2015-01-31 13:15:17

@Cx2, I'm not sure about crafting bows sinse manifestly you only need the one bow most of the time, and though I don't doubt they have a possibility of breaking, I don't know if they do this frequently enough to matter too much. , but crafting arrows is something I'll need to do. I've tried a couple but they haven't worked well.

It is actually a tad annoying that where you have a general wood working skill which can make most things, and a single forge skill for each weapon type, bows and arrows take five different skills, fletching, bowiring, and either forging or knapping arrow heads from stones, though I don't know if there are any cross skill bonuses if your already skilled at one that you can use to make the other.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-01-31 14:54:37

what are the directions to get to haiban? and I could not find the wagon in kesh

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2015-01-31 15:27:22

to getto haiben, if you're from shagerd, follow the road and stick to the road that leads northwest, just road, don't go anywhere. Go til you reach the ruins, then follow the road northwest, pass ebon, and then northwest and north a bit, then you'll be there. from mistral, it's easier. from the doc go south til you hit the ruin then follow the same northwest road, pass ebon, northwest and north a bit, just that.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-01-31 17:03:42

The wagon in Keth, I think it was a wagon, is in the centre of the village, it could have been a cart or something similar.

Dark, while you can use arrow heads you can also sharpen the arrow to just put a sharpened point on the end of the shaft instead of using an arrowhead. Also remember you can gather arrow to pick up any arrows when you're finished and put them back in your quiver.

From what I can tell crafting arrows works as follows:
Carve the arrow from a small bstave, that is a small branch with the shavings carved off. I like to carry some of the shavings in case I need tinder for a campfire but that's just me.
Cut nock to put a nock in the arrow
Measure arrow, this requires you to have a bow with you
cut end, this cuts the arrow to size
Fletch arrow, this requires you to have both feathers and sinew. Note the sinew has to be cut before use.
Either attach the arrowhead or sharpen shaft to give it a point.

All that said shop bought arrows are only 5 riln so I wouldn't worry too much about fletching early on, just make sure you account for the number you'll lose either from flying off into the distance or from getting stuck in enemies which run off. If you prefer slings are also available and the ammunition is free, you just go somewhere in the wilderness, somewhere near a river is best, and forage stone. You can also hurl these if you so wish.

When I went to emleth I used the map from the crossroads and just worked it out from the coordinates, using map nearby. I've not been back since I didn't see anything that interesting.

Oh and Dark, don't necessarily rule out using other melee weapons. Your staffs skill won't help the other weapons but you'll also have been building the generic melee skill which will, not to mention your dodge skill. In fact my Utasa is probably going to swap to an iron rapier so I might send you my old steel one.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2015-01-31 18:22:20

Qqquestion: If I mine for ore in the shadgard mine, and the cut the ore into bars in the forge, I know I would go to another town to sell them because shadgard is a mining town, so I wouldn't get a lot of riln for my work. My question is when you take the bars to another town, would you get more for smaller ones, or standard ones, or would you get more for one big bar?

Audio game king

2015-01-31 19:01:16

The size doesn't make a difference for sale in a market. It's just there for smithing larger items or convenience in that you don't need to keep track of so many small bars. It's the overall amount of metal, not the form it's in.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2015-01-31 22:20:40

Does anyone know what's the benefit of painted arrows?

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-02-01 00:53:43

There are painted arrows? I guess it's probably just for style.

I've had a look in the shadgarde graveyard at the nethrim and it's quite a bit harder than before the reshuffle they did recently. There used to be infested squirrels and rats, now there are skeletons and phantoms and the phantoms are the incorporeal kind that take very little physical damage. Where I'm doing 1 or 2 physical damage to them with my Utasa I'd normally be doing more like 10 to 30 to a normal enemy. That's why I advocate the use of really fast iron weapons against the nethrim, since the alchemical damage you do will outpace the physical damage and the amount of alchemical damage doesn't seem to be affected by the weapon's own damage so you get just as much with a staff or dagger as with a greataxe.

cx2
-----

2015-02-01 01:58:57

Aww, wanna try being Utasa. That would be so so so cool. And for painted arrows, not sure about it. That's why i asked. But it sounds cool though.

I can't proceed through the graveyard, cause those stupid ghoolish thingy which keep tearing me apart. My flesh isn't that tasty, dam them.

Did they ad new skills for Utasa? They said they will though.

2015-02-01 02:32:20

@Cx2, I have seen infested squirrels and rats on the trail and have killed a couple, though I decided to come back with either more armor or better weapons and supplies before tackling more battle.

I have my bow and quiver and arrows, however I'm finding the commands a bit wonky, given that I don't know how to set the quiver as default, and I've tried "fire at brown hare" and not got anywhere, then again I had to run off farely quickly due to the arrival of guests so haven't had a full chance to try things out yet as regards hunting.

