2018-04-22 03:44:16

I'm pretty sure none of that had happened, because I had gotten into a fight earlier before leaving the  window. Even if that had happened, they were far enough that they couldn't have gotten close to me before I came back.  Apparently it's a known issue, as others have had it happen too.

2018-04-22 04:37:34

Blindndangerous, PM or email me your character name and I can roll you back to the last backup (if you want).

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-04-22 05:13:51

Aprone, its great that your working on swamp again. I'll try to get the word out to as many people as I can, maybe even some sighted friends? I'm not sure many of my friends will actually check it out, but i won't give up hope, lol.
Is there a swamp subreddit? If not I may create one, been considering that for a while. Do you people think that would really be of any use to anyone though? I guess we could like make topics about mission fails or guides and things like that, might be interesting to have a subreddit. Who knows? Might get swamp some more players.
Aprone, I think i might have already done a name request, and I haven't been on in ages so this might have been changed already, but could you change my character name from robocop to BlindJedi if that hasn't been done already or if that can even be done at all? Thanks.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2018-04-22 07:29:00

Holy shit, this behemoth... lol.
Sounds really cool, it's completely destroyed me so far though. Has anyone actually beaten it yet?

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-04-22 10:09:19

Hey all. Approne, Would you be willing to roll my Character back? My computer kept getting stuck when I was trying to make my way from 1 map to another, as a result of the computer sticking, I died. Thanks so much in advance. I'm very glad to be playing again. I have another question. What if you could put up different time slots that people could purchase. Like 1 month for $2, 3 months for $6, 6 months for $12 and 12  months for $24.

2018-04-22 14:58:15

Yeah I'm a bit behind when it comes to the name changes.  I plan to sit down soon to do them, but when I do have free time I've been trying to use it to work on updates.

The behemoth, like most computer controlled enemies from games, can be more easily beaten once you've had some practice and figure out his weaknesses.  I won't give away too much, but if you have the balls to stand your ground next to a building, and wait for him to race full speed straight at you, you might be able to take advantage of his hard time stopping or making turns.  ROFL!

Sean, skype or email me your character name, plus the day your character died.  For the time slots, there actually is a 12 month option for $24, just nothing shorter.  One of the reasons people have to buy at least 6 months is to continue to benefit from a cheater free environment.  Cheaters don't like losing $24 when they get banned, so cheating isn't very fun in Swamp.  If someone could grab a single month for $2, it might be worth it to them to try cheating over and over.  $2 each time they get caught isn't nearly as financially painful as losing $24.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-04-22 16:37:52

It's all good Aprone, I've got most of what I had back. I did lose a ton of ammo, but I can work at getting it back. The other players gave me some extra equipment and armor to get me back on my feet. Thank you though.

2018-04-22 17:20:32

Hi Approne,  i’ve just sent you an email through this forum with my swamp character name and the day that I died. Thanks a lot.

2018-04-22 20:17:30

How are the graphics for swamp rendered anyway? I always figured it would be childsplay for computer hardware of any kind to render a 2d bunch of tiles that are different colours, but when you turn them on the speed hit was massive. I mean the last time I played it was probably twice as fast with the graphics off. Could the graphics perhaps be given some more love in the form of switching them over to rendering on a back end that will tap into our graphics cards? It'd be really nice to level the playing field here

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2018-04-22 21:07:21

Maybe I should create a new topic for this, but aprone, i'm curious how the zombie code works. Is each zombie type just a while loop? Or are there if statements as well. Could you put an example here maybe of how a zombie is coded? I'm curious how you do it.

2018-04-22 21:16:04

Does anyone else notice lag when switching character's? I notice it especially when sound buffering is higher.

2018-04-22 22:23:24

I'm having a weird problem with Swamp. I'm posting in hopes that someone else might have run across something similar and found a fix.

When I click on an option in Swamp's menu, it activates, but it doesn't actually do what it's supposed to do. For example, if I open the game and click on the exit option, it says "goodbye", but it doesn't actually exit the game. Interestingly, if I minimize the window, it will do the action that I last clicked on. If I want to go online, I click on multi-player, type in my password, and nothing happens. Once I minimize the window for a second and come back to it, it will be showing my character list.

