2015-01-05 21:55:03

Prejudice is a bad thing. it is totally wrong to judge a person's worth based on their gender, sexual orientation, ratial origin, nationality, creed, skin colour or preference in game types, (not even for fps fans).

On the other hand it is a scientifically accurate fact that thin people are eviler than fat people, and seak only to spread horor and dispare across the world.
Look at the examples! Skeletor, Super models, celebrity dietitions, ---- oh and of course the Slender man!

Who is the slender man I hear you ask? well nobody knows sinse he's immune to most photography and recording equipment, but we know he's lean, and he's mean,  ---- though he is probably not mechanical.

To find out more about the Slender man (or not), check out This new first person horor game from Dragonaps entitled Slender, lost vision. Journey throughout a forest haunted by said deadly beanpole, avoiding him by the static he generates, collecting some pages of slender proof of his existance. Be careful however sinse very few people have faced the slender man and lived!

Discuss your findings in Yonder topic and provide more proof to the world of the inherent evilosity of people of the thin persuasion!

No, Baron Vladimir Harconan, Jaba the Hut and the stay puff marshmello man all had thin people struggling to get out of them!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-01-06 08:46:40

I'm a sighted person who is looking to have the games I make more accessible to the blind so I decided to check out this page after hearing about it on Roguelike Radio.

I just played this game and lasted all of 2 minutes before I was jumping out of my seat terrified.

Seriously this game is 10 times more terrifying without graphics.

2015-01-06 12:44:27

Hi karneisada
and welcome to the forum, we're always happy about discussing game access, what sort of games do you make?

One interesting thing about audio is that it can provide a good deal more atmosphere, especially in horror titles due to the lack of information and the fact that your left to imagine what something looks like.

this has been true right from Shades of doom, one of the most landmark audio titles an the first fps, right through to games like papa Sangre on the Iphone.
If you check the game database (find it on the dropdown or with the gamelist links at front of site), you will find a lot of games to consider.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-01-06 17:16:05

Hi,

I'm quite surprised, actually. For being such a small agme, I did change sounds around quite a number of times, trying to get myself scared again and again even though I've been playing it hundreds and hundreds of times for debugging purposes.
I always thought that this wouldn't hit as bad as the original slender game, mainly because of the scary graphics that were missing, since I think the main appeal of the scaryness of the Slenderman is the way he looks and suddenly just pops up right in your face. tongue

I'm glad you like the game! Actually, this encourages me. I'm thinking of lots of other different horror games of this sort - a game that seems to be immensely populra among sighted gamers is Five Nights at Freddy's, and I've already begun work on the overall design of an audio-only version of this game - this proves quite a lot more difficult than slender, however.

However, I'm glad this game is received well! I honestly thought people would get disorriented and confused, with most of the players dropping it because of it's difficulty - this doesn't seem to be the case. Makes me a happy dragon! tongue

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2015-01-06 18:11:13

Hello,
@karneisada: welcome to the forum! I am also interested to know what types of games you are/might be thinking of creating, and I'd be happy to help with beta testing when the time comes.

@ghorth: one thing I'm starting to notice is that a lot of us forumights want more mainstream like material, and it actually looks like based on this and Angelgift, that we might be ready for something with more complex gameplay if something like that hits the community. I think lots of folks will figure out complex maps and things together, this has made me very happy indeed.

2015-01-06 18:56:58

@Ghorth, nice game. I admit myself I wasn't sure about the Slenderman in audio for exactly the reason you said, that his presence is more based on his visual appeal rather than his concept or his mode of despatching his victims, at least from what I've gathered through looking at the wiki, but the complex llayer of static and other sounds you've got is a really nice representation of a mysterious character.

