2014-11-08 23:52:55

hi,
I can't focus on any control in any metro app with the keyboard in windows technical preview. I'm using NVDA. When I use a key to navigate NVDA plays an error sound. I have to use the review cursor to work with the apps. Wehn I installed the first build I didn't have this problem. When I downloaded the  next preview build using the preview builds section of the settings app however, I began to have this  problem and skype began to ask for webcam and microphone permissions. When I click allow it turns off the webcam and turns on the microphone. I don't know what's wrong with them. When I try to veryfy my account to send a ticket to nv access. They don't send the verification code with mail. I check out the junk mail folder and it isn't there. Also after the next preview build download the mail app stopped showing new notifications. I checked out the account settings and it was set to always show notifications. I looked at the permissions and the notification was on. If these bugs won't get fixed, I think about reverting to windows 8.1.
Btw it was the longest post I've written ever!
big_smile

2014-11-09 10:07:48

@Pitermach, I plan to catch up on the last two episodes of new who this week. My dad and I have been watching them on Tuesday lunch, though I must confess the Mof continues to be underwelming. For much of my thoughts check the Dr. who thread, so I'm not expecting too much of the finale at all. as you said, the Finales even in the Davies era (the 9th and 10th Doctor), were a bit hit and miss, and sinse the Moff took over they've just dropped into cheese and convolutions and ridiculous deus ex from hell. Either way I'm not holding out much hope, for me, there are only 10 incarnations of The Doctor.

On the plus side the audios are awsome, and if your going through the 8th doctor set Minuette in Hell, Invaders from Mars etc, your really on a good stretch. minuette has a few issues (mostly the rather ropy American accents), but I love just how crazy it gets with Charley being almost turned into a prostitute and The Doctor in a mental hospital with his mind wiped and his fellow inmate believing that he! is The Doctor. The demon marcosius is also both hilarious and completely evil, his "charley is my darling! my darling! my darling!"  always makes me laugh big_smile.

I've actually just finished 67 The Game, a rather nice satyrical outing taking the micky out of Football with a society who play a team sport involving bladed hockey sticks, they even got one of the regular Bbc sports casters to play the commontater which was good, though I'm less sure it needed the extended Gangster bit at the end.

I keep thinking I should go off and read something else, (I've still got most of Iain Banks Culture series to go), but the audios are just too good and I keep running across absolute gems, even in stories which the first time through didn't impress me as much.

My parents have now gone, and my bathroom is painted blue and sealike, which is nice. We also went out for a meal last night and I had Zebra meatballs with Turreso sauce yes Zebra! rather good, though I thought a trifle over cooked sinse the one previous occasion I had Zebra it wasn't quite that tough, still rather nice and very different from the usual burger or pizza etc.

I have also started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. it's odd, usually in tv series or books with a paranormal or fantastical focus, I'm really interested in the fantasy elements, world, genealogy etc. Yet, in Buffy the Vampires (and the other couple of monsters I've seen in the episodes I've watched), have been a bit bleh. I like the way they just go savage with the teeth and chomp on people (much nicer than Twilight style sparkly happy vampires), and I like the way the series response to vampires is that they should be pounded on with lots of martial arts, but at the moment I don't find them that interesting. Not compared to say being Human's fantastic drug adict style vampires, or some of the Vampires in Doctor who, whether the intergalactic race of blood drinking conquerers who had a war with the timelords from the tv story State of Decay, or the bio engineered gangster vampires from the audio Project Twilight.

Either way, at the moment in Buffy the world of the supernatural isn't doing a lot for me, ---- though bare in mind I'm just on episode four so I suspect this to change later.

What I am however really enjoying is the very witty dialogue and quite engaging characters. Buffy as an airhead who is quite matter of fact about smacking around vampires is probably to me the least interesting character at this stage, though with joss Weeden at the helm I'm confident things will change. Zander reminds me of Socka from Avatar the last airbender with his rather fun insites, though he's a lot less intelligent and a bit more dispicable. Willow I really like, but then again I suppose I would find an intelligent girl who is something of a social missfit but quite a nice person undernieth appealing as a character. Giles amuses me with his general exasperation with everybody and everything, and i do appreciate the fact that unlike most English characters in American programs he's not a walking set of cliches, (I wince whenever The Simpsons attempts an English character).