I'm pretty sure it's something specific to this computer since it works fine on my other one, but I have no idea what could be causing it.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2018-04-23 07:40:30

@livrobo: Try to adjust your screen revolution to see if that solves the issue. I have seen the most weird behaviors in Swamp if the screen revolution is not set right.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-04-23 07:49:40

Wo, that actually worked. Thanks @SLJ.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2018-04-23 13:58:21

Exodus, they are just the most basic of windows API calls to draw to the screen.  The reason they're so terribly slow is the sheer number of error checks that are done.  Things like always checking to make sure a pixel at the coordinates exists within bounds before drawing to it, and so forth.  When tossing graphics together quickly, as crazy as it sounds it makes more sense to go slap happy with such checks.  Getting something wrong could/would easily crash the whole computer, and unless you're taking the time to do the graphics right, you don't want to sit back and hope it'll all work perfect.  As I start taking out checks, performance goes higher and higher.  Not the best description of how it works, but it might answer your question.

I'd be tempted to give the graphics a bit more effort.  I recently changed around a few things to improve their speed, and there is a lot more that could be done.

BlindJedi, I might need a more specific set of questions.  The zombies contain while loops and also many If Statements.  When you add up everything from finding a target to chase, movement, attacking, and producing sounds, the zombies are probably hundreds of IF statements.  smile

Nikos, it won't surprise me if the fast character switching is a little clunky.  It's sort of a hack on top of another hack, just to make it work.  I think I may have explained it already (not sure), but back when Swamp was free the game already had an account system.  The account system was a single character tied to a password, which is how many online games handle things.  When I switched over to the paid system, rather than redesign a lot of code, I just tweaked things to tie 5 old accounts together with a bit of additional info.  Those bundles of old accounts became what the new accounts are in the system.  Well to the system it is actually dealing with 5 completely separate accounts when people refer to their 5 characters, which is a reason why you had to actually log out and back in to switch characters.  To the server, it was never truly 5 characters all under the same account.  The latest quick character feature triggers the server to log you out, then use the login details you used to first sign in to log you in a second time, then it overwrites some data to make it look like your machine did it all instead of the server itself.  A bit messy, but the end result is much more convenient for players than needing to log out and back in.

Glad to hear SLJ had a solution to that problem.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-04-23 18:25:48

when a zombie spawns in the game, is it just wandering aimlessly or does it start searching for targets right away? Do you have a variable for the player distance? So like if playerDistance = greater than 10 then it wanders aimlessly and if its less than walking speed increases and the sound and other things for the AI come in for targeting players?

2018-04-23 20:26:23

When a zombie spawns, there are 2 possible behaviors it can start with...  Wandering or Searching.  On the main maps, custom maps, and most of the missions, zombies only use wandering.  In this mode they pick a random direction and start walking.  After moving for a while, or coming up to an obstacle, they'll randomly adjust their direction and continue.

In some missions, especially deathbringer, the zombies start out in the searching mode.  When searching, a special scent trail is overlaid on the map leading to where players are spending the most time.  In a warehouse this would likely be near the truck, or at least wherever the players have been focusing their efforts.  The zombies will still randomly move around, but when picking each random direction they are far more likely to go toward the stronger scent trail.  This helps lead zombies to where players are probably going to be.

As players step on different types of terrain, load guns, and of course fire weapons, they produce different levels of sound.  When each sound happens, a radius is calculated out from the player and any zombies within it are notified.  This is why you can sneak around quietly and zombies may wander right past.  The sneak skill actually just automatically shrinks the sound radius by a certain amount, but otherwise it works the same way.

When a zombie has heard you, regardless of them being set to Wander or Search, they are now in hunting mode.  This is when their speed increases and they do whatever they can to get to you.  Begin brain dead zombies sometimes that means running straight at a wall, but randomly they check to see if they've gotten themselves stuck and backtrack to find a different way to reach you.  If a zombie is avoided for long enough, like if you've outrun it and hidden in a building somewhere, it gives up the chase and goes back into Wander or Search mode.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-04-23 22:11:10

that's kinda cool. I remember going through the whole song and dance when I used to play the Metal Gear Solid games and get the alert status, then trying to run and hide, and the combat counter would tick down, then the sort of high alert one would go for a while, slower, then they'd finally just go back to their patrols.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-04-23 22:45:31

That's quite interesting finding  out how the zombies actually kinda work on the maps

2018-04-24 01:47:06

Wow that's cool. Didn't know they were that advanced. So you have different variables for sound, sent and all that? Would they all be integer types? Or boolean?

2018-04-24 04:22:51

Hey aprone, at the next update can you look at the Counter mode of the machete?  unless I'm using it wrong it is not working as it should.

2018-04-24 07:55:40

@livrobo: You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it works. A friend of mine figured it out by accident. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-04-24 08:22:49

hi
the server is down?

2018-04-24 15:41:36

my connection did drop last ght twice.

2018-04-24 16:38:45

I think we should all work on the readme, (or at least one of us should) to bring it up to speed with the current game. Also, maybe redo the swamp weapons and armor html file.