2014-12-01 15:10:36

The rules:

A topic for casual discussions of anything and everything, life, the universe, the number 42 what games your playing, what films you've seen, how university/work/school is going etc.

Just relax and say hi.

Yes, I thought a return of this topic would be good, particularly sinse it's the festive season with Christmas, Hannica, Winter Solstice etc going on.

I must confess not much to report from me, I've mainly this morning been listening to Dr. who audios and sorting mail while trying to get a John Rutter accompanyment sinse I've been asked to do a carol thingy for a church next week. 

I also had to ring Humanware, sinse annoyingly the usb lead for my new Victor has died on me, (it's never stayed in the machine quite right and this morning it just decided to stop working), but humanware are sending out another one. I just hope it's the usb lead, and not the machine sinse while Humanware will replace it it'd be something of a pest. A shame I obviously got sent a modle with a dicky lead, though at least Humanware are very good about replacements.
It is definitely winter! and I actually approve, I rather enjoy winter even down to the grey skies and rain and sleet, though snow up north where I am can be something of a pest, ---- it's pretty for the first couple of days, but the longer it stays the less pretty it gets and the more annoying, ---- I remember one year when my heating bust, I was literally stuck inside sinse with nearly two foot of snow using a cane was a bad idea, and things got so cold the stuff in my fridge froze!

I even had to stick my hands under a blanket to have my fingers warm enough to type. Fortunately we've not had any snow yet and my heating system is working fine.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-12-01 18:53:58

Well, as for myself there are many things going on this month. Hopefully if things go well this month will be better than the rest of the year has been.

First, my divorce hearing is scheduled for December 4. If there are no more delays I should be able to have my final custody hearing regarding my son, and with that out of the way my soon to be ex and I can sign the paperwork and get this divorce over with. I'm ready to move on with my life and put an end to this farce of a marriage.

Besides that I have a number of things planned dealing with the holidays. One of them is the Nashville Lights. By Nashville I am talking about a small town here in Ohio called Nashville Ohio not the Nashville in ?Tennessee known for country music. Nashville Ohio is known all over the world for its Christmas lights display which is amazing to see. Amazing because the farmers in the area string miles of lights and setup decorations in their fields such as statues of Santa, all the reign deer, Christmas statues of cartoon characters like Charley Brown and Snoopy, as well as inflatable snowmen, etc. Basically, there is a lot to see as it goes on and on for miles. Even though I personally can't see it I like to go anyway because I like to listen to the singing and Christmas music as well as have someone describe the display to me each year.

Besides that I may optionally go slay riding. I'm not sure how much that will cost but there are some farmers in the area who own slays and offer slay rides for a small fee. That's always fun, and that will depend on how much cash I have, weather or not I'll be getting my son for the holidays, and weather or not the temperature is not super cold this year.

In any case I've already put my tree up, and have decorated it. I picked up a Christmas train at the store a few days back and have put it under the tree where it goes around with little elves sawing logs, pounding on things, running little pumps, and it plays Christmas carols like Santa Clause is Coming to Town, Jingle Bells, and Deck the Halls.

So that is basically where I am so far as far as I know. I'll probably had more to this thread once I know more or do more this month.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-12-01 21:43:11

Hi,
Not too much to report acept that I'm looking forward to the Christmas season, getting cards and presents ready, etc.
@tom: I hope things work out in your favor. It'd be cool  for your son to experience all the Christmas displays with you, also, slay riding! That sounds really quite cool.

2014-12-02 00:46:07 (edited by Exodus 2014-12-02 00:46:50)

I've meant to jump into one of these threads but college work has been piling up on me.When I've not been doing that I've been restoring an electric guitar, in this case a 1980 westbury  deluxe. These were very under rated at the time and now people are realizing there true value. This particular guitar was found languishing in the loft of the house that my friend moved into a couple of months ago. The poor thing was in quite a sorry state but I've just about got it back into playing condition.  I can't wait to play the thing tbh. How is everyone feeling about christmas shopping. Naturally I haven't even started mines and I'm not looking forward to it one bit. tongue

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2014-12-02 12:05:19

@Tom, I hope the devorce finishes as smoothly as is possible for these sorts of things. I don't know why, but a lot of people seem to have had a rather bad time in 2014 (myself included), hopefully next year will be better.

I'm quite jealous of that display in Nashville, I love lights   sinse with my limited vision they're one thing I can definitely appreciate. As I believe I said in the other thread my parents have a small bungalow in Skegnesse, a little seaside town famous for their illuminations running right across the beach and down the streets of the town, they also have great christmas lights though possibly less than in nashville if your correct on them going on for miles.

I  have only been slay riding once when i was in Austria, because in Britain even when it does snow, odds are the snow is usually too wet to be good for anything serious. That was definitely nice as far as it went, particularly being up in the alps, though doing it at christmas would be a different vibe.

