2014-10-22 04:38:08

OK lets see if all this will post. Last time I tried something of this size, it didn't go through. Don't remember if all of it did, or some of it did or what. But here we go. It's a long one boys and girls.
And yes I may ramble a bit, but I did, word it this way to attempt to make a point.
It's always more economically feasible to treat the disease, rather than curing it. To quote johnny mnemonic from the movie, and a few of William Gibson's books. At the end of the day people can be naturally greedy. The true problem becomes, how can this be exploited to make more money. Unless society learns to change it's ways, four, or five of the top corporations will run everything, simply because they can buy others off.
Computers can be rigged to make money, or throw money away. I know of a company that is purposely abusing there system, deliberately teaching there employees to wring certain items up a certain way, just to make fifty cents more on a purchase. Add it up and it's a decent amount. They don't think about saving anyone any money what so ever.
Nearly the hole world, the corporation part of it anyway, are stuck in the present tense. They don't care about tomorrow, they don't care a week from now. All they care about is this quarter. Both on fiscal, monetary, and time terms.
The true test will be, will these implants allow others to assist us, our armies, our compan9ies? Or is it better to string them along and keep this technology out of the system until we do not have a choice but allow our forgotten brothers in to the places the rest of them can go.
Cellular phones were ready well over five years before they were produced to the public, however, they couldn't be released to the population until they found a way to limit their access. This way, we would be forced to pay for something that should have been free for all.
As of this moment in time, we require compensation for the work we do. I am not arguing with that. In businesses it's all about over head though. How much work can we squeeze out of this guy just so we don't half to hire another person to assist him. Or, why pay this guy just to keep our network safe, when we can hire another person that can also change the printer cartridges as well, and salter cables, and be our grunt as well as monitor our packets.
Until society learns to change, we as a species can't change.
It's why we are finally developing byo oil replacement fuel and hybrid cars, instead of attempting to make them run off of water. We no longer have a choice, or we are not given one. Either way you look at the situation. It will make sense.
It's why we are scattered everywhere. The last ditch efforts before the hole system comes to a head and crashes.
If we all focused on something, anything. Curing cansor, for instance. Just on that alone, we could get somewhere. But if we did, we would run the medical profession out of business. Lets not think of all the new technological advances we would have along the way. Or all the testing we would put animals and people through to get it done, and done correctly. Lets just think about the profit before hand. Instead, lets branch one company to do it, and under pay them what we call money, just to say we're doing something. And over here we'll work on the affects of insert arbitrary research study here, just to spread ourselves thin.
You see where I'm going with this. I hope.
Until everyone can get their ducks in a row, until we can all learn to get along with each other, until we can all really know what it means to do one to others as they would wish done to you. We can never really grow as a species.
Sure some are doing that, but not all. Like I stated before, I, personally think there will always be that greedy one in the bunch, that selfish one.
A true utopia like I would envision would never happen though, sadly. The inherent nature of humanity wouldn't allow it to happen. Both the good natured and the bad ones would have a voice for or against any idea give enough time and debate on the issue.
So do I think bionics are possible. Yes, if they aren't out there already.
Do I think technology like that could happen. Yes, same answer as above.
I, personally think it could, and should happen. For the betterment of all man kind.
Society goes through fads, and media frenzies. Until all of us, as a society willingly chooses to allow it to happen, only then, it will happen. Until then, we're running the proverbial rat race.

The eyes, unfortunately, are not the windows to the soul. They are, however, the windows to deception. Trust not what your eyes see, for they can be easily fooled.

2014-10-22 12:15:33

@Nio, interesting thoughts, and I agree about the crash and the shortsighted nature of capitalism. That being said, I disagree either that "society as a hole" can decide something, sinse generally speaking very few people in the world have very little power, and we'd need to be living in a very different type of society for that to change.

In the end, though the illusion of emocracy makes us believe we have a stake in which particularly loud person makes the laws, the impact of those laws can only go so far. This is why I personally see greater governmental control over corporate interest as the only way to progress in the future, though unfortunately sinse the governments of the world (especally the wstern world), are bound to the idea of economic progress which inherently is based on the total subjugation of the individual good in favour of prophet, that probably won't happen unless there is a major crash and the governments need to be taking control over corporate interest.

I also am not certain that we can say everyone is self interested, or even a proportion are, just as we can't say everyone is inherently altruistic, both are true. Everyone is both at different points and towards ifferent people. Bill Gates, for all that his company pays it's workers so little for hours of work is bent on irradicating aides.

I personally am coming to the conclusion that it is the collective which is the problem, the system, the inherent way of doing things. That when people give their lives and work to "the company" or "the nation, or "the organization", or "the gang", " without actually considering who or what the people involved with that collective are or what that collective is really doing.

The good of the many has become so difuse that it is beyond any individual, which is just another source of alionation. People are nothing but numbers on a balance sheet or a voting count or a social media set.

It's quite depressing really.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)