2014-10-15 04:19:14

Who here is into dragon ball, dbz and dbz kai? I like all three but dbz is my favorite. I wish there wer a dbz map pack for tacticle battles 2.0. I can't get into dragonball gt very much though. it seems like with gt they're bringing back the same old villains and adding new abilities which really don't add to the story too much or am I missing something? anyway dbz, regular dbz is my favorite followed by dbz kai.

2014-10-15 06:03:50

Does catching Battle of Gods during its limited US theatrical run count?

Kinda wish DBZ:Sagas didn't suck. The concept is nice, the accessibility is nice, and the game play sounds nice when described but it's clunky as McClunkitor the Robot in practice.  But The execution leaves much to be desired. As in, enemies *not* glitching out of the arena, and some better solution to the Super Attack Slow-motion for Co Op (most annoying thing ever: I'm in the middle of a lengthy combo, the other player starts firing off super attacks).
I stopped paying attention to DBZ games after the 8th SPARKING! clone. So if things have actually gotten more interesting since then, I didn't notice.

Wait, why haven't I made "Sagas2: this time it doesn't suck" the audio game? Oh, right. Akratic Goblins.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-10-15 17:56:09

I am  a big fan of both db and dbz.  I couldn't get into gt either..

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-10-17 07:46:42

Back when I was 18 or so, I enjoyed Dbz for what it was, but I admit the drag of the series and lack of explanation of anything got way too much, what was interesting at the start with Goku's origins as a , Nammek and freezer just dragged on into an onrunning battle, then after that it just seemed sets of more and more random villains turning up. My interest waned after things got into the boo saga, sinse it seemed the series as a hole was just treading water at that point aand potentially interesting characters had been abandoned for just stalling, heck during the Cell saga I remember there was one episode which just featured Trunx powering up, and lets not even get into the "and this will happen in five minutes" business.

it's odd, sinse I liked the build up and atmosphere and the epic nature of the villains, then however I discovered ruroni kenshin, in particular Season 2 the saga of Kyoto which managed to have a lot of what I liked in dragon ball without any of the craziness or bad timing but with the fights you respected.

Gt my interest had pretty much taled off, particularly because all the promise in Dragon ball Z had just failed, for example we have huge amounts of time being told how tough gohan will be and how he's stronger than his father, then the first thing that happens in Gt goku gets reduced to childhood by some random craziness and Gohan gets forgotten about.

It's like the problems of Z on a grand scale.

I confess this is why I've never looked into either the original dragonball or Dbzk, although I've heard that many of the issues with dbz were sorted in the retelling with K, especially the long, long dragging plots and battles that went on forever. I wouldn't mind seeing it at some point, but it's not something I'm going to actively go out and buy or anything sinse there are far more things I'm interested in watching/reading/listening to.

Then again, sinse Dbz, I have found things that had that same epic quality that I really liked in dbz, but managed to do it without the nonsensical universe, stagnating plots or total lack of explanation. ruroni Kenshin for example, particularly in it's second season battle of Kyoto. Indeed at the time we watched it, my brother called it "the thinking man's dragonball" sinse it has several of the same ideas, distinct good and evil characters facing off in one on one battles that last several episodes with some other cast members who act as the audience, techniques (though sword techniques in the case of kenshin), with specific names and histories and counters and a very much good vs evil motief.

Yet,Kenshin manages to actually have a plot that matters and have more than one character who makes sense. Also the reason the battles, especially those with the jupon gatina go on for several episodes is that in the middle of the fight you will get the villain's life story and the way they are defeated usually reflects this. I also like in Kenshin the fact that all of the characters pretty much get their own battle and opponent, and though Kenshin as the titula hero of course has the battle against Shishio, the big enemy he still needs help with that one.

I also like Kenshin's personality and fighting style, given that he was a samurai assassin in the war that overthrew the shogunate, killed many people, however then grew totally sick of killing so fights with a reversed blade sword, with the sharp bit on the inside of the curve not the outside so that he won't have to take another life.

