2014-11-22 06:02:13 (edited by Rach Rach 2014-11-22 06:08:49)

I think you might know who I am but if you're wondering I'm rachel and I've been working on a project that quite a few members have been interested in. I made an alternate account because the thing I'm going to discuss here is extremely personal and I would like to leave it within the blind community itself and not affiliate my normal username with it because I think this community may be the only one that may be able to understand the problem that I am encountering.

Unlike most users here, I'm not blind. My only visual impairment is that I am slightly nearsighted, enough to be annoying and require glasses. But my interest in blindness runs extremely deep. It seems to have, through my whole life, been intertwined in my interests, so deeply rooted that it perpetuates in my thoughts with almost everything that I do.

I'm not sure why.

A few days ago, I was reading an article about people who feel uncomfortable about who they feel like in their bodies because of their gender and while I do not suffer from that problem, it reminded me of a problem that I do suffer from, a problem that unlike that has no real clear solution, ethical or otherwise. This problem is a problem that I'm aware has existed since I was 8 years old and has persisted throughout this time since then, emerging every so often, but slowly more and more integrated into my every day life. When I was that age I had an image of myself that I wanted to achieve self harm to my eyes to eventually become who I "wanted" to be, so I stared into the sun with my right eye. I didn't do this for exceedingly long, although long enough to temporarily null out my central vision in this eye, and now it's more photosensitive than my left but not really depreciated in any way. As I got older these ideas continued to float around my mind but I would attempt to suppress them due to the consequences of such an action. An alluring, forbidden fruit of an life changing alteration that would constantly knock on my door. A pretty vicious demon, in hiding. They become more and more prevalent and it's to the point where the thought easily crosses my mind in all serious consideration once a week now. The ethical implications of what I am suggesting are immense and there is no easy answer - either way I have to deal with some form of stigmatization or internal suffering. The only way to describe it is an intense feeling of a denied existence - an existence that I must sound crazy for feeling that way, but an intense feeling nonetheless.

Reading online posts regarding this obsession of self harm of the eyes due to a conflicting self image result in extreme amounts of stigma, resulting in people almost acting as if blindness is death, or if the OP is really crazy or something. What an unfortunate view that sighted people truly have of you if they believe that blinding oneself is akin to suicide and that blindness is viewed as the end of your life. I've always viewed it as a different existence, not a lack of one. Perhaps that's why people act the way that they do. I wish I could change this, but I feel powerless. Alas.

I can't really defend these feelings at all. If anyone wants to think I'm totally insane or selfish, that's their problem, but the fears of others is something that makes me so afraid of myself. I'll be honest - I'd rather give what I have to someone who lost it than just take it alone, and this, among fears of stigmatization, is what has prevented me in the past, and will likely cause me to continue. This obsession has made me aware of this honestly illogical way that people perceive blindness, and after meeting Kyle (the original blindie as I call him affectionately) I learned how to channel these frankly completely illogical wishes into a form of interest and understanding. This is why I affiliate myself with the community.  But it's not a patch, since the problem simply grows. I'm at the point that this patch can no longer hide the issue. I need to let it out.

I try to externalize my feelings into a form of protection of the blind community. I cannot and will never be able to touch all bases in the community and I know there are some people who may not even like me, and well, just like anyone else that's honestly really to be expected. But I turn these feelings of incorrectness into a way to teach people and educate them, to absorb as much information as possible about your issues and to help show people of all different kinds on how to improve your lives. I know that I'm only one person but if I can have even just one person understand then that's one person who has changed.

But the disturbing trend is that I realized that people are not invested in this way of thinking. I'm not asking them to take on my burdens, but they seem to play the "well that's just sad" treatment and forget about it. It's viewed as a pity and nothing else. It's very disappointing. I return to my blind friends to find solace. You all have been so wonderful to me. I'm blessed to have such an accepting community support my endeavours, be it a video game or my own personal problems. All I want for you guys is to fulfill your independence and destroy the moronic and manageable roadblocks in your way. I know that I'm not the best but to be able to share my favourite video game with you guys is one of the most enlightening and fulfilling things that I have ever done in my life, not out of charity, but out of respect for your existence.

My obsession with understanding is often viewed by outsiders as "worrisome", as if I am preparing for something. Some even presume that I have some sort of condition... In a sense, I am preparing, because I understand that one day that my logic will not be able to defeat these feelings anymore and I will become so uncomfortable with my condition that I will have been cornered. My condition is that my mind refuses to accept who I was born as.

I think as I got closer to some blindies such as my Mr. Kyle and his friends and others, they sort of realized there was something different about me. I was suggested from him that perhaps I was blind in a past life, without even telling him these feelings. I don't know how he knew those feelings existed, I can't remember telling him before that point. But he knew. Some of my other friends have claimed that I feel like talking to someone who is blind themselves or that somehow I "get it". And I don't "get" everything, I'm never going to "get" everything until that day finally comes, but it's almost as if you guys understand this segment of me without even having to say it. I have to give you guys a lot of credit though - you seem to "get it" with me back.

Somehow you guys understand me, and I finally feel not alone around you guys. I've always had trouble understanding other people and their problems because of an existing, unrelated condition, but the blind have never been a problem for me, and I think this shows through my closest friends. To me you all are a subject of interest, admiration and strength. Please never ever let anyone tell you otherwise. People may claim they'd rather be dead than blind but you all know that it's not a means to an end, and, despite my position being fairly unique, I know they're wrong. They may think I'm crazy but I'm the one who sees their horrific opinions.

No, I don't think I'm going to hurt myself anytime soon. Please don't worry, because I promise everyone here that I'm going to be fine. I'm a very very strong person. I can't go do anything when I have open shoelaces. And I absolutely promise that the worst I would ever do to myself is take away my own vision. This has nothing to do with hopelessness or fear or anything of that sort. Don't even think I'll end my own life, because despite this extreme challenge I'm honestly the happiest that I've ever been in my life in these last 2 years, and I owe it to all of you, in all of your different quirks and flavours. This epiphany has only indicated to me that I need to receive help for what's going on in my mind. It's not a form of depression or anxiety, even though I suffer from both, because these thoughts literally come from nowhere and are rooted in self perception. It's not a punishment. It's just something that I know that will eventually consume me if I stand back and do nothing and just let it grow. When I try to help others, I notice that it's hard to face a problem that is viewed as scary so we try to hide our demons behind a shadow, regardless of how bad it really is. I don't know where my desire is rooted in. I think we all know that I'm not crazy, and I hope that even the realization of these demons that this still doesn't make me viewed as crazy. I'm a fully stable individual who has managed having a full time job, school, living on one's own, a personal life and a side project for the last 10 months successfully. I don't think someone who was truly mentally unstable or unsound would be capable of pulling that off. But some demons need to be exposed to the light.

I have major respect for the blind community and it's continual support for me, despite our differences. That's a lot more than can be said about other disability communities. I'm autistic and the autism community has thrusted me out because I don't agree with a lot of their ideas regarding independence, and they continually to erase me and my entire history in the name of their "activism". But the blind community has continually been accepting. So I ask this much, that even though my words may frighten or even hurt some of you due to the implications, that you at least try to understand, that it has nothing rooted in selfishness or self loathing or anger, but rather considerable admiration of both what you guys go through and what your existence entails.