My parents have lights and the tree up around the house, and over the past few nights we've been listening to orchestral cds of christmas carols (and commenting on how good the singing is), which has been fun.

Regarding crimbo shopping, well part of the problem I always have is most of my friends, and very much my brother are notoriously hard to buy presents fo, sinse they have such specific interests, and one annoying fact about lacking eyeballs is not being able to wander into shops and just glance at what they have, but having to decide before hand, which is often not so easy.

@Exodus, glad you found this thread, I'm always impressed at people who make musican instruments, especially the string ones because of all the fine tuning in quite the literal sense.

Well last night I couldn't sleep so played the Ensign all night, which then assured! that I didn't sleep until about half past five, very good game, (once I got past the initial spate of instant deaths), but quite the time eater. I had the same thing with A dark room last year so I suppose I should've expected it, still it was nice to have a game grab my interest so completely.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-12-03 03:47:14

Tward, I hope the custody hearing goes well. Courts unfairly lean towards the mother in many cases, and I hope you get the shot you deserve.

Dark, keep that heating going! It got into the negative temps here last year, and I can't imagine being in a house with absolutely no heat. We'd be making a blanket fort and cuddling up to the dogs for sure.

I love the winter. There's something about the growing darkness which can be depressing, but also comforting. As an adult, I feel like I spend the last weeks of the month trying to make a spark of Christmas magic, trying to make the holiday as beautiful as it was when I was little. Maybe my boyfriend's mom will wait for us to get there this year to put up the tree. Assembling the tree, candles burning, a Pandora Christmas station on in the background, and Mexican hot chocolate simmering away.

I've gotten involved in a church group. I'm not a religious person. I feel like I should defend that statement by saying it's a very liberal sort of place. It's house church, which means we don't have a building. We meet in members' homes, eat dinner, and discuss verses. What did it mean when it was written? What should it mean? Does it mean anything for us today? Do you think it's a bunch of BS? Ask questions. Challenge faith. Find your own meaning in the words.
I don't consider myself a Christian, but I am spiritual. I like to use it as a philosophy inner peace finding service. Anyway, we're bottling our home made communion wine next week and singing carrols. Everyone is bringing something to drink, and given how much alcohol we drink as a church...
Did I mention that part of the group is going on a brewery tour this Saturday? Haha, I love Jesus.

The community college where I tutor ends the semester on Friday. I'm glad of the break, because community college is a rough environment in which to teach. At the same time, I'll miss that paycheck. I'm still searching for a job with more than five sparatic hours per week.

So string up your Christmas lights. Get those Tardis ones from Thinkgeek. Open the cider, and put on some music.

What are some other people's favorite parts or traditions of the holiday season?

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2014-12-03 13:46:26

Well, a slight update to my prior post. Yesterday I went shopping and while out I managed to pick up some Lifesaver flavored candy canes. Like the Lifesavers candy they had cherry, pineapple, watermelon, and orange flavored candy canes. I've only eaten one so far, but they are delicious. I'd highly recommend them for something different for your holiday season.

In addition to the candy canes I have gotten some other holiday related snacks. Some sugar cookies that look like little snowmen, and I'm about to eat some cranberry flavored muffins. So Food wise this December is getting off to a tasty start.

Dark, as for people having a bad time I know a lot of people who have had a bad year too. I'm not sure why but 2014 just hasn't been a good year for anyone. There is of course me and my divorce, a couple of friends of mine have been in the hospital due to  medical issues, and other people I know have had an especially bad year for other reasons. That is why I am determined to try and make this month a good one since I'd like to see this year end on a good note for a change.

As for shopping for people who are notorious to buy for I've been there. My soon to be ex-wife's family were all like that. I'd wander the stores a while trying to think of a Christmas gift they might possibly like that wouldn't end up getting stuffed in a closet out of sight and out of mind or that wouldn't get given away at the first opportunity. At some point a person can only buy so many generic gifts like house slippers, shirts, shaving kits, etc before gift giving is probably going to be boring and unexciting for the person being given to because it was impossible to buy something they'd really and truly enjoy. Unfortunately, some people are just that way and I'm not creative enough to come up with gifts that are both generic and would not be utilitarian in nature.

However, I whole heartedly agree the problem with lacking eyes is we can not just walk into a shop and browse for ideas. We can't look at the displays of gifts on sale at the front of the store or glance through a sales flyer. Although, the internet does help somewhat in that regard as most of the major US stores like Walmart and Target do have websites which helps us browse the stores virtually and find out what items are on sale or will be going on sale. One only need go to the actual store and pick it up, or we can order direct from the website. In any case shopping online is a great equalizer.

