2018-08-08 00:00:06

The reason the idea is not implemented is because it can easily lead to abuse.  I know you're imagining a system where someone no longer benefits while they are AFK, but the mere ability to take yourself out of the action at will, is a benefit.  As as been stated already, what stops someone from using this whenever they find themselves under attack or surrounded by enemies?  They can wait for the enemies to pass or be dealt with by someone else, then pop back into the action.

To solve this, someone could suggest some specific rules for using the AFK option.  What if you can't use the AFK option if you are within some minimum distance from a zombie?  Perhaps you can't use it if you've been hit by a zombie, or fired a weapon in the last 5 seconds.  For any rule we come up with, someone's going to run into a real life situation pulling them away from the game, and they won't be able to use the AFK option because of that rule.

In Swamp the AFK type of option was already put in place, but with a specific set of rules for how it can be done in order to avoid abuse.  In Swamp, you can exit out of an ongoing mission any time you want, as long as you walk into the truck and press Enter.  This prevents you from using it suddenly to escape a death, and because doing this removes you from the mission it prevents you from using it to just avoid danger and then return to normal once it has passed.

I'm asking about other games and other developers to show the conclusion that nearly every development team reached, which is that you can't just let people pause the action whenever they wish.  If you play something like World of Warcraft, you can teleport yourself back to base if someone knocks on your door.  To prevent abuse you can only use it if you're not actively attacking or being attacked, you have to stand still for about 10 seconds without being attacked as the spell casts, and when you get back you have to walk however far to get back to where you originally were.  It lets you deal with real life, but has restrictions and consequences for it's use.

League of Legends has a similar system for teleporting back to base.  Most games have nothing at all.  If I'm playing MineCraft and my cat starts throwing up on the sofa... I am completely at the mercy of the game's enemies and other players until I return.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-08-08 00:28:30

Sounds like through aprone has spoken LOL.  I remember when the escape key was a pause feature and people would hide in it until the zombies passed away from them or were delt with.
On nother note a question aprone.  Let's say people want to do weapon quests because that's what they are good at.  Do I have to wait for a day when they are posted or not?

2018-08-08 00:57:04

I also have to agree with aprone, though it'd be nice. lol AFK mode will never be a reality on swamp.

As far as the stamina system, I have a hell of a time judging how far a zombie is away, and now I'm really not sure when to start swinging to maybe get in the first hit. If the zombie gets in the first hit, he has the chance to, break my equipment, give me bloody clothes, and just give me a whack for a certain damage amount.
So that's kind of why I'd like for the stamina to kick in for longer than the seemingly 4 swings also. Its with maybe 6 or 7 swings I come in contact, and I've been trying to adjust for that, but the weapon swings drop off so drastically it can get painful.

Anyway, I'm sure you and your testers will come up with the best solution, you have a good team there. Just my two cents.
smile

2018-08-08 01:11:19

well i just done a 180db with bully and if i was using the hammer or any weapon like that forget it you wouldn't stand a chance. not with the way things are at the moment. that doesn't affect me personally as i favour the AA12. but i can see how it will affect others. yes i have had trouble judging when to swing witch is why i don't use those sorts of weapons. that's just a me thing though not a game thing others seem to be able to judge the distants much better and i'd love to know how if i'm honest more because i'm curious than any other reason.

2018-08-08 02:16:00 (edited by turtlepower17 2018-08-08 02:20:53)

Well, I honestly don't know how to feel about this. I agree with the points Aprone raised about how making an AFK mode would be unrealistic. However, I don't like this stamina system in its current implementation. I think that four or five swings is really not enough, seeing as how sometimes you get mobbed, and shooting in those situations isn't ideal because you have to stop and aim, all the while wasting valuable health points and possible armor. I admit to running through a mob while swinging madly, particularly if I have a bunch of bloody clothes, because that means they're all on my heels anyway. The sledgehammer helps enormously with such situations. Maybe I'm just a crappy player? In any case, whatever you decide to do with it, I respect your position, because no other developer of an online audio game that I know of has actually tried as hard to make it a pleasant, balanced experience for all.

