2014-10-02 11:59:53

Hi guys.

Following up the announcement and presentation of microsoft in 30th sebtembar, They have released the technical preview of windows 10, the next version of windows today.
The announcement and presentation didn't say any words about accessibility, and Microsoft's ScreenReader, though there is still a long way to go to the actual-consumer release.
Here's the webpage to the  developer preview, so you could download the new windows and give it a try.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2014-10-02 17:31:03

hi,
If you are under 18, you can't join the insider program so don't try.

2014-10-02 17:35:40 (edited by hadi.gsf 2014-10-02 17:36:15)

Here's thee iso links to download, and as the poster above also mentioned, you need to join the program, so you could state your opinion regarding the new windows.
I'm going to give this a try and recommend some improvements to windows's screenreader to see what'll happen. Probably if all of us join and  use the  insider program and suggest stuff, We'll see more improvements in regards to accessibility.

Link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2014-10-02 18:27:09

Windows 10? Not 9?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-10-02 19:09:00

Yeah. An interesting branding.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-10-02 19:55:17

It wouldn't be the first time a software company has skipped version numbers to make a product look more mature than it is, though in something as venerable as Windows it is an unusual choice. Personally it just gives me the impression that they aren't confident enough in their market position or their marketing strategies to guarantee success of this new version and so are resorting to alternative tactics.

I'm not saying that is the case, that is simply what I as a consumer read into it instead of the concept of a mature product. Perception counts for a lot in business and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will perceive this as a sign of MS's potential insecurity, in the confidence sense.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-10-03 08:38:10

No, 10, not 9, because Microsoft don't like the number, 9! Hahaha! big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-10-03 09:11:05 (edited by cx2 2014-10-03 09:11:33)

Reminds me of the faux news announcements in XCom Interceptor back when I was sighted.

The new operating system portals 66 has been renamed to Portals 67, not because it has been delayed because it hasn't oh no but because they feel the number 7 is sleeker and more futuristic to appeal to the younger crowd.

Portals 67 has been renamed to Portals 68, no delays still but because the number 8 is more user friendly with no sharp edges.

Portals 68 has been delayed, CEO says the nerds should be used to it by now and that no piece of software has ever been delivered on time with the exception of a single game in the late 90s (hint hint)

Portals 68 is no longer an operating system and will instead be a game where users have to hunt the bugs.

They genuinely did put those in the game, not word for word but that's the general gist.

cx2
-----

2014-10-03 11:10:53

Hi,
They are claiming that it matured more than a simple one-number release, so they are calling it windows ten. It apparently has quite a lot going for it, but honestly, I'm not sure. One thing that does sound cool is that if there's a keyboard and mouse connected, it'll go to desktop mode but if you buy a tablet with it, it's automatically in a mode enhanced for it, no more windows 8 rt or whatever it is.

2014-10-03 12:19:47 (edited by Nocturnus 2014-10-03 12:22:30)

I am windows 10, because I said so, and it has nothing to do with this being the 10th post.  Tee hee hee hee!

Windows 10: an operating system built for the user who has come to expect lists of 10 major reasons why he or she should not upgrade.  WE at Microsoft have always taken our userbase into consideration, which is why we've designed this nifty system by which you can keep track of the things we've messed up this time around.  We have 10 great fantastic flaws for you to look for that will keep you in frustration and fury for days to come as you attempt in vain to grow used to the platform upon which these problems lie.  We started out with 9, but somewhere along the way we picked up one that all of the other corporations didn't want on their own systems and integrated it into our own.  Your task is to be the first to find the 9 original problems with windows and submit them to as many tech magazines and news outlets as possible, after which we suggest looking for the 10th as an added bonus.  We promise to look into thinking about fixing the 10th irritation, a problem you obviously haven't noticed yet but will, once we end up fixing it because we have added a flaw on top of the flaw to show our sense of humor.  End of lame sense of humor from Nocturnus; time for a small rant.

IN all seriousness, that time I spoke of on another post on this forum located in a topic I can't be bothered digging up can't get here soon enough.  I can't wait until something finally gives; either MS is going to fall at long last and crumble and tumble into oblivion done in by its years of lack of true innovation and the fact that it forgot who it was serving to begin with, or it will rise above all of the other tech giants with an operating system the likes of which has never been dreamed up, allowing it to grab hold of the operating system market for another 10 years, an event I do not see as likely in the near future.  MS might have pushed itself ahead of apple and arguably many other companies, but that time has certainly come to an end.  XP is done for, 7 which was slightly more redeeming than Vista is heading out the door, and I'm sure within a year MS will try to act like 8 never was.  the fact that I've been able to get used to these systems does not mean that I've been thrilled with Microsoft's moves overall within these past few years; I haven't.  After waiting for them to turn this thing around, however, i'm coming to grips with the fact that even if they manage one spectacular thing with windows 10, it'll be too little, too late.  Besides, as much as it pains me to say this, Microsoft isn't that kind of company, the kind of company that focuses on flare and excecution, the kind of company that takes the in-your-face approach and delivers a product that sticks in people's minds for years to come, 98 and Xp apparently being the exceptions on the software end, 3-60 the possible candidate on the hardware.  That award goes to apple entirely; MS is too passive for its own good.  I'll give apple this much, they've taken risks and one can argue as to weather those risks were truly necessary, but they were risks they were willing to take nevertheless.  many features have been suggested to MS, features that could have easily been added in and at certain points were considered only to be abandoned soon after, and those considerations could have made all the difference for MS, all the difference in the world.  if they manage to release something that pacifies the nostalgia of XP users while simultaneously being the next big thing, they will have come across something miraculous, and that is precisely what they need now, a miracle.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-10-03 13:26:21