Cinnamon, you are right. It seems 9 out of every 10 cases the courts decides in favor of the mom. That's just how things are, I know it, and all I can do is hope to get some sort of equal custody and visitation with my son. If my ex had her way I'd have no contact at all with my son period so even getting standard visitation would be an improvement over what she wants and is fighting for. In my personal case I think its a case for fight for full custody and settle for something less which might be mutually be amenable.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2014-12-03 15:20:00

Hi,
@tward: ouch. no contact at all? That's just... ouch.
@sinamon: wow, I didn't know thinkgeek did Tardis lights. I'm wondering how much of their stuff has UK distributors such as amazon and such? I know a couple of products from there are on there, but I think thinkgeek need to give the sellers permission for some of the more exclusive items.

2014-12-03 17:49:39

@Tom, I'm sorry to hear about the custody issue, unfortunately Cinnamon has a point on this, it's another area where sexism towards men is common, and especially surrounding something so intrinsically difficult anyway that's not good, i do hope it works out. I don't know what has been up with this year, it just seems generally cursed for everyone including myself.

Unfortunately, in the Uk a couple of main supermarkits have managed to bugger the access on their websites, I used to regularly order from Asda until they managed to wonderfully remake their site with inaccessible flash controls. With present shopping I tend to usually go somewhere with parents and see what happens, sinse often it's something unexpected that crops up.

Then again it's not all bad, a friend of mine lives at the other end of the country in Winchester, but for the last couple of years I've been able to buy her some of the choiceofgames as christmas presents on Ios. Sinse she's got an intensive interest in both writing and programming, they suted her extremely well.

@Cinnamon those Tardis lights sound cool! particularly because Doctor who has had it's christmas moments, from the original first doctor's wishing everyone a happy christmas in the middle of The Dalek's master plan, to the specials that the bbc cchurns out on Christmas day (heck the 10th Doctor's first story was called the Christmas invasion). Sadly these have gone down hill as much as the rest of Doctor who currently, particularly sinse in an effort to be festive they have even less plot than usual. That being said Big Finish have done some very nice christmas releases, usually commical adventures for the Doctor or on one occasion the 8th Doctor meeting his grand daughter for christmass on post Dalek invasion earth, which are as generally great in quality as most of bf's stuff so it's not all bad.

@Cinnamon I agree about winter. I particularly like being inside and listening to the rain or snow on the window, especially in the dawn when the sky isn't quite light although as I said snow can get past the point of pretty to the point of being pretty irritating! big_smile. Right now though there isn't any snow, just very cold wind!
Regarding what I like about christmas, well lots of things really. The grub is always nice, although the only christmas thing I've had thus far was some leiben cuken some German gingerbread and chocolate biscuits that only get sold at christmas time which a friend of mine bought. I do like the lights, I also appreciate some of the music,indeed my mum has just booked tickits for us to see the carol concert in Nottingham where one of the local brass bands and a choire get together to do a performance which is always fun, and usually includes all the things you'd expect, over the past couple of years I've also met a friend of mine to go and see the new hobbit film and have a meal and we're doing that next week. I'm doing a couple of charity singing type things myself, one for a local church's old folks group, although annoyingly I have to work from backing tracks sinse I don't have my own pianist so what I can do is limited.

2014-12-04 05:23:56

Hi Everyone,

I decided to visit the AudioGames forum after a day full of intense studying for my classes. This is just a short break. No procrastination here. lol
This topic caught my interest, and decided to write a little bit about how my life is going so far this year.
Firstly, I want to say I'm sorry to those who aren't having that great of a year. I sincerily hope things improve over time.
I can't believe we're approaching Christmas again. I am a big fan of the holiday season! Unfortunately, I live in Texas in the United States, and I am located in an area that hardly gets any winter season at all. Currently, the most that can be considered cold weather is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Not cold enough, right?
As for me, life is perfect! Well, almost.
I graduated high school, got hired by a company named Pearson as a programmer for one of their projects, started attending a university, adjusted nicely, and I'm scheduled to finish all of my final exams by December 11. Therefore, I will have a full month to myself. Although, my plans are to go with my parents to Mexico to visit some family. The "almost" stems from the fact that I am taking quite a bit of classes, and as a result, I have papers, projects, etc due by the class's corresponding final date. On the side, I'm recording an introductory podcast to the Raspberry Pi single board computer that I'm planning to send off to some of the blind tech podcast networks. Also, I recently finished watching Lost. I have to say, it was an interesting show.
Oh, I almost forgot, I attended the NFB national convention! Can you believe it? A friend and I decided that we wanted to go, planned everything ahead of time, and took off on a plane from Texas to Florida. An 18 year old and a 19 year old on an adventure without the parents. It was so fun!
In a nutshell, those are some of the major highlights of this year for me. Now off to study some more. Here I come Political Science!

2014-12-05 11:55:36

Wow kaigoku congrads! that all sounds awesome, it sounds like your making your self a bright future on more than 1 front.