I also think this will hurt new players badly. I can only assume that there aren't a whole lot of them, or this wouldn't have been implemented in the form it took. I can guarantee that if it had been this way when I first started out, I wouldn't have continued playing. I mean, it's different if you have friends who will feed you weapons and ammo, but that makes me feel slimy, asking people for, or even just having them give me things they worked hard to get. It would be even more humiliating for me personally if I did that in the public chat. I abhor being a leech. Maybe others don't feel that way, but I absolutely would, and perhaps others would as well. It would probably be a huge struggle for them to claw their way out of such situations.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-08-08 04:11:11

I like the suggestion where you can raise endurance via skills- maybe as part of melee mastery? Something like that. After all, a skilled and trained person can swing way more time without getting tired than an untrained person.

While I'm not really a melee kinda guy so I'm not hugely impacted by this change, I also think maybe 4 to 5 swings is a bit too harsh and also, unrealistic.
Granted, "realistic" is a very loose term when dealing with a game with zombies and people able to carry limitless supplies on their persons smile

But...
In my experience teaching weapon forms in my career, I get a pretty solid view on the average person's endurance when swinging a sword full force into a dummy repeatedly.

Generally speaking, even the most untrained newbie, as long as they are relatively fit- as we can assume most survivors in a zombie infested world would be,
can swing anywhere from 20 to 25 times, full force, before starting to experience fatigue. If we add the adrenaline and fear factor, where the "dummy" is a flesh eating undead who's out for your brain, it is reasonable to expect said untrained newbie to be able to crank out another 20 swings before arms turn to noodles.

Then we go into the area of those who are trained and used to combative simulations like myself. On a skill of 1 to 10, with 10 being grand masters such as Dug Marcaidaor Jerry Bell, I would only come up to a 5. I might've been a 7 if I was sighted, but that's neither here or there... So, even a middle of the pack, quite average run of the mill back alley instructor as myself, can average over 100 repeated full force swings (that's our warm up lol) without tiring...

Again, I understand that reality is a far departure from what we're talking about here, but I think in this case, it's relevant.

Also keep in mind that, sometimes for mid to low level players, the last ditch defense when being swarmed and cornered is to grab your sledgehammer, hold down that trigger and pray real hard. I think, with the currentl endurance system, it's effectively taking away that last ditch option, making the game alot harder for some without really adding much to the gaming experience as a whole.

2018-08-08 04:12:26 (edited by Mads 2018-08-08 04:18:40)

Hi guys
So I understand all you have said so far Aprone, but I still wonder why.
I mean, why is it that the melee weapons need to be nerfed? I my expirience the melee weapons never would outdo a gun. I have only played normal, but I figure, that a hardcore character would rather use a gun, if he has ammo for it, than use a melee weapon.
And even if someone autoswings the entire day, who would, or should, care.
I have never seen a person write in chat: Oh I just hate the autoswingers, there life is just so easy compared to mine.
I mean, on a solomission, who cares if the person takes a 5 hour break? No one. On a mission with others, well if the mission-leader does care, guess what, you'll get kicked.
And the mentality of why should the game consider your real life... simply cause, why not. i know that it might sound weird, but i just don't understand, why you shouldn't be able to take a break. It doesn't make the game easier, you still need to do the same work, just over less missions. And diezel is not "that" hard to find. It would simply just make life easier, not the game. And if it is no breaks you want, then make it so the longer you take, the more fule you burn. I know it makes no sense, but it neither makes sense, that all mission members have there own escapetruck...
Of course all of this is just my thoughts. As you might have guessed, I am a fan of the mentality: Fun before difficulty. Both are important, but i would rather have the fun a bit higher on the list than making changes that just fucks you over.
And to the person typing in the "well if you don't like it, stop playing" right now, i just have to say: I will do everything in my might to keep playing, but sometimes you have to protest. I will keep playing, but if these are the only kind of changes comming, I don't know how long it takes before I either lose interest or just can't support the game...
For me, this is just as much a dislike of the consept of making these sorts of things, instead of adding something new and fun to do. I know you can't make something exciting everytime, I just don't understand why you would do something like this instead of working on something new, or fixing the bugs...
I completely agree with the previous post. I hate when changes make the game harder without adding to the overall experience
I hope you will listen, and
i maybe will make a difference on the games futurei spend quite some time thinking this over so... please...
Have a nice day.

