2014-11-26 03:17:00

Hey all. So, I don't know if theres a certain site I go to, but blind mice doesn't have these movies I'm looking for. For example, I'd like Batman: Assault on Arkham or Justice League War described, but blind mice doesn't have them. any places?

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2014-11-26 10:11:39

Ghost Rider, one reason you might not be able to find them described is simply because they aren't described. The Justice League and Batman movies are all produced by Warner Brothers, and as a rule Warner Brothers do not release their movies with audio description. Unless they are described by a third-party like WGBH or Sky you aren't going to find them described.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-11-26 14:24:02

Hi,
I'd like to correct Tom a bit. In the UK, warner release their movies described, but, and there is a huge but: they do not release the direct to video movies, only the big name blockbusters, so, basically, you are out of luck. I can also say the same about stuff like Spirited Away, which is animated but does not have description.

2014-11-27 09:52:50

It is important to bear in mind that the chances of something being described are relative to whether it has a full theatrical release, its mainstream popularity outside of geek culture, and how frequently it pops up on TV. It's a pain but unfortunately that's reality for you.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-27 14:17:13

Yes, in the UK, WB, Disney, Fox etc. ensure that most POPULAR titles are available to cinemas with audio description tracks. At any one time 9 or 10 of the weekly top ten have the tracks. Last year around 170 English-language films were shown in UK cinemas with English-language subtitles/captions and audio description. But sometimes these tracks don’t follow onto the DVD release.

Here’s a website with the latest audio described cinema, dvd listings, as well as many mp3 audio description samples: http://www.yourlocalcinema.com/ad.html

2014-11-27 22:21:42

Hi.
Ghost rider do you really need these audio described? Maybe it's just me but I don't find movies without audio description hard to understand. It is pretty stupid though that  lesser known movies don't get audio described.
You should try blindy.tv they have a lot of tv shows but they might also show movies that your looking for.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-11-27 23:20:40

Hi,
I agree with guitarman. Although, the fight scenes will be a bit tricky without description you'll be able to get the story and such, which, imo, si waht a good movie or show is all about.

2014-11-29 13:04:19

Yeah. That is admitted bias on my part as I think audio described media is pretty useless to begin with. Sure it gives the little tiny details, but you don't honestly need it to enjoy a story, and I think makes people that rely on them nervous or uncertain when they can't find any considering how relatively niche they are.
I'd like to point out Spirited Away is a very questionable case as it is. Disney has the rights for localization, i.e. subbing, dubbing, and home release and packaging, but the added fact that it's made by Studio Ghibly only serves to make it just obscure enough that it likely won't get much in that regard.
Actually, they're about as mainstream as anime gets, but even the most well-known anime will only be a blip on most people's radar.

2014-11-29 14:16:41

I don't think audio description is useless. If you can't see well you may not be able to enjoy the first half hour of the excellent film 'There Will Be Blood'. The audio description makes it clear: http://progressive.ifdnrg.com/streams/y … odCLIP.mp3

2014-11-29 14:59:16

I agree with the previous poster, audio description is certainly not useless, I say this because until some years ago I allways wanted to know what's happening in the movies, you can't understand everything that's happening. the setting, how the characters look like, and many more things are important in a movie not only just the plot.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2014-11-29 15:22:05

Here's another film where there's no dialogue for the first 15 mins, so if you have sight loss it's difficult to know what's going on. Audio description fills in the gaps: Under The Skin: http://progressive.ifdnrg.com/streams/y … inCLIP.mp3

2014-11-29 20:01:10

If you've ever seen march of the penguins, you'll know why audio description is in no way whatsoever useless.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2014-11-29 20:14:35

Hi,
I definitely agree, audio description is not useless, and for a ot of films, it helps. IN fact, for most. But if you can't get a film audio described, it's still enjoyable, especially if we're talking about superheroes, who are quite easy to imagine their looks as they've been featured in many other media, some of it described. Yes, each version has a slightly different costume design and maybe slightly different gadgets, but it can still be enjoyed.

2014-11-29 20:23:39

I should retract my statement. Not useless exactly, there's plenty of instances where it's quite helpful as mentioned. But it's too much of a crutch to rely upon all the time. Fact is the vast majority of media don't get that treatment, and there's a multitude of great movies, series, cartoons, and anime that shouldn't be ignored.
As I said, I admit to bias.

2014-11-29 21:01:43

I don't need audio description, my sight is fine, but I love it! I love falling asleep listening to a movie with a good story. Here's a nice sample - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: http://progressive.ifdnrg.com/streams/y … pyCLIP.mp3

I don't like audio books though, where one person does all the different character's voices, like Stephen Fry and the Harry Potter audiobooks. I don't mind autobiographies when read by the actual person the book is about.

2014-11-30 01:17:27

Hi.
I think audio description is great, without it I find it hard to know what's going on. Although saying that I do listen to some animes and find them to be good.

Some people can go without audio description, me? I can't for most of my movies and other thingts I watch.

If you want to sign up to a service like netflix for the blind, try,
www.zagga.tv
It's not open yet but ifyou sign up then you can see what they do.
I've already mentioned them in a topic before.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-11-30 01:42:41

I usually rely on audio description for movies I haven't seen yet. If its a movie I've seen several times, for example, the goonies, then I don't need it. Hell, I don't even need it for transformers anymore. But movies like batman the dark knight rises and the like are kinda better with audio description. Another reason why audio description is good is because sometimes the comedic elements aren't portrayed via sound, so you need the audio describer to tell you the comedic element you may have missed. Also, sometimes theres certain points that help with letting you know what happened to reduce confusion. For example. In batman: the dark knight rises, the special agent cocked his gun, and the describer didn't say anything. Now I know, one of Bane's henchmen didn't sneak up behind the agent and pull a gun.