2014-12-27 07:52:32

I haven't been on swamp for a year, and I like many of the new things added.  the new lms maps gives a great verriety when wanting to do last man stuff instead of the town map.  And the defender missions are great for survival test.  As well, the new method for warehouse missions are great for a laugh too when setting some unique settings.

However, I barely have fun in ctf missions anymore.  Sometimes we get a battle where things even out as oddly enough player stat carry over.  So people are awkwardly being pelted with a full clip of ammo and still running, to then get hit by a sniper form afar.

hen we have jackasses who seem to have infinite ammo from a purchase and make degrading remarks because it seems they get the weapons they need quickly without even moving, and killing people in a few hits form a pistol, when it takes an bunch of minigun shots to drop them.  Something is really realy off with a few certain players in this mode and it makes the entire thing miserable to play when you run into those players.    Sure maybe setting the game to even stats out at the end would help, but the times someone's sat at one spot at the beginning with what sound slike an ak47 for 30 minutes from the start gets suspicious fast.

but other than that, when fights are not stupid, they are fun. And so are the other missions.  Everything that has been added has been very fun and I hope you keep up the good work...or polish off the rest of the work.

2014-12-27 08:08:10

Awesome update! downloading it now!
I haven't visited swamp, or the forum, for that matter, in a couple weeks. However, I'm very excited to start playing the new swamp update! I read the change log... pretty neet aprone! keep up the good work!
big_smile

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2014-12-27 08:10:00

I go back and forth on points and powerful weapons in CTF. Having played it for a few days, I have to say that I, as a level 136, currently like having points count and powerful weapons available for looting. Players can use points to max out speed, then concentrate on health (so they can survive longer barrages), or Handgun Mastery, so their Glock does more damage, or on a hunting rifle... It becomes, as Aprone said it would, part of the strategy. As to the AK or Vulcan, it's no fun when the other guys have them, but when your team does, it's awesome. You then have to figure out a way of taking out the guy with the vulcan so he loses it, or making him use up his ammo.

The only problem with this is when matches are uneven. Perhaps a system could be put in place that alerts you if most of the players in the mission you want to join are x levels higher. That way, a level 50 doesn't get thrown in with five people level 400 or above.

2014-12-27 08:39:07

Or you know, don't give players 11 medikits at the start, and making being a guardian impossible without leaving the base.  I find the points thing making the game oddly unbalanced.  especially when people oddly get their favorite weapons at the start.  As well, for those who can't spread point sthat far yet, the ctf matches are a joke where players just kill other people in one 2 hits no matter the hp.

Alos having the vokcan or ak47 is not nice when the other player can survive the entire burst and kill you in a few hits with a marlin.   

Tre's a reason why a lot of fps pvp stuff don't include damage increases in infinite ammounts like this. normally the perks are just weapon attatchments to avoid being heard or better movement skills. not 1000000 hp and 20000 damge on a weapon.  It's far more rewarding trying to survive with 100% hp or 200 if you want to change defaults at the mission, and be able to have the pistols not take 1000 shots to kill one guy.  The fact 4 players firing at me did not hurt me, but one dude with one-2 shots from an acr killing makes the entire thing not worth playing.  Also the mysterious people who somehow pullout 20 minutes worth of ammo near the same location an always grabbing their usual gun at every muach makes everything feel suspicious at many points.  Actually I don't even remember grabbing ammo as one of my item drops very often, just weapons.

t I had a lot more fun with Defend missions.  Not like frantically staying alive till the end.  That Is fun when swarmed and trying to inch out a bit longer.

2014-12-27 10:45:44 (edited by defender 2014-12-27 10:47:34)

Yeah I haven't been able to play yet, my crappy current headphones are broken, and my sexy new ones that I got for Christmas shipped with badly imbalanced drivers, I probably wouldn't care so much but, they are professional grade, all be it lower end, studio monitors, and the offset is really quite bad, plus I was going to use them for my amiture foley sound design as well, so...

Anyway, even though I haven't played CTF, based on the comments here, I tend to agree that skill points shouldn't be counted.

