2007-07-28 21:34:16

Do any of you know if there is a way for a totally blind person to play world of warcraft? My brother played as a rogue, and it seemed like a lot of fun. I've done some pretty extensive google searching of the matter, but nothing! I was hoping some of you might have any suggestions.

James

2007-07-29 00:56:37

I'm not familiar with how its interface is set up, whether it is keyboard focused or is more like their previous game Diablo 2. However in either case it is most likely not possible without sighted assistance.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-07-29 03:17:59

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that was the case, but I wasn't sure. Oh well. There are a ton of very accessible games out there, (like rail racer).

2007-07-29 07:28:22

I know what you mean, there are a couple mainstream MMOs I think would be fun to play. World of Warcraft isn't one of them however.

If Sony put some work into one of their MMOs Everquest 2 then it could be very accessible. It is already heavily keyboard focused as I understand it, it just requires audio feedback adding and some help for us in the menus.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-07-29 19:02:14

I tried to mod the user interface of Word of Warcraft so it would only rely only on sound and keyboard. Unfortunately, some functions that would have been necessary to program this UI were disabled by Blizzard, probably to avoid gold farming bots or unfair features for player versus player, or because if the game is too much automated there is not much fun left in the game. So functions needed to know where the objects are don't work any more.

The user interface of World of Warcraft uses the keyboard a lot. For example with tab you select the next enemy target, while in Diablo you must use the mouse. There are not many monsters, and the fights are not that fast. There is no collision detection between monsters or players, only with walls and static obstacles, and you rarely have to jump over a chasm for example. You can use the arrow keys to rotate, but you don't know if you are facing the monster or not.

Anyway the sounds are not as sophisticated as the graphics. When you bump into an obstacle there is no sound. The main part of the sound is an environment sound that doesn't change when you rotate. Only some sound events are located, like emotes, or fighting sounds. And when you walk by a fire or a torch you can ear it move too. The music and the voices for the emotes are great, though.

In Everquest 2 there is a feature where if you give a destination then the game shows you the path to this destination.

2007-07-29 23:20:36

True, my sister plays it. However it still doesn't really gve any audio feedback. I found that even with my sister's assistance I couldn't really handle Everquest 2 since there are just too many obstacles etc, either that or we needed to work on our communication but oversteering was an issue.

cx2
-----

2007-07-30 11:07:58

Hey, this thread provides me with an excuse to look at LUA---always wanted to, but my conscience haunts me whenever I invest a lot of resources into something without seeing an immediate or semi-immediate use. wink

Accessible WoW would rock bigtime, but it's a good thing it doesn't exist yet---I'm working on my master's degree.

Greetings,
EternalG

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2007-07-30 23:57:05

Accessible WoW would be like totally awesome, and like whacked at the same time, because the whole gaming interface/plot requires graphics if you know what I mean. If it was made accessible but not on the internet well the program would be like 4 gigs, wowowowowowowowowow messed up lol.

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-07-31 00:50:07

That last post made absolutely no sense.

cx2
-----

2007-07-31 08:18:23

I think he's trying to say that accessible WOW would be awesome, but very large in terms of file size.

2007-07-31 22:10:47

It would also hit the bank balance some too, given that you need to pay a monthly fee.

cx2
-----

2007-07-31 22:25:49

Good point there CX2. I hope I got your name right.

2007-08-01 09:24:32

You did smile

cx2
-----

2007-08-01 10:32:32

Hmmmm, shows what happens when I'm not able to turn up and post, interesting topics rise up to confound me.

My brother, and almost all of my friends are fairly major Wow players. I've also watched my brother playing the game, and noticed the lack of environmental sounds, though as you say some of the imotes are funny.

As  has already been said, the sounds in Wow aren't exactly enspiring, ----- though many of the imotes are most entertaining. However given some of the things my friends tell me about raiding, even if a vaguely accessible interface could be created, the time it would take to react to things, ------ even with the fastest players might be difficult, sinse classes like mage and rogue have almost beat em up style combos of attacks, and usually require fairly extensive working out of damage per second averages, which would probably be harder with speech (by the time the interface told you how much damage you'd done or taken, the situation would have changed).

then of course, there are raids.

I do think though, a true accessible real time online rpg would be a major step forward in accessible gaming, sinse this has been something available to sited gamers for about ten years or so. It'd also be great to have an environment where visually impared and sited players could cooperate, or do pvp, oor explore, just as happens in the text rpgs like Sryth, but obviously in real time (most wow players I know even communicate over skype during the game).

while we all know the general problems of talking to main stream companies about accessibility, perhaps it'd stil be worth a try talking to Blizard, especially if something formal Like the Game accessibility project could be involved. there is always the offchance that they'd be reasonable (a small chance I know, but probably stil worth a gamble).

so, good luck with everquest Soundmud, and please keep us posted.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-03 12:07:56

In fact I tried "EverQuest II - Trial of the Isle" (a free 7-day trial) some years ago and I'm not playing it anymore. I don't even know if Everquest interface is moddable.

2007-08-03 15:19:01

Dam! back to the drawing board then.

I've not seen the game personally, though I know a couple of people who play it, but is Starcraft modable? I only ask because I've heard of a lot of people tinkering around with the game code.

while I know Starcraft isn't exactly like wow, it stil might be worth playing for reasons of participation and so on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-03 16:48:41

Starcraft has a map editor, and with some tools you can change the default sounds or campaign. But, as far as I know, the engine is not really moddable, even if you can modify the AI, but it's not easy. Anyway Starcraft is so analog to Warcraft 2 that I think SoundRTS will be interesting for that.

About making WoW accessible, if you don't pay the monthly fee, you cannot program anymore, so you have to pay this fee just to continue programming.

2007-08-03 23:07:00

Starcraft is basically a sci fi version of the old Warcraft strategy games, so this would be under things like sound RTs I think.

As to Everquest 2 try www.eq2interface.com, it is most certainly moddable though to what extent I've no idea.

cx2
-----

2007-08-04 11:04:19

Well, I can see the starcraft vs sound rts business, I admit I don't know quite as much about starcraft as I do about wow given the people I know who play the game.

It is a shame though about the restrictions on woW programmming.

2007-08-04 18:40:30

It is something of a shame, it was a fairly fun game and I do hear they're working on a Starcraft 2 now. *sighs* ah well.

cx2
-----