Also, tward, holy crap I want a train like that!
And I too, hope it goes well for you, I personally think that unless the mother can prove that the father did something criminal and could endanger the child, of course with plenty of things at her disposal such as witnesses so that even if it can't be proven it could be shown from reliable non bias sources who know that if they lie and get found out they are in a world of hurt, that she can't file for no contact, that's selfish, petty and moronic.

And of course this is vice versa as well, though it doesn't come up as much, if the kid is going to automatically be given to the mother on principal, which is hard to argue against fare or no since the only other option is CPS, then there needs to be locks in place to prevent abuse of that privallege.

Either way I hope he gets to come for Christmas, you sound like a really awesome dad, and you know as well as me that he'll remember stuff like this fondly.

Dark! Congradulations on doing so well at the music contest!  3 seconds and a first? that's pretty cool...

2014-12-05 16:28:59

@kaigoku, as it's dam freezing up hear at the moment I don't think lack of wintry weather is such a bad thing big_smile. glad 2014 hasn't been a total disaster for everyone.

Thanks Defender. It was one of these competitive music festivals judged by a woman who was from English national opera and a Leida expert. I didn't so much go to compete as i went just for the chance to sing stuff, actually i personally found some of her decisions a little odd and not the ones I would've expected, ---- not to do with me, but for example in the unaccompanied folk class she went on  about the necessity to maintain tone without accompanyment and then gave the third place award to a chap who was quite definitely off key in certain sections, she also gave one of the musical theatre awards to a girl who had a good voice, but really shouldn't have sung somewhere over the rainbow with full operatic vibrato and diction. That is one of the nice things about the Aims music school I go to, each class is taught by people who have a distinct interest in whichever style they are teaching, ---- indeed in the Musical Theatre class I've heard the tutor encourage people away from full operatic diction and tell people to focus on the worlds and emotion instead.

Still, as I said I was more there to just get the chance to perform, and it was rather nice to sing some different things in front of an audience with a propper pianist. I particularly liked doing Master of the House from les Miserables for my Music Theatre song, while there are lots of nice ballads I could've done, why god why from mis sigon, Music of the Night from Phantom etc, I knew everyone else would do those sorts of things so thought a commic song would be a nice change instead.

2014-12-07 20:13:32

hi.
I absolutely love Christmas. here in Romania we have some wonderful traditions, I use to go to the countryside for vacation where we have a house and I go with my brother and some friends on the hills surrounding the village to slay ride, it's so fun. also, on Christmas eve we start singing carols, we try to gather as many friends as possible, usually like 20 or 30 teenagers and we go to each one's house where we sing carols, chat and drink. this usually takes around 3 nights until we visit each house. for me it's a magic time, I am always looking forward to this period of year.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2014-12-07 22:07:09

Sad to say I have come to realize the situation is worse than what Cinnamon stated. Yes, I was aware of the fact that in the large majority of cases family court sides with the mother in child custody cases, but I wasn't aware how discriminatory and prejudiced our court system is towards the blind. What I got was even less than what a normal middle aged white male would get in a similar case.

In short, my judgment was as follows. I can have supervised visitation of my son from 9 AM to 6 PM on the first and third Saturday of each month. I can have him for Christmas Eve, my birthday, and for Father's Day. All visits are to be supervised by a non-disabled adult such as one of my parents or a trusted friend of the family.

The reason I'm discouraged and upset by this judgment is that normally, were I not disabled, I would have a standard visitation from Friday night to Sunday night, every other holiday, and of course wouldn't require supervised visitations. It is obvious my blindness is being held against me and I am being discriminated against for my blindness.

I have of course been in contact with the National Federation for the Blind and the National Council for the Disabled and both agreed with me that the decision was discriminatory. Problem is it will take money to hire the right kind of attorneys to file motions on my behalf, I'll need to hire experts to testify on my behalf, and if I want any kind of standardized visitation I'll have to really fight for it because family courts are by and large prejudiced.  I found out by reading the documentation on their sites that what happened to me is quite common and basically I was ill prepared to fight a battle over my rights as a disabled person and fight my ex for custody at the same time. So as a result I got shafted.

Not to be a downer, but my Christmas holiday has just gone down the tubes as a result of that decision. All the things I had planned on doing, wanted to do, is no longer possible. I'm going to be spending most of the time alone with me, myself, and I. So I'm not sure what else to do this month given that my plans just went up in smoke.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2014-12-07 23:03:53

Wow tom that is appauling, and even more so that you cannot appeal against the decision, I can't say however I am entirely surprised. These sorts of decisions aren't so uncommon, for example once I heard of a blind mother in the states (I forget which state exactly), who was not allowed to take her newborn baby home due to the hospital declaring her an unfit parent based on her blindness, (something I found particularly ironic given my mum is  registered blind herself).

