2014-11-24 11:23:51

Security is always a balance between safety and functionality, to make things completely secure you'd need to shut your system off from the outside after all. Anyone who has ever read the BoFH knows just how terrible users are. That said I do believe in using reasonable precautions such as antivirus software and windows updates, after all it's possible for google ads or similar on a perfectly legitimate web site to contain virus code. It has happened before and it will likely happen again, not to mention the fact that windows update also plugs holes to stop programs running without user consent such as with data injection attacks and buffer overruns.

All this reminds me of a friend who was asked to help the local job centre set up supernova on their computer, they couldn't figure out why it wasn't working so they asked her help as a supernova user herself and a council employee.

Friend: Does the computer have a sound card?
Staff, incredulous: Of course not!
Friend: Didn't you read the side of the box where it says sound card required?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-24 12:55:26

Hi.
Want to laugh at people? And wonder how kids got so smart? Oh and read some worning lables too?
Click here.
http://www.rinkworks.com/said/
Choose a category, then go back to the top of the page and press L for list. and read.

Enjoy.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-11-24 13:14:20

Lol Cx2, Trying to setup supernova on a computer without a soundcard? I think that definitely falls into the stupid category, ---- heck, the name "text to speech!" pretty much tells you sound is required!

Sort of reminds me of the time I  couldn't setup my university e-mail account to run with outlook express sinse they used an inaccessible web mail system, they refused to tell me the server password and said they would e-mail it to me. When I asked how to pickup the e-mail they're response was "use our web mail?" when I pointed out that the very reason I was trying to setup outlook express was because I couldn't use their webmail they did actually responded with "well you'll need our web mail system to set that up!"

I do have to wonder where they find these people!

In the end I just gave up and gave anyone in the university who needed it my own e-mail address instead big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-24 18:29:33

well, things do happen,like the one wich cx2 just mensioned. and yes, manufacturers have there share of responsibility, so they decide, "better be stupid looking than be stupified" smile

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-11-24 23:28:38

Think the funniest one I've ever heard so far though is still, and I quote, "Not to be used for the other use."  I don't even remember what it was on, but seriously, what is this elusive other use that must remain such a secret you couldn't possibly have spelled it out?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.