hello guys., how do I install the  windows 10 in a vm?

2014-10-03 15:47:50

Without a single dominant operating system we'll start seeing a lot more problems with market fragmentation, issues where some software is only available on one system or the other as well as making sure you get the right version for your OS. This is less of an issue with online activation as compared to buying the right physical version in days gone by but may still pose problems.

With too many varied operating systems, that would be at least three major players fighting for dominance, things would get really messy. You might buy a printer or scanner to find it doesn't have drivers for your operating system, or there may be bugs in the driver for one OS and not another. Your average user will just be totally bewildered, I'm talking about users like my mother who have just got the hang of the very basics.

Mac OS's biggest issue is it can't be purchased as a stand alone OS. This is Apple's business model, they sell the computer not the software in a sense, but it does limit the market share of the platform somewhat given the premium price Apple charge. I'm not saying this is or is not justified, simply stating that there will always be people who are looking to the lower end of the market and thus who will not buy a Mac.

cx2
-----

2014-10-03 21:28:40

Well, from what I've read so far it seems pretty mediocre. Mostly this is about giving back exclusive desktop users some amount of flexibility and convenience, but much of it is just "Eye candy" rather than actual feature improvement. And I think the XP spirit is gone and won't be coming back. Having said that, some businesses have frozen their Windows 8 uptake in response to Windows 10, so, make of that what you will.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-03 21:34:34

They skipped windows 9,  but it will be windows 10 with the version number 7.0 ! tongue

For the info, this is not the first time a company decide to skip a version number. Try to search winamp 4. I think that nestcape navigator at a time also did it.

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2014-10-03 22:46:48 (edited by queenslight 2014-10-03 22:50:17)

I wanted to share with yall, the following:
Windows 10 gets a fresh command prompt and lots of hotkeys
BTW, if ya haven't heard about "Power Shell," its now integrated in to that same command prompt feature.
Learn more about Power Shell, here:
http://www.powertheshell.com/
In general, it replaces the "standard" command prompt from Windows Vista to 8.1.1.
Crazy enough, Unix commands can be entered in to there as well.
Though, at least for me, that doesn't mean I'm upgrading... I myself  have a Sonar GNU/Linux 2014.1 in a virtual machine I'm playing with instead in my Win7 machine, which I hope to make the switch to Linux soon.

2014-10-04 07:24:27

Hi.

All right, so some comments and questions.

I installed the 32 bit iso file into vmware fusion on my mac. It did not ask me to enter the product key or to join the what ever program.
Why is this?
Also, I heard the preview would be updated, but apparently it's only for developers?
Next, is it just me, or has narrator gained some little tweaks? I havn't played with WIndows 8.1, but I'm noticing that narrator has sounds for moving the narrator cursor, pressing buttons and controls, etc. Is this new stuff or was this present in 8.1?
I also found a thing about advanced cursor mode, which seems to work like the VoiceOver cursor in mac OS X. Again, is this new in 10 or is it from 8?
I did play with WIndows 8 narrator briefly, so it's possible I missed some stuff.
I also like that the start menu is back. However, I'm owndering how to get rid of the stupid start screen? It's still present, although from what I've heard it's a smaller version of it. it's still usable with the keyboard and I want to get rid of it.

Overall, I'm not sure what to think of this update. WHile i know this is a beta, I still don't know.
I mainly want to know if the narrator improvements I've found are new to Windows 10 or are they from 8 or 8.1?

I'm still sticking to OS X, but maybe one of these days, I may reconsider WIndows again. THat won't happen until Microsoft enables narrator during the initial WIndows setup and further enhances narrator.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-10-04 09:11:30

Chris, the Windows 10 technical preview isn't just for developers. It's for peop;lle interested in Windows that want to see it grow - as Microsoft puts it, the people who know that BIOS isn't a new kind of fuel made from plants.
Narrator is mostly unchanged from the one in Windows 8.1. The one thing I noticed is that now no matter where you are you always have character and word navigation and I see 2 hotkeys, give negative feedback and give positive feedback, added to narrator. I also heard that it will be gaining scripting and braille support, so while it's not changed we can expect new things from it later, keep in mind this is very early builds and use that feedback app if you have thoughts. I don't think you cann get rid of the live tiles completely, but personally I find it quite useful - quickly checking the weather for example. I'm just happy I have my program groups back.
What else is new? Well, the command prompt was covered quite well already. Internally, IE's engine has been improved and according to benchmarks the javascript engine is now 60% faster. The browser itself is supposedly going to be renamed to spartan and have a more minimalistic chrome esc interface and a much easier way of developing extensions. Windows 10 will also be getting a notification center - all windows baloons now pop up using the new Windows 8 style toaasts. Cortana is also coming - and is aparently already available in internal builds at Microsoft, while in the technical preview people found traces, a couple of dll files, one of which had the sounds and a lot of registry entries.