How ever, it should be possible to pick up various boosts, if possible, and weapons, with a starter set that you begin with, maybe 1 fieldkit with 4 medkits, a full set of light armor, so... leather jacket, hardhat, work jeans, motorcycle shoulder pads, boots, and an athletic cup... a Detonics with a full clip and 4 extras, and a Machete, since no combat knife has been intigrated as of yet and an axe doesn't make allot of sense for a starter secondary Melee weapon, at least in PVP.

Starting speed should be something that isn't too fast or too slow, for sanity's sake.  There should definetly be loaded weapons around like usual, with all possible types including HC title ones, with chance for pickup on the more powerful weapons being quite low, a long with ammo, armor, special armor including HC title ones, weapon attachments including HC title ones, and medkits, possibly that respawn every few minutes, or, stay at a constant number even when someone picks something up, so it keeps recycling and allows players to get new stuff.

If it's possible, boosts that do various things and can't have their effects stacked before they run out, and or ones that can stack and don't run out, such as ones that give some to speed for a bit, or for the hole match, boosts that give damage to all weapons, or, if impossible, the skill for the exact item, or the class that your current weapon belongs to, only for a bit or the hole match, one that adds 100 points to brawler and possibly another for hood for quite a short time, one that gives maybe 10 times your current health for quite a short time, etc.

I realize this would require changes, and that not everything on the list is probably possible, but at the same time, this, I think would eliminate many cheating problems that have and could continue to arise with ammo and medkits, as well as general overpower issues between players, yet still be fun for everyone involved, and add more of a PVP Atmosphere.

Please consider my ideas, and thanks again for your work on this, not just Aprone, but those who beta tested, and those who overhalled and updated the documentation, as well as those that worked on sounds.

2014-12-27 11:45:06

*Trying to run to the other team's base*
*Picks up a riot shield*
*5 seconds later, shot to death in one hit*

And that's how I discovered that the shield doesn't block bullets.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-12-27 12:59:08

Hi.
I haven't seen any bugs regarding to the chat. Sounds like the connection is dropping out when this happens. To check the connection, you can press shift and slash to see who's online. This command checks the connection to the server. If nothing happens when pressing shift slash, then the connection might be lost.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-12-27 14:14:14

Warning, slightly rant-ish response ahead.

Sure, it's suspicious if people seem to always find their favourite gun, but have you considered they might be looting for it? You can try running around with a glock and sport rifle if you want, but I'd go looking for a better gun. If there's an exploit there, then yes we should ask for it to be fixed. But there might not be.

I perhaps grudgingly agree that people shouldn't have their points for CTF. Not that I particularly look forward to clumping around at level 1 speeds though. But the level 500+s would have a distinct advantage in CTF if they weren't all scared of losing their giant weapon caches and screaming "bugged" as this new mode wasn't perfect first time round.

Yes, if someone's got a powerful weapon, they're dangerous. Is this so game breaking? I'm sure you'd find most games where you can pick up heavy weapons you can do big damage. This isn't uncommon even in mainstream games. Fortunately, you can take the guys with vulcans out.

And yeah, the item multiplication is a bug.

As for xp for CTF. No! Please don't. I think actual game-changing rewards and pvp should be kept apart if possible.

2014-12-27 19:17:21 (edited by carlosM 2014-12-27 19:21:34)

aprone, more bugs:

You can get over 50 bloodies when resetting with bloodies and if you put points back in health.

Rader voices won't be quiet when you get close to them even if you move away. it's as if they play at your coordinates no matter what.

These are bugs people have stated. I can say that the rader bug is true on map5, but I'm not sure of the bloody clothes bug.

About ctf missions. The way I see it, people shouldn't have more than 200 hp. the reason why I say 200 is because it can give you a chance to survive an ACR with points in it. I hate having to deal with a guy with a vulkin. One shot death, but know that there are ways to counter that. you can try  going in the building with a flamethrower and hold the trigger down while you move across. or, you could try hurling a grenade inside the building where the dude with the vulkin is. If your lucky, you'll get him or her. If this makes sense, I believe that no weapon should be stronger than the minigun without points to prevent people from getting massacred in one shot. I'm not saying to eliminate all strong weapons, but I'm saying that some people can be killed with one shot vulkin bursts if they don't have any points in hp. One time I went up with a level 1000> and I used the thrower and he wasn't dead even after my tank had emptied. I luckily had a chainsaw to empty, or else I would have died lol. I love CTF, but it can be frustrating at times.
I'm not too sure how mainstream CTF missions work, so if this is what we're trieing to acheve I can't really help. I can live with the current setup as it is. I do not have a problem about it, but some people may think it's unfair to play against what scemes to be impossibal odds. sorry aprone if I'm double posting bugs.