This is also what makes Shishio completely evil, sinse he's the person who took over from kenshin as assassin, but is a complete opposite, indeed his back story is that the government shot him and burnt his body to prevent him from revealing all the nasty deeds he'd done for them, so appears as a scarred wreck with dramatic bandages who is a complete psycho! quite different to the actually fairly small and usually quite clumsy Kenshin in his white and pink ronin outfit.

Of course there are other battle anime and other epic anime as well, but Kenshin was the one that struck me in tone as closest to Dragonball, even if not in setting, as well as being different from say things like bleache in not suffering some of the same problems Dragon ball did, at least for it's second series, ---- the third season did get a bit loopy, though it did also have some interesting villains as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-17 09:34:46

Dragonball suffers from the fact that Toriyama is at heart a gag artist, but the series developed into an action/adventure epic. Also the filler. Ugh (This is Kai's biggest selling point--no more filler!).
At the Buu saga, he basically decided he really, really wanted to be done, and this would be his last arc and he was going to have fun with it. So we got the greatest horror the universe ever saw: Bubblegum Baby the Genie.

The recent Battle of Gods movie actually felt like it took both Toriyama's playful style, and the more popular action epic of late DB and most of Z, and combined them much more gracefully.

Actually, the nonsensical nature of the universe is one of the things I Like about it, because it means there's plenty of room to explore and research and make connections and on occasion make stuff up wholecloth. Actually, that's probably a major reason I've stayed into both DB and Power Rangers so consistently, whereas I can binge on other series and then back off for a while. Series that know their audience wants things to make sense will try to make sense of them. Series that don't really care but still manage to be entertaining never seem to run out of things to play with.

But that doesn't make any of the weaknesses not weaknesses. The characters are handled disappointingly more often than not, the universe operates largely on rule of funny/rule of drama, and the filler is atrocious.
(Also, most people seem to stop watching Dragonball about halfway through, because the tone is so different from early DBZ. So they miss the 22nd tournament and the Piccolo sagas, which are considerably more like what they wanted in the first place. The Red Ribbon Army is about like the Freeza battle of pre-Z; 3 hours and you're still only halfway through. But I like most of Dragonball's filler much more than Z's. Some of it contradicts the manga (the existence of Dr. Frappe, for example), but most of it does fun things with some of the more likable minor characters. Especially Piccolo saga filler. Heck, even Chaozu the Useless gets to use his telekinesis to stop a hail of bullets, and only like two people like that guy.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-10-17 10:40:45

I must admit the humour of dragon ball Z never really hit me much. yeah, so buu is a big pink blob who turns people into chocolate bars, well so what? it's just a case of "oh that's weerd" rather than "oh that's funny", or "Oh that's interesting enough to really care about.

Usually when dbz succeeded in making me laugh it did so through amusing lines of translation and acting, rather than major points of story, for example I love Vejita's line in the fight with piccalo when Napa says "We're going to havg lizard for dinner tonight" and Vejita replies "I'll prepare some of my special! sauce!" big_smile.

I would speculate this is a matter of cultural differences with humour, sinse generally japanese surreal humour can be a little frantic, accept I have seen plenty of Anime with surreal humour that is hilarious! for example Squid girl, and the immortal episode of Rosen maiden, "Stairs!" the best filler episode ever! the plot is literally half of the cast refusing to come down stairs because there is no icecream for breakfast and the rest of the cast besieging them up the titula stairs!

I know what you mean about universes that have infinite possiblities for story telling, it's why I'm such a major Doctor Who fan, sinse Doctor who literally can! go anywhere and do anything, and I can say the mix of surreal drama and seriousness is something which Doctor Who has hit very well on occasion, ---- albeit not recently, however in the Db universe I just felt that the rules weren't well established enough to make it interesting to play with them.