I love you all. Please take care. I just need time to collect myself and accept this part of me. I spent a decade and a half trying to hide it from myself until I couldn't hide anymore. I'll be okay. Please don't worry, I'll be back in a few days and back to my normal self.

2014-11-22 10:49:05 (edited by CAE_Jones 2014-11-22 11:43:42)

I've come to think of visual impairment as, say, the powerball on the life lottery. If you're the sort who would tend to work hard and win at life, blindness will only make you work--and win--harder. If you're on the other end of the curve, so too can the negative be amplified. This amplification applies to problems and gains from external circumstances as well, especially other people.
But that's just a working hypothesis, and a recent one at that. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong soon enough. I always am. (This does not say much good about my critical thinking skills, but that's not what we're talking about!)

There's a lot to digest in your post, but, you know, one of the last things I read before coming here involved lots of parables about how, if we can accommodate trans people, then let's accommodate them instead of being mean about it because it's hard to understand those sorts of experiences. Emperor Norton and Body Integrity Identity Disorder came up. (The latter seemed more general when I first heard about it, but nowadays people only use it to refer to people who have a deep seeded need to become amputees, so I can't suggest that it applies to you and me anymore, which is kinda frustrating.)

I can at least be glad that you have found support! As you say, most people seem incapable of going further than "oh, that's sad", at best, when they encounter something so far from their experience. It's good to know that people around here can do better than that, sometimes. smile

[edit: technically, what you described is indeed BIID. But the amputee version is so salient that it'll be the first to come to mind when someone brings it up.]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-11-22 11:56:03

Rach Rach, I'm glad that being in this community has been so helpful.  This group is indeed a unique one, haha.

I don't have any experience with amputee identity disorder, but I do feel it might be at least related to what you're experiencing.  CAE, this is what I thought about too while reading Rach Rach's post.  smile  I definitely don't want to come across as judgmental in any way!  While I personally feel uneasy at the idea of permanently altering yourself to feel more like "you", I'll be the first to point out that people have been doing variations of this for thousands of years.  Cutting holes in ears, noses, and several other places to insert jewelry (or just to leave them as a large hole) is extremely common.  People inject ink into their skin to permanently display images.  In various parts of the world people would bind heads with rope, feet with ribbon, or thin necks with metal rings... all for some sort of permanent change to the body.  Part of me feels uneasy about making this connection, but what you're thinking about seems to just be a more extreme form of this same thing.

I've never been a fan of any sort of permanent body modification (no tattoos or piercings here), but it's just personal preference.  My only excuse for recommending against it, is that it IS permanent.  Removing one of your 5 senses permanently, is what makes your "modification" more extreme than those I listed.  If you change your mind in 10 years, there is no going back.  To me, that is a scary thing.  At least people who regret a tattoo can cover it with a shirt, or even pay big bucks to have it lasered off.

A quick side note:  I'm laughing AT myself because of how stupid I feel right now.  I just realized how much I enjoyed indenting my 2 paragraphs!  You said you are sighted, so I have a rare excuse to actually use proper indentation in a post.  Horray!  big_smile  I haven't had a reason to do that around here for a long time.  (I'm sighted too)  I just feel really silly/stupid because I never thought, in my life, that I'd feel joy from indenting a paragraph.  It's weird.

I imagine most people could not sympathize with your feelings because they abhor the thought of losing one of their sensory inputs.  I bet that's almost universal.  In a very small way I think I can at least understand where you're coming from though, since the thought has (casually) crossed my mind many times that it would be wonderful if I was deaf.

Deaf?  Yep.  I usually do not enjoy sound.  I rarely listen to music, I hate having a TV or radio on in the background, and I tend to be the most comfortable when I'm in complete silence.  I've worn ear plugs for the fun of muting the world around me, especially at work where I can get very annoyed when people are making noise.  Wait, how did I get roped into making AUDIO games?!  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-11-22 15:01:19

Hail all. Rachel, it goes for you, Aprone and other sighted folks who are on a quest to understand the visually impaired and/or blind comunity. What I'm about to say can be true both for personal and for a developer's perspective. But like Rachel, I may use the words that truely describe what I think or feel about it, so, if it is going to hurt someone, I anticipate my apologies to you.
Blindness can be viewed by some as a way to hide all the ugly and sad things from view. A permanent and enforced way to acquire inocence in some cases.
But both wanting to be able to see everything and do not wanting to see at all are extreme of the same rope. I'm totally blind since I was five years old. I managed to help many sighted people to notice things that were under their noses all the time. Needless to say, they help me alot too. For me this is an attempt to achieve balance. Perhaps the same fear some have of becoming blind, is the fear I have to be able to see.
So if I'm blind and have respect for sighted people, I obviously should not want to cut off their vision for saving them for all the ugliness of the world, there are still many wonders to be seen, this I can ensure you even not being able to see. I should try though, to help others the way I am. The nature is very fair friends, we all can appreciate a bird. Be it it's colors, be it it's beautiful song.
We all have problems in some way. There are always some demons or dragons waiting deep inside us, to scare us when silence comes. First thing here is to locate them, do not let them hide from you. We can not just accept a flaw without at least try to solve it. Then, let us hunt them, one by one. Am I being too optimist? Maybe. But sometimes the best way to notice we have something harming us is to try to view it from outside our normal perspective.
And please, this goes for everyone. You can count on me to help face those challenges.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-11-22 18:35:13

I suffer from depression myself so I'd like to start by saying if at any point your situation changes and you do feel like  you may harm yourself in some way or if it really starts bothering you please do seek professional advice, it doesn't make you unstable just human. I was born sighted and now completely blind, I can tell you when it's 24/365 it isn't enjoyable.

Perhaps in the same way as some transgender individuals practicing transvestism you might wish to obtain either a blindfold or blacked out glasses of some kind even if only to wear around the house, this might hopefully release enough of your feelings to ease the pressure. While I haven't heard of this before I see no harm in it even though I know many people would likely stigmatise you for it. Hell I've had rare brief temptations towards transvestism myself though I seriously doubt I'd ever feel able to actually try it out, and as someone who finds gender no more important to attraction than matters like body type and hair colour I seem to find transvestites and other matters that play with the concepts of gender and gender roles rather sexy.

Ultimately so long as you are happy with who you are and you don't harm others you can do pretty much whatever you like and I'll support your right to do it. In fact I've made a couple of revelations here I haven't really mentioned to anyone before simply as a show of support, and I thank you for giving me an incentive to do so since it will likely help me in accepting myself as I hope it does for you.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-22 19:26:28 (edited by Rach Rach 2014-11-22 19:58:48)

There's a lot to digest in your post, but, you know, one of the last things I read before coming here involved lots of parables about how, if we can accommodate trans people, then let's accommodate them instead of being mean about it because it's hard to understand those sorts of experiences. Emperor Norton and Body Integrity Identity Disorder came up. (The latter seemed more general when I first heard about it, but nowadays people only use it to refer to people who have a deep seeded need to become amputees, so I can't suggest that it applies to you and me anymore, which is kinda frustrating.)