It makes me think an audiogame based on the Cthulhu mythos would be a really good idea, sinse the point of Lovecraft's creations was the general surreal horor that couldn't really be seen or conceived. I didn't find the mechanics problematic once I got the knack of how sounds work, indeed I disagree with Aaron that this is a complex game to understand, (though i didn't exactly get what the cumpus was for), it's basically deakout, ie run around a 2D area collecting objects while avoiding one baddy, not that that is a problem, it's the really rich atmosphere and the way that mechanics like Slenderman's movement are thought out that make the game work so well, just like Papa sangre is fundamentally an arcade avoidance game, but one with great atmosphere and acting.

2015-01-06 20:46:43

Actually, I have always thought of myself as a developer of trying to push the boundaries of what has been done as audiogames further forward.
I'm quite integrated with the sighted community of gaming, and always get so frekain' jealous of what they have, and why no one has tried to make something similar into an audiogame. That's what I want to do.
I want to help maybe set a new standard of games we could expect more of in the future, and if it works, then I'd be more than happy. We have millions of space invaders, we have tons and tons of side scrollers, but games where you're completely free in terms of movement, direction and others are something that still lacks. My agmes don't have the best of stories - not that I haven't thought of it, however I always find new things to try and do. Maybe that's why my games don't appeal to most beginning audiogamers, however I do hope that what I do will at least impact one developer in the future, especially upcoming ones.

By no means am I the only one. I've been greatly inspired by existing audio games and gotten tons and tons of help from Aprone and others - just mentioning him, since he's probably one of the ones that made the biggest impact, but the more we have, the better it gets.

What I'm trying to achieve is consistent virtual 3D sound. No matter what you play, usually that 3D effect can only be achieved if you have the right hardware, this includes mainstream games, too. So far, I have not found a way to do so, but I am experimenting with lots of different things and am willing to happily share my results, should I get anywhere.

We have things like Creative ALchemy which help this process a lot - it allows, for example, all the games that use 3D sound through DirectX to recreate the EAX effects we had back in the Windows XP days by converting the calls to run through OpenAL which is capable of creating that 3D effect almost on any sound card, but that still requires you to have ALchemy installed and move DLL files around in order to get it to work. And once we can surpass this obsticle, first person games could become especially interesting. I always was a fan of hearing everything from the perspective of the player.

Also quality audio. The last few games always had sounds directly used in other games before. I've been noticing this especially with Swamp and RTR. Now I do know that most of those sounds come from royalty free libraries, however when I can play games and always have to think of another game because the sound work is simply the same or copied in most ways, just as is the gameplay, it's not really helping the audiogames community move forward.

Don't get me wrong, I do know how hard it is to find good sounds and do sound work for some people, but we have many members in this community who would be eager to help with exactly this. With every game I created I've tried to keep the sound work and gameplay as creative as possible, so that if someone hears about another release, they won't simply pass it off, simply because it might be another clone of an already existing game. Which can be good, I mean, Slender is pretty much a clone of an already existing game, so is Road To Rage, yet they all have their own spin on things and unique sound work.

Reading back on what I just wrote, it sounds like entire self promotion. What I meant it to sound like was encouragement and motivation for other developers and gamers. Whoops...Could have worded it a little different if I knew how.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2015-01-10 04:04:33

Ghorth, I definitely agree with everything you brought up. and any way I can help out on future projects, I would love to. Helping design and test a game has always been a goal of mine, and I'd love to contribute. I will say though... about side scrollers, I don't necessarily agree on the fact that we have tons of them. A great quantity, sure, but many of them are just the same game with different premises... I think the side scroller genre has much left to explore which many audio games haven't covered yet. Bokurano Daibouken 3 set the bar for me in terms of 2d side scrolling action platformers, and I think many audio games haven't even come close to the amount of freedom and the size of the stages in that game. But of course, comparing that game iwth 3d freedom of movement as you were talking about is a little different. lol But I still think there are many things to be done with side scrollers. A true beat em up in the style of final fight hasn't even happened yet, and Bokurano Daibouken 3 has shown that a game of that style could very well be possible. haha.

Discord: clemchowder633