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2018-08-08 05:27:57

Not sure if it's just my uneducated ear or is this true for others as well, but I just noticed that with the latest change, it almost seems that those running gears are pretty pointless now.
I'm in full apronic, and for the longest time I sacrifice the waist slot for the running shorts for the good speed boost, but now, with the newest update, at least to my ear anyway, I'm running exactly same speed no matter if I wear my apronic belt, or running shorts, or inflatable sheep- there's no speed boost what so ever anymore.

2018-08-08 05:44:00

*yawn* so many complainers as usual with a swamp or any audio game update for that matter....then you guys wonder why devs take long breaks from games, or just abandon them.....learn how to adjust.....a game is not going to be a piece of cake all the time, wipe the tears away, and accept a challenge for goodness sake....you complainers just don't understand how much you guys get under my skin man....anyway thx for the update aprone, its greatly appreciated....keep up the good work

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-08-08 07:50:22

smile It's how it work...a circle of life almost. A dev comes up with an update, some of us come forward to tell him what "in our opinions" are buggy, or wrong, or broken, or could be better. Then the next bunch complain about us complaining/whining, and that same bunch then give the dev a pat on the back and say "Hey man, whatever you do, it's all fine and awesome." and that apparently strokes the ego enough to get the dev cracking out another update, and we can then complain again...and on we go...

No dev will improve if they never hear any criticism towards their product/updates, just as no dev will want to make those updates/products if all they hear are negative feedbacks. And of course, without devs, all this'd be moot points... So I guess we all have our parts to play smile

2018-08-08 08:04:37

I do think this is a bit of a valid point to raise with regarding to the new melee/shield system. Since the game already has no viable "pause" option, and I agree, it'd be too easy to abuse, if, say during being swarmed on a mission, a family member comes into the room, wife, gf, whatever, and needs to talk to us, in the old days, at least you can try to answer them while holding down the trigger on the hammer, or set the shield blocking, and hope for the best while trying to explain to your pesky wife where you left her ipod... Risky, but better than nothing.
Keep in mind that unlike many sighted players, most of us cannot carry on an effective conversation with external destractions while still able to see what's up on screen.
I've seen many sighted gamer friends who simply mute the audio, keep their eyes on the screen while carrying out complicated domestic discussions with/against their spouses, parents, or even kids.

So now that autoswing and reliable continuous shield blocks are not really an option, if said gf, or wife, busts in just as we're being swarmed and demands to know where the cat is, or the ipod, or the TV remote is not working... We're immediately placed in a very uncomfortable position-

Happy marriage 101- which of the following will hurt less:

1: Tell her to f-off, you're busy trying not to get killed and lose your sh*t.

2: Go tend to her need, die and then get bad tempered about it.