I also wonder on encumberance, sinse (as I had to stick my pickaxe in my sac sinse it wouldn't fit on my belt with my quiver), if items in containers don't cost weight the way it happens in alter, in which case I'll likely get a backpack for supplies and keep my sack for storing stuff like foraged items and products of hunting.

Admitedly, sinse I'm probably leaving off mining for a while, I'm not sure if I need! a pickaxe as it isn't really useful for anything outside of mines where as my logging axe is handy for splitting firewood.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-02-01 08:55:11

Looks like you got what i sent, dark. have ya?

I spotted an infested raccoon near Tarueka yesterday, still could use its pelt. Infested in the wild aren't as tough as those in the city, just imo. Also, some people could get the infested meat, how could you do that? I found one in the trunk, not sure who put it there.

@Dark :
Your pickaxe can be of some use in the wild if you have a farm somewhere. It can act as a shovel to help you till the ground. I prefer carrying my pickaxe more than just bother getting shovel.

Oh, a little tips for arrow lovers, you can find somewhere to make your broadhead very easily. Just go out of shagerd and look around the east side of the river, don't follow the road cause it's before the road, you'll find the clearing there. Before the clearing is the forest with some flint, which is very easy to use as materials to make arrow heads.

2015-02-01 17:09:05 (edited by cx2 2015-02-01 17:11:06)

Don't bother with infested meat unless you want to become infested yourself, and thus be unable to enter towns without being attacked and likely have other players attack you. Whoever put the meat there was either new or trolling. That said the infested animals in and near Terueka are quite nice to practice on if you can handle the ambush attacks from the squirrels, and the occasional infested carrier.

Dark, you need the target command. Something like tar squirrel, then fire or barrage to continually fire. The quiver will be used automatically, and you can gather arrow when done to get them back in your quiver. The target command is essential when hunting, which you do by going to a non road part of the wilderness typing hide then typing hunt. Be prepared to take quite a few attempts at the hunt command because it's random whether you get something or not. As for encumbrance just type enc and it'll give you a vague notion of how much weight you're carrying, and yes items in containers do count.

Pick axes are indeed just a tool but logging axes also make decent weapons if you were going the axes route, I've done over 100 damage on rare occasions with one. Both will fit in a haft frog, though as you say belt and shoulder slots are limited. I often find I'm balancing the types of containers I carry, including ammo containers and the like, to make the most of my four belt and three shoulder slots. Unfortunately there are no shoulder worn containers for axes, only the swords have a choice in the form of a belt worn scabbard or a shoulder worn baldrick.

If you're carrying an axe just to make a fire here's a few tips. First up you can forage for branches or for deadwood, deadwood is easier than finding branches but can't be carved and has a random chance of giving you a deadwood log instead. You can also forage for sticks. With either a logging axe, hand axe or great axe you can chop large branches of either kind into two medium branches, and a medium branch into two small branches potentially giving you 4 small branches from one large branch. Chopping a small branch or a stick will give you kindling, you can also hold the branch or stick and type break if you don't have an axe. Carving a branch, though I don't know if this works with deadwood branches, removes the bark which falls to the ground as shavings, this is used as tinder so I usually carry some with me in multiples of 3, the stave you get as a result still counts as a branch of the relevant size for the purposes of the fire. A campfire as far as I recall requires 3 tinder, 4 kindling and at least 3 branches but the more branches you have the longer it will burn for, type campfire to see how much you have and need. Once you have enough campfire make will assemble the fire, then light teepee and you will attempt to use firestones to light it. You can also add item to campfire to keep it burning longer. I don't find I have to do it often but it's good to know how to do, and if you forage for sticks and break them into kindling you don't even need an axe though an axe can help chopping the bigger branches to size.

cx2
-----

2015-02-01 17:21:17

@Cx2, target was the command I was missing. I've used hide and hunt before and made fires, but target was the one I'm not aware of.

As regards equipment slots, so there are four belt slots, three shoulder slots, how about the backpack? is that shoulder's or back? I really think someone needs to write a "slots" article for the wiki or help system, sinse what you can carry and ware and on which body part is a little confusing.

I'll probably have to ditch my pickaxe just for encumberance reasons sinse I don't want to get into farming and I'm short on places to put the thing. I know you can wrent rooms for storing items, but I suspect the wrent will be far more than I could make on a regular basis.