I can at least be glad that you have found support! As you say, most people seem incapable of going further than "oh, that's sad", at best, when they encounter something so far from their experience. It's good to know that people around here can do better than that, sometimes. smile

[edit: technically, what you described is indeed BIID. But the amputee version is so salient that it'll be the first to come to mind when someone brings it up.]

I've been hesitant to try to self diagnose.  Always have been with psychological problems - it's an easy way to invoke hyperbole and be a hypochondriac. Just look at tumblr... (shudders). And I'm going to try to get into a therapist as soon as possible. I'm kind of afraid of a diagnosis of BIID since it's often treated as a psychotic when, for all intensive purposes, if that's "psychotic" then it must be the only part of me that is and is very selective. This doesn't begin to get into the stigmatization of the issue at hand, just read those comments for instant shame. I have to give you guys credit though for being really awesome in your responses, I was almost worried I would get one asshole but I know that I can trust you guys now.

Aprone wrote:

I've never been a fan of any sort of permanent body modification (no tattoos or piercings here), but it's just personal preference.  My only excuse for recommending against it, is that it IS permanent.  Removing one of your 5 senses permanently, is what makes your "modification" more extreme than those I listed.  If you change your mind in 10 years, there is no going back.  To me, that is a scary thing.  At least people who regret a tattoo can cover it with a shirt, or even pay big bucks to have it lasered off.

I'm not really sure if this is an accurate analogy. I mean, the hardest thing is that yes, it's an impulse, but it's an impulse that's existed for 13 years at least, and has only gained in intensity. I definitely agree with what you're saying, and that's what the logical side of my brain tells me. It's very very scary for that reason - because such an internalized conflict exists. It's not like I'm saying I don't understand, and I understand completely - it's that the force that I'm fighting is not a force that can be rationalized with.

I think the best way to describe what it feels like is that you have two sides, a logical side and an emotional side. Emotional side usually doesn't ask for anything too out of the ordinary, and ends up manifesting things into guilty pleasures, such as my obsession with collecting figures and stuff. Usually it's pretty harmless, or at worst it makes my paycheck cry a bit. But the most persistent issue, this one, has never gone away. It only gets worse and worse. It used to be something that I was able to pocket away, but this is no longer the case. The logical side is a parent of a completely bizarre emotional side who does not rationalize with anything. Instead, it bribes.

Usually the thought process is like this. Emotions say that I should go and stuff ammonia in my eyes or something like that. No real trigger or anything, I'll just wake up and think about blinding myself. Logical side says that's stupid because of various reasons, I think you're all aware of those reasons. Emotional side used to not know how to argue against this. But emotional side has gotten smarter over the years and tries to plea logically to logical side, which is dangerous. Emotional side knows that logical side's main argument is that there would be certain things that would be irreplacable, so emotional side tries to bribe that these are not as unmanageable as it seems. Exposure to blindies gives good evidence to this argument, but logical side stays adamant. However, each time emotional side becomes more convincing. It has eventually boiled down to the idea of "open shoelaces", which must be "tied". Essentially accomplishing all of the things I need to accomplish in short before being able to proceed. Logical side is aware that once this occurs logical side will have almost no defense to emotional side's increasing strength, which is why I feel that this event will inevitably occur. Logical side tries to compensate for this by continually producing projects but it is not capable of working fast or "deep" enough, and it realizes that there is a means to an end.

In the meantime it attempts to pacify emotional side to try to reduce its intensity, by blindfold. Before the stigma of having to answer to what I was doing was extremely distressful and preventing me from being able to do that. But I now live on my own, and I have found that doing this can be theraputic. It's not the same as what my emotional side wants though and I know that it, too, will not be enough.

It's not really like there are multiple personalities or anything but it's the only way to give an accurate analogy of what's going on here. Giving them a sort of "character" gives a way to externalize the conflict by giving them character stereotypes based on the sides of the conflict, similar to the "angel/devil" trope often seen in cartoons.

Also on your indenting comment I'm pretty used to reading blind people read so I don't really care either way. I don't actually usually indent my paragraphs on forums anyways and instead use double spaces tongue

I imagine most people could not sympathize with your feelings because they abhor the thought of losing one of their sensory inputs.  I bet that's almost universal.  In a very small way I think I can at least understand where you're coming from though, since the thought has (casually) crossed my mind many times that it would be wonderful if I was deaf.

This is the exact problem and what makes either decision so difficult. At least you're not being a jerk about it, and I really have to give you credit for that. I guess those sort of thoughts come into people's minds every so often but I'm willing to bet that it isn't as consistent if it's not afflicting you like that.

I don't really have much to say in response to you Haramir outside of the fact that I appreciate your understanding. I agree with a lot of what you said, I just feel like my responses would simply concur.

cx2 wrote:

Perhaps in the same way as some transgender individuals practicing transvestism you might wish to obtain either a blindfold or blacked out glasses of some kind even if only to wear around the house, this might hopefully release enough of your feelings to ease the pressure. While I haven't heard of this before I see no harm in it even though I know many people would likely stigmatise you for it. Hell I've had rare brief temptations towards transvestism myself though I seriously doubt I'd ever feel able to actually try it out, and as someone who finds gender no more important to attraction than matters like body type and hair colour I seem to find transvestites and other matters that play with the concepts of gender and gender roles rather sexy.

Back when I lived with my parents I was extremely nervous about doing this. I live on my own now and I have found it's pretty therapeutic, but I worry that it won't be enough - my emotional side feels that it's "fake" and only a pacifier. I'm not trying to devalue your physical problems at all, at least you seem to understand. I'm glad that I allowed you to feel brave enough to embrace others with your own problems, since I know it must appear very strange from an outsider. But in the meantime it works for now. I want to eventually get completely black contacts so that I can feel a little less "fake" but even this I don't really think is going to solve the problem. It's yearning is incredibly powerful and even though I've been pretty strong in the past it doesn't give in.

Some people who are transgender are okay without having to go through modifications to be comfortable with themselves, while others are not. Some transwomen want so many modifications that they can feel every female experience, like getting pregnant or going on a period. I keep feeling like I'm the latter, I've tried things in the past and while they pacify the urges the problem still emerges. It's very scary when you are conscious of these thoughts and you constantly try to suppress them logically, and feel underpowered to do so.

My friend and I were talking about this and even though he doesn't feel this way he knows people who wish to become incontinent. I think it's a similar way of thinking. It's like the drive to harm yourself completely outweighs the idea of the consequences.

I don't really think it's related to depression though. The thoughts do cause some shame and fear but they don't originate in depression. Most times it just happens and it's a powerful drive.

2014-11-22 20:58:12

I understand that your feelings aren't rooted in depression, noting that the stress caused by such feelings may contribute to depression rather than being caused by it. That said your impulses sound very like urges to self harm or commit suicide by those who have such impulses brought on by depression, something I've experienced in some limited fashion myself. As time has gone on the rational reasoning against suicide I can bring to bear has gradually eroded as I become desensitised to each concern, and there are times when that has been genuinely scary. I've been in something of a rut ever since leaving college ten years ago, and I likely had signs of depression prior to that due to many issues at school and within my family which have no connection to my visual impairment. My impulses cause me to spiral down at times believing there is no way for me to improve my life and that the difficulty in trying such is just too much for me to bear. I've sought help and I'm on anti depressants but that's not a long term solution, which I'm fully aware of.

