2014-10-05 16:50:02

Hello,
I am studying abroad in Italy and think it is a crime that some of the italians have not seen movies like Bruce all mighty, Napoleon Dynamite, dumb and dumber and all the American classics.
I have a netflix account, but it doesn't work in Italy sadly. I am on a network that is super strict, to the point of absurdity (audiogames.net is blocked for example).
I have downloaded all kinds of Proxy software to test it, but either my school's firewall blocks it, or it doesn't work on netflix.
For example,
I used a 3 day trial of proxify to watch movies at a friend's house.
So I know watching Netflix movies is possible here, it is just getting the proxies I can use to work.
I think my best bet is using a VPS from Digital Ocean and running my own proxy through that. That is what I'm doing right now. I've got Glype and it works great except for the fact that It gives me an error on YouTube and Netflix.
I am considering going to Squid and giving Squid a try, but I'm not sure it will be any different.
All the forums and download pages for these things are blocked, so it is really a pain to learn anything or post in the forums.
I do have an IPhone with 1 gig of memory that I can connect my computer to, but I need to be careful as I only have 1 gig there. I posted on several other forums, asking for ideas, but haven't received any responses. The Glype developers were just like "go to the forums if you want to get support and we won't unblock our site from proxy access" because the forums at proxy.org are blocked by all proxies as well as my network.
So this leads me to think that Digital ocean is really the way to go as I can just change my IP or DNS if my network yells at me. Also, it is only $0.007 an hour. I don't know if I will need to get more data though to stream netflix. Does anyone know how video streaming works? I have the following on digital ocean:
512MBMemory
1 CoreProcessor
20GBSSD Disk
1TBTransfer

I really don't know what the above means, but considering my download speed is less than 100 MB a second, I think 500mb is plenty.

When I go onto netflix, I am able to log in, and when I click on a movie it opens up and shows something like a black screen like normal. It just does nothing. I wait for hours and the movie does not load.
I think the problem is that Javascript is not working and I have no idea how to allow Javascript through the Proxy.
For example, the "apps" button on Google's page does nothing when I click on it. That is javascript I believe.

I also have a question about creating groups and creating permissions for my www/html/folders.
I need the proxy to write to the folders, but I don't know how to tell the proxy from anyone else. My server is super unsafe with some of the folders that the proxy writes to read/writable by the public.
How do I just allow the proxy to read and write to the specific folders?
I'm running a LAMP server with all the latest software. It is a ubuntu distro, but I don't know the name.
Also, would it be a good idea to switch to jinx rather than using a patchy? I believe jinx is faster right?
thanks,

2014-10-05 21:03:20

If the only thing you are running on the server is a proxy, then don't worry about security so much.  I'm not sure why the proxy is writing to disk in the first place-my understanding of them is that they simply forward http requests.  It shouldn't be saving anything.
The important statistic is 1 TB transfer.  I'm not sure how this is broken down into outgoing and incoming bandwidth, but it's probably both.  Ram shouldn't be a concern for this kind of thing, nor is disk space.  Processor might be, but it's only you so not really.  If the total amount of data used by the server goes over 1 TB, you may be charged.  This is very, very unlikely to happen unless you hand your proxy out to all your friends.
Apache and Nginx are both fine.  Faster does not matter.  This guide might make a good starting point.  I'm the wrong person to ask about easier to configure; I found Nginx to be saner, if only because the config files were something like 20 times smaller, but then i came to it with a lot of background knowledge on what I was doing.  It's worth noting that it took a whole weekend the first time (I'm down to about 20 minutes now) and I've never used it for this purpose.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-10-06 08:24:23

@frastlin

Just get a cheap vpn subscription and stream to your computer.

Most web proxies aren't designed or intended for heavy video streaming.
For IOS and Android there are OpenVPN and a lot of cheap vpn providers.

m

2014-10-06 10:08:34

Hello, 90% of the VPNs are blocked by my internet host.
I will check out that tutorial soon!
Do you know a VPN that is really odd sounding and still works with videos?

2014-10-06 14:17:07

Hi.
www.hidemyass.com
is my answer. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-10-06 14:30:10

The problem with Hide My Ass is:
1. they are more expensive than even website hosting...
2. The free version does not play videos and
3. When I installed the HMA toolbar, my internet provider blocked the right-click option in firefox.

2014-10-06 15:03:08

I'm not sure that Nginx can actually stream.  Given that you're setting it up, it's possible you can cobble something together.  Now that my attention has been drawn, however, it's probably not 1-2-3.
If you can't afford a vPN, you can set one up.  I don't know how, and it's not simple.  I'd really suggest just paying for someone else's.  They're supposedly configuration nightmares, and this is coming from people who shrug and find Nginx simple.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-10-06 15:55:54

Proxy server configuration is not for the faint of heart. If you leave a proxy server open, you provide a route for bad people to do bad things. And although powerful, Squid and mod_proxy are insanely tedious to configure.