2015-02-01 18:18:01 (edited by cx2 2015-02-01 18:18:30)

Backpacks are shoulder, though you can keep your sack in it like I do, I use my sack specifically for foraging. You can also store items in banks, hold the item and appraise it and it'll tell you how much the storage cost is, then type store item. It's a one time fee and you can type check vault to see what you have stored, then retrieve number to get it back. Rented rooms are 50 riln per night in Shadgarde but can vary in other places, and don't leave anything on the floor, there is furniture in the room description you can use to keep your items safe but anything left on the floor will disappear. You can pay rent for up to 14 days ahead, but if it runs out items will be put into the inn's vault which works exactly like the bank vault except you have to pay to get items back out instead of paying to put them in.

cx2
-----

2015-02-01 19:06:19

Ah, thanks for the slots advice. If you can nest containers and if you don't get encumberance reductions for containers, what is the point to a larger container? or is it just that you have more gubbinns to haul aroung and want to keep things separate, eg, separating the herbs you forage from the sinew you've got for bowstrings etc.

I'll check the bank vault option, sinse it'd be better if I didn't have to buy a new pickaxe. 50 riln a night is okay, accept that I'm sort of saving money for a horse, and maybe a wagon, although i don't know if you can hunt with a horse or not.

2015-02-01 20:16:48

Backpacks can hold larger items than your sack, there's a limit on the size of item each container can hold. I believe backpacks can go up to large while sacks or satchels only go up to medium. I mostly just use the sack for keeping the herbs seperated, because I want to keep the herbs I want to hold onto away from the ones I want to sell. That way I can just sell sack and everything in the sack gets sold. That said containers do have their own weight so you might want to check that, you can weigh item but it's not always accurate so you will want to do it a few times and average it out, if you want to travel really lightly a backpack may or may not be the best bet depending on its weight compared to other containers. That said if you want to travel really, really light a lot of the cloaks but not all are containers so you can throw your rations and bandages in there.

cx2
-----

2015-02-01 21:06:56

It's weerd, I've bought leather armor and now I'm told I'm encumbered even though my sac doesn't have an axe in it. Very, very weerd sinse I assumed wearing armor would be okay, (it's not as if I'm wearing steel anyway).

most of the things I have really don't weigh much, about the heaviest things I have are the iron staff and weapon, but I don't really see if wearing armor, carrying a bow and quiver, a logging axe, a skinning knife and essentials like a lantern and bandages in a sac gets you incumbered what you can do, the limit must be really low.

2015-02-01 23:46:52

It can be, though this seems to ease a little with the armour use skill, unless that's just from my mercenary having armour mastery. In any event soft leather will give you a little encumbrance and hard leather a fair amount, though I'd be tempted to leave the logging axe behind unless you're using it at the time. Those things are fairly weighty. Of course if you're not planning on fighting being somewhat encumbered won'tn be that much of a problem.

cx2
-----

2015-02-02 00:09:14

I use the logging axe both for logging and for chopping wood, and really I don't see why putting it on my belt doesn't help with encumberance.

Btw, thanks for the gear, that will come in handy though for the minute I've put the rapier into storage and am just using the staff as I'm working on my archery.

2015-02-02 00:32:31

Hello Everyone.
Well I'm starting to play clok mud again and I was wondering how to get started. I've done some logging and foraging in haiban but I haven't done anything else because I'm not sure what to do. First of all when I get tired where do I go? I haven't found any hotels in haiban at least not yet. Also I want to join the military go on quests things like that where do I go for that? Logging and foraging are fun but not doing them for the whole game.
I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-02-02 01:49:05

You can do whatever you want, with whatever you find. Clok wiki helps a lot with that. Also, joining a guild is the other best way to gain more riln. Crafting helps too, and there're many interesting places to hunt for materials and riln.

2015-02-02 10:00:24

Don't rush into joining a guild, you don't need to join to fight, but if you wanted a pure fighter using both weapons and heavy armour the mercenaries in Haiban are a good bet. You can join by going to the barracks in the northwest of Haiban. That said the need for bandages, healing and equipment repairs has meant my mercenary has taken a while to break even on tasks, even including money looted from the enemies.

If you get tired just sit or lay for a little while and it'll gradually let you recover, remember to check your hunger as well at this point.

cx2
-----

2015-02-02 12:31:49

@Guitarman, I'd recommend trying different things out in the game to get an idea of what does what.
You can carve wood, make weapons, mine and forge items, even do pottery though I'm not sure about that one. IN fighting terms you can pretty much fight with anything, including tools.

I've found logging to provide some good income, so at the moment am practicing hunting and archery with a bow. Mining I found too much of a pest to really be fun, particularly because of how little money you get.
What I like about the game is how involved things are, even stuff like making campfires and cooking, I really get that "surviving in the wild" vibe from playing which I distinctly like.

