2014-11-20 20:38:36

hi. I have a persisting problem with my pc. i reformatted my pc about 2 months ago so i don't have much on it but when i press alt enter on my c:\ drive it shows me that i have 40 gb used. i went in c:\ and checked all the folders there. i have about 6 folders there all are made by windows like users, windows, program files and soon. the problem is that if i combine all the used space that it shows for each folder it is around 10 gb only. so what happened to 30 gb? why are they used also?
i reinstalled windows because i had this problem before and i didn't had enough space on c:\ but when i checked individually each folder there was much space that didn't show there. has anyone any ideas about what's happening?

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2014-11-20 21:00:29

When you reinstalled you did do a reformat didn't you? Because if you just installed over the top it wouldn't remove anything. You could always turn on viewing hidden files, run a search for all files and try to sort it by file size.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-21 09:35:56

yep. I did a reformat. I will do that and see what results do I get.

Stephen King

2014-11-21 12:05:12

maybe it has been occupied by windows temperary and system restore files.
turn system restore off and then see what happens.

All the best,
Adel, Akbari.

2014-11-21 15:04:38

also, after you did a fresh install of windows, try to use disk cleanup to clean all the unnecessary files that didn't use. this could help also.
hth,
Socheat.

2014-11-21 17:03:33 (edited by afrim 2014-11-21 17:04:42)

yeah, try disk cleanup, select all the unnecessary files, such as temp and other stuff, click delete all files, and see what happens.
I do this frequently, especially when I have a lot of activities on progress, and after I finish them, I perform a disk cleanup. Sometimes, it goes up to 4 GB, and, about a year ago, I heard jaws saying: "you can use disk cleanup to free 7.9.4 GB on your harddisk space"

That was funny but true!

2014-11-21 19:00:14

Disclaimer!!
Some of the advice I'm about to give you has the potential to make recovery from computer issues extremely difficult, if not impossible.
Further, a couple things will disable features of your computer that you may want to use.
I take no responsibility for crashes/problems that occur later; follow at own risk.
With that out of the way, here's what's probably hogging your space:
I'm going to presume you've got a pretty large disk (>500gb) and a few gb of ram (4 or >). If any of that info's wrong, let me know.
If you're running windows 7, scratch 15gb right now for the os alone.
Compressing the windows folder can help with this, but you probably won't get back more than a couple gb.
If you're running windows xp, its 2-4 (maybe more, but no more than 10 if you have a whole lot of stuff installed) and again, compression may give you 20-30% back if you're lucky.
The items you're not seeing in c: are these:
*pagefile
*hiberfile (hibernation file)
*system restore
First, let's work on the pagefile. Before you do anything with this, make sure you have more than enough ram to keep your os happy on memory alone. This means:
*windows xp: 1gb or more, 2gb highly recommended
*windows7: at least 4gb
If you don't have this much, you're likely to see performance issues and possibly crashes if you disable or shrink the pagefile.
Pagefile is equal to your ram (if you have 4gb ram, 4gb disk space is used.)
You can change the pagefile size (or disable it entirely) by doing the following:
go to control panel>system
in windows 7, go to change settings
go to the advanced tab, and select the virtual memory button.
You'll have a list of all the drives on your computer, and what their pagefile status is.
To change this, select c:, tab over and set it to custom size.
Warning! if you disable the pagefile on all drives you'll get the most space, but you may cause your system to become unstable, and if it crashes, you won't have debugging information.
In custom size, set it to something like 32-512 mb (min-max).
That'll give you a sizable chunk of disk space back, but we're not done.
Next up is system restore. Exit out of the pagefile dialog, choosing ok until you're back at the system properties window. Do not reboot yet.
Make your way to the system protection (or system restore) tab.
The instructions for configuring system restore varry from os to os, so I'll cover them individually.
For xp:
If you'd prefer to disable system restore completely, simply check the "turn off system restore on all drives" box. This will however, prevent you from using system restore to recover later, so I'd advise against it unless you want to reformat every time there's a problem.
To change the amount of space used:
Tab over to the list of drives, and select c:
press tab, and select settings.
Now simply move the slider around to control what percent of your disk can be used by system restore.
If you have a large disk, its perfectly fine to set this to 1 or 2%.
Press ok, apply and get out of system properties. Do not reboot yet.
for windows 7:
Again, from the system protection tab, do the following:
Tab over to the list of drives, and select c:
tab over to configure, and select it.
You now have the option to either disable system restore (see above for warnings) or to move the slider to to change the percentage of disk used.
Again, if you have a big disk, 1-2% is perfectly fine.
Once you're done, exit out of system settings, answering no to reboot prompts.
This should give you an extremely large pile of disk space back (up to whatever percentage the slider was at). System restore can hog 50gb in very little time at all.
Finally, we're going to work on the hiberfile.
Hiberfile, like pagefile, is as big as your ram is.
If you don't use hibernation (or hybrid sleep on windows 7) you can go ahead and disable this, and reclaim some space.
To disable hibernation (any os):
press windows r to open the run dialog.
type cmd and hit enter
now type the following:
powercfg /hibernate off
exit
and reclaim another pile of disk space.
You'll need to reboot for these to take affect, so go ahead and do that, and enjoy a nice, free drive.

2014-11-21 19:15:27

A reformat should clear out most temporary files so you'd only have a relatively small amount left from the windows install, though clearing these out isn't a bad practice. Rather than using the windows tool I prefer CCleaner from piriform.com but make sure you go through the options and turn off anything you want to keep for the web browser you use.

Thanks for the tip about hibernate, I didn't know about that one.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-11-22 14:37:29

wow, thanks for the tips at post 7.

2014-11-22 23:21:38

I didn't know the tip about hibernating, either. Thanks for that.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-11-24 11:37:41

hi.
@john: thanks for the tips. I have a large disc in deed, 500 gb and I decided not to mess with these files unless it is really necessary. for the moment I have enough space left and I am not worried but I thought it was a virus causing this.

Stephen King