After Robin Williams' tragic suicide there were clips on the news of him in a previous interview saying there's always a little voice in the back of his mind saying "jump". Again it's the same concept, the urge doesn't seem to come from anywhere specific though obviously stress can increase its likelihood as with many things.

Like you I have times when I fear running out of arguments to throw at my urges, sometimes it downright terrifies me and it's often in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and my mind keeps going round in circles steadily spiralling down. I don't have a solution any more than you do but my local area does have a crisis line for if you feel you're going to act on something. If you know someone who understands maybe you could at least ask if in the event of you reaching that point if you could call them for them to talk you down. I can't guarantee you'll actually call them any more than I can guarantee I'd have the presence of mind to call the crisis line but it's all I've got to suggest.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-22 23:30:33

Hello,
Sorry guys If I’m not clear enough, because my native language is not English.
Why would you take away your vision? Others dream to be sited one day.

I have some blind friends who feel very uncomfortable and unsatisfied because of their blindness. Another tendency of some blind folks here in Albania is to hide it. So they want to be shown like they’re not blind, claiming they can do all sorts of things, even walking in a city of a bad infrastructure. Publically, especially among sited people they try to use their phones or computers without a sited assistance, or screen reader, mostly when they meet a sited person for the first time. I am really taken aback when I hear them doing such things, because that’s no way of avoiding your blindness. They do even try to move in a crowded area or school, claiming that they are not blind. Some others stay 24 hours a day in their home, cause they are ashamed of their blindness. They do not even want to get along with their friends, or make new friends, cause they think nobody will like them. These are just psychological disorders, which are preventing many blinds from making a healthy life over here. Fortunately, I have got these problems over, and many things are going well this way. I strongly think that we can make good friendships, which may work better than with blind people. I had a friend from my high school, who was so far my best friend. He was not blind and our opinions were almost the same. We used to go everywhere together, and I don’t remember there was ever a problem between me and him.
I really don’t like those people who, because of their disease, want to live their life inactively, and who do not like anymore themselves, like they lost everything, and there’s no way of coping with their problems. This are very harmful and may lead from depression to a potential suicide, because when you are depressed, the chances are less to control yourself properly.

2014-11-22 23:47:12 (edited by Rach Rach 2014-11-22 23:53:06)

It's not really like I want to be blind, in fact a huge part of the tension involved with feeling this way is the exact opposite of wanting to be blind. I think cx2 kind of has a somewhat right idea that it's an "urge" rather than a wanting. It feels like a forbidden fruit that my body didn't match with. It's completely illogical and conflicts with everything that could be called common sense, really. And to be honest, I would rather give my sight to people, even split it between two people, than just take it away, but that's impossible.

I'm aware of most of the consequences of that action, it's not a matter of that, you cannot reason with these feelings. You simply have to continue to defeat them.

I found a german forum, my german is very very loose but I saw some other people with BIID of different forms, including blindness. Too nervous to even approach it, although it's extremely inactive, there's only a few threads and their dates are separated by years of content. Things I read there, it's strange how they feel comfortable with their condition because I have always been afraid of that side of myself, and I'm still shaking from Thursday. When I realized I couldn't hold it under a rug anymore.

I found this link today and it illustrated how I feel really well, actually.

http://www.experienceproject.com/storie … er/1539450

I wish I could talk to this person and talk about our experiences since I know this sounds weird but I don't really understand the amputee kind. I know it must make absolutely no sense to someone watching from outside because to them, just like the amputee kind is to me, it makes no sense. But to me the struggle is every bit as real as it seems. I hate it. I wish I didn't have it. It's not something I would wish upon anyone. I tried to hide it so long and it grew into a monster. Only by blindfolding myself and listening to music was I able to calm myself down yesterday.

I hope this makes sense because I can't hide these things.

2014-11-22 23:49:31

Hi rach rach and others.
I can't say I fully understand this topic but I'm here if you want to talk. I don't know if I'll be any help but I can at least try. smile My skype is brad1647
And email [email protected]

I don't want to upset you and I doubt I will by asking  so I'll ask. Why do you want to be more like us? Blind I mean. I'm not saying it sucks, I'm not going to, Because It doesn't. Sure I have stupid experiences, (I had to try to sign a paper today with. 1. A tiny pen. 2. an idiot guy who insists I sign the paper. And 3. A tiny piece of paper...  The pen was almost half the size of your little finger. Anyway the woman at the counter ended up reading the declaration? The thing you sign to visit people in prison for the first time, that thing. and everything was good again.) Also I have people trying to "help" Me. I'm sure they mean well and that's why I usually accept it, but some just annoy me one person when I was in college tried to help me by taking me to the other side of the street, they thought they were helping, turns out they  made it a little harder for me. So I'd like to know why you'd like to be blind or *shudders* cut out your eyes. Why can't you just be rachel, the person who helps the blind and helps those that need it? Changing your body shape or removing certain parts of it, won't change you and I doubt it would improve your life, again not cause blindness sucks, but because your family and friends would probably not understand, and you'd have to go to hospital for ages. I know you'll be okay, you're strong as you say in your post. Speaking of your post, I'm going to re read it. Note to self; don't read long interesting posts when half asleep... I really hope I've not offended you and others and made things worse. But that is what I got from your post so far. Like I said I'll re read it to see if I can understand more. smile

I'm gone for real :)

2014-11-22 23:54:59

Rach Rach,

Your explanation of the 2 ways your brain are fighting each other makes absolute perfect sense to me.  I deal with the same sort of internal struggle.  I think a lot of people's minds feel unified until they are put into a rare situation where 2 halves disagree strongly enough for them to be viewed as opposing sides.  Even in everyday situations, I am painfully aware of how different parts of my mind are working independently, and have their own sets of views, goals, and strategies for getting the rest to do things their way.  While your example broke it down to only 2 sides (logical and emotional), it seemed to spot-on that I really think we're talking about the same thing.

As a funny story, during college I hated going to class so much (mind-numbingly boring) that I'd go through these internal struggles about going to class or skipping.  For a short period of time each "part" of my mind would inevitably be the dominant decision maker.  When it was the turn of (one of) the part wanting me to skip class, I would actually turn and start driving away from the campus.  The plan was to force the other parts to give in to skipping class, since even when they were back in control the damage had been done.  I would be so far out of the way by that time, that even if I went to class I'd be considerably late.  Oh the mind-games those parts of my mind play on one another.  big_smile

My first post did oversimplify the situation when comparing it to things like tattoos.  Not meaning to sound offensive in any way, I think "society" would expect me to start out with any statement that might help persuade you to avoid giving up your sight.  Since I've already done my duty in the previous post, I think it's a bit more acceptable for me to move forward being more honest, neutral, and hopefully helpful.

This 13 year struggle that you're going through, pretty accurately fits in with things I have in my own life.  Based on things you've said and similarities I can see between you and I, I think we're both screwed.  ROFL!  Sounds terrible and not helpful, but this is the honest portion of the program.  smile  A portion of your mind is holding on to this idea like a steel trap, and all you've been able to do is survive, barely holding back, and slowly losing ground for 13 years.  I am absolutely in the same boat.  When your mind digs in its heals like this, I'm not aware of anything that can be done to change it.  Believe me, I've tried!  I've tried to manually override part of my mind for a third of my life, while making a very conscious effort nearly every day.  I've had no luck, and like you I feel that if anything, I've been losing ground.  I have no answer, and I'm dreadfully sorry to say that.