The only character I really don't think much to thus far is Angel, just because he has "I am a mysterious stranger with a tragic past!" written across his forhead. I'm willing to see what Joss Weeden will do here though.

A friend of mine said the two things she liked best about Buffy were firstly that unlike a lot of modern urban fantasy such as Dresden, it really didn't take itself seriously, and sinse I'm a little board of "look at my terrible aaaaaanxt!" that is nice. Also she said she approved of the idea that vampires were evil savage demonic monsters that needed to have 7 shades pounded out of them! I definitely agree with her there, (I'm sick of Bloody pathetic vampires who winje about how terrible being immortal and attractive forever is constantly and can be killed by tripping over a carpit, pun definitely intended).

Today I don't have any major plans, though possibly will try and do something db wise, if I can stay away from the lure of more Buffy or More Doctor Who audios :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-09 13:59:43

Hi,
@dark I think you might find the new who finale a bit.. underwhelming but it's OK. Could have been better though.
I must confess I haven't seen much of Buffy, however I'm watching Agents of Shield which also has Joss Weeden at the helm so he really knows his stuff, and it's done well.
I also recently watched a film called Spirited Away which was, to put it simply, incredible. I can't stop talking about it. Some films leave youa fter a day, but this has been on my mind, I've even dreamed of it's world since watching it so it must have made quite an impression on me.

2014-11-09 14:35:41

Hi Aaron.

Ah, I didn't realize Joss Wheaden was involved with agents of shield, that certainly bumps it up the list of stuff to watch. I initially only saw a couple of episodes of Buffy when it was being shown in the early 2000's, and was less than impressed, however I absolutely loved! Firefly, a truly fantastic sf series, which got me interested in trying Buffy out.

Glad you  liked Spirited Away. Pretty much anything by Studio Gibly is awsome and very surreal, especially considering they're basically run by Miazaki who is just god! I have loved everything I've seen, from their original and surreal things like Spirited away and Kiki's delivery service and the very famous Princess Mononoke, to their reimaginings of popular books.

Spirited away I liked for just how wonderfully surreal it was, sort of a dark version of Alice in Wonderland, and Yibaba the wtich is just plane scary (appologies for mangled spellings).

I find it interesting Gibly have also done some films based on popular fantasy books. All of them have not exactly been like the books, but all have been awsome. These include Arietti based on The Borrowers, (probably the most faithful to the book, but actually rather better sinse I found the book a little dull), Howl's moving castle, ---- which is rather different and was written slightly as an anti iraq war film, though is fun none the less even if the characters are far nicer and less engagingly selfish than Wynne Jone's originals. Also, Wizard of Earthsea, ---- yes Earthsea got the miazaki treatment! Well at least the third and fourth books did, as the film combines the story from The Farthest Shore and Tehanu.

This tends to get bashed by fans, but I enjoyed it myself, then again I was less than impressed with Tehanu anyway, and having it Miazakified was a definite improvement (particularly sinse it missed out on Leguin's very dismal feminism which made up most of the book).

Either way, Spirited away is fantastic, just like the rest of Miazaki's and Gibly's work. I particularly like thee scene where the little girl (who's name I won't attempt to spell), is having to run home before all the lights are lit, and is running up the steps while the little spider creatures behind her are setting the street lamps alight. A lovely moment and fantastically surreal. A friend of mine actually said she didn't get Spirited away because she thought it was too heavily based on Japanese mythology, what with the river Dragon and other slightly unusual elements, but I never found that myself, I just took it as a fantasy world with it's own logic and rules that was a bit alien, but all the more interesting because of that.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-11-10 00:54:24

Hi,
@dark: I haven't actually watched the movie with a sighted person yet, but I'm going to definitely introduce my parents to it, somehow, as I actually think they'd enjoy it.

2014-11-10 12:27:34

@Aaron, that is a good idea, more people should see Gibly. I don't know whether to be disturbed or amused that a friend of mine has been showing his four year old daughter the Gibly films (apparently she loves them), though even he admited he might need to change stratogy in a year or so when she can pick up on the disturbingness of the plot big_smile.