2015-02-02 12:40:04

Oh, good one CX2 and Dark. What exactly do mercenaries do? I just found a task to track down a target, not sure about the others. The guild of thieves is interesting, kind of, cause it has picklock skill. But picklock is, as I can see, useful for thieves and Utasa. Too bad the others can't use it. And both weapon+heavy armor for mercenary sounds so nice man, will try with my alt after I'm fond with my lovely Udemi Artus. Oh, and who's Whiler again? I remember seeing Whiler somewhere on here too.

2015-02-02 13:15:15

You can check out most abilities on wiki.contrarium.net to see what each of the guilds do. Mercenaries get tasks to either kill X number of enemies in a set area, kill a particularly powerful enemy of a given type in a set area, or chase off a highwayman in a given area which involves wandering the roads in that region until you find the highwayman and either killing them or forcing them to flee. Mercenaries also interestingly get guild points for the act of fighting itself, which helps the rate of advancement, though unlike tasks this doesn't give you extra money. The first ability a mercenary will want is basic melee training which gives you an automatic bonus of 50 to each of melee, dodge and armour use, the next you'll want is basic weapon training which gives you an automatic 50 to various weapon skills but this doesn't include all of them, you only get a bonus to chained, hafted, polearms and swords. You can also get armour mastery apprentice which gives you an automatic 100 to your armour use skill plus a ten percent reduction to encumberance, putting you at 150 armour use with basic melee training. Tactics mastery lets you change tactics type without a round time but it's most useful as a requirement for other abilities further on, you can then take multi opponent combat which counteracts some of the penalty for fighting multiple enemies at once, the ability to do a spin attack to hit multiple enemies, the ability to do a shoulder charge to knock the enemy down, the ability to do a coup de mort to finish off an enemy and so on. The downside is they only have combat abilities and nothing else.

The guild of thieves is one of those guilds you have to join through roleplay, unfortunately you can't just go up to an NPC and join like some of the guilds, you have to track down a member and convince them to tell you how to join or something. Just be aware that neither thieves nor Utasa are as heavily focussed on combat and both rely on little or no armour, so like your Udemi they'll need to use the dodge skill to avoid being hit rather than using armour to minimise damage. Both thieves and Utasa I believe have tasks to break into homes, not player homes these ones seem specially generated for the tasks, the difference is the Utasa must copy down something on a piece of paper using a quill and parchment then put back the original and not disturb anything or else they'll be punished whereas thieves are told to steal a particular item and bring it back, they are then free to pilfer everything else in the place including any money lieing around. It's the difference between an espionage task for the Utasa where the victim can't know anything untoward has happened for fear that they might change their plans if they suspect that the information has become known, while the thieves get a straight up burglary task.

In case you do decide to go Udemi Dark, their tasks will at least consist of finding a given amount of herbs to bring back to the taskmaster which may sometimes include grinding them first so check whether they're asking for fresh or for a quality such as inferior average or potent, killing X number of infested in a given area which will be chosen based on your combat skills, or killing a single particularly problematic infested creature in a given area which again is dependent on your skills. For the latter you can just stand around in the same room so long as you're in the right area and the creature will eventually show up on its own, I normally hide as well so I can get a surprise attack in though you will have to be patient and wait a minute or two for it to show up. I don't know if Udemi get any other kinds of task, I would presume so given those three types are all shared with Utasa, in fact I don't think foraging makes sense for the Utasa branch given they're meant to be focussed on urban areas but that's just my opinion.

In case you haven't discovered it the following herbs are valuable because of their use in poultices
Comfrey, extremely rare
Fraer root, extremely rare
Yora root, rare but less so than the previous two
Bloodwort, not to be confused with bloodstem, less rare but still in limited supply
Arnica, only grows in alpine areas which usually means mountain passes, it isn't the most rare but the areas it grows in are few and many of them are dangerous because of bandits.

Bitterleaf is also used in poultices but it's common enough it probably isn't all that valuable, though you could always try or else grind it up and sell off the potent stuff. Poultice list tells you what poultices are available to be made but you need 50 herbalism to see the list, the easiest poultice I find is the 105 which is two arnica, two bloodwort and 1 bitterleaf, the quality depends on the potency of the ingredients and you don't seem to make a test to make them so you won't fail. That poultice will eventually heal any severity of wound, or for as long as the bandage holds out which is affected by your first aid skill. You will need the ground herbs in a worn container as well as a piece of cloth, commonly available from infirmaries though some sell them as a parcel or package containing multiple pieces, and you then need to hold the poultice in one hand and a bandage in the other then type apply before it becomes useable, use the bandage command as normal to apply it.

Oh in case you haven't noticed you can type certain commands to see what of a given type you're carrying. After the bandage command typed alone finishes rattling off all the different locations it lists the number of bandages of each type you're carrying and where, food lists the food you're carrying along with quantity and container, herbs and weapons do similarly for their respective types of item.

cx2
-----