For me, burying myself in projects is a way to keep myself occupied.  As an audio game developer yourself, should you decide to continue the fight (against your other half), this is one way to do it.  As long as I think of the situation as a battle, it does tend to help me.  It gets the other parts riled up and defensive, keeping them from being so easily swayed by the arguments of the unwanted piece.

I have absolutely no idea what would speak to you on a deep enough level to work, but here's one idea off of the top of my head.  As a sighted audio games developer, you have a different set of "tools" available to you that blind developers do not have.  You would also be better equipped to play mainstream games to find new ideas and game concepts that can be introduced into this community.  Any hopes of bridging the gap between sighted games and blind games is going to (probably) come from a sighted developer.  (Sorry if that offends anyone who cannot see... it wasn't meant to)  You also have a much easier time earning money from a job to keep yourself independent.

If the way to hold your position in this war is to dedicate yourself to a cause, or projects (my strategy), then perhaps your cause can be to better the audio games community.  If this cause is important enough to you, then your sight (eyes) can then be accepted due to the above benefits they bring to the table.  Like a soldier who doesn't enjoy being shot at or taking the lives of others, the "why I am doing this" is what makes it all tolerable.  A truck driver probably comes to view his vehicle as a prison cell, but can deal with it by thinking of the family he is supporting with his pay checks.  Maybe seeing can be the burden you carry so that you can help this community in ways others can not.  *Shrugs*

Okay that seemed rather sappy and I sort of started to ramble on and on.  Maybe something I said will help in some way.  Also keep in mind that I've presented a way to continue the internal fight, because in my particular situation losing the battle is not an option.  You technically do have a choice to give in and life a fine life, and I don't want to seem like I'm saying you Shouldn't.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-11-23 00:04:07

brad wrote:

So I'd like to know why you'd like to be blind or *shudders* cut out your eyes. Why can't you just be rachel, the person who helps the blind and helps those that need it? Changing your body shape or removing certain parts of it, won't change you and I doubt it would improve your life, again not cause blindness sucks, but because your family and friends would probably not understand, and you'd have to go to hospital for ages. I know you'll be okay, you're strong as you say in your post. Speaking of your post, I'm going to re read it. Note to self; don't read long interesting posts when half asleep... I really hope I've not offended you and others and made things worse. But that is what I got from your post so far. Like I said I'll re read it to see if I can understand more. smile

I honestly wish I had the answer, Brad.

I know that no matter what happens I'm going to be the same person. I badly injured my foot 3 weeks ago, and honestly if that caused my foot to be amputated, we all know that I would still be the same Rachel regardless. But it's not like that.

It's like something doesn't match. In my brain. And it keeps asking me to achieve a vision of a Rachel that doesn't currently exist. And even though my logical side knows that it doesn't want this Rachel to exist, that beast is still begging. It gets stronger every time it's slain. And I am at the point that I know that it will eventually consume me. It's a matter of when. Even if this does happen I know that I won't be any different but it almost feels like a relief from this constant feeling.

This realization has caused incredible amounts of trauma in the last few days, and I've been just starting to reel myself in a bit back into reality.

And don't worry, nobody here has offended me. In fact you've done just the opposite. I find your posts an interesting perspective. Get some sleep ya nerd. Heh.

2014-11-23 00:07:52

Let me first start by saying that most of what I'm about to say relates to my own personal experience. It is not my intention to be offensive, or dismissive, as I sure hate when people do that to me.
Having said that, I want to share what I think is a similar experience to yours, and why I have firmly decided never to go through with it.

When I was growing up, my parents were never emotionally supportive of me at all. They constantly told me that everything I felt was either stupid, or they told me not to feel it. However, I was always a sensitive person. I also wasn't a very normal little girl. I enjoyed playing with cars as much as dolls, for instance, and, while I had a sizable collection of Barbies, I never enjoyed dressing them up and parading them around like nice girls are supposed to do. I more or less made up stories in my head about them as if they were actors or whatever. And the dolls I really enjoyed were those ones that were so popular in the 90's when I was growing up, the ones that went to the bathroom or got sick, or things of that nature.
I also had a history of physical fights with my sister, and occasionally making violent threats. I won't go into the details, but trust me, I don't think anyone really wants to know.
I got along better with the boys in my classes than the girls. This has been a personality trait that's stuck with me into adulthood as well. All my close friends are male, and I would be much more likely to approach a guy for friendship than a woman. And keep in mind that I'm talking about strictly platonic friendships here. This has actually gotten me in a lot of bad situations with ex-boyfriends, because they thought I shouldn't have guy friends while I was dating them. It was "unnatural", I've been told.
So, let's review the facts: 1. I was an angry, emotionally fragile child; 2. I was repeatedly yelled at, or hit, if I did not comply with demands to be less emotional; 3. I've always preferred the company of guys; 4. my play as a child was abnormal.

As I grew older, I began to reflect on my life and how I'd lived it. As a teenager, I began toying with the idea of gender reassignment surgery. I looked around me and saw guys who were allowed to express how they felt. Sure, "real men don't cry" and all that crap, but to be honest, I don't believe that applies as much in the 21st century as it once did. Hell, not even in the 20th--what's the one thing country singers say they're doing in about 98% of their songs? That's right--crying, shedding tears, walking the floor. And no one mocked those lyrics. Even rock and roll wasn't all about sex. The teen balladeers, the du-wap singers, knew how to capture that first heartbreak so well that it all became cliché.
Also, this is just a personal preference, but a certain degree of sensitivity in a man is extremely attractive to me. I don't want to date or be intimate with a brick wall, so to speak.
To get back to the topic, though, I became obsessed with how lucky guys were. They could be complete assholes and people respected them. I got it into my head that the only way anyone would ever take me seriously, or let me throw and smash things, use a punching bag, work out, or any number of other things to release anger, would be if I were a man.
So I thought about it and thought about it, but then something happened. I fell head over heels in love for the first time when I was 16.
And it was like a switch was flipped in my head. I realized that my decision to get an artificial penis wouldn't affect just me. The love of my life would have to deal with those ramifications, too. People I cared about would have to completely shift their attitudes about me and who I was, and how I fit into their lives.
Furthermore, I had been born a woman. I had the instincts, the mindset, to a degree, and the soul of a woman. Getting new genitalia wouldn't change that. You are who you are, no matter how flawed you may be. That's why alcoholics are predisposed to abusing the substance long before they take their first drink, or a gay or bisexual person is born that way. Most of what we are is included in our genetic makeup, and there's no changing that.

As I came to this realization, I also realized that, if I started toting testosterone, I might completely lose control. I might have become an abuser. The years and years' worth of rage, which still lives deep inside me, might have resulted in any number of criminal activities. This is why I keep such strict control over myself and my emotions, even today. I don't even want to think about what I would do were I allowed to feel the full force of the darkness that will probably always be inside of me.