Carlos

2014-12-27 22:48:07

Is anyone having trouble with the download link? Tried with IE/FF on two machines, download interrupts so I resume then it says it's complete at about 30%. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2014-12-27 22:56:27 (edited by carlosM 2014-12-27 22:57:32)

Aprone's website has been having issues recently. try one of the other links from sendspace pro, or use a smart download manager that can remember across connection interrupts. try using this:
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/qwzsyn

Carlos

2014-12-27 23:17:51

Yeah I used DTA for Firefox on his site and got it the first time.

2014-12-28 00:01:34

Hi Aprone, any plans on allowing PVP in cmm missions? That would allow us to practice pvp and things like that smile

2014-12-28 00:36:13

Pvp in CMM would be fun. You'd have to watch out for zombies though...

2014-12-28 00:43:06

I have nothing against heavy weapons in that mode.  What I am against is pooring more shots into a player then I do a zombie with a volcan, and them not dying,  while I go down to their mp5 fire quickly and the other player not healing.  It's hard to take down the volcan guy when he can flatten you in a few hits, while usin gthe same weapon does nothing to them. 

I find the lms and defender stuff a lot more enjoyable as either one is working together on that, or missions, or are even as you don't see lv 600 players pooring all their point sinto axe and hp to last obscenely long.  If everyone were set to lv 1 with certain exceptions (maybe lv 20 for at least 20 speed), people wouldn't end up in situations where you partners keep killing the other team in a few hits, making the thing boring, or the other team not getting annoyed the entire match as nothing hurts the ones firing.

2014-12-28 04:35:10

We have macbook pros and want to know how to play swamp on them with the trackpad. Has anyone been successfully done this, and how since the mbp trackpad doesn't have any buttons! Thanks for any info

2014-12-28 04:40:05

A couple other thoughts on CTF.

First, what if the server sorted players so that, as much as possible, the teams would end up with the same number of players in the same level ranges? That way you wouldn't have one team with all level 50 players, and the other team with all level 500 players. Each would have some of both so that, while individual players might be outmatched, the overall teams wouldn't be.

A couple suggestions I keep forgetting to post. First, can fellow teammates have an audio tag on them, similar to the heartbeat sound in Tide? This way we don't keep shooting at our own teammates, and we know if that guy standing silently over there is a friend or not. This may have negative ramifications I haven't thought of.

Second, can the chat system work so that you only chat with your team? It's hard to plan strategies when the enemy can hear you. smile Perhaps a /all or /wa (whisper all) command could be added to let you talk to everyone if you wanted to, but by default, chat messages should only go to your team.

2014-12-28 04:42:01

The trackpad has a single button, which Swamp sees as MOUSE! (left click). You can then map all other commands to keys instead of the mouse. Or, do what I did and pick up a $10 wireless mouse. It's easier to aim, more comfortable, has more buttons, and is overall less frustrating than the trackpad, to me at least. Of course, if Swamp supported multi-touch commands, that'd be a different story! smile

2014-12-28 04:46:06

How do you turn with the trackpad?

2014-12-28 08:30:07

mehgcap, for planning with your team on ctf missions, you could just tell your fellow team mates to chat with you on channel 73 or something. There's 98 channels other than the main one, most of which aren't used very much. With that in place, seems a bit unfair to ask Aprone to code you a new solution.

I agree that often times teams can end up unbalanced, though as the teams are set up as people join them, I don't know how it could be fixed. As people join, the server has no way of knowing who will join next. So arranging them more effectively would require that teams aren't set up until after launch.