For example, I remember a commic scene somewhere in the Cell saga where Krillen was going out with an airheaded girl called mirren, and he'd persuaded karmi, Mr. popo,  and the various inhabitants of his lookout (the ones you never see though they're suposedly the guardians of earth), to destract her while he went off to assist goku.

They played poker with her for a number of items which they pretended to be holy relics she'd need to get into heaven, and I believe the joke was supposed to be that they were all everyday objects, such as the golden letter opener and the bottle of courage. Sinse however there were already so many random surreal objects with misticle significance in the universe with no real explanation such as magic beans, I just didn't see this as too funny though it was obviously supposed to be.

As I said, I wouldn't mind seeing dbz k at some people, even if just for the lack of filler, however it's not really on the top of my list sinse while there were things I liked about db, I found other series that did the job far better.

For example, if you want an anime with really! epic battles for the universe and a distinct feel good factor, try Guran Lagan, where the plot is amazingly tight, while if you want some truly awsome fantastical martial arts, try Avatar the last airbender or legend of Kora (though ignore the film sinse it was pathetic), which also feature amazingly strong characters.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-17 17:28:50

Well, I have to admit, as a teenager, even until last year when I was 18, I enjoyed watching the build up to certain scenes in Dragon Ball Z. For example, the way in which Krilin gets killed with ease, resulting in Goku's transformation would never cease to amaze me, especially given the context--almost to be considered a cliche. Also, the development of Goku's character, and how his innocence and oddities sparked confusion among villains proceeded by a heroic deed in Dragon Ball was always an enjoyable passtime. However, over time, the redundancy of an emphasis solely on Goku's power grew to be rather dull. In my opinion, Dragon Ball GT was a mere exageration of its predecessors. This is all to say that I've never succeeded in watching all of the dubbed episodes. It has always been a preference of mine to watch Anime in its raw Japanese audio.

2014-10-17 17:51:15

Well Kaigoku, I can't speak about watching dbz or anything else in Japanese sinse I have no knolidge of the japanese language whatsoever, but I do agree with you about Goku's character.

My problem is that the theme of Goku's innocence and heroic nature was pretty much played out by the end of the Frezer saga. I really enjoyed Garlic Junior, sinse it finally felt that Gohan and the rest of the cast were getting a moment to breathe, and I was looking forward to seeing Goku take on a more adviserary role the way King Kai did and letting Picallo, Gohan, Krillen and co have some time in the spotlight, but no, with the android plot Goku is streight back again doing just what he was doing before, and the series just reverts to form once again.

That is why when the final episode of Z finished with Goku promising to go and train Uub, Gohan seeming to have given up fighting perminantly I just thought "why!"

As I said, there is a lot in db I did enjoy, but these days I've just found a lot of other things that do similar things without all of the bad stuff to wade through, and unfortunately there is lots of that.

2015-08-20 20:47:37

hi i want play dragon ball z in windows 7 x64 i dont know what is acceseble version it i have dbz univers game but nvda or jaws not speaking it plese help me

2015-08-20 23:23:34

Hi.

Check out, teem 4 star on youtube. If you've watched dbz, i thihnk you'll find it funny. The character accents are spot on, the humor is great and it follows the dbz plot... Kind of...

I'm gone for real :)

2015-08-21 17:30:02

I always hate the names. I mean seriously? Frieza? Cell? Okay Cell is fine, but Bibity, babity, and ... Buu? No. I just can't deal with that, I can't even dare write a story or Fanfic, which I'm trying, Dragon Ball Kombat on Watpad, and I just will not add those characters in there. Sure I'll have the Android saga, since Cell VS Smoke and the other cyborgs will be just awesome, but besides that, I think the Android saga will be all that I go by with the DBZ storyline. Sory Buu fans, but his name makes me inwardly blush just thinking about it.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2015-09-05 12:42:28

write i like androids 17 and 18 they r nice and sell  is all so cripy