Hope you get at least some good this Christmas, though I can simpathize on the being alone thing sinse when not at my parents that is exactly where I am and have been ever sinse I moved out of colige at university and got my flat, and particularly sinse everyone I know is now married!

@Nin, carol singing in rumania sounds fun. Yesterday i did a charity concert at a local church for some old folks as part of their christmas do, that was nice and I think people enjoyed it even if the church did echo a bit much and I had to sing rather louder than expected, and even though I was still using just karioaki accompanyments and not a real pianist, still it seeme to go down wel and people enjoyed it.

this morning I went to what is called a beanbag prom with my sister and my parentss, my sister being functionally three (though actually in her  twenties). These are run by the local concert hallfor kids between 0 and 5, and are particularly good because the people who do them are always highly skilled musicians. Today of course it was the christmas one, and the performances were great, aprticularly a full orchestral version of "Be our guest" from beauty and the beast, which I particularly liked! Today i wandered around Nottingham city center with my parents which was very freezing to have a look at the christmas lights. It's at that sort of point I am glad of having even such limited vision, particularly sinse this year they actually bothered with different colours and not just all silver ones, we then went to a very nice little cafe for some extremely good carbanara and pretty extreme double chocolate gateaux!

One rather nice tradition from the north of England particularly is the amount of brass bands kicking around, sinse back in the days of the industrial revolution every village and mine would have it's own band. My mum is a huge band fan and of course christmas is a major time for performances, so we just booked a band concert with a choire, actually with the Thorsby colliary band who featured in the film Brassed off, which we'll be seeing later this month.

I'm not a choire person myself but I like to hear the performances.

In other news I just finished buffy the vampire slayer season 1 for the first time. it's odd, usually I really enjoy the world and mythos of these sorts of programs as much as the characters, but though the MAster had his moments I found the explanations of vampires, demons and prophecies over all a bit meh. On the other hand the dialogue was really witty and the characters were reat, (well apart from Angel who was a trifle flat though i suspect he has more plot later). Still, I can see why people like the series as much as they do, especially because I much prefer Buffy's response of pound on vampires with as much brutality as possible to be far more interesting than the more modern "oooooh! a vampire! how beautiful and gorgious and huggable you are! you poor tragic creature of the night!" for god's sake, what is so dam beguiling about a walking mosquito! I much prefer the Buffy approach, swat with extreme violence! big_smile.

2014-12-08 03:07:39

Hell, rofl that might have been me, if it was Oregon, both my parents are almost totally blind and independent with guide dogs and canes and the works, a unique situation to be sure but yes, CPS tried to take me away from them on more than 1 occasion, and people wonder why the American sitizans still hate the government when it isn't a third world country...  But in a third world country you wouldn't even have this problem because if you had a blind baby you'd toss it in the nearest river and try again.
That's not exaduration either.

Really sorry Thomas, but at least you get to pick who watches instead of some asshole who's closely associated with the very places that think shit rulings like this make any sense at all.
From what I have heard, if this was the early 90's or before, you would not have gotten to see him at all, but that doesn't mean this isn't bull...

2014-12-08 18:12:54

Dark, yeah, I came across a mention of the case you speak of on the NFB and NCD websites. Apparently it was quite famous, perhaps infamous, because it was an appalling case of denying the woman's civil rights.

As I understand it after the woman gave birth the hospital wouldn't even let her hold the baby and took it away from her immediately after birth. That's beyond cruel, but she did eventually did get the baby back after a couple of years of fighting it in court. Even though she eventually won the case it will never make up the time lost while the baby was in foster care all because the hospital and the courts felt she would be an unfit mother because she was blind.

Defender, knowing what I know now nothing would surprise me about the bias and prejudices of the court system. Especially, 20 or more years ago. Although, my situation sucks, is certainly less than ideal, it still is better than nothing. I imagine there will come a day when he is older, say his teens, where this bullshit decision won't matter because he'll be old enough to make his owned decisions where he goes and whom he spends time with.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2014-12-09 01:42:01

@Tom, I do hope things work out, now or later, it's a very shitty decision really. 

