2018-06-28 16:27:26

agreed on that the locker system is much easier to use now. far far better.

2018-06-28 22:48:29

so i was just talking with my friends about swamp, we was thinking of an idea that might be cool, so here it is, we was saying about other small quests like, if we get a quests from time to time automaticly to kill zombies in a map, or small storys like a few guys need help and we should help them, when you complete them you get a few amount of xp or something, and we select if we need to accept them or just leave them, sorry for the bad english lol.

2018-06-29 19:47:53

Hi.
I've got a feature request which might fall on deth ears or denial with the majority of the player base.

Recently I developed a hearing impairment. I had a constant hearing impairment before, but some weeks ago this was worsened, luckly, it's only in one ear, but I have problems targeting zombies by their steps and sounds and I am wasting quite a lot of ammo on that.
So, would it be possible to integrate an optional targeting solution sound which can be turned on or off, depending if the player needs it or not.

I know, this has talked about before, but I hope that this could be an optional feature in the future.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-06-29 19:57:17

Just saying the first thing that comes to mind, but: if pan was represented by pitch instead, do you think that would work? It'd doubtless be troublesome to implement since the zombies have pitch variation already, but it came to mind as a way to keep standard targeting without relying on stereo.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-06-29 21:42:27

Hi.
Hmm i am not sure and didn't think about that. To be honest I am a bit confused on how this should work, I am sorry, but I am a bit tired already xd.
Could you, with a little example explain what you mean or is there a game which uses this system?

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-06-29 22:22:28

tbh i think an extra targeting system should be there for those who need it. it's no different to totally blind people asking for screen reader accessibility. the same thing applies here. if there's a system that allows players with hearing impairments to be on a more level playing field then it should be explored and implemented.

2018-06-30 01:30:46

I'm really liking CAE's suggestion about pitch change, and wrote myself a note about it so I can play around with the idea when I have some time.  I'm curious to hear how that would turn out.

Darren, the big question is, what stops all of the other players from using it to drastically improve their accuracy?  Wouldn't the hearing impaired players then be right back at the bottom of the skill hierarchy?

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-06-30 04:13:25

I have to totally agree with Darren here. Besides, there isn't a leader board for skills like accuracy anyway, and I'm one who could care less what my accuracy is. lol
Also, if it helps a hearing impaired person to play the game for his or her own enjoyment, what's the harm?
For folks who don't really need a targeting system in place, they'll soon find swamp becomes way too easy, and there's no challenge. It'll get old soon enough, and I'd think if their any kind of a real gamer, they'd go back to the old way of shooting zombies. Just my two cents.
smile

2018-06-30 07:44:54

At Simba: I was thinking that the default pitch of the sound would be centered. A sound to the left might have a lower pitch, and one to the right might have a higher pitch, or vice-versa (it should probably be something you can select). Since stereo in Swamp is based on angle, there's already a natural limit on how high or low the sound could go, so it wouldn't have to get more extreme than the variations currently are. Maybe the exact details could be customized to better suit the individual, since hearing loss can vary in how different pitches are affected, and it can vary even among people without appreciable hearing loss (see: Laurel vs Yannie).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-06-30 08:08:15

I would in favor of a targeting solution too because I too have a hearing impairment- mainly, I only hear out of one ear. So aiming, or even hearing crates, tend to be a bit of a fluke thing for me.

2018-06-30 11:11:54

at aprone, i don't really have a viable answer for that as am not hearing impaired myself thus the reason why i think it should be explored. if people who are hearing impaired can't use the currant system for whatever reason a way needs to be found that allows them to play the game as well as anybody else.

as for others using the system to shoot zombies, well personally i wouldn't change the way i target stuff i'm used to the currant system.

2018-06-30 17:04:49 (edited by john 2018-06-30 17:06:23)

Just a thought: if you give me a targeting bleep in ctf or lms, I'm going to use it. You're welcome to get completely confused by a bunch of people in close proximity, I'll just spin until I hear the bleep and blast you away.
Yes, the impact on regular missions is probably lesser, since really you're just saving a little ammo and time, but a targeting sound will make those using it vastly better than those not, gamer pride aside.
Also, porting such a system to the m79 may be a rather large challenge.
I understand the reasons for this, and agree that something can probably be done (the pitch idea is excellent), but a specific sound to tell you that you're on target is not the way to do it.