I think that making it so you cannot launch with an odd number of people would be helpful. I've often had the problem of someone joining at the last second as the mission is being launched, ending up with an extra person on one team.
Also, randomizing both the specific tile in your fort you spawn in, and, randomizing what weapon you spawn with, could go a long way to making ctf more fair.
As it is a player with sufficient points can pour tons of them into sport rifles, and then just stand in the enemy fort and kill people as they spawn.
Having random weapons could be a lot of fun for it's own sake... and, sure. I coul still put 50 points in sport rifles... but it would only be useful if i found one or happened to spawn with one. So I'd be more likely to put less points in more weapons, or health, or other skills.
I think just setting everyone to an equal level would quickly suck the fun out of ctf. You're always up against the same thing. It wouldn't be awesome to win against anga, knowing that he has 1000 more points than you and you still won. lol.

Kat

2014-12-28 10:00:06

nice one black magic girl.  smile. i think, what we must do is ask aprone the questions. 1. explain in mor detail. how is the CTF missions in normal sighted games. level whise. meening, u do not see them having a issue with level skills. why is this?
2. how do they cope with finding items or keeping themselves alive.
3. cant any of those be ported in to swamp?
4. if there's no level system. and every ones on the same level. how do they find items to keep them alive, and? yet again? cant this be ported in to swamp.
i think what we need is a better understanding of how these things works in that game in orddr to understand, how to do things in swamp. the most simple selution is what some one suggested else ware. in the  last few posts. every ones level one. but u can find speed boosters. health boosters. randum weapons. and more. to aid you and keep u alive. this wil even out the playing field and it wil then come down to strategy to see who wins.
now, on a slightly different note.
i hurd that some one or some people was talking about the to high missions rewards in normal missions. i must point out that. i am quick to defend lower level players. since i no how they feel at times.
but i feel. that if u gonna make a 200 crate mission. with the most agressive zombie settings,
and u get tuns of xp. and rep.
this is valid. for on my high level i only get a few  levels out of them 1.8 mil xp is not that much all things considered.
and? if lower levels feels they want to try this mish, or missions.
they should not complain if they get tuns of xp. i feel that this high reward system is a perfect balance now. because in time the server wil even out the rewards baced on the maps played. and? also. even if the rewards is stil high. battling for over 2 hours to finish a mission. is deserving of that high rewards. :d
just my humble few doggie pallets in the mix

There's a place for me in this universe.

2014-12-28 10:43:39

jdawg1983 wrote:

We have macbook pros and want to know how to play swamp on them with the trackpad. Has anyone been successfully done this, and how since the mbp trackpad doesn't have any buttons! Thanks for any info

You can configure the trackpad to both have left click and right click. Go into System preferences, trackpad and on the first tab, you can enable the right click as secondarry click. Then, in the popup button, you can set it to the right cornor so pressing the left cornor is the left click, and pressing the right cornor is the right click. This works fine.
Regarding to turning, you just have to place your finger on the middle of the trackpad and drag your finger left or right.
You might find the following article which I've written helpful:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=12292
Let me know if you or others have more questions.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-12-28 13:35:42

Hi everyone

As for pvp in LMS, if you read either the changelog, or the readme, you will find that this has been implemented. <smile> I really cannot stress enough that documentation is available for a reason ...

As for CTF, it is rather annoying to be flattened by an mg when you don't even see the shots coming etc, so a bit of balance wouldn't hurt in these matters. big_smile

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2014-12-28 14:36:45

How can this be? I've tried the most recent Sendspace link for downloading and even tried copying my V3.3 progress file but still when I log on I'm a level 131 HC character and I was a level 19 or 20 normal with the rank of Private for my Investigator char when V3.3 was replaced. Can anyone help?

2014-12-28 15:39:18 (edited by criticview 2014-12-28 15:41:47)

welshweyr wrote:

How can this be? I've tried the most recent Sendspace link for downloading and even tried copying my V3.3 progress file but still when I log on I'm a level 131 HC character and I was a level 19 or 20 normal with the rank of Private for my Investigator char when V3.3 was replaced. Can anyone help?

Yes, only Aprone can. Remember that no files in your swamp directory are responsible for your level, exp, food, rep or inventory. Everything of that kind of information is stored on the server. Remember also, that at the launch of 3.4 records of a day old were used, because a lot of things had to be done to insure all data was compatible. So that's the only reason why your char returned back to hardcore. The best thing you can do is ask Aprone for help, or get 19 ,ore levels and convert again.

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics