2014-11-20 22:39:17

Hello Everyone.
I just found this book the other day called the undying by ethan reid. It's really good zombies everywhere fireballs falling from the sky all that good stuff. I thought I'd tell people about this since it's the kind of book that I think people who liked we're alive would like.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-11-21 16:41:37

Glad it is a good read. I have a copy of the audio but have not read it yet. I confess zombie wise I've been a little disappointed of late.

I read some of Mark Tufo's Zombie fallout series, but was not impressed, mostly because the main character was a really unpleasant right wing american nutcase who kept rambling on about "A man's duty" and everyone female was either pathetic or waspish, there was also far too much toilet humour, ie, descriptions of bad smells for the sake of it (gore is one thing,but intensive descriptions of how zombies smell like public toilets is quite another). Also the books seemed to be build to a climax and go no where, indeed had I not really badly hurt my arm at the time and was quite limited in reading matter I probably wouldn't have bothered finishing the series.

I then tried Peter Clines X heroes series, which had the idea of super heroes plus the zombocalypse. It would've been okay if he'd stuck to the idea, however each book got a bit random and introduced more and more rubbish, for example one had demons, and because most of his heroes were nearly invincible to zombies the books felt a little unfare on the ordinary humans. They did have some good ideas and action sequences, indeed i actually liked the light he painted the Us military in, and also I have to give some credit for a fellow Whovian (he mentions Classic and modern Who several times and even has a couple of in jokes), however all in all they were rather meh, a bit of fun, but generally forgettable over all.

Earlier this year I read world war Z by Max Brooks, which had some lovely pictures of international countries. My only two problems however were that firstly it concentrated waaaaaaay too much on America to supposedly be a world war, andsecondly that with showing us a lot of survivers, most of the surviver stories ended in random places and didn't get follow up. Indeed, I was sort of annoyed that we got three or four segments from the American army captain, but only a couple from much more interesting people, the young girl trapped in the snows in Canida, or the chinese neuclear sub in a community in the south seas, not to mention the Muslim in Israil forced to change his mind about Jews when he found that zombies were worse! Really, compared to all those places and stories, America and the ausomeness of the Us military just didn't do it for me, ---- oh, and it didn't help that his one single and only character representing the Uk was some old lord talking about how Jolly fine castles were and how those bloody nasty zombies were kept out of the twoer of London, where the Jolly old queen was still doing her bit for good old blighty what what old bean! big_smile.

So, yes, good story, but a little lacking in parts.

By far the single best modern Zombie story I've read is Justin Cronin's passage series, namely the Passage and it's sequel, the twelve. The zombies aren't exactly zombies, they're somewhat like vampires and somewhat just plane monstrous, and the society and world are really well put together, indeed one thing I love about the passage books is that they don't concentrate on the time immediately after the zombocalypse but have bits of setup during the zombocalypse itself, then most of the books set 90 years later in a very different world with some quite unique ideas.

What particularly makes the passage books awsome though are the characters, just like in We're Alive, including the fact that the books are very unpredictable on who will and will not survive and how. I'm hoping the third book, the City of Mirrors will be out soon. In the mean time I'd recommend the first two to anyone.

The books have been compared rather to The Stand, though for me they have a somewhat different feel.

Apart from We're alive and Justin Cronin, both of which are absolutely awsome, I will confess most modern zombie fiction hasn't done it for me. I'll gladly try some more stuff, including Ethan Read but it does seem the genre is getting to be rather dominated by standard tropes which doesn't make for stories that really keep you on the edge of your seat if you can predict what is happening.

This indeed is probably why I will always be a bigger fan of scifi or fantasy, sinse then you have a hole new world to explore with it's own rules, customs and characters, not just our own world gone a bit bad. Then again, something like Justin Cronin's the passage might come along and make me completely change my mind, and mayby Ethan read will too, I don't know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-22 00:43:19

Hi Dark.
Well your definitly right after we're alive and the passage series it's really hard to find a story that is just as good. Ethan reid is definitly not in the same league as justin cronin but he's still good all the same. I hope cronin will release city of mirrors pretty soon since he said it was coming this year. One thing I don't understand is that cronin resolved so much in the twelve I wonder how much more story is their?
My only disappointment is that the undying is only from the point of view from one person at least so far. I miss having an ensemble cast since that's what I was expecting but his characters are believable anyway. And it's not your typical story where zombies just pop up out of nowhere it's sort of a combination of things that caused the appocalypse which I like a lot.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-11-22 16:02:16

Well my issue with a lot of the zombie books I've read and indeed films i've seen is with the exception of The Twelve they have all done very much the same thing, there will always be a crazy military/police person, someone trying to make their own empire, always the usual failed siege scene, the person infected by zombie virus who must be killed, the inevitable romance (often with a helpless woman rescued from the zombie hoards), the usual grief montage, the scrabble for guns, the long discussion of how bad society was to let this happen etc. Really all of these can be seen in the original I am Legend by Richard Matheson, the book first published in the mid sixties that the film night of the Living dead was based on, ---- heck all of this happens in dAy of the Triffids which was written in 1953 (while it has walking plants instead of zombies and a world population made blind it's remarkabl how similar it is to the usual zombocalypse, albeit a pretty well written one being Mr. John Wyndham, though not imho his best book). The reason I enjoyed both We're Alive and The Passage series is that they did something very different, especially as regards realistic characters, it's also notable that both didn't just follow the standard zombie motief but had some different takes, the evolving zombies of we're alive and the different attributes of the jumps in The Passage.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a good splatter fest. The film Zombie Land or the anime Highschool of the dead are both hilarious! but if I'm going to take the time to read a book I'd rather have something a little less predictable.

I'll certainly give Undying a try, though to be honest with Audio Defense, zombie exodus (which I played quite recently), and the other authors I mentioned I'll probably stay away from zombie fiction for a while, indeed I've just finished reading World of Ice and Fire, the history of the game of thrones world, and will now either grab some sf or go back to working my way through the earlier Dr. Who audios from Big finish, which i've been really enjoying.

Beware! Possible spoilers for The passage series.

Last I heard, City of Mirrors isn't going to be out until next year unfortunately. Regarding content, I do see what you mean sinse with The Twelve getting rid of most zombies and resolving a lot of the plots with the colony I wonder where else there is to go. I actually originally thought the "city of mirrors" mentioned was going to be the big zombie habitation which horace guilder was building in the Homeland for the Twelve, and that the last book would deal with the war between Texus and The Homeland and the destruction of The Twelve, although that didn't happen.

On the other hand, we've had hints about Manning and Zero throughout the hole series, and with the way the previous two books worked I don't think we've heard all of the details of how the appocalypse happened, and in partiuclar the connection between manning and the virus, heck, it wouldn't surprise me if Zero was doing the same as Babcock and had his own little comunity he was ruling over somewhere, sinse it seems more people survived than was initially thought, and Zero has been a lirking presence in the previous two books so it's understandable he gets his own ending.

Btw, I'm also pleased there is another book sinse I didn't like where alicia was left. She's one of my favourite characters and I was genuinely shocked what happened to her in The Homeland.

My only miner issue with the Passage is Cronin going "oh well only survivers in America the rest of the world just stopped" which is a rather irritating viewpoint, I'd have preferd if he just left what happened to the rest of the world as an unknown, though he might answer this question later as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)