Today, I'm still not normal. My parents still occasionally tell me not to feel a certain way, but their favorite tactic is to accuse me of being drunk if I express the slightest hint of anger. Because, y'know, there's a direct correlation between alcohol consumption and anger.
I often feel powerless, unprofessional, and many other things that are too painful to even put a name to. But you know what? I don't regret not giving into my impulses. Why? Simply put, people can only tolerate so much. I know the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence when you're going through it. You may even want to get back at the people who doubted you or belittled you. But in the end, this is your body and your life. What sacrifices would you need to make if you lost your vision? Do you have a job? Depending on what it is, particularly if people were to find out how you became blind, you could easily lose it and end up knowing the harsh realities of trying to struggle to get by on SSI. Do you have a car? Well, unless you've got hordes of cash stashed away to pay a personal chauffeur, getting from point A to point B will be a little tougher. I know, personally, that I would give anything in the world just to jump in a car, preferably something loud and fast, and just drive and drive until I couldn't possibly stay awake any longer, just to see how many state lines I could cross. It would be the most freeing, gratifying experience I could ever dream of. Just me, and a highway.

Look, I don't mean to sound so bitter. I don't mean to imply that I know best. I just want you to think about how life-altering losing a sense would be. It's not all bad being blind, but it's not a bowl of cherries, either. People will look down on you. People will manhandle you as you walk down the street, just because they think that they know where you're going, and you don't, because you're a poor, helpless, blind slob. People will hate you, because people hate what they fear. You will have to put up with people repeatedly asking you how you eat, how you use the bathroom, how you exist. People will pray over you, may even exorcise you (this did happen to me once.)
If, after you've weighed the pros and cons, if your emotional side still wins...It's your life. If that is honestly what's best for you, then go for it. But I understand. I understand wanting to be a completely different person, but I also know that no one can ever fully shake the hand they've been dealt. We were all created the way we were for a reason. What that reason is is irrelevant to this discussion, but we are all definitely who we are for some purpose.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-11-23 01:39:54

Hi.

Time to tell my story, I think.
It's meant to be quite childish in parts. I'll explain more about that later.

It was a cold and dark night... what! it was.

Well it was around seven in the evening and it was cold, and dark. I was walking with my mum to the doctors for some reason. I was around 8 maybe 9? I don't know. Anyway we went to the doctors with my brother in the pram. (stroller I think they call it in America.) So after this doctors visit, we went to my nans. Why we went there, i didn't know. I even asked my mum and got told to "shut up!"

Anyway I ended up living there. I remember my first night. I was playing with my new toy I got from the library In school. It was a phone toy, and you press buttons and it makes nice sounds. Man that toy was awesome!

You wonna know the best part of that night, Audio game community? The best part, the most awesomest part? No arguments! No more would I have to here, all those bad words that I wasn't meant to say, but said inside my head anyway cause they sounded funny... No more would i smell that icky stuff my mum and dad drunk on a daily bassess. No more would I get told I was a bad boy. I wasn't! I didn't brake anything but I got the blame. "Oh Brad broke the lamp. brad broke the toys." Brad, this, brad that. No more would I get smacked for doing nothing. And the sofa. (couch.) Man that was the most comfiest thing I'd ever slept on. Oh and I got audiobooks on tape. wow, they were awesome too!

I thought i was the luckiest 10 year old ever!

And here's where the story turns from a nice story to a story I wish I didn't have to live...

I was 11 and had made a friend in school. His name was Guilllermo. ghe yer, mo. And I thought he was quite awesome. We'd have fun talking and throwing grass at eatch other. So I told him i was being bullied, and I told him about the arguments before I lived with my nan. I told him everything!
And you wonna know what he did? He turned against me. When the bully would bully me, he'd join in. or just stand there. Now keep in mind the guy was strong. Of course he was. Couldn't have a week person getting all the girls attentions when he went on holiday, now could we? Oh noooooo. ahum, sorry, kind of side tracked there...

Anyway, he stood there, while I was kicked, punched, dragged over tarmac. IF you don't know what that is, it's a rubber like stuff that people put down on roads. It has stones in it. I was dragged from one end of the pitch to another. And when ever I'd tell a teacher.  They'd do nothing about it. nothing at all! My nan got involved and still they did nothing.

I left that place with a mistrust of adults and hating those students I hung around with.

Moving onto college...

I left Lindon Lodge to go to, RNC college.

In this college I met a guy, Richard. Who I thought was my friend, how wrong I was.

He met a girl, Aliya, and they soon started going out. He was lazy and she was no better. Fat and lazy, the both of them.  I was bullied there too. I wasn't confident. Would you have been if you were kicked down all the time you tried to fit in? Would you be, if the teachers didn't help even though they said they didn't support bullying? Well in this college I got thrown into Richards room, to here him and his fat ugly girlfriend have sex. It was stupid sex too. All oooo baby, yeah, and all that shit. stupid sounds!
He locked the door so I couldn't get out.

Another time, I was strangled, by Richard just because I wouldn't give in and go into there fucking room, get it? fucking room, because they fucked in there? No, no? Oh well, I guess I'm crazy.

Also, I got beaten up in the student services, and all the idiots did in there was tell the bastard, no fighting in the student services.  Oh great, yeah tell him that. Idiots. So what does he do, he drags me out side with his fat girlfriend, side note, she has a huge ass, nice and soft and all that. Tries to "Help" By saying stop Richard, don't do that baby. God she made me sick.
All that nice fakeness. Idiot. Doesn't she get it? It wasn't going to work. That wasn't going through my mind. What was going through my mind at that time was this; oh great here we go again.

SO I get dragged to their room, and thrown on the Flor then they just sit there... Wow what a waste of time that was.

Oh and do you know, I tried to help the fat bitch and her ugly boyfriend twice?

Once was when the idiot tried to kill himself...

So I'm lying there in bed, when I sense something's wrong, I've always believed in this sense, so I get up rush out the door and into Richards room. he's on the phone. "Baby, I'm sorry I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do it." Side note, I still don't know what he didn't mean to do. probably cheated or something. She's crying. "Brad, brad! help him." ha! finally the bitch needs me to do something for her. She says. "I'm coming over" Hangs up and does just that.
While she's getting her fat ass over to campal hall I talked to Richard.

He showed me the knife he was going to use to slit his wrists with. The fucking knife wasn't even that sharp. Stupid idiot wouldn't have even gotten to the, "ow! shit! this hurts!" stage. It was that blunt. It was one of those knifes in that thing with a bottle opener and other things in it. I can't remember what it's called.

Anyway, she comes over, they talk, they kiss, they make me want to throw up. They, don't! Thank me, oh noooo. So I go back to bed.

Second  time.

The fat bitch was sick.

So I thought I'd be nice and stay in her room and look after her. while her boyfriend was gone. Did  I get  a thank you? Did I hell!
Richard; "Why are you here?"
Me; "I was looking after Aliya"
Richard; "She can look after herself."
Me; "Oh..."

This was after about 2 and a half hours of hearing her snore while he had gone to some bar or something.

Hey, now I think about it, maybe I should have touched her. You no, touched all the "bad" areas. Wouldn't that have been fun?
But then I'd probably get told off or something. Oh well, it was just an idea.

So I told on those two and again got the exact same treatment as before.

