2014-12-13 21:23:24

applications key.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-12-13 23:33:26 (edited by darkabomination 2014-12-13 23:38:59)

Sad to say it doesn't look possible. Again I've tried and no context menu comes up. Via the alt keys, function keys, or any other method I can think of. Basically aside from a few keyboard shortcuts that open prompts for files, nothing else gets a response.
edit: OH DAMN IT. Trolling, thy name is irony.
Got the preferences open. If you would be so kind, which section should I look for?

2014-12-14 09:18:49

lol. How did you finally get it to work... you should be looking for subtitle processing, expand it, and then go to multisub / etc. Then tab around and you'll find the list of tabs. Text to speech is the one you want. Did you get a chance to listen to that clip?

2014-12-15 00:18:24 (edited by darkabomination 2014-12-15 00:21:47)

Yes, I did notice differences in the clip.
Alright, got that settled.
Now not sure how it's supposed to work. I mean, seems simple enough, it'll need an srt subtitle file and video to go along with it, but not how it works in practice. Also hope there's a way to use screen readers other than Sappi. If not, I'll get used to it I'm sure.
As for getting it to work, I reconfigured my keyboard layout to laptop, and holding the function key while using the f keys gets it working.

2014-12-15 09:25:44

Ah gotcha. And for terms of practice, all you have to download the anime you want, whever you can find it, torrents and other sites included. The other option is find subtitled anime with mkv file formats, which will then read automatically, but will be a little glitchy since it will sometimes read the subtitle more than once. For subtitles as srt files, you can also find them from various subtitle databases online by themselves, and you'd just have to download the anime, then rename the files to match each other.

2014-12-15 18:18:05

Finding mkv material isn't hard. Still not working though.
I've set KM to read the movie subtitle option, didn't check any other boxes as instructed. Having to use the default Microsoft tts voice. I play the mkv in KM, and... nothing.
SO I'm highly skeptical this'll work at all.

2014-12-15 19:46:16

Does anyone know a website where I can watch the yugioh dub.?  I've looked everywhere: Netflix, Hulu, and even YouTube. Any help would be  appreciated.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-12-15 20:11:29

Watchcartoononline has what your looking for. Most dubbed anime are on there under the anime dubbed section.

2014-12-15 22:26:46

Does the MKV file specifically list that it has English subtitles? Because it should work... I have no problems with it.

2014-12-15 22:43:17

I'm still finding using the subtitles to be very frustrating, because it keeps repeating the same one, sometimes three times and ends up getting behind the dialogue, when it's faster paced. Assault Freak, do you know where I might find Japanese transcripts for any anime series? It should be easier to read along that way. I found a site with english transcripts, but their collection is far from complete for most series, unfortunately.

2014-12-16 00:32:17

Nope. I've never found transcripts of anime.. at least, none that are reliable. If you can, find external srt subtitles to match the anime file names... because it reads those better. I think it's something to do with the internal subtitles that a lot of mkv files use. But now that the possibility is there, I wish someone would take this further... pity no blind programmers make video / media players. This would be a great feature to research.

2014-12-16 04:03:26

Finally, there we go! It's... far from perfect, but I've found already you can just pause the video until it's done glitching and it'll catch up with the section.
Any way the tts voice can be changed? As I've said I'll put up with it if I have to.

2014-12-16 08:10:24

The same tab where you check the box to read subtitles, there are controls for volume and speech rate, as well as voices. so it all comes down to what voices you have in stalled. though as I said earlier, I wish someone would take this feature further.

2014-12-16 08:41:51

Here's another dub comparison. this is from a video game, not strictly an anime, but I figure since we were on the subject of japanese vs. english dubs, I'd share this anyway. This is a video game dub comparison of onimusha 3. Not all dubs are this bad, of course... this is just one that I'd thought I'd share because it's funny. The english dub sounds like the two men fighting are doing much more adult-rated things to each other. lol
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/339 … arison.mp3

2014-12-16 09:59:44

Video games have the unfortunate disadvantage of mostly having the voiced lines being presented in random and out of context. The limits on lip animations just make it all the harder. My heart goes out to the work that goes into these, particularly the higher quality games.
I do know the options for voices for tts. The problem is I don't see any way to add voices to the default tts.

