2014-12-06 05:38:15 (edited by queenslight 2015-05-02 22:26:55)

Portal Post

Notice!   

The post you are reading right now, will be replaced in future with something very unique, informational, and different. With that being said, the first "official" thread post, starts with "Post 2." Sorry to confuse everyone!

2014-12-06 05:40:29 (edited by queenslight 2014-12-06 06:13:49)

Chromi-mia! The Book Has Arrived! (Early!)

Yes everyone, my "all-new" Chromebook, has come home, ahead of schedule!
It was suppose to come on the 10th/11th of December of 2014, but arrived on the 5th instead, at around 4:30 PM Mountain time. I'm not opening the box til next week, as I do not wish to ruin the suspense so soon!

Ah now, ya wondering which Chromebook we talking about here? That'd be, This One! In other words, the:

Acer - 11.6" Chromebook - Intel Celeron - 2GB Memory - 16GB eMMC Flash Memory - Moonstone White
    Model: CB3-111-C8UB
SKU: 8610161

For now, until I "reveal" what that "Portal Post" up there has behind its mirror, if you have any Chrome Browser/Chrome OS/Chromevox questions, comments, or complaints about me even    recieving a Chrome device for my birthday/Christmas, sound off here!

Attention

Please keep your Chrome talk within this thread, so I don't have to run around tracking similar topics on here, especially once I reveal what is behind that mirror!

And with that, Chrome away everyone!

2014-12-06 13:14:51 (edited by defender 2014-12-06 13:17:01)

ewhwhwh!  you got the 2gb? awh'. duuuude, no, you didn't! You can't have...
sad

Everything I've ever read anywhere said that with chromebooks and chromeboxs, if it's not 3gb or more, your going to have a shit time of it, and, Acer? lord all mighty!  King of laptops put together like a preschool project, with lots of glue, staples, and styrophoam, and I've heard horrifying, blood kirtling stories from the few survivers of Acer customer service, cursed be it's fowl name apon my lips!  And they were never the same man, never the same again.

I guess it does depend on what your using it for, but I've heard that even daily operation is a bitch with 2gb, but things change with chromebooks all the time because they are now so popular, and I do understand there being no real point in paying as much for a chromebook as you could for a real laptop for the higher end ones.  But still...  I pray for your sole.

I am interested to hear how it goes though.

2014-12-06 13:43:57

Hi.

I don't know much about these kind of laptops, apart from as far as I know, they're tiny, oh wait no, that's netbooks... Note to all who wish not to cramp there hands, do not buy a netbook.

I've tried cromevox on pc and honestly don't like it that much but if you can use it and like it, that's cool.

I have a question, why buy a crome book when you could buy a high end or normal specked laptop?

I'm gone for real :)

2014-12-06 16:01:41

Ah, lets answer ya boys in one go, shall we?

The Acer Chrome 11, is part of the  3rd generation of Chromebooks. It depends on how many tabs ya have open, and I normally only have 2 or 3 tabs opened at any given time. A lot of The best reviews ya gonna find, are on Amazon, and do read the comments if there are any! Quite a helpful community there.

By the way, for a fanless  laptop that's $149 on Cyber Monday, when the Acer CB 11 is normally $200, that's a deal not worth passing up! And its certainly a good deal, if you are replacing an almost 8 year old D630 Del  laptop. (Even though its got GNU/Linux on it now...)

For you geeks out there, no that book will not be having  Crouton on it, nor Windows 8 , not even Windows 7!
I'm using it, as how  it was originally intended.

If ya don't like,/or never used Emacs before, Chromevox wil not feel right to ya. Though truly, once ya learn it, its quite easy to stick with it!

Some Trivia For Ya

Though that "Shark" of a screen reader claims to be the "first" to have Built-in Math ML support on the web, (or everything else for that matter,) Google implemented Math ML support over a "year" ago! Care to hear a Demonstration from Google themselves?

And although I haven't decided if I'll do an unboxing yet, here's a You Tuber doing one himself, which currently is the only "real" unboxing for this particular Chromebook.

Hope all the above info's helpful!

2014-12-06 20:08:34 (edited by defender 2014-12-06 20:46:48)

I'd love if you would do an unboxing, I forget if your blind but either way, it would be really nice to have it from the point of view of someone that understands at least what blind people may want to know about it, I mean, regular unboxing videos are okay but they don't explain how it looks in a way that's very easy to understand, not most of the time, plus, unboxing videos are incredibly useful for showing to other interested people, even a recording with out video would be fine, and it doesn't have to be on anything more special than a phone, for instance.