My personal opinion? As it stands, there isn't that much new. Microsoft is promic9ing a lot, and if they want to really get back the people's users hearts it really has to work. If not, well, they'll have a problem.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-10-04 12:58:46

I really hope Microsoft knocks it out of the park with this one. They have a lot of potential, and I really hope they score big. They will need to win a lot of users back for sure. It's make or break at this point for them.

2014-10-04 17:44:05

Hi.

What do the give positive and negative feedback hotkeys do? I tried them but they appear to do nothing.

2014-10-04 18:14:13

You know, I might try windows 10. This is getting very interesting. Does anyone know if it runs on Macs?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-10-04 21:43:03

It should run on an Intel Mac assuming you have the specs for it, however you may run into problems setting up dual boot assuming you don't want to just completely replace OS X. Virtual machines are also an option.

cx2
-----

2014-10-04 22:24:28

I think it should run just fine if you want to bootcamp it. I myself went the virtual machine route, as you don't have speech during the bootcamp install.

As for the vmware installation, I loaded the Talking Pre-installation basic image into a virtual machine, waited until it started speaking, and then just swapped the basic iso for the Windows 10 iso. From that point, I just found the DVD drive and ran setup.exe and it worked like a charm through the rest of the install.

2014-10-05 01:57:47

Well
I think reguardless how thibngs go at least for countries like new Zealand, as long as people use pcs, they will use windows.
It won't matter weather old new, licenced or cracked, all software or at least the majority of software is for the pc and windows has been the dominant os for at least a large part of the world the part that can't afford it like india has been in Linux for donkeys ages for example, however since all games, most of them, most apps and a lot of stuff is still windows, weather we like it or not, pc users using pc hardware not macs or anything like that will be using windows of some sort.

Has ms lost it?
well maybe it has in the os market, the cloud market who knows and the rest?
I don't know, I doubt that it will completely die, maybe once everything stops being in windows who knows.
most of my software I own is in windows, so it makes sence for me to stay in windows and sadly to buy windows.
If I didn't use windows about 90% of everything wouldn't be usable unless I got a mac, a vm or something.
For me, windows will stay round.
7 for now, later I don't know.
I have 5 years and 2 months according to win7 lifecycle so maybe if ms has not died come win 20 or something who knows.
I jost hope for their sakes they get it right.
I do think a system to adapt to your device is cool, a tablet will be a full tablet os, if you put a keyboard to a tablet it becomes a desktop, I wander if I then put a touch pad to a pc if it becomes a tablet or can be used both ways.
Do you know what that could mean, everyone would have to catch up.

2014-10-05 09:04:33

Crashmaster, just to clarify modern Macs do use PC hardware. The only thing stopping Mac OS from running on a normal PC is Apple's restrictions.

cx2
-----

2014-10-05 11:01:25

Restrictions which, unsurprisingly have been more or less bypassed by the hackintosh community. There was a very brief time in the 90's when Apple allowed other companies to build Macintosh clones, but it was done during the time when Apple was having serious troubles and got heroically rescued by Steve Jobs... And Microsoft. Internet explorer was the default browser on Mac OS for a while. Of course, when Windows XP launched the biggest Apple user base became the professional market. However Mac OS hasn't really changed much over the years - maybe the way the controls look has, but the actual interface has been the same for many years and Apple is just building on top of it, making it more in line with iOS. With Windows, it almost feels like Microsoft's idea for a new Windows version is to completely redesign the user interface, except every time they do it doesn't work out very well for them, Vista is a good example. Windows Phone wasn't all that different, yes, maybe it had the live tiles which look awesome, but compared to Windows Mobile, the early versions were missing the most basic features like multitasking and, would you believe it, copy/paste. The result of this was all the users of Windows mobile would usually jump to either Android, if the person in question was a power user, or iOS. By the time Microsoft got to tackling Tablets, the market was neatly split between Google and Apple and few people wanted to buy Windows 8 tablets like the rediculously overpriced Surface. Microsoft was advertising it as the perfect productivity tool for businesses with full office apps. A few months later they had to release office for iPad which is still in the top app store charts, at least in Poland. To give you an idea just how much is riding on Windows 10... Microsoft is right now making more money off of FAT filesystem patentss that are used by Android then from their own phones, and Windows 8 mmarket share is bairly higher than that of Vista.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>