@Defender, interestingly enough, I found while reading anthropology for my doctorate some so called "third world" countries have pretty good attitudes towards disability. For example Al Salvador made governmental provision for disabled people earlier than a lot of western countries, because they had so many wars an revolutions they had a lot of wounded soldiers and so disabled people, whether soldiers or not got to be seen as quite heroic, it was even supposed to be quite a macho thing to see a disabled man getting on with his life.

similarly, in Zimbarbway one anthropologist foun that people had such a strong connection with their families that they treated disabled people as just a farely usual part of life, indeed the anthropologist said it was quite hard to gather data because people were too afraid of governmental interference and preferd to just have disabled members as a part of their communities.

when I studied different cultures beliefs and practices around disability, one thing that actually surprised me was just how bad people in the Uk and possibly the Us were, despite (or in some cases because of), legislation about disability discrimination. After all if someone making any bad decision about disability was able to say "I'm thinking this because of disability" and get the issue out into the open rather than make a biased decision but keep the motivation quiet, then things would be much easier. Which is better, to go for a job interview and be refused on any flimsy excuse because the interviewer has no idea about how blind people would do the job and just refuses as a matter of course, or to walk into an interview and the person to say "so how would you do this?" and have an honest discussion on the subject.

of course, what I say doesn't really matter anyway, we're a pretty shitty species all around and I confess right now I'm thinking the best thing that could happen for the human race would be a serious chunk of asteroid or maybe a super virus, ---- let the  ants have a go big_smile.

2014-12-09 03:13:50 (edited by Cinnamon 2014-12-09 03:25:36)

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

Other December things. Had a bit of a scare with my dog this weekend. She got increasingly sick over two days until Friday night, she got sick four times in an hour. I was in a bit of a panic, all ready to rush her off to the doggie ER the next morning, but she didn't have any more problems after that. She'd been playing, eating, acting happy and waggy the whole time she was sick. I waited on pins and needles Friday night to hear that lovely warning sound, but nothing came. I'm so relieved.

I'm making some green chili chicken soup with potatoes and jalapenos tonight. Nice soup weather for December.

For those in school or university, what are you looking forward to in your time off?

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2014-12-09 20:19:59 (edited by defender 2014-12-09 20:30:13)

Yeah your right Dark there's certain countries that's true, especially war torn ones, with some seriously awesome people that make a big difference, but over all the outlook in places like that is simple, and shit for the baby in question,and shit for the child and then adult if they even get that far.

That said we have our own huge problems here, but generally crazy cases like this don't happen, as with most things, it's the bad ones you hear about, sure then you need to deal with run of the mill descrimination and assholery, but it's better than being denyed basic human rites like with that woman who, was not my mother by the way now that I know more about the story.

I guess what happened with us was less extreme and a bit later.

Also yeah, Thomas,look on the bright side, especially when it's true.

And, I for one think that sometimes the human race sucks, but getting into that mindset is just going to make you autohate everyone around you, so be careful, when I think of that I also think of the capability and potential that all humans have to do amazing things, and I think of some of those things, not just ones that stand out, but simple things too.

We have too much potential to be universally awesome to be written off so easily I think, or to deserve being written off.

Not all our instincts point us to immoral actions either, some of the base ones, but also some point us to neutral and even very moral things as well, otherwise how could the average person live in society, because messed up as it can be it's still better than nothing.

Well I also have my secret weapon, no idea why it works so well but I have to not have it too loud, or to quiet, and I have to have good headphones, and I have to make, my self relax, and it helps allot but I don't know why.
But you probably wont' like it if you don't at all like electronic anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=454NKz8b8_o

I think it works so well on me for a few reasons.

1. A few people seem to think I may be on the autism spectrum somewhere, I don't know if that's true but...

2.  The beat is always slower than I expect, so subconchusly I just slow my breath and heart rate too... Something I can actually feel happening, it also makes me focus more on the song and nothing else, and slows my thoughts.

3.  The womans voice to me is beautiful, and what they did with the piches catches her vocal range, I am a unashaimed sucker for chop ups, but not all, I have to say.

4. The slow heavy base just pounds the fight out of me, rofl, and I let it, because why the hell not?

5. The Simple melodys really pull me in, especially when they get flushed out at the end with the string plucks, and again with her voice.