It's okay if you don't for what ever reason, I'll still obviously be interested in the stuff you post but it'd be nice to have first impressions in audio and a longer write up in text, you know?  Lots of article writers do that kind of thing and it works well, at least I think...

Also yeah I sorta thought that may be why you got the Acer, because of the cyber Monday sail, and Brad, I don't much like netbooks either, at least the keyboards, and sometimes lack of periferals and often ethernet as well, though apple has standard sized keyboards even on the 11 inch, and some models from other brands manage it really well so it doesn't feel weird, but I like most other things about them which is why it's so sad that they died completely so fast, then came back with the mac book air and of course then everyone had to compete with them, then the mildly silly ultrabooks took over and you barely get any netbooks any more, least of all good ones with an SSD, or at least a bit more ram and a processor that's made for running anything but pong.

Also, I watched that unboxing and, I'm pleasantly surprised about the 802.11AC, though I doubt it's dual band, and the USB 3.0 port, but I've got to say, I doubt that SSD is any faster than just good enough to be instantly snappy for almost all small tasks, so transfer speeds won't be quite so excellent as you may think with USB 3, though still probably quite fast, then again, the bigger stuff would be on the cloud, too...  So that means downloading, then transfering, also this thing doesn't come with ethernet I think, kind of disappointing, like I get it, it's a big old port in the way and it doesn't look that fancy, but they already have room for an extra USB 2.0, and I'm tired of manufacturers presuming that there will always be a working wireless signal with the right strength that you have secure access too at any location that you may use your computer at any given time.  No disk drive sure that makes perfect sense for this kind of computer, but not no ethernet, it's not just for stable connections on servers...  Also the SD thing? well I guess that's just 2 different ways of thinking, Acer thinks, why make more room inside, put the thing in, transfer, pop it back out but others are saying, put the sd in, leave it in, save things to it and only take it out sometimes, so have it flush, like my camera, also google probably considered the large copacity SD's and said, hell no! to people using that for deticated storage aposed to google drive...
I hate Celeron, first because it sounds like celifain, second because everyone knows it's simply the most obvious version of, slap the bare minimum newer components onto a shitty old processor that sucked even in it's own day to half assedly update it, give it a new model designation that's got a high letter and number combination compared to other products in the line to impress people, and call it new, but at least it does have a higher clock rate than I would have expected especially for the price, then again, that could be overcompinsation, and pentium and celeron do heat up fast, especially with no fan and that heat conducting plastic, unless, that's something else they did, rap it in some 3 cent thermal paste?
Hey what ever works I guess, I just hope it's not junk in a year, but what ever they did with these, it was a smart way to get rid of useless old CPUs.

Either way that's a hole lot for 150 or even 200 dollars, especially considering all the applications google has to offer, accessible or no, the HDMI 1.4 port and faster WiFi and transfering, long battery life, portability, and snappy response.

2014-12-06 20:57:45

Alrighty then, will certainly try and do one.
It won't be the first blind Chrome device user who has done a podcast on it, though David W. in This podcast, did this podcast with a Samsung Chromebook, back in May of 2013. Prior to that during  the week of July 7th, 2011, "Sero Talk" had Mike K. on, doing a Podcast on an "earlier" Samsung Chromebook, with actual demonstration. While the Podcast 2 weeks earlier, Mike K. only "talks" about it, no demonstrating.

2014-12-06 21:08:16

I'm thinking of a ChromeBox, actually. No point in over-investing.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-12-06 22:41:43

For those who never heard of a Chromebox, think of them like a Mac Mini, though much cheaper, smaller, and of course running Chrome OS, instead of Mac OS. Info about one of the "newer" Chrome Boxes can be found here , this particular box being made by Asus, for $179.

In addition to the Chromebook laptops and the Chromebox desktops, a "big brother" has come along from "Living Good," called the "Chromebase" , which comes along with a keyboard, 22 inch monitor, keyboard and mouse, all in one package.

2014-12-07 01:48:24

Chrome Security Tips

For those of ya on Windows, and wish to have a "more sicure Chrome experience out of the box, ya may wish to look at Comodo Dragon. Warning: Do to how Dragon protects you within the browser, Chromevox ain't gonna work well... You can navigate through Dragon's menus, and interact with the Omnibox/location bar, but that's about it. Any specific browser interaction is intercepted. Dragon works fine with NVDA however. The above was teested of course, while I ws living in the "Windows" world.

