2014-10-22 03:52:03

Hi everyone.
I just started reading robin hobb's farseer trilogy and so far I'm loving it. Fitz seems like a pretty cool guy. What I wondered about was I know that most of hobb's trilogies are set in the same world and I was just wondering is it okay to just read the novels that have fitz as a main character? Is there anything I would miss by not reading the other books?

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-10-22 06:08:56

Hi,
Certain farseer books or should I say books with fitz in them have appearances by characters from the liveships and other books, however you won't miss key points or anything like that if you don't read those other books. I have read a bit of liveship traders myself, and none of the dragon books if that is what they are called,but I was able to keep up just fine with all the farseer books.
Heh, slightly ot but now that I have started reading A song of ice and fire series, I see that robin hobb has adopted the same style as grrm in her latest book the fools assassin. I.E different point of views and such.
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2014-10-22 19:57:08

Hi Gryfindore.
Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure if I had to read them all in order.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-10-23 01:21:01

Hi Guitarman.

I disagree with Grryf here. I personaly read them all in the order Hobbs intended, and am glad I did so.

The order is the farseer trilogy, ie assassin's apprentice, royal assassin and then assassin's quest. Then the liveship traders, that is ship of magic, the mad ship, and ship of destiny. Then the three Taunyman books, that is fool's errand, the golden fool, and fool's fate.

Then there are the rainwild chronicles series, Dragon keeper, Dragon haven, city of dragons, and blood of dragons. Then  finally hobb has started another series (I believe it's a trilogy though am not sure), with Fool's assassin.

I read the farseer Assassin books first that begin with Fitz as a child. These were very good, albeit pretty grim. The liveship books I read later, but though they don't feature fitz they are set in the same world and continue the plot, and there are various hints back to Farseer, though it would probably be possible to read them alone, albiet they do shed some light on the ending to Farseer. Liveship was my favourite series thus far I think, sinse it had several characters not just fitz, very unique stories and a highly interesting setting being themed around sea faring with pirates, trading, and even sea serpents.

I then most recently read the Taunyman books which took up with Fitz again about 15 years after the end of Farseer. I'm glad I did read liveship there, sinse the connections between liveship and taumyman were far more serious than those between farseer and liveship, in particular one very major event that is part of the conclusion of liveships plays a huge part in Taunyman, and needless to say Taunyman would be impossible to read without knowing the events of farseer.

I've not started Rainwild's yet, apparently it is set in the same part of the world as Liveships and has connections back to that series more than Taunyman, though after Taunyman I wanted a slight break, indeed I give Hobb creddit for telling specific stories in a complete world rather than just rambling on forever, so that you get to distinct stopping points and something conclusive, albeit it's nice to go back and revisit the consequences. I have heard Rainwilds is less good than her other stuff, or at least the first book is, but I'll read it and judge for myself, (heck there are people who hate Liveships just because it was third person, had multiple characters, was set somewhere very different and din't involve fitz).

In a way I'm sorry hobb is writing more books about Fitz, though apparently fool's assassin is set 10 years later than Taunyman sinse I thought where he ended was just right. It's not that I don't like Fitz as a character, it's just that I thought at the end of taunyman he deserved a break.

Eitherway Guitarman, as I said, I'd personally recommend reading the Assassin trilogy then going on to liveship, then finishing with Taunyman as I did, however I'd also recommend leaving some space between the end of each series, sinse as each is sort of a change, you don't want to be expecting a direct sequel too closely. I think had I read liveship the second I finished Assassin's quest, I probably would've liked it less just for being set somewhere so different and involving different people, where as by leaving a gap I was able to be a tad more objective while still remembering the Farseer books, and as I said, thus far Liveships has been my favourite series of Hobb's, though we'll see what I make of Rainwild when I start on those.

Btw, speaking of martin vs Hobb, one thing I loved in Liveship is that there is a character who is quite similar to Sansa stark, a teenaged girl who goes as far as screwing over her relations for her own romantic ideals, then winds up over her head and just tries to get by on her "oh I'm so innocent" act. However where as Sansa I wanted to repeatedly hit (really the way she treats Tyrion is vile), Molta in Liveship changes, grows, comes to some major realizations and turned from a character I found a total annoyance, to someone I was actively cheering to succeed, someone who took control over her own destiny, ---- and no, she didn't do this by becoming an awsome sword fighter or magician or something, she just did so by changing her outlook and being willing to learn from how she dealt with others.