3: Whine at the dev and hopefully something can be done to prevent this kind of marital atrocity from happening...

smile

2018-08-08 08:51:51

@privatetai I like the way you think. Let's campaign aprone to be the champion of happy marriages everywhere!
big_smile

I hate when my wife walks in while I'm in a really tight situation in a quest like 2 shacks, and she has to get, hang on babe, before she even gets going on why she's needing my attention to something. She just hates getting stopped by, "I'm on swamp!" "hang on!" Man that pisses her off. rofl Mostly because she's getting thwarted by a stupid game. She doesn't want my char to get killed either, but she's like, why can't you just pause?
*sigh*

2018-08-08 09:22:09 (edited by vlad25 2018-08-08 09:27:12)

darren wrote:

ok fair enough that explains that. but i must ask, what difference does it make what other game developers do or don't do? why is that so important. also i'd like to ask why is my idea so bad? like i say i thought of an idea that would not allow anybody to benefit from being afk for any reason other than to deal with something that is rl. i'm sorry i just don't see the issue. if other games don't offer that so what? there's nothing stopping game developers from offering something like i've suggested if they so wish.

and here's my answer to this. it's a pretty bad idea. just look at how is it used on redspot and after that start wondering why aprone will never add this feature. or at least i hope he won't ever do that.
now regarding the complainers well, i am for the criticism but this criticism should be a constructive one, not things like, your game sucks or f off with your game.
right now how people were expressing their opinions on this topic seemed pretty decent ones. so yes. keep doing it, so aprone understands what you guys want. but like i said, be patient and keep in mind that this is not his only job. also, if some suggestion are refused my advice is to understand why, cause knowing aprone he is pretty opened about suggestions annd he's refusing some of them if they are seriously over the border

2018-08-08 09:25:31

Mads, you wondered why I would make this melee change rather than fix bugs, but in my view this was a long standing bug that's being fixed.  Of course not every player has been using the melee weapons as a crutch, but many have.  Many.  There are players who will literally go days without ever killing a zombie.  They would equip their shield and run full speed around warehouses over and over, flat out ignoring zombies because getting hit wasn't going to slow them down enough to matter.  At least a few of those players even admitted to muting all zombie sounds because hearing them is pointless when you can just pretend they don't exist.

Higher level players who have enough health and hit points can regularly be found camped out somewhere with auto swing on.  With the proper armor and stats, those players can choose to instantly stop anywhere they happen to be, and become invincible hammer swinging machines.

The melee weapons have been abused for a very long time.  They were intended to be weapons used when you had no other choice, but instead they dominate over the guns in how often they are used.  Who wouldn't want to use a weapon that never needs ammo, never needs you to stop and reload, has a chance to block incoming damage, doesn't need to be aimed, and can automatically kill anything that gets close even if you decide to just stand up and walk away from the computer.  When you see how the melee weapons (and shields) have been used, they are so laughably unbalanced and broken that I never really expected people to defend them, except players who have been abusing them in these ways.

I think one of the best arguments I've seen in the past few posts was privatetai's commend about sighted gamers being able to multitask their way through distractions better due to their eyesight.  That's a good point, and one I'll keep in mind as I move forward.

I may very well adjust how the stamina works as I continue developing the next patch, but I have no plans to return them to the ultimate way to avoid any actual challenge.

As for the running speed question, even if the footsteps aren't sounding faster, the items still work the same as they always did.  Depending on how the numbers round, your movement speed may not have changed quite enough to change the rate the footstep sounds play.  The new stamina system does not affect how fast people are moving (despite the rumors).

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-08-08 09:37:11

"At least a few of those players even admitted to muting all zombie sounds because hearing them is pointless when you can just pretend they don't exist."

That is very true and one I've heard of as well. I was horrified when I first heard people say they mute zombie sounds, cause to me, then you're not playing swamp lol.

And I also do agree the way the melee and shield have been used was definitely unbalanced in the extreme, and I agree that changes are needed to bring them more in line with how this should work. Seeing how some people just run through hordes of zombie with bayonets on auto swing, killing zombies left right and center without breaking stride, was always at the same time quite awe inspiring and disturbing in a "wow, this shi*t is unbalanced!" sort of way.

Funny that Aprone mentions people running through warehouses with shields, enver stopping to fight zombies while grabbing up crates... I remember this very same conversation during the game several times, when many players would brag/say something like "I never kill zombies during missions, I just shield up and run past them, that's how it's supposed to be." And honestly, I started to wonder if they're all doing it right, and those like me who have to stop and fight were doing it wrong lol.