For Chromies on any Chrome supported platform, who are "extremely" paranoid with their browsing, or who want a nice pack of extensions to check out, have a look at the [url=http://lifehacker.com/lifehacker-pack-for-chrome-our-list-of-essential-chrom-880863393]Security
Lifehacker Pack for Chrome: Our List of the Essential Extensions.[/url] In that list, there's a section on "Security," where the famous "Adblock Plus" is among that list. However, most Chromies are now instead using the Adblock extension from getadblock.com/ , as "Adblock Plus" wishes to keep some ads unblocked by default do to "sponsorship."

As a bonus, don't wish to deal with Flash content anymore, have a look at the FlashControl extension.

2014-12-07 02:46:22

hi Trenton goldshark.
first let me tell you I admire you very much and I consider you a super intelligent person ...

your posts are always super interesting and very well informed with links to take us the sources of information ...
I like the way you do things ...
this time in relation to the topic on the chrome OS book, I was super interested in the chrome OS.
pleases me a lot to know that the system offers us accessibility created native on system ...
in this case for us blind the screen reader chrome vox.
I would like to ask you some questions if you can answer ...
1. you  know if the accessibility in chrome OS and chrome voxhas been updated. since the year 2011 until the year 2014?
2. the system only has the voice native in English, or brings several voices for each language depending on the country?
for example:
I'm from Portugal and if I buy a chrome book in Portugal will have a native voice to Portuguese or do not have that chance?

the chrome OS system only has a standard voice to English?

3. google took this commitment seriously to continue to innovate and upgrade accessibility in
system, or just to disappoint as it has done apple in the last times...
4. there are some serious problems at this point in chrome vox on navigation system?
5. the stability of the screen reader in the system is good or there are problems of instability?

for now those are my questions to convince me to buy a chrome book and use the vox chrome in the system ...
I liked the system and all I heard ...
I'm waiting to hear a super demo  made by you.

I know and I'm sure you  will do it with great competence.

I'm waiting to hear news  from you!

a big hug for you trenton goldshark.
cheers.

2014-12-07 03:51:15 (edited by queenslight 2014-12-07 04:18:00)

Greetings,

You're very welcome. Shall answer your questions in ascending order:

1. You can read the latest release notes  on Chromevox here , though new features may have been added since those notes were last updated. I'll be able to give ya a more detailed answer once I begin my Chromebook journey sometime this week.
2. As of this writing, US and UK Google TTS voices are the only ones I know which actually speak. Again, will test to be sure once I begin my journey.
3. The Chrome  team is more receptive to feedback and helpful than the Android team, thus more actually gets done. At least, that's my experience when comparing  discussions from there respective Google Groups.
4. There are 3 keyboards you can choose from at this time:

A. Classic
B. Flat
C. Experimental

Though you can switch to the "Flat" layout, (which "somewhat" emulates how "most" screen readers work with navigating), the "Chromevox Tutorial" uses the "Classic" layout, and has the "least" amount of keystroke conflicts.
5. Stability with Chromevox on Chrome OS, again I'l test once I begin my journey. At least when I used Windows with it back in the day via its Chrome Extension, if you didn't have enough ram, or if ya had CV plus another screen reader running, it most likely would have either frozen for a moment then pick back up after 10 seconds or so, or your PC would have became slow enough, that you'd have to shut down the browser, then reopen it. Having too many tabs opened, and how much ram you have, (especially for non Chrome OS devices,) is a major factor in how responsive CV is, as a whole.

Hopefully the answers helped, will get back to ya in here once I can answer those questions I could not at this time.

I thank you for your interest in Chrome OS!

2014-12-07 04:16:50 (edited by queenslight 2014-12-07 06:46:16)

Chrome Tip

For any Chrome questions I or another Chromi can't answer here directly, do please post your question within the AxS Chrome Discuss Google Group. You can alternatively post your questions/feedback the Accessible Google Group. The Google Access team hangs out on both, though AxS Chrome deals strictly with the Google Chrome family.

2014-12-07 06:00:47

hi Trenton.
man I'm fascinated with the chrome OS system.
just now I finish  seeing all the podcasts from the sources of topic and I loved it!
man the accessibility team of the chrome vox working very seriously and very competent at what they do ...
4 things that I not know:
1. VOX chrome supports touch screen?

2. chrome book has touch screen monitor?
3. if there is no voice engine into my language, can I install other voices in the system?
4. There is some more another chrome book hardware model with greater capacity?

for example:
4GB of RAM and 128gb SSD FLASH.
now time to go read the chrome vox guide and understand what has changed in four years.
Trenton thanks for having given me to know this system and its native accessibility in the system out of the box.
thanks.
cheers.

2014-12-07 06:32:57

waw, good news.
thanks for answering.
ok I will sign in this groups.
  now time to read the latest release notes on ChromeVox
thanks Trenton.
cheers.