Much credit to Hobb for that, and just another reason why I really enjoyed Liveships. Hobbs other books were still fantastic, but Liveships is imho the best thus far. This has nothing to do with Fitz, I just really thought Liveships was well done, plus Pirates are cool! big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-23 14:58:59 (edited by grryfindore 2014-10-23 15:14:54)

Hi,
ahh yeah, rainwiled is what that series is called.
I myself have read just a bit of the liveship traders and yet did just fine and didn't seem to be clueless when reading the fitz books that come after the liveship traders.
Only 2? or 3 characters from the liveship traders make a breaf appearance in the fitz books,and without spoileing much of the series or any books I can just say.
slight spoilage ahead
all you need to know is the liveship traders series deals with the fools gerney after he leaves fitz behind, or even just reading the book description of that series should make you not be clueless while reading the fitz books.
spoiler end
and no, I did not mean you could read them in any order,however you can read all the fitz books in cronologicle order and leave the rest of hobb books which you'd rather not read and not miss anything, or at least something that you couldn't guess upon some thinking.

Sansa stark, was one of those characters that I wanted to give a spanking myself, indeed, you may guess as to why when I say my favourite character in the hole series is eddad stark, and she imo would have done well with a few spanks from him. tongue but then,
edadd stark would not be eddad stark.
as to Sansa and tirean (I think I have spelled most of them wrong alas.)
I am a little more understanding, because people are people, and no matter what people tell you, the world is not a fairytale, and things and words don't come out or may look to the other person as you ment them to come out as or look as.
and heh, if I were forced to wed a person older than me by half again to that of my years, and that family had resulted in the death of my father,why I would be just as bad or even worse than she was. Him being kinder than other members of his family doesn't help any,either.
speaking of tirian, he is one of my favourites as well,and I feel I understand him,as well. With how misunderstood he is and all.
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2014-10-23 16:43:34

@Grryf, I am afraid I disagree on the order of Hobb's books. while it is true you would probably have to sit around in taunyman and just accept who certain characters are without background, there is a major event at the end of Liveship that makes the conclusion of taunyman make sense. I'll avoid spoilers for Guitarman's sake, but lets just say if I hadn't read liveship I know my thought would be "hold on, where did that! suddenly come from? and where was that! during the events of Assassin's quest?" Also, thematically the battle betwene "that!" and something else plays much more point when you realize the history of "that!" as opposed to the other thing, history which is only provided in Liveships. I've heard people call Farseer, liveship and Taunyman a trilogy of trilogies with a distinct conclusion that references both parts and I have to agree.

Regarding Game of thrones, sansa getting a spanking from Edard? ---- big_smile.

I don't agree on Tyrrion though, for a start, the age difference isn't that bad in context of the society, sinsse remember in a society where people were married at 13, they'd have been functionally adult for a couple of years before that (look at the way Bran behaves at 9). I also don't think Tyrian is as old as you think him to be, indeed I believe he's about 29 or 30 at the most. so it's like someone in our terms of 18 marrying someone of 35 or so, unusual but not disgusting.

More than that though is the emotional part. I just can't sympathize with Sansa when all tyrian wants from her is a small amount of concern, just an acknolidgement that she feels something for him or could feel something for him, when in effect he's desplaying all his vulnerability to her (something he never does with anyone else), and she completely freezes him out. After all if anyone is in a position to understand Sansa's misstreatment by Jofry it is Tyrian, and heck Sansa still had more affection from her family than Tyrian ever did. Yet, she completely blanks him.

I don't often cry at books but the scene when Tyrian was lying in bed beside Sansa and tells her that he has it in him to love, and she responds with "whatever you say my lord" actually got me a bit misty eyed, indeed at that point I thought she almost deserved what Jofry did to her.

I personally would actually like to see Tyrian happily married off to a loving wife at the end of the series, and it would be quite satisfying if that person ended up as Sansa coming to her senses and realizing that he might be a dwarf and uggly, but he's a good man after all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)