2018-08-08 09:42:00

I want to do a retraction to one of my ealrier messages and say that it was my error rather than the updates that I didn't noticed running gear giving me speed. lol I just noticed now that the reason why I'm running so slow in running gear is I have the shield equipped. I've spent so long playing always with shield equipped if I'm not fighting I didn't even think of it lol.
Once I switched to other weapon, speed boosted properly.
So yeah, speed's working fine...my bad

2018-08-08 11:13:42

hello everyone this new system for melee is hard for new players very hard

2018-08-08 11:54:40

@Aprone
Wow. I never new that people could use it like that or that the situation was so bad.
I apologize if anything i said didn’t match reality, but I am a quite cassual gamer, so i have no real expirience with highlevel suf.
I just do what I find most fun... currently blasting zombies with a browning...

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2018-08-08 16:43:00

No worries.  I've been quite happy to read and reply to the messages on here about the game changes.  Discussions like these are almost always productive, and hopefully no one thought I was upset at any point during it.  It's sometimes hard to judge how people are feeling based on text, so I try to slap smiley faces (and other junk) into mine when I think something light-hearted could be interpreted as annoyance.

I'm still gathering bug reports from people, and I'm happy to report that while at work last night an idea popped into my head that may solve a coding problem I've been a little stuck on for over a week.  If it ends up being a solution, there may be some extra exciting stuff coming in the next update.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-08-08 17:29:50

I had no idea the melee weapons were being abused this badly, either. As a casual player myself, only going on the occasional mission, and basically staying out of the chat, I truly didn't understand how bad things had gotten. I'm glad something was done about it, although I still say it could use a little tweaking, as all new features usually do. In any case, as I said before, I respect the fact that this game is still getting updates after all this time, and I also agree 1000% about not being able to focus on an audio game if someone wants your attention, that is a valid concern that I hadn't even thought about.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-08-08 18:47:32

no i didn't because apart from the weekends i live alone but it is obvious now you come to think of it. you do pretty much isolate yourself when playing an audio game and especially 1 like swamp because of the type of game that it is and the level of concentration it requires. you can't just have a conversation with someone by that i mean something important.

2018-08-08 19:35:13

right everyone stop bitching about how you hate the game now, you have to adapt in real life, its a sighted world and we as blind people have to adapt there in.
stop pressuring aprone, this exactly the shit that stopped him from developing this great game. yes you will die, but people will help you out in replacing your stuff to get you up and running again.
its a game at the end of the day, if you feel like taking a break no one is forcing you to play, get your heads strate then come back when you have withdrawal simptons.
yes there are buggs, these are being worked on as we speak, and you will enjoy it a lot more when all said and done.
you may say its ok for me to priech, i have the levels to try new things out, i have been playing the game from week 2 of its inception so of course i have the levels.
remember when we all lost a couple thousand levels i with a lot of players were hopping mad, but you just get on with and build up again.
rant over.

2018-08-08 19:57:15

hi
well, at least this doesn't affect me at all honestly i'm not even using the melee that much. i'm very carefull loading my sport rifles at the right time and that's it. there's no need to bitch about the melee. so let's say that you have a hammer and you work on fixing something. so you hit it as it requires but do you do it using the same rithm? no, you slow a little bit down because you get tired. it's honestly the reality, i am for fiction, but this game is a mix between fiction and reality, so it has elements from one and other too.
as another suggestion. how about a new weapon too? like the eagle for example? that would be a pretty cool thing.

2018-08-08 20:02:05

New weapons are definitely on the way.  I've been trying to get a few bigger things coded first, but Mr. Kai has all those wonderful unused weapon sounds waiting there for me to add.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-08-08 21:16:45

lol if it's a mixture of fiction and reality does that make it very rictitious or heavy on the fealism? lol