2014-12-07 06:43:57 (edited by queenslight 2014-12-07 06:47:14)

Hi,

For Question 3 dealing with voices, unless your language is apart of the Google TTS family, or there is a voice for your specific language within the Chrome Web Store that can be installed on to a Chrome OS device, I'm afraid you "can not" do so.
For Question 2, I won't even "assume" that you can use Chromevox on a "touch screen" Chrome device, as my Acer Chromebook 11, is not a touch screen model. Though I will test Chromevox with the "Touch Pad" and wil get back with ya unless someone else chimes in first.
For questions 1 and 4, best place to go to find your answer, is via the Chromebook - Devices on Google Play site. Link above may take ya to the "USA" Google Play Store, unless it "redirects" you to the correct version for your country. If not, please let me know, and I'll try to find your country's Play Store.

2014-12-07 08:32:11

hi Trenton.
I dont  have no chrome book.
but I will buy one very soon, I'm expected to come to Portugal the toshiba model.
I thought all chrome book models, had touch monitor.
but if they do not touch monitor no problem ...
I do not know if the marks of the models benefit or hinder accessibility.
such as in android devices.
yes  my country is Portugal.
Trenton please do me a favor friend.
I did my registration at affordable chrome group with the link you send  me, filled the data and then complete ...
but have received no confirmation ...
please can you give me the address  group to me subscribe?
thanks for helping me on this journey ...
cheers.

2014-12-07 08:52:13

Hi there,

The direct email address for the group, is:
[email protected]

You're very welcome.

2014-12-07 09:05:48

Trenton, thanks, but I wanted to for subscribe.

this group does not have the address for subscribe?
if the two groups have address to subscribe, please send to me friend.

thanks.
cheers.

2014-12-07 09:25:22

The address I shared above, can also be used for subscribing. That, is when you should  recieve a "Welcome" mesage, if one was made. I do not use Google Groups via email, but via its web interface. Your message should automagically go through, if successful. If not, your first message may have to be approved by a moderator, which happens to "all" people.

2014-12-07 10:06:18

trenton, thanks friend.
cheers.

2014-12-07 15:50:08

You're very welcome, all of ya!
smile

2014-12-07 16:06:32

Hi friend Trenton.
I already made the subscriptions of the two ways, but still have not received nothing  of the groups.
1. I did online.
2. I did with the address of the group.
I am looking forward to join the group, I need to ask a few questions but I couldn't get in...
thanks friend Trenton
cheers.

2014-12-07 19:33:17

Hi
Trenton. This is the model that I want to buy.
what do you think of this model?
take advice.
can you tell me if the chrome books is only 2GB ram and 16GB SSD?
everyone I saw only has these descriptions.
I  wanted to buy a more powerful...
4GB ram, and 64GB SSD.

Toshiba sb
• 13.3 "screen (maximum resolution 1366×768)
• CPU: Intel Celeron 2955u @ 1.4GHz
if graphics card: Intel HD
• ram: 2 GB SSD drive
• 16 GB
• 2 x USB 3.0
• card reader SD
• HDMI out
Toshiba _ 07

and, according to Toshiba, the battery has a battery for 9 hours.

thanks.

2014-12-07 21:03:45 (edited by queenslight 2014-12-07 21:16:04)

Hmmm.
Looks like, This may be the one you're wanting. The below info, is from "Amazon" USA:

Toshiba CB35-B3340 13.3-Inch Chromebook 2 (Full-HD Screen)
by Toshiba

Price:     $386.99 & FREE Shipping
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by BUY TAX FREE.
Arrives before Christmas

Intel Celeron Processor Screen Size    13.3 inches
Max Screen Resolution    1920x1080 pixels
Processor    2.16 GHz Intel Celeron
RAM    4 GB DDR3L SDRAM
Graphics Coprocessor    Intel HD graphics
Wireless Type    802.11 A/C
Number of USB 2.0 Ports     1
Number of USB 3.0 Ports     1
Average Battery Life (in hours)     9 hours

Other Technical Details
Brand Name    Toshiba
Series    Toshiba Chromebook 2 CB35-B3340
Item model number    PLM02U-009008
Operating System    Chrome
Item Weight    3 pounds
Item Dimensions L x W x H    12.60 x 8.40 x 0.76 inches
Color     silver
Processor Brand    Intel
Processor Count    1
Flash Memory Size    16.0
Batteries:    1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
As a bonus, here is a quite nice Review I found on this exact model.

BTW, it does include a "Full SD," not "Micro SD" card reader to expand memory.