2018-07-01 06:01:14

I have an overview meter type of thing to let me see visually how the number of players on the server goes up and down throughout the day.  Was there really a period of time tonight with over 90 players online?!  Holy cow that's the first time that's happened in years I think.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-07-01 11:48:29

what! are you serious! how many players can the server handle? there another update or something?

2018-07-01 12:43:49

what's the ocasion to attract that many players? I doubt it's the bots?

Often we have no time for our friends, but all the time in the world for our enemies.

2018-07-01 12:55:26

Hello aprone, i sent you a mail, can you answer me please? sure not here, in another mail ofcourse, lol. And congrats with your 90 players peek!

2018-07-01 13:52:02

Renewals, perhaps? Anyone else having trouble with that btw?

2018-07-01 14:13:41

Well, it's the start of the month. And the Fourth of July is coming up, and there have been events around that before. Also it's the middle of summer in the northern hemisphere, and the weekend, and have the ACB/NFB conventions started yet? ... I'd expect that last one to detract from the user count, unless a bunch of convention goers were all like, "hey, so Swamp started updating again," "No way; let's do some kinda mission or something!" "Hey what are you talking about?" "Accessible online FPS; here, I'll buy you an account!" ... But what are the odds of that? ^_^

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-07-01 15:20:49

I believe the server is set to hold 100 max.  I've changed it over time (depending on what I wanted the server load to be) to anywhere between 60 and 100, but if it was recently at 90 then it must be set to at least that.  I always do multiples of 10, and I didn't see any warnings about the server reaching maximum and sending away players, so we either happened to stop at 90 or the cap is set to 100.  I really over thought that when I could just walk downstairs and check.  lol.

There is another update that I've been slowly working on, but it's not ready to release yet.  I still have quite a bit of tinkering to do on it, and I'm trying to decide where the cut off should be where I post what I have and save the rest of the ideas/fixes for a separate patch.

Sorry Skylord, I've got so many emails and messages piled up that sadly I've been missing some people.  I always start out with the best of intentions, then I hit a day where I couldn't get to 5 of them... then the next day I have to start with those old 5 and the day ends where I've missed 15.  Each day I fall further and further behind, until I have (currently) 117 unread emails and I start skimming and skipping the oldest ones because newer ones seem more critical according to their subject lines.  It's really not the best way for me to handle it, I know, I just get totally overwhelmed and people suffer with a lack of Aprone replies.  tongue  I will specifically look for your email today!

Truecraig, if you're having trouble, fill me in and I'll try to help.

CAE, did you possibly find yourself in just such a situation recently?  That seemed like an awfully detailed guess, haha.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-07-01 20:01:12

well it's nice to see so many people back on the game. looking forward to what you bring us next. any hints lol?

2018-07-02 00:00:03

to people with renewal problems. aprone said he's aware of the problem and that he's going to take a look at it. It's in the game motd.
I my self bought 6 months today and didn't get any renewal to my account. We'll just have to wait until aprone can fix the issue

2018-07-02 04:44:19

Yes sorry about this everyone.  I've been having some issues with Paypal yesterday and today, and as a result I'm forced to enter most of the renewals manually.  In the morning I plan to call their tech support and see if I can figure out what's going on.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-07-02 08:54:33

Hi.
It's nice to see some great discussion for those who are having hearing impairment. I might remember wrong, but very long time ago, I think there was developed something in Swamp, where either the left or right speaker played louder, so people with hearing impairment could adjust that to their needs. I don't remember how to do that or where to find the feature, but I might remember wrong.
I think the pitch idea would be the best solution. The idea is not to make the gameplay easier. Then, people should also be able to set the game to mono.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-02 11:03:23

Hello aprone, i surely understand your situation. And, i sent you not a forum e-mail, but an e-mail directly to the email that's shown on kaldobsky.com. The mail adress is also different from the forum given one, so keep in mind you might have searched and not found anything cause you just not known that was me. The topic of the message is swamp, sender name is nikita, and i sure don't ask you to hurry up or something.

2018-07-02 20:38:35

when can we expect to get our renewals. those who purchased and didn't get them. I would like to get back playing as soon as possible. Some people also seems to get the rest of the month for free  when they purchase their renewal