6. The old timy electric piano type synth in the middle really gets me, I used to listen to NPR allot with my dad, and this one show had that inbetween segments allot, especially sadder ones or weirder ones, it reminds me of a time when my parents weren't divorced yet, where I knewwhere I stood before suddenly I had 3 more siblings from a woman my dad was with on a time out my parents had when I was young, after CPS took them away from her years later when my dad and her were not even close to each other, and I didn't see the problems with my dad and his anger, 99 percent verbal abuse at least, when I hadn't had to grow up too fast getting moved around so very much, like 20 times in 18 years, and that's just homes not schools which is closer to 30 or more, not counting those 2 transitional houses, or feel as though I let everyone downa round me in high school because I couldn't learn like everyone else, or that I'd screwed up my future because of my shit GPA, before I fell into the current bout of depression that I'm still in and had to get to know my new and unwanted dad, who has, no shit actual multiple personality disorder, with 36 alters and 6 main alters because of the horrible shit that happened to him when he was young with his parents, who I knew for several years before this unaware and even visited a few times by my self, because he had baried it so deep he couldn't remember, and all those alters are fragments of times his mind just broke because he couldn't deal with it and now hold seperit memories for him, they came out before in accents and slight personality changes which I just thought were great because he did them so well, and he was already really knolidgable about past and current world events and geography and cultures, which I still love about him at least, so it made sense, or the freakouts, which I realize now were alters he was suppressing.
This stuff just grounds me, other electronic music effects me in a big way too, but this song especially does this specific thing to me, I don't know why, probably because this shit all caught up to me all at once, I kept running and saying o it's fine I wont' freak out, it wont' be that bad, it was never an explosion, it was an implosion, and a long slow one, still going on, I mean I'm getting help, but honestly this stuff helps me in the moment most of all, never could do meditation, hard to talk to counslers, and I'm just so tired of trying to figure my self out, trying to label the reason I am so deathly afraid of toxans, even reading the word like I just did now makes my heart jump, or why I can't cross streets because I can't trust drivers I can't see, which I probably will get over with work at least I know that, or how I can have halusinations that are so rediculously real that I feel like I'm going to die, and I'm paralized with fear all night, though to be fare that's only happened a few times in my life, but they were the absolute worst nights of my life, imagine the precise instant in time where you think about the thing that scares you the most right now, weather it's something you've been suppressing, something you just read about or watched on tv or something, and you thinka bout it killing you, like a snapshot of all 5 senses at that exact time that your heart stops and you scream your last scream, that's what happens to me, again, and again, and again, sometimes per second or more, you can't move because you see the thing your scared of in an exact position in your oom and you just know it's there, there is no rationalization what so ever at this point, your mind is either blank or shrieking, and it keeps going back and forth with no in between.
That also has allot to do with my excellent facial vision, I can imagine shapes, from any sounds I hear, but when I am confronted with 0 sound or small unexplained sounds at a time like that, it helps me construct a realistic shadow, so to speak which is very, very useful in O and M, but when you are constructing the thing that scares you to this degree and it's always moving towards you and touching you again and again. well it's not so great...

Also, holy shit that list item was long... rofl, I got carried away, I hope I didn't ruin your already depressing December thread Dark, sorry.

But, uh, I like that song? allot?

Anyway...

2014-12-10 12:16:45

@Defender, that is quite a sterriotyped view. yes, there are some cultures that consider  disability as a curse, but you can't really make any generalizations without study, or better still living there, indeed it's a good way to evaluate the attitudes of the society you live in (even if you don't consider yourself a part of it), by looking at others.

My problem is take any individual human, and yes on average you get a decent person capable of great kindness and empathy, (occasionally not but more often than not), the problem is the larger the collective, the tribe, the village, the kingdom, the nation, the company, the country or the system, and the less each individual matters. It is no longer about "what each person wants" so much as it is merely how they contribute to the hole or fit in a nice little category, and if outside that, well they don't matter at all. It's what Pink floyd said "all in all your just another brick in the wall"
So, my current thinking is that humans! are quite nice, but "the human race" is pretty scummy over all, especially from the perspective of someone like me who is definitely human, but is not a member of the human race.

@Cinnamon, the soup sounds lovely, I'm a big fan of sweet chilly, indeed I might put one together in my slow cooker this weekend. I'm glad your dog is okay. I remember a horrible point a couple of years ago when Reever became so sick she started to get dehydrated and quite unwell, and I took her to the vets after being up all night. This actually caused a row with the local gide dog health officer (who is quite a moron),  because after the vets sent Reever back still extremely ill, I refused to use that vets anymore and changed to a different one. The health officer threw a hissy fit sinse she didn't like the vets I'd moved to (but sinse there are only two in the city i didn't have a choice and the one I'm at now is where the police take their dogs, they also treat guide dogs for free).
This finished with me saying "I'm changing reever's vet, and if you don't like it, ---- tough!" she got quite irate and accused me of being rude, but where Reever is concerned I am not prepared to budge and I was really! not happy with Reever coming back as ill as she went in, (they even had to pet ambulance her back sinse I couldn't get a taxi to the vet to pick her up but they were insistant on kicking her out).

Luckily the new vets sorted everything out fairly well, and now are great, they even give me free coffee as well as treating Reever for free.

As regards what I'm looking forward to over christmas, well the concert as I said will be nice. I however need to pull my socks up sinse each year I've been involved with audiogames.net I've done a christmas eeve upate of the db. I've not done any work on the db for several months owing to not being particularly well, but I need to get my act together if I want something decent this year, plus there are! an increasing number of games to add from hjim Kitchin's Pizza delivery to paladin of the skies and traders of known space.

Indeedd, I think I'll start on pizza delivery this evening.