Well not exactly the same. Richard got moved closer to his girlfriend and I was stuck in the same fucking room for 3 months.

Explain to me how exactly Richard was being punished?

Here's the strange thing. Richard and I, are good friends now. After she broke up with him and he realized I was write all along.

Random bits of info, I didn't tell in the story.

1. I like women who are soft.

This is probably cause they have soft tummies and you can lie on them and they make funny sounds. What? I'm a kid at heart, haven't you noticed yet?

2. There was two sides to me in college and school. Well three actually.

There was good Brad, he always wanted to do good things and help others. There was bad Brad, he wanted to  break people and make them go away! Then there was sad Brad. He... or should I say I, just couldn't care anymore and realized that life wasn't about others it was about you and what you made of it. Even though most of the world is fucked up.

Sad Brad, always came out on top. Of course he did. He knew that people were idiots, long before good brad and bad Brad did.

He, I, knew, when I was bullied, I knew when I was being told not to feel things. "You can't be week, only pussies are week!" I knew when I was bullied into doing something I didn't want to do. "Come on, you fucking idiot, just put your fucking finger in the toy!" It was a shock toy. There was a arrow, which spins around and if the arrow landed on you, you got a little shock. I knew when I had to agree because if I didn't I'd get shouted at. "Stupid fucking niggers and pakis. (Pakistanis) coming to my fucking country and taking our jobs!" My grandad. Couldn't the fucking idiot see that we are all the same?

3. I helped so many people in that damn school and college to, but never got thanked for
it. No, instead I just got stabbed in the back.

4. There was a kid Brad once, I don't know what happened to him. He liked hugs and touching and playing and tummies and soft things. Guess he's around somewhere just not aloud to come out a lot.

So I know what Aprone and Rach Rach are saying when they feel like there's 2 or 3 sides to them.

Few, that was fun.

I'm okay for those that are wondering. I went to counseling, and that kind of helped a tiny bit. Although I never told them about the different sides of me.

I'm starting a pottery class soon, that should be fun. I get to touch soft things. (clay. although it can be hard too!) and make pots. smile

I hope you enjoyed this post. smile Always trie to be happy no matter what.

2014-11-23 03:13:20

TurtlePower, I have a female friend who has had bad experiences because she gets on better with men than women. She had issues with their girlfriends seeing her as competition, thinking she was trying to seduce their boyfriends. Frankly I just think some people are what would have traditionally been called masculine or feminine in their interests and it has little to do with gender, in fact that same friend seems equally happy handmaking greetings cards or listening to the rugby on the radio. For all I know she might do both at the same time. Personally I get on really well with tomboys, sometimes I do find them attractive but it really is more than that. Sensitive tomboys are some of the loveliest people I've known.

Aprone and Rachel, that all sounds very familiar. I know with my depression it feels very much like you describe, and when I'm able to bringing in my stubborn side can help tremendously. I can be very stubborn when I want to be, something I get from my mother who is frustratingly stubborn on reflex without thinking about whether it's to her benefit or not. I like to think I at least have some discretion in my use of it but the fact remains it's one of the few ways that has any real impact and gives any real relief when I feel like that. It's just unfortunately very difficult to push through all the emotions to reach it.

Personally I was bullied despite being sighted all the way through school without remorse, my father did something rather unethical and as a result killed himself when I was about 9 when the police got on his trail, my mother was as damaged as I am it seems, my mother's side of the family have always been extremely dysfunctional and my father's side showed utterly no affection with my paternal grandmother simply using us as an excuse to brag to everyone about all the things she was doing for us. Only my mother and sister even seemed to care even a little, and even then I was never able to open up to them. All this before losing my sight which was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.

I wouldn't say being blind is something you can't live with, I would say it's a genuine and massive pain in the arse. When combined with what is essentially emotional trauma going back through your entire life, that's what makes it difficult. In a sense it kind of feels like my heart is trying to swim through treacle or something, I know that sounds absurd but that's how it feels and it's painful. When you have a rough spot it really can shake you to your core and make you incredibly nervous for days. I'm feeling a little teary just recalling this, that's how powerful it is. Do your best and try to hold on to yourself, hopefully at least some of us can break its hold eventually and at least we can say we tried. If we all feel similarly then there must be thousands of others in the world who do as well, it's small comfort but I don't believe we're an anomaly or somehow inferior.

cx2
-----

2014-11-23 03:35:47

hi.
@cx2 thing is, blindness is a pain in the arse for those that have had sight before, I think.
I think those that are blind are just used to this life. The ups and the downs of it all.

Someone once asked me, if I could get my site back, would I do it. I said straight away, no. They were shocked. Think about it, why would I want something I've never had in the first place? The only two things I can think of having site for, which would be worth anything to me would be. 1. Being able to look at women and form an opinion on them and there bodies. My family have told me, oh if only you could see, oo look at her, she has a huge ass, huge breasts,. It pisses me off that i can't see that, but then I think, well at least I'm not as stupid as my father is to mention it in front of the women. But honestly I can live without that and don't need it to live. And it's wrong to have women looked at like that. I highly doubt many women want to be seen as objects that people are aloud to look at. Although saying that, some don't care and it's those women I like. smile They don't care about there body and are prowd of it.

2. Videogames. I would love to play a video game just once. You no?  a full on sighted video game, with cars and guns and fighting and jumping and collecting stars,and getting coins and... other things.

I would want site for that. It would be really nice. But I doubt it will ever happen simply cause I would probably reviews all treatments. Not that I think there's any for R.O.P. Or the type that I have.

2014-11-23 04:23:03

Hey, I thought I would just let everyone know that I feel a lot better about myself than back on Thursday. I think I got over this pivotal point in my journey. I really appreciate your words. I'll try my hardest. I promise. Use my demons for good. I know that I feel that there will be a day that they overtake me and my need to change myself will come to fruition... but even if that does happen I can at least walk with no regrets. I promise that I will tie all my shoelaces, that's the least I can do. And maybe there will be more, who knows. But I promise that whatever happens that I'll stay around. And maybe calling them "demons" is a bit of a misnomer. They have given me a gift of empathy and desire to understand that I've never would have had before this. I'm really exhausted though. I cried... a lot. I was afraid that my realizations would ostracize me. But then I realized how much you all, and my friends, really cared about me. And it was amazing that everyone that I know would at least be willing to accept things, if I did eventually fulfill my desires.

You have no idea how much it means to me that none of you judge me for this. Seriously. I was worried about coming out to you guys, expecting being called selfish and throwing my life away... but you guys gave me the support I needed. Thank you so much. I am indebted to you for so much. Please know that even though I may not always agree with every one on this forum that you are all good people. That we may never be able to understand these differences about ourselves from an external perspective, or maybe we can and we just don't know it until someone brings it up. But the fact that you all have been willing to see past that shows how good of people you really are. Please never forget this. I love all of you.

2014-11-23 06:34:12

Hi Rach Rach.
No problem smile We're all here to help one another. Sometimes we agree with things and other times we might not. But that's the point of a great forum like this.

2014-11-23 08:55:58

Brad, a few points.

First noone ever said it's wrong to look at people of whatever gender you're attracted to, apart from potentially a few extreme religious types. What is wrong is full on ogling, essentially it's the difference between an appreciative glance and a full on stare. That said looks aren't everything and I've learned to cope with this, even though I, ahem, had some issues early on in my sight loss with this issue.