This morning I am going to put my Victor Stream through it's paces on a train journey, even more so sinse I managed to get first cclass tickits. East Coast is the best railway in the country for first class, sinse you don't just get free internet and more leg room with perhaps a free coffee if your lucky as happens on Midland, you get a full choice of drinks several time es a journey which go from tea and coffee to alcoholic drinks , and free grub from small snacks like biscuites and crisps to free meals, (they do some good cake and a pretty nice lassagnia).

There's nothing quite as nice as sitting on a warm train on a cold and blustery winters' day, sipping a coffee (possibly with a dram of wisky thrown in), and listening to Doctor Who audios, or playing something like the choiceofgames titles or The Engsign.

I actually considered as I'm watching Buffy buying the choice of the vampire games for a bit of thematic similarity,but then I remembered those are a bit closer to Anne Rice being set in 19th century Nuorleans than Buffy's modern hard rock type of atmosphere.

I'm also now having a try at Astro Galaxy. It is a game I've liked the look of for the past year or so and have just been waiting for the access fixes to make navigation possible with a screen reader, great that that has finally happened, and I look forward to seeing what in the galaxy I can find.

2014-11-10 13:47:58

Hi,
@dark: agreed about just relaxing while listening to something or playing a game. When sunbathing on holiday, I take my Sansa with me and just immerse myself into other worlds. It's how I watched the back to the future movies, along with a couple of westons. I enjoyed the Magnificent Seven and also, the stuff like A fistful of Dollars and The Good, Bad and the Ugly.
The best one though was when I was in Egypt. I took Yu-Gi-Oh with me and that was so fitting that it wasn't even funny, and I really enjoyed that. Nothing like lying on an Egyptian beach while hearing about a pyramid with duel monster cards, stones and other stuff. It's interesting to imagine.

2014-11-11 00:20:50

Watching yugioh in  Egypt? lol

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-11-11 12:00:20

Yugio in Egypt is amusing, though  one disadvantage of needing the pictures is of course I don't get to watch it while sun bathing. When I was in Egypt I spent my time reading one of the throrn Starwars novels, and playing judgement day on my laptop big_smile. Not particularly appropriate, but then again we had more than enough time wandering around pyramids.

I think the nice thing about the train journey isn't just sitting around and relaxing, but also  being  brought free grub, coffee and (if I am in the mood), wisky. It's really quite a pleasant experience. When I used to be doing a production in Nottingham, I'd actually head back on the midnight slow train and could almost always get first class tickits sinse the train was nearly empty. It took an extra hour, leaving Newark at about quarter past ten and getting into Durham where I live at about 1.45, rather than in just under two hours as usual, but it was a great journey coasting along at night, with pretty much the carriage to myself, that was an occasion I often felt like the fortified coffee big_smile.

I am impressed at the battery life on the Victor stream, I'm trying to run the batteries down, but even after around five hours they're still at over %80. I also am going to watch the last two episodes of the twealth doctor today but will put my thoughts in the Doctor Who topic as they're probably going to be too much of a  ramble (or more likely a rant), to go hear.

2014-11-16 03:57:27

Hi

Someone was talking about how expensive the passports could be? well, here's the absolute best consumer model and I found it for 112 bucks, I say absolute best because passport ultra has quite amazing speeds, I know because I have the 1tb black model and from an internal ssd it gets and average speed of 325 to 375 mbps down and about 275 to 300 mbps up on USB 3 and that's not even a super amazing SSD, this is also the special silver addition so it's aluminum instead of plastic, and it's the 2tb model with a 3 year warranty.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … No=9103842

Honestly with the average lets say graphic audio book even, with all those sounds and music and 256kbps which is what you get when you buy them from the graphic audio site, that's like 400 to 800 mb per book usually, so lets say 800 just to be on the safe side and that's more than 2500 books, EBooks would be insane, and regular audio books would still be amazing, along with anything else you wanted to store, considering the drive is about half an inch thick, 5 inches in length and 3 and a half inches wide something that can easily fit in most medium pockets in pants and almost all in jackets and hoodys.

