2014-10-13 17:22:36

Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to Linux in general-I'm currently using vinux...
A question for you guys: I'm attempting to install gcc and g++-3.3 and 3.4...
I can't seem to find the correct sources to add to sources.list--it may just be the way that I'm looking at it.
I was recommended to use the snapshots.debian.org and I'm just wondering if you guys have any tips for installing these through dpkg?
Thanks for any help

Daniel

2014-10-14 01:19:34

Just curious: why do you want to install GCC 3.x? It is ancient, and it's not clear to me why you'd want to do that.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-15 04:12:17 (edited by Ethin 2014-10-15 04:13:45)

@daniel, if you really want to do this (which I do not recommend, as GCC 3.x has some very bad bugs), do the following:
1. Download ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.3/gcc-3.3.tar.gz or ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.4/gcc-3.4.tar.gz
2. Extract it
tar xf gcc-3.3.tar.gz
or
tar xf gcc-3.4.tar.gz
3. Go into the directory:
cd gcc-3.3
or
cd gcc-3.4
4. Type the following command exactly as is:
./configure --enable-languages=c,c++ --quiet
or, for all languages supported, just type
./configure --quiet
The reason I put --quiet here is to make sure you don't here a million checking... messages. It can get quite annoying. If any components are missing, make sure to download them either via apt-get or on ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu
5. Once it's finished, type
make -s
If that succeeds, type
sudo make install -s
Note: To use your old GCC, type /bin/gcc. To use the new one, type /usr/local/bin/gcc, or simply gcc at the prompt. If any of the commands above fail, then you've got a problem, especially if make -s fails.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github