Secondly mainstream games are something I miss dearly and would be great if we could play them somehow, but still we can dream of finding a partner who has an interest in them as well that we could share in some fashion.

My main description of it being a pain in the arse refers mostly to a combination of having to use public transport which at least in my area is always hot and stuffy making me feel a little unwell using it, general difficulty working out routes and the fact that sighted people ironically rarely look where they're going. Perhaps having once been sighted I feel this more than someone blind from birth but the fact that the world is predominantly designed by and for sighted people really is a monumental nuisance.

cx2
-----

2014-11-23 10:22:01

Yo,
I had a weird story last two years.
Here there are three kinds of schools which we have to get a diploma or certificate or whatever you wanna call it. The primary school, the high school or college and university. Only primary school offers special items or lessons for blinds, then in the high school, we have to study like all the other studentts who may be blind, sited or whatever. The same goes for university. So three years ago I finished my primary school and went to the school of linguistics which is almost the same as a high school, but you have to study two languages, like English and Italian or german, +one which is third. I got a young English teacher about 28 or 30, giving me lessons everyday. And one day she called me: Afrim. - yeah? - may I ask you a question? - sure!
If one day, a person asked you “how do you describe me”? How do you say, or how do you describe somebody. For example your professors or teachers.
I seriously got stunned because it was a question I had never thought about, and it sounded really strange to me, as I said in my mind, “what is she talking about?”
As I have no way of describing one person, I answered: “I really have no idea”, and the conversation ended.
The description consist of the beauty of the face, his/her attractiveness and other stuff.
However last year she insisted again on asking me that question.
She wanted to get a full answer now.
And I answered again, but this time more extensively.
She said: how do you describe me?
I told her that there is no way of describing one person since you don’t know what the colors are, and what does each color stand for. For example, I don’t know if a blond girl is more beautiful than a brunette one. But a mischievous girl said: Afrim, I assure you that she is very pretty.
I had heard this phrase from my best friend frequently saying: “ man, she got a pretty face with long hair, which make her perfect-looking. She fits perfectly to you. If one day you could fuck her, you would feel on top of the world.
LOL but I couldn’t say this in front of her but these opinions stood only in my mind and I hardly wanted to laugh because of what I was told from my friends.
This time the ring rang, and the lesson ended along with the conversation.
However this was a question I had never come across with, and sometimes it comes to mind as an interesting one. I really ask myself sometimes, how does she look like. “not only for that young teacher but for all in general”
So far there is no answer, unfortunately!

2014-11-23 10:26:58 (edited by Rach Rach 2014-11-23 10:29:39)

You know, this is just my opinion, but I don't really think there's anything wrong with being a girl or a boy. This is why I've always supported transgender individuals (outside of my own struggles with identity) because I mean fundamentally there's nothing wrong with being a boy or a girl and there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a boy or a girl either. I always just wrote it off to the curiosity that I'm sure that we all feel about a different way of life, but set to a ridiculous extreme. That's kind of what I go through too and I can talk about my problems involving identity to many of them because we fundamentally share a lot of the same feelings. But instead of wanting to mutilate their genitalia I want to mutilate my eyes.

At least you could write an argument fairly easily to why wanting to become blind has negative consequences. If gender changing was something that was a completely flawless and instantaneous process I think there would be absolutely no reason why there should be anything wrong with it - like 90% of the problem that transgender individuals face is the physical problems with hormone therapy and surgery, and the stigma they get from it. I know a lot of people get this idea of the fact that "you're not being who you are" but it's weird, because those people are looking at who you are on the outside. And I think we all agree that fundamentally, whether it's being transgender, BIID or whatever that we can change who we are on the outside but who we are on the inside is always something that will be with us.

It's like people who are blinded in accidents or lost their vision because of something like random retinal detatchment or something. Those people aren't any different after their change. So why is it that people think that after someone willingly changes themselves that somehow they're erasing who they are? It's always something that's been kind of a mystery to me.

2014-11-23 15:09:11

hi,
my views on blindness: contrary to what most blind people and blindness organizations claim, blindness is a disability.  It is not a minor inconvenience. It is not like hight, eye color or hair color. It is a serious disability. More serious than deafness in my opinion. Though there are more serious disability types such as deaf blindness and mental impairment.  I do not view blindness as a part of me, or part of my personality.  Blindness does not define  me. I view it only as a physical disability and a medical condition.  Blindness determines what you can and cannot do.  For instance, I am currently studying english language teaching in one of Turkey's best universities (middle east technical university). My blindness caused me to make this job choice.  Teaching is the best job in turkey a blind person can do. If I had been sighted I would have gone for medicine or genetics.  But my blindness prevents me from doing these jobs. At one time I also contemplated being a computer tech.  Cleaning off infected pcs etc. However since I would need help in safe mode and while using antimalware boot CDs, I again abandoned one of my dreams. Personally I would give anything to have sight, both because of the reasons above, and the possibility of developing a hearing impairment in my medical condition.  So my recommendation to you rach rach, is Not to self-blind yourself.  It might seem apealing to you at first, but you will deeply regret it if you do this. The world is built for sighted people. Blindness brings with it mobility and travel issues, in adition to accessibility issues.  It also brings with it socialisation issues. Most girls don't want to date a blind guy. Also people  can avoid you because of your blindness.
anyway, sorry for the long post

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-11-23 18:20:51

Well said John.  I completely agree.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-11-23 23:42:52

@enes
I'd say that you're right. It's almost the same for me in Albania, because we have almost the same culture and customs. I don't know why he's willing to take away his vision, I really dream to have it one day. But if I don't have it, it's not a problem to be considered, I used to live like all blinds in the world.
I don't know the mentality or opinions of people in America or anywhere else, but here a blind person has to suffer a lot to make a good life. The blinds are welcomed and people help them much here, for example crossing the streat or moving around a place, but when asking a girl weather she'd choose to spend her life with a blind, you will get them confused. They do really appreciate how we learn, study and sometimes are envious about our intelectuall knowledges. But asking the question above you may get a negative answer.
So try to save and protect your vision, cause it'll be late one day. if it was better being blind, more people would do it for sure. So, please, for your sake, try to change your opinions, and live your life naturally, how you were born. Having found a great environment among other blind people doesn't mean to become like them.
sorry if this sounds a little offensive to anybody, but I consider very problematic what you're willing to do.

Again,
Sorry and have a good time!

2014-11-24 00:11:09

hi,
I agree with afrim.
blindness causes social isolation.  People will iether think your not knowledgeable about any subject or multiplely disabled.  They will avoid you as a consequence. Some things that are trivial for sighted people are tough for me. For example, walking from place to place.  Here most areas 99.9% of everywhere is primarily built for ssighted people.
road surfaces might be broken, there might be no curb to indicate the road etc. 
getting around in vast open spaces is chalenging for a totally blind person.  You have no sense of orientation.  Blind people can't just walk and forget.  Blind people need to memorize roots in extreme detail in order not to get lost.  Even if you do memorize roots, this does not garantee that you won't get lost. If you do get lost, finding your way back without sighted help can be extremely chalenging.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."