2014-12-16 10:11:46

you shouldn't have to... there should just be a list of all the voices you have installed. Keep in mind that the ones installed with JAWS for free are just that, for JAWS and nothing else. lol As to dubs in video games, I don't know if that's true... I'm not quite sure what you mean by the voiced lines being presented out of context. From what I've read, video games especially those made in Japan have just as much effort put into the voicework as your typical anime, and especially in CG animated scenes, the voiced dialog is all properly done.

2014-12-16 21:36:28

I don't know where to get voices, basically. I just have the Microsoft default for TTS. I use NVDA, not Jaws.
As for the out of context thing, in all video game dubs no matter the language, the script is dealt out in bits and pieces. Your given a single line, perhaps a little description of it's context if it's particularly dramatic, and you move on. Unless it's something with a ridiculous amount of cutscenes like Metal Gear, in which they made an exception.
That's just about the only one, even huge games like the Mass Effect trilogy were done line by line, probably because VA work is payed in the time it takes to read a line.

2014-12-16 21:41:08

I think I get what you mean, but nevertheless that doesn't make up reasons for worse dub jobs. Speaking of Metal Gear... the English dub was every bit as good as the original, and so are many other Japanese games I've played. But some games, like the onimusha series and most fighting games, just have very bad dubs for one reason or another. As to voices, I'm not sure where you can get them without paying that isn't illegal... lol.

2014-12-16 23:56:57

Bleh, guess I'm stuck with MS Anna. Better than nothing I guess.

2014-12-17 02:23:54

For my self, most anime is frustraiting to watch.  I have some sight so I can see the movement on the screen, but not enough to tell what is actually happening.  Also I haven't learned any language other English.  Because of this I have been drown to shows that are: 1. dubed in English, and 2. use a fair amount of dialog.  My favorite of these is the digimon series sofar in it's sixth season, and viewtiful joe, a show based on one of my favorite games.  Yu-gi-oh is actually good (at least the original series is ), but the rest of the shows mentioned in this topic don't sound that interesting to me.

Want to order food, but can't get out? Try this .
https://postmat.es/Tw5eUTrBn4

2014-12-17 07:19:57

I think part of it is that not a lot of plot has actually been discussed... mostly about translation and dubbing, and not much about the shows themselves. Having to watch series that are dubbed only does make things a little frustrating.. I remember how that felt before I learned Japanese. But with KM player, that isn't really a problem anymore.. as to having enough sight to see thescreen, I'm a total but I find the sounds in anime are usually so dramatic and obvious it isn't hard to guess what's going on in conjunction with the dialog. lol

2014-12-17 20:07:36

I don't quite agree with your stance on dubs, but that I do. Anime tends to be well... enthusiastic about it's sfx and musical cues.
Even without KM, there's a truly staggering amount of great anime out there. You got your melodramatic shoujo romances, your testosterone-drenched shonan action adventure, gritty science fiction like Ghost in the Shell or Psychopass, Magical Girls and their girly badassness, your romantic comedies that are a dime a dozen, relaxed and upbeat slice of life affairs, the breathtaking films from Studio Ghibly that rival some of Disney's best... what newcomers don't understand I think is anime just isn't a gimmick. It's a medium to itself and not giving any anime a chance is like never watching a single cartoon for all the myriad genres and styles.

2014-12-17 20:17:12

I'm assuming you meant my last post. what I meant was that there are limits to only watching shows that are dubbed... because that lessens the librarily significantly. But I agree though... even without the KM player there are tons of shows out there that are watchable and fantastic. I don't have anything opposed to a good dub, I just haven't found many of them... maybe I should try and be a little less of a purist about it. lol

2014-12-17 20:18:44

Sorry for the double post... but I forgot to say that I agree with your statement about not giving anime a chance like not watching a single cartoon as wel as all the genres you listed.

2014-12-19 18:56:52

@Assault Freak. Question: You wouldn't happen to know how to switch audio traks in KM would you?
A show I have has only been encoded as a duel audio release with both tracks. Which is fine, I'll watch the dub they have fine enough, it's serviceable. Can't figure out how to have it play the Japanese audio track.
Thanks.