2014-12-10 13:39:02

Hi,
@defender: I'm listening now, and wow. This is something cool. I'm not usually one for too many electronic tunes, but this one has quite a lot of different layers and such, so thanks for introducing me to this.
Also, those hallucinations sound horrible!
As for me, I had a show last night with a group called First Act, and it went very well. My role was a sort of pompous head of a social services branch in the second half of the show, and it was quite challenging because while my character wasn't exactly evil, he was most certainly bogged down to the point where he couldn't help the main characters out, and was sort of strict in the process. I still managed to actually get some laughs from the audience though. it was quite an enjoyable, yet very different, role to what I was expecting. The rest of the cast were also really awesome, some were nervous but once they were up on stage, they were fine and they all performed their roles without a hitch. The songs were also quite good, from a rendition of Paul McCartney's simply having a wonderful Christmas time, to Shaking Steven's Merry Christmas everyone, to one little Christmas Tree by Steevy Wonder and even the cheasy y.m.c.a, it got the audience clapping along. The finale especially, Pharrel Williams's Happy which is from the Despicable Me sequel, the audience were really showing the support for the cast there, clapping and cheering. So, all in all, a good show and looking forward to next April, whatever the next show's going to be.
I also went to a place called Southampton on Monday, to do Christmas shopping. I was quite excited because in the Disney Store, and I think @tward might like this, they had some new Star Wars toys which spoke and made sounds. I don't exactly know what they're called, but you had Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Chubacka, a stormtrooper and Han Solo. They are quite tall, I think around 18 inches, not too sure on the measurement though. They have a button on their chests which makes them speak, and on their shoulder they have a button which makes weapon sounds. They all said around fifteen different phrases.

2014-12-10 18:08:02

Yeah your probably right Dark, I've never been to those types of places, I just like to watch documentaries, read books, and know some people from those places pretty well.
But my view on stereotypes is basically that the reason everyone gets so pissed about them in the first place is because lots of them have truth in them.
Almost no one ever wants to admit there is something wrong, least of all with their own culture, religion, or ideals, so they suppress and deny it and refuse to learn anything from it.

I also recognize the huge impact that taking away the power of the person in question and adding them, usually unwittingly, as a part to a much greater hole with it's own agenda as a big problem.
But I still believe that unless your living in 1984, and this happened way more with government officials than everyday people even there, that you as a person can make a difference even on a low level, because nothing is really stopping you from doing so, limiting you from larger things, yes, though even that can be overcome, but not always smaller ones, and it isn't as hard as you think to find that opportunity, even if you aren't devoting your life to it, something that no one should be expected to do by default.

Nice to hear that you've been having a good time of it Aaron, checking out stuff to buy and doing that performance, congrads on that by the way sounds like you both had fun, and did a great job at the same time, which is probably the best you can get out of the experience. big_smile

Also glad you liked the song, I have plenty of other music I like but if I lie on my bed and breathe deeply and listen that song helps me most of all with stress, while other songs effect me in other ways, I'm picky about my electronic music, but I don't like a hole lot else, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it though, I just don't keep, appreciating it usually.

2014-12-10 19:21:55

@Defender, by "sterriotype" I simply meant that you were taking a large chunk of the world and making a catagorical statement about how people behaved. The so called "third world" is made up of a huge number of different countries and cultures from India to Africa, and generalizing in such a way about such a large proportion of the world's population seems not to be     helpful.

I'm a little confused how on the one hand you say "people get pissed about sterriotypes because they have some truth to them" and then go on to state that "people don't like their own culture being cryticized" sinse these two statements seem a little contradictory as a person who believes sterriotypes of races and cultures other than their own will be less likely to cryticize their own culture not more. I also confess I find your "all sterriotypes have some truth to them" a little worrying, indeed if people stopped thinking in such broad catagorizations and using prejudice, ie, pre judging others based on sets of external and often arbitrary groupings we'd probably be a better species and indeed individuals would get far more freedom over their lives than we actually do.

2014-12-10 19:57:31

Hi everyone,
This month I've been busy with all my term exams, glad I've finally finished them.
I'm looking forward for Christmas, this is a wonderful holiday with all these traditions and great admosfere around....
Ah, Nin, Don't forget about the Pig Sacrifice.
Here, in Romania, a couple of days before Christmas eve, usually on 17 or 18 december, every family (especially those who lives at the countriside) sacrifice a pig. Imediately after the sacrifice, fur burning and the rest of the necessary procedures in ored to make the pig ... eatable, we cook some fresh meat, this is usually fried.
After that, the following days  until the Christmas Eve the people are busy with pig cooking. We have a lot of pork dishes for Christmas, like sausage rols, cozonac (which is a kind of panetone, but a little different because it is usually  filled with nuts, or that turkish delict which I don't remember how to say in english right now). THe cozonac is also flavoured with some rum, or lemon slice.
Another kind of food is  called ssarmale, , this is minced meat rolled in cabbage leaves, then they're boyled together with different condiments.
Oh, and of course, not to forget the mulled wine....