And that does account for the operating system that lets you use it as cloud storage with the right set up, the 256 bit =encryption, the drive utilities for keeping it in shape, the password protection etc, all of which only take up about 7.5mb all together, also even the plastic one is strong I've dropped it while transfering a few times, one of those o shit moments when you pick up the computer to move it and the drive is waving around on the end of the cord and hitting things...

I don't believe that someone couldn't get this type of thing as a christmas gift or something, nor that a person on SSI, though crap as it may be compared to other countries support systems, couldn't save up for this even if it took 2 months.

2014-11-24 16:40:05 (edited by mastodont 2014-11-24 16:49:31)

i didn't visit Egypt yet but i would like to. I've read 1001 nights while visiting turkey and that was an amazing experience combined with some Turkish music while sun bathing. i also enjoy reading books with a supernatural theme during winter nights. sometimes i can hear the wind outside and that helps to the atmosphere. it's a shame that there are not many books that take place where i live because this place has many legends. i live in Transilvania, a region of Romania where is situated the castle of Dracula. I've visited the castle a few times and the atmosphere it's fantastic.

also i was wondering if anyone has seen the movie Godzilla 2014? i love the sounds of the monsters, they are really amazing.

update: here are some monster sounds taken from the movie. enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flHSCB3E0Yw

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2014-11-24 22:35:59

Hi,
@nin: I haven't seen Godzilla 2014 yet, but I'd definitely like to. Wow, this is a nice find and now I'm looking forward to it even more.

2014-11-25 09:51:04

yeah. I wonder how would these sound in a cinema!! I think awesome...

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2014-11-28 23:56:10

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you a question. Has anyone had problems with iTunes 12 or not? I'm asking this because Apple has decided to remove the sidebar from this product.
In my opinion, this decision is very disapointing and leaves me with the sense that Apple is gradually reducing iTunes accessibility for JAWS users by not letting them choose whether they want the sidebar or turn it off completely. Are there any petitions I could sign online to persuade this company to bring back the sidebar or these don't exist? If these petitions exist, could you give me the links to where I can sign them, please?
Take care,
André

2014-11-29 00:05:49

Hi everyone,

Thank you, Dark, for adding this topic to the off-topic room. I think this topic is excelente because it lets us express ourselves in a free and democratic way. If this topic didn't exist, I would have been very disapointed, frustrated and irritated. It enables me to speak about my life in a light-hearted manner which is, afterall, very amusing and this demonstrates your willingness to help other people whenever they need your support most. Thank you very much for making this very entertaining and thoughtful topic.
Long live the blind-accessible games!
Take care,
André

2014-11-29 22:26:52

Hello,
iTunes 12 is still usable without the sidebar, it's just a bit more clunky, unfortunately.
I agree about this topic being good to talk about life in general.
Speaking of which, we're getting ready for Christmas over here, and I am quite excited as I managed to find, and I got permission, to order a quite niche product. I tested it to make sure it worked so I wouldn't have to send it back. I then asked my parents to hide it until Christmas. I won't reveal it until after Christmas as I'd like to do a better review of it.
Suffice it to say though, the test was successful, and I am looking forward to next year because of it. It's not really a huge, next-gen gadget, but it is quite geeky in nature.

2014-11-30 18:17:06

Hi Aaron.

Glad people still like this topic, I'll refresh with a new one for december next month. I'll be interested to see what your item is.
There isn't really much I'd like for christmas. I'd vaguely like the special edition of desolation of Smaug, but the original was so mind gnummingly horrible that I can't see it mattering too much, I'm also interested in getting the music from the Doctor Who tv series, sinse whatever I think about the direction things have taken recently murry gold can compose and now the series soundtracks are out.

Of course being christmas I have lots of singing to do. Yesterday on the same day there was a competitive music festival and my singing teacher's charity concert, so I was literally busy from 9 am to 10 at night.

Of the four categories I did I got three seconds and a first, (surprisingly in parlour song), and I was quite pleased at the comments I got for "master of the house" in the musicals section, while in my singing teacher's concert people very much enjoyed my commic song which was nice.

Today I'm having something of  a break, and listening to Doctor who audios, ---- I don't know why but listening to Frozen time set among the ice warriors at the antarctic actually made me feel! cold big_smile.