My advice: first, establish if you can tunnel VPN traffic. Most of the time, it suffices to install OpenVPN with TCP port 443 listening; then even the most restrictive firewall cannot prevent you from VPNing in, as long as they do not know that the host is a VPN server. That leaves open the option of looking for a VPN provider that is not yet known by the resident Gestapo.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-08 15:19:36 (edited by frastlin 2014-10-08 15:24:17)

Oh my word! I hate this!
Every darn VPN is blocked! LOL...
Either the VPN is blocked, or they are not setup to stream videos. Generally the really good VPNs require your host to not block them so you can use their on board software.

I need to learn about group permissions ASAP and remove the access to my logs and cookies folder from being public.
I have installed all the security updates Digital Ocean said to install on their getting started guide and I make sure to update everything when I see it has an update.

Are there any good ssh cliants that are pretty accessible that have a copy and paste option? What protocol do SSH cliants use? Isn't SSH its own protocol? Could I use a tellnet client to navigate my SSH?
Currently I use PuTTY, but it doesn't really tell me what characters I'm typing or let me paste. This makes it difficult to create super difficult passwords for everything because I need to remember them.

Update with videos and Glype:
I am able to watch YouTube videos for the most part, but there are a couple like:
Jizz in my pants
that give me an error when accessing them with my proxy.
I think it may be that for some reason I'm not on an https://...
Do I need to get an SSL certificate to use https? Or is there a hack to make the url say https?
Have any ideas?
thanks,

2014-10-08 18:08:48

Press shift+insert while in PuTTY's terminal to paste the contents of the clipboard to the active session.

m

2014-10-08 23:18:53

wait, shift+insert? You need to have a key in there, you can't just have mods... XD
Or are you meaning not the NVDA insert? Because I have a laptop where capslock is the insert key and that does not work at all sad

2014-10-09 10:50:18

Hmm, that's weird. I have used the free version of hidemyass to watch videos. That worked great but that was a while ago.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-12-09 04:44:51

I would recommend running a SSH Server you could use sox 5 proxying. You could trafic your Inter net through that and your ftp or bit torrent downloading. You will need to run your own SSH to your internet connection at your house with a static IP.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2014-12-09 07:51:39

Hmmm. Ya may want to check out the book: Imagine There's No Countries , for some tips. Not a free book, but worth grabbing.
Also, don't forget Codi (formally XBMC), though its best to download the version including the Kodi/XBMC TTS Plugin

Plenty of resources to get what ya want for sure.

2015-01-08 16:36:42

OK, tried all the above VPNs and they didn't work. Finally just found
express VPN and they have like 10 different types of connections and they worked!!! I've got 10 tabs open, my email, and about 3 other applications open that are connecting to the internet and they are running only a tiny bit slower than they would without the VPN.
This baby allows me to watch netflix off a school network and it is only $10 a month. Considering I can play swamp over it as well as watch netflix and download as much junk as I wish, I think it is perfect!
If you wish to get 30 days for free click
Here and you can get 30 days for free

2018-08-13 10:56:53

You can buy Firestick and install Netflix app on it. Here is a detailed instruction on how to do it properly https://www.firesticktricks.com/amazon- … -apps.html . Btw, you can find other great apps in that resource. Itl is updated on a regular basis and I encourage you to bookmark this page and check back frequently. By doing so, you will be able to stream free Movies, TV Shows, Live Television, and more.

2018-08-13 14:18:32

I think now netflix is available already in a lot of countries, so I don't think one need vpn to access it, unless they want access to the US titles.

2019-06-09 10:32:58

I have a FireStick for watching Netflix in the bedroom which I like a lot. Mostly I use Amazon Prime video and Netflix on that. We used to have Hulu as well, but I stopped paying for that because we just never watched it. I have jailbroken my Firestick according to this guide https://www.firestickhow.com/jailbreak-firestick.html  and have a prompt access to whatever I want anytime.

So, the jailbroken Firestick is great. Google is your best friend here.

2019-06-09 17:19:11

I'm glad you found your answer. Express VPN is the best when it comes to netflix.
most of the popular websites including netflix, youtube, facebook spotify and a lot more are blocked where I live, but I've made my life easier with this vpn.
There are other good Services out there too.  HMA and nordvpn are awesome as well. Each one works great in some way E.G. HMA is built for spead and eas of use but nordvpn's program isn't that accessible, on the other hand, nord allows custom server selection and this is great for those who need low latency for games or different  IPS for online shopping. I've had experience with a lot of them and so far, these are what I liked

:)