2014-11-17 23:15:10

Hi.
I have a fan fic downloader but I don't know who made it. I think it's aimed towards the blind.

Anyway, my idea is this. I don't know if it's possible or not, if it is awesome, if not it's just an idea.

Could someone make a program that would allow you to copy and paste a link of a user profile into it and it would download the story's altermaticly instead of you having to do it? I don't know how possible this is since it would have to find the story and how it would no what is a story and what isn't I don't know, but if it could be done that would be amazing.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-11-18 04:25:31

Yo,
First of all, yeah, that would be really cool if it could go through that person's stories and download them all. Second of all, can I have a link to that fanfic downloader? I need one right now since it looks like flagfic is still, down.

2014-11-18 05:59:45

Hi.

yeah sure. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/229 … -setup.exe

Enjoy and happy fan fic downloading.

2014-11-18 09:55:30

story master does this with ff.net, but that site sends you stories to your email and is too slow for my liking.

This is why I use ficsave.

2014-11-18 11:52:01

Is there a homepage for this programme?

2014-11-18 12:11:31

The site is http://allinaccess.com.

That program may support more sites, but I doubt it'll stay free.

There are other sources that can get fanfics for free, ficsave being one, that site is only starting out, and once flagfic returns, that's another.

And story master isn't bad, if you're not in a hurry to get your story.

2014-11-18 13:34:39

Hi,

It would be somewhat tough to do, but it's certainly not impossible I reckon.. Fanfiction.net doesn't link stories to authors in their stories through the URL so you'd have to write some sort of crawler to go through the 'author stories' section of an author's profile, get the links that start with fanfiction.net/s/ and download those stories.  It's doable ...I could probably do it if I had some time but I really don't. This would be doable in a language like Python without too much fuss I think.

2014-11-18 20:41:34

Hi.
I've contacted the site owner and hopefully a feature will be added.

I said I was willing to pay for new features. Which I am. I understand how hard it would be. Well I'm not a programmer so really I don't, but I'm sure it will be hard. So if we pay lets say $10 for it, that should help him. Maybe you pay #10 and get these featrues but can download the free version if  you don't want these features.

2014-11-23 00:46:17

So am I understanding correctly that these sites, like Ficsave, require that you put in the url for each individual fanfic?
When you do this, does it download all the chapters, or do you have to keep putting the url for each chapter into the edit field?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-11-23 03:17:27

Just put in the URL from the first chapter and you should get the entire story.

2014-11-23 03:24:40

hi.
As cool_turk has said.
You get the URL of the story from the authors page, then paste it into the site or the fan fic downloader. Then click on download save it to where you want and you're done.

I'd personally recommend the fan fic downloader. Since the program is fast, free and takes very little time to download the stories.

2014-11-23 06:10:33

Cool, thanks. I'll try the fanfic downloader.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-11-23 15:03:50

Hi,
@brad, does the software accessible?

2014-11-23 16:04:33

Hi.
yes it's 100% accessible.

2014-11-24 11:17:08

It should be easy in python. It goes something like this:
(note, I have next-to-none knowledge of python, so the developers feel free to correct me)
<<<start python>>>
# imports

import re
import requests
from bs4 import beautiful_soup
# getting the data

url = raw_input("please enter a url:")
# todo: implementing author name only downloading, should be easy
unprocessed_data = requests.get(url)
data = unprocessed_data.text
l=[]
soup = beautiful_soup(data)
# now to do the url getting:
for tag in soup.find_all('a'):

for x in tag.get('href'):
        # todo: learn re enough to seperate out the string which have /s/ in them, something like j = re.search(x, */s/*). * symbolizes every character
        l.append(j)
for x in l:
    # todo: find a way to scrape stories, or find an application which exposes it's API to do it
<<<end python>>>
if anyone could help me out with this, that'd be great

This is not a signature.

2014-11-24 14:49:13

Hi.
I couldn't tel you how to do that since i have no idea.

I just use the downloader that I gave in the first post.

It works great for me. smile

2014-11-24 15:10:17

Thanks Brad, I download the software now.. smile

2014-11-26 18:38:37

I'm going with the FicSave option. You don't have to download programs or anything, just entering the url on the site and your good. Using just the site itself and not email will make it go a lot faster.
It's things like this that make me glad FIM Fiction was coded with this in mind and each story has a download to html, epub, and txt option for each.

2015-06-25 11:15:24 (edited by brad 2015-06-25 11:17:54)

Hi.

The program I give in the second post does allow you to download fan fics as txt or html or php and has some other formats too. You don't have to put in your email address or anything. Just download the program, enter the URL of the story and press enter. Then choose a save location and you're done.

2015-06-25 13:25:50

Ficsave is good, but they need to support more sites.

The best downloader was flagfic, but it hasn't been online for a while.The following message is what you get when you visit their site.

Temporarily Down - Back Soon

FLAG has been moved to entirely new infrastructure in a different location after experiencing major issues with the datacentre where FLAG has been hosted for the last few years, and will be back soon. Unfortunately the nature of the change requires some modification of the backend code to cope with the differences - this is being worked on at the moment, and I hope to have FLAG back up and running normally in the near future.

Please watch this page for updates. Any significant news, including an announcement when FLAG is back up and working normally, will also be posted to @flagfic on Twitter.

Thanks for your ongoing patience while I have been dealing with this issue.

Regards,
Erayd

That message has been up there for at least a year now so I do hope it returns, and with support for ff.net.