currently all of the MS Narrator accessibility pages I can find:

1. Narrator Official Site:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … =windows-8

2. Narrator Office 2013 Support Pages:
    https://support.office.com/en-ie/articl … 5b64e8cfb2

3. Office Online Documentation Library:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/articl … a88e0e329e

4. New accessibility enhancements for Office Online (Entry from "Ofice Blogs):
    http://blogs.office.com/2015/01/09/new- … ce-online/

5. Microsoft Accessibility (Official Site):
    http://www.microsoft.com/enable/

6. Narrator On Windows Phone (8.1+):
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-t … n-my-phone

As a side note, "Cool Blind Tech," and "Main Menu